Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Not enough to stop being good friends with the people leading the court in that direction, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Truly this is the greatest crime of the supreme court.

I mean yes, who cares, but it does make her dissent ring hollow.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

Yes she has to smile and pretend to like the people taking away rights so they don't take away rights harder.

This is a common experience for a woman of color.

Are you saying you don't understand what she's doing or that you're just frustrated by it?

Hold on, "so they don't take away rights harder" implies that being extra nice to Clarence Thomas has slowed down the rate at which rights are being taken away, and I think you're going to have to show your work on that one.

e: I'm pretty sure there's no actual benefit to the claim of friendship and respect with her supposed ideological enemy and she was just being truthful.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 21, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Nothing sums up the Republican ethos as Ted Cruz describing "being a gamer" as someone who buys all the micro-transactions and doesn't actually play the game.
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1539058659304546304?s=20&t=KzGb1rVL-8HfWbfJbTgiiA

The rich in general, really.

Also his enjoyment coming not from the things themselves, but that he gets them easier than a poor person.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'd assume that a lot of the DeSantis/Trump base cross over and DeSantis hopes that the desire for a "fresh face" or the feeling of enough people that Trump could lose again will carry him.

It seems like DeSantis wants to run regardless of whether Trump decides to run or not, but I would put money on Trump winning the primary if they both run.

Yeah Primary Trump is a different beast entirely, he just tore through the leagues of empty suits like a knife through hot butter.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The gas tax holiday is bad policy and it is a good thing that Republicans are cynically opposed to it now because they don't want gas prices to go down and Democrats don't want to lower taxes or defund the federal highway fund.

- The last few times it has been done, about 30 to 35% of the benefit was kept by the gas retailers and oil companies.
- It would only be about a 14 cents per gallon reduction in retail prices if that trend held.
- Congress is too dysfunctional to find a new way to raise money and they will absolutely just let a crisis brew to restore funding at the last second and cause a lot of damage for no reason.

If you desperately need the retail price of gas to go as low as possible, regardless of costs or size of the reduction, and don't care about anything else, then it makes sense.

Honestly, I doubt Biden even really wants to do it. He was opposed to it in 2011 and this seems like another one of his "try something very visible to show than I am working on it, but I know it won't do anything" political moves, like calling the oil companies in to scold them.

There isn't much of anything he can do to single-handedly reduce the global price of oil, short of converting half the world's population to Amish, but he doesn't want to look like he isn't trying or just admit that there is nothing to be done for political reasons. So, they have decided his best option is to have a parade of highly visible actions that don't do anything because they assume it is the least bad option politically. They probably aren't wrong. Jimmy Carter destroyed his presidency by being honest and giving a televised address where he told Americans that there was nothing they could do about oil prices in the short term and they just had to try and manage it the best they could until it passes.

It would probably be more effective if the "pretend to do something" response wasn't his default.

IMO it would be better to direct peoples' ire towards the corporations/oil barons/etc jacking up the price, but that would probably upset donors.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I think this is supposed to be some stirring call to nonviolence and trust in the system, but in practice it just looks like they're going "lalalalalalala i can't hear you"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Queering Wheel posted:

I mean they're smart in the sense that they know how to obtain and wield power, but stupid in the sense that they hate women, minorities and LGBTQ+ people for no good reason and believe that angels are real

Unfortunately, #1 is the important part when it comes to executing #2

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Have Some Flowers! posted:

I know we're all trying to process what we can do personally to affect this situation, right, and I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I don't have all the answers or fault anyone for how they're working through this today. But if it helps, where I land is that you can simultaneously believe that:

1) the Democratic party is a failure and electoral politics won't save us
2) spending a few hours once a year on voting blue for harm reduction is worth your time

Direct action is increasingly our way forward, and that takes many hours sustained over days, weeks, months, years. It's personally expensive and even unsafe. A few hours voting may not accomplish much, but it does accomplish something, and the economy of that is tough to beat. We have to look at it as one small tool in a much larger toolbox.

Maybe someday our grandkids can just show up for 2 hours a year of voting to see the arc of the moral universe continue to bend towards justice. But that's not us.. we have to roll up our sleeves, get dirty, and make it loving bend.

It doesn't seem to actually be reducing harm, is the thing. Instead it just sends a giant message that you can be taken for granted.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

god. remember back during the primaries, when Joe Biden claimed he planned to support expanding Obamacare, and also that he was going to cure cancer

did that idea die the split second he won the primaries, or did he issue any lip service to it on the campaign trail

As per usual, any wisp of progressiveness was immediately dumpstered the second he had the primary locked in in favor of hiding in a basement and outright hostility towards anyone who questioned him.

For all the claims that progressive ideals just aren't electable every centrist seems to love pretending to be progressive when it's primary time.

Grouchio posted:

Have you been this pessimistic since Biden took office?

Pessimism would be to say that there is no hope and nothing you can do. Recognizing a dead end for what it is isn't actually pessimistic, it's just accepting reality.

When the brake line has been cut at some point you gotta accept that hammering that pedal isn't actually gonna do anything and it's time to figure out something else.

e: Though I won't judge someone either way for voting or not as long as they don't act like voting is some Big Accomplishment

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 25, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Okay for a second it felt like I was being told "there's nothing you can do besides vote; even if you invest/work/advocate for a group it won't be enough; fascism is inevitable" there.
Cause right now I'm too busy finding a new job to go to the pulpit as a joan-of-arc figure and inevitably get a martyr's bullet for my troubles, for daring to make a difference.
argh

Yeah keeping people too busy just trying to survive so they can't even think about rebelling is one of the Features of capitalism. Nobody's gonna judge you for not personally leading the peoples' revolution, just saying that voting probably isn't gonna do anything.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I struggle to imagine an outcome to the left rolling over and letting conservatives win that results in anything good. both at home and abroad

Well Democrats have helpfully provided a useful example of what would happen if the left did so.

-Blackadder- posted:

Mmm, the hypothesis that our present would be no different if in the past we'd just let Republicans win every elected position in government, is certainly an interesting one. Maybe a little unfair to Republicans though, I kind of feel like they've been working extra hard lately, to highlight the subtle differences in their policy priorities.

Shall we test this hypothesis? No one votes for the Democrats in the upcoming mid-terms and we'll see if that leads to Democrats implementing more progressive policies.

You're right, I shudder to imagine the nightmare scenario of Republicans getting everything they want with no pushback whatsoever beyond pithy words.

Also, voting for Democrats hasn't led to them implementing progressive policies or indeed doing anything besides punching left and grifting. I'm sure this time they'll be extremely grateful for leftist votes though.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 25, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

Public demonstrations have a much longer history than what we have seen in the US for the last 30 years. The idea can be to frighten power into considering what will happen if they don’t make some concessions. American thought has embraced a warped, neutered idea of what demonstrations are from the miseducation we receive about the civil rights movement and how it operated and won.

Yeah without that unspoken "or else" the ruling class typically just watches the cops lob tear gas into the crowd and laughs

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Boiling it down to the most basic level a mass protest is the message of "Hey, there's (x amount) of us and you're just some idiot in a big house. This scenario has the potential to go extremely badly for you."

Of course decades of propaganda obsfucated that until it became "Everyone stands outside the big house for a while, respectfully, before saluting our troops and the flag and going home."

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rigel posted:

If their demands are not going to be met by voting, then that means they are unpopular, the politicians and people in power will not fear or care about them at all, and there will not be ends met by "other means". Your "other means" (unless you are talking a serious going for broke violent revolution) would result in a lot of people being chased by the FBI and going to prison for a long time, sharing cells with the 1/6 insurrection idiots.

I'm beginning to realize that some people here actually think they can intimidate the people in power to give them what they want outside of elections. no, they won't fear you and they won't care. That is naive.

Politicians ignore popular issues, issues they often explicitly camapign on, all the time the second they take office. The only oponion that actually matters to them are donors', because

I know this sounds like "no u" but I can't honestly think of any other way to put this: this is an astoundingly naive take that takes for granted that monied interests, cynicism, and outright corruption haven't seeped into nearly every level of electoralism.

People think they can intimidate the ruling class because that is historically the only way they typically relinquish even the barest scrap of power. They think nothing of you, of anyone, and consider themselves above consequence. Again, historically, when it is shown to them that there are consequences(and I don't mean just being voted out into a cushy golden parachute) they change their tune extremely quickly. A lot non-revolutionary social change happens this way!

Queering Wheel posted:

People weren't trying to oppose a mass surveillance state with shitloads of cops and soldiers armed to the teeth with modern tools and weaponry for most of recorded history

Again we can look to the history of U.S leftism which is full of assassinations, psyops and in one case, bombing an entire neighbourhood(look up may 13, 1985). People were and are trying to oppose that, and the ruling class recognizes and fears it which is why they devote so many resources to crushing it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

Biden will not run for reelection.

David Axelrod is on the record saying he shouldn't and lots of others are now saying so off the record & on background. I doubt that Obama wants his legacy (further) marred by a failed Biden presidency staffed with Obama-era retreads.

Biden's polling has been dropping every week for almost a year now, and it's in Jimmy Carter territory if not worse. Pelosi openly defied his gas card idea, inflation & shortages have no end in sight, and candidates aren't asking him to come campaign with them this year.

He looks frail & doddering, and can't get through a five-minute speech without some faux pas. He's not improving with time, bc when you're that old things get worse over time, not better. He's the wrong guy for the job at this particular moment in time, and clearly not up to it, and the people who forced him on us now know that.

But the minute he announces that, he's got a lame-duck presidency & wannabes nipping at his heels, so I don't expect we'll hear anything till at least early next year.

I thought they kind of waffled on this, I've seen both answers multiple times. I mean yes, you've outlined extremely good reasons why it would be an awful idea to run him again, but that hasn't stopped the DNC before.

I guess the main issue is that they don't really have anyone(that the establishment likes) to replace him. Buttigieg keeps screwing up his pushes and Harris is even worse at pretending to be human than the already-robotic Democratic lineup.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I’m surprised in a good way that for some not online liberals I know this seems to be the final straw or near enough to abandon JUST VOTE BLUE. Like very formerly decorum brained people joking about the Kavanaugh plot.

There always comes at point, with rational people at least, where you can't hold up the :decorum: anymore and the entire wall of bullshit you've internalized to justify the system comes crumbling down. Everyone goes through it at some point, some take it better than others.

I only had like 5 meltdowns about it, a modest amount.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Came up before that the establishment has its youth wing too, and they have been waiting around for 30 years for literally any reward for their service. Joe Kennedy III I think was meant to be their rising star, and fuckin lol.

There was a point during the Trump years where they were shuffling through rising stars and "young" up-and-comers but every single one ate total poo poo almost immediately.

None of them have mastered the deep political skill of "having a personality"

e: The waiting period is vital to make sure that any principles and ideals are slowly ground out of the newcomers and the ruling class can rest assured that they're no danger to anyone important.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 26, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Twincityhacker posted:

Clearly the answer is to not vote and let an even smaller minority be able to vote in a fash.

Did you miss the part where the Dem was also anti-womens-rights(and if they agreed with the republican on that, they likely agreed on a lot more). Or is "lesser evil" counting degrees of fash now.

There was no good decision in that story. It was a pitch-perfect argument against electoralism really, a system that forces you to compromise your values, convince yourself you're doing good to feel better about it, and then gives you absolutely nothing in return is just rotten.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

cat botherer posted:

Real talk: what would it take for Pelosi to lose her speaker (soon minority leader) status? I can’t imagine anybody but the DCCist of the DCC think she’s doing great.

She has an iron grip on the position so the answer is either whenever she gets bored of it or those opposed to her leadership managing to keep their spines for longer than a day

FizFashizzle posted:

Enough shame to compel her to step down.

I don't think Pelosi has ever been ashamed of anything in her entire life.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Biden's already been called 'The American Brezhnev'.

They absolutely are. They spent decades having this mentality implanted in them, and since history went off the rails in 2016 they've been unable to reconcile that with reality all this time. They never had any other plan.

Harris in particular is a Clinton creature, perhaps the ideal of one. Which is why she's so completely useless.

Hillary herself kinda hangs at the outskirts of public consciousness and occasionally pops her head in to say "miss me yet" or punch left

No lessons were learned.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

She's a loving traitor to minorities and is an utter sellout. No one but old blue dog conservative Hispanic/Black people like her. No body likes her. She doesn't do well in any categories that would be needed to an inclusive coalition.

If she was a Republican they would absolutely love her.

(If anyone has evidence to the contrary I invite you to discuss it)

She spent her whole career sucking up to rich racists and throwing minorities in jail to assure said racists she was on their side, and as such has hit the highest level of favor a minority can reach in the eyes of the white elite: barely tolerated

azflyboy posted:

I realize your post is sarcastic, but does anyone actually like Harris?

I remember she initially generated some excitement for being the first woman of color nominated as VP, but that seems to have lasted about as long as it took for people to remember that her Presidential campaign went down in flames, she had been (metaphorically) in bed with the cops, and she's pretty terrible at interviews, so I'm unclear who she actually appeals to at the moment.

She's very much a Hillary understudy, from the inability to feel human emotion to the stone-cold certainty, based on nothing at all, that she will be president. Appealing to nobody at all is just part of the package.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Koos Group posted:

Where has she implied certainty that she'll be president?

Sorry, I should have clarified that that one's more of a personal bias based on how she frames herself as a Big Decision Maker in PR stunts, and the deluge of late-2021 stories about how she and Biden have become increasingly bitter at each-other over her being "sidelined". Harris always seems to be angling for something more politically while Biden wants her firmly in the court jester position he once occupied.

"Certainty" is a stretch but I think she definitely wants to keep climbing the ladder.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 29, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

-Blackadder- posted:

Hilary is purestrain East Coast Liberal White lady and has said some unbelievably racist poo poo in the past, but ironically, I thought she would've been decent in the chair.

She had some of the most exec experience of any one coming into the job. She stomped all over Trump in debates like an academic decathlete. She semed to have put an extensive amount of work into prepping for the position by study and making sure she knew her stuff, maybe even more than Obama's nerdy rear end. (It's been awhile so I could be misremembering).

The only real issue was likability/campaigning. Obviously those are important because candidates need to get elected to do the job. But it was frustrating as hell watching what was basically the honor student; someone who was practically over-prepared, stand next to the kid whose three sentences of notes are wrapped in chewing gum in his back pocket so he basically just made poo poo up. Like yeah, these candidates need to get elected but, Trump had to have his own stupid name fed to him in briefing reports to keep his attention. It couldn't have been more cartoonish if you recruited a pet rock to fly the space shuttle. It would be nice if we could at least acknowledge that this is a job important enough to be done by a semi-competent, informed person, who values knowledge. I feel like things have gotten so bad that we haven't even bothered to shoot for that standard in a while.

As for Harris, no black people I know, that know who she is, like her.

She was only "over-prepared" in the sense that she was too busy imagining the victory parade to actually do anything besides fundraise 24/7. I think she was also a complete idiot, just in an entirely different way from Trump.

Also, while the media and her weird hate-cult mixed it with insane conspiracies and accusations of witchcraft, she did legitimately have a terrible history of corruption and warmongering.

Honestly, neither of them should've been up there in the first place. One had no principles whatsoever and the other blindly copied the principles of the last person who spoke to him and said his name enough times.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Harris being weak and unpopular is a feature for the party power brokers, not a bug. The more help a candidate needs to stay afloat, the more leverage you have if you're in a position to provide that help, and the more compliant the candidate will be toward your goals

While this is true, she's in the unique position of being so incredibly weak and unpopular that they can't actually do anything with her.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

cat botherer posted:

He became a very important lesson about the need for leftist leaders to pay attention to their personal security.

Another very important lesson, the list of leftist leaders the U.S has murdered rolls out the door like a cartoon parchment

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The price is mostly going up because psychotic oil execs must have record profits every single year.

e: From what I can see "Flush with cash" was generally just a way to blame inflation on the scraps reluctantly given to the poor and not the trillion+ handed out to corporations at the drop of a hat.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Dems are running out of time to fill vacant court seats before they probably lose the Senate in November, and as of right now there is zero urgency to speed things up

https://twitter.com/matthewstiegler/status/1542132738404278272?s=21&t=9tj-OrjhB_8HxWWR4O4Egg

(Thread)

There's no rush, unless it's Trump's judges then we have to fast-track them all immediately.

Not sure where the government is specified there. The moral is still if you're a leftist leader that can't be corrupted then some of the ruling class will Take Steps to deal with you and the rest will pointedly look the other way.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

Love the optimism, but don't necessarily share it. Personal opinion is that we've had the last thing we will have for a very long time that resembled what the US has historically called a presidential election.

The GOP is going ape poo poo on every position at all levels of government that said no to the half baked coup. "Legally" removing their power, stuffing them to the gills with hard core ideologues, death threats to the people that remain. They learned the lessons from their dry run, know what to work on, and haven't stopped for years.

Pelosi wanted a strong Republican party and boy is she getting her wish.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

See, here it is again: the fantasy that Trump will face DeSantis in some sort of death match, when by all accounts they're buddies, and just last week Trump mentioned running as a joint ticket.

Why would "polite Republicans" even consider the idea of voting for DeSantis in the first place? Because he's not quite as vulgar as Trump while promoting the same ideas?

eta: On which points do the two disagree? Have they ever disagreed with each other publicly?

To be fair Trump can, and almost always does, turn against his allies at the drop of a hat for any perceived slight. I agree that the idea of Republicans doing the strategic voting electability song and dance is pure fantasy though. Their politicians do what they want(or have been convinced they want by the TV) so GOP voters don't really have a need to bother with all that nose-holding.

If Trump runs again he'll have a red carpet rolled out for him.

Flying-PCP posted:

The basic incumbency power of a Biden corpse running in 2024 is probably worth more than the amount of charisma and popularity of all the other presidential candidate hopefuls.

If his approval keeps nosediving at it's current rate that may change.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

some plague rats posted:

I don't but the death match scenario either, but I just cannot see a Trump/DeSantis ticket happening, not for ideological reasons, but because I don't buy either of them being willing to play second fiddle. Trump would never accept VP, obviously, and DeSantis doesn't strike me as a guy who would be willing to put his ambitions on hold, especially at the cost of hurting his own chances by getting Mike Penced for everything that goes wrong. That leaves a contested primary, which DeSantis loses handily for the simple reason that he's a stiff, unlikeable dork. He plays the culture war game as best he can but the guy has zero personal charisma, trump would bully him off the stage the first time they met.

The probation message is the perfect punchline that this post needed, well done mods

On the Pence'd thing let's not forget that Trump is an undisputed master at convincing people he works with that they're singularly special and definitely won't be thrown under the bus the millisecond something goes wrong, unlike every other person he has ever worked with.

I agree that DeSantis probably wouldn't accept second-fiddle though.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The real answer to stop mass shootings is to address the many, many soceital problems that lead to someone doing that in the first place, but that would involve acknowleding how deeply rotten the system is and boy are politicians not interested in that at all.

PT6A posted:

Not treating minors like property of their parents, or suggesting that you can't assault them under the guise of "discipline"? That's absurd and un-American!

There are public schools in the US where teachers are permitted to hit children with paddles -- assault and battery with a weapon. It still blows my mind.

Victims of parental/educational abuse sometimes grow up and advocate for those same things, usually out of a desperate desire to believe that the people they looked up to were normal and doing it for their own good and not just pieces of poo poo taking out theiir stress on children. This is where a lot of the accusations of Coddling The Youth comes from and leads to poo poo like the ol' Learning Paddle still going on.

Of course, some people are also just lovely and want to hit children.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

That is definitely a part of it, but many other countries with much more robust social support systems have as much or more violent crime than the U.S. and just as much mental illness, but the difference is that when someone goes on a rampage with a knife or a bat, that they usually can't hit 30+ people in a few seconds.

The U.K. actually has more violent crime overall than the U.S., but their crimes are dramatically less likely to involve a body count and their armed robberies are much less likely to escalate to homicide.

Mental health, societal problems, etc. are all important pieces. But, the main difference between the U.S. and other countries is the ease of access and available firepower of guns.

Edit: And, of course, most shooting deaths in the U.S. aren't from "mass" shootings and are from situations where 1 to 2 people are killed at a time happening 45,000 times over the course of the year.

True, I never meant to imply that everyone having easy access to murder machines isn't A Problem in of itself. As Gumball said I should have used killings rather than shootings.

Guns going away would definitely lower the body count by a ton, and that is good, but a body count is still going to be there as long as the root problems go unaddressed.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ogmius815 posted:

I mean if your theory is just that Mitch is lying and he won’t hold up his end of the bargain, that’s easily remedied. Chuck Schumer gives McConell a list of judges he wants to confirm before sine die adjournment. He indicates they will be confirmed in the order listed. “I call your attention to the last name on the list, your buddy you want to get a job for. We’ll get to who we get to.”

That's not how Democrats negotiate with him though. Standard procedure(esp. from Biden and Schumer) is to immediately agree to do whatever he wants in exchange for some vague future promise that he will never fulfill.

For all his reputation as an evil mastermind Mitch isn't actually that clever, he just stands out as a super genius amongst the absolute ding-dongs in Congress.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Democrats need the myth of the Moderate Reasonable Republican. because without it their constant posturing about "working across the isle" and "bipartisan compromise" makes them look like they're spineless idiots that spent the past half a century eagerly clapping like seals at people who have expressed, publicly, the desire to kill them multiple times.

There is, of course, a single snag to this: Moderate Reasonable Republicans don't actually exist. So the desperate Democrats will basically worship any monster who says vaguely condemning things about Trump or whatever while still being, y'know, monsters.

Thus: Liz Cheney. Or George W Bush. Or Mitt Romney for a little while. Or John McCain.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Considering how eager Democrats are to worship the ground she walks on in exchange for the barest surface-level opposition to Trump I wouldn't say she's politically immolating.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sharkie posted:

What danger does he face from potential bribery implications? Like, what would that look like and what would the actual consequences be?

Why does the Democratic Party care more about working with Republicans to give money to the military than they do about abortion rights? I am ready to vote so hard right now, if anyone has any recommendations for a political party that won't abandon abortion rights for defense spending, I'm all ears.

Do you think this is a wise move that will stop Republicans from calling Democrats weak on defense?

Considering that currently Republicans are putting all the blame on Democrats for uh, stealing and eating children, abandoning good things in order to appease the people that think you're literally agents of literal Satan and will attack you relentlessly regardless of what you do doesn't seem very smart. Or moral.

Democrats get fat stacks of legalized bribery lobbyist cash from overfunding more useless military projects, while womens' rights only help 1/2 of the rabble population and can thus be ignored.

Also yes basing any action on whether Republicans will be mean to you is a fools' errand, Joe Biden is a straight-up conservative who has spent his entire career trying to give Republicans everything they want with a pathetic desperation and they still call him a triple communist.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

It's marketing. They gotta take credit for what they can or the opposition capitalizes on it. :shrug:

People are going to blame them for the economy either way, so they might as well take credit for the "good."

It's such a small thing to the point where celebrating it just reeks of desperation.

Mr Hootington posted:

Yellen and Biden both saying they agree with Powell and that they support Powell's moves to cause a recession places blame on them. The reduction in government spending Biden is bragging about also adds negative pressure to gdp.

Edit: one of the ideas kicking around the "economic intelligentsia" is allowing the student loan forbearance to end so less money is available to the underclasses to spend so inflation will go down.

A forced recession is probably the worst possible answer to inflation, but it's the only one that the rich will accept so the poors will just have to deal with it(as usual).

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

It might be the only option our evil system taught them to use, but they also want to destroy all wealth holdings for anyone below the top 10%.

The stimulus and expanded unemployment really pissed off the ruling elite. They do not view that money and wealth as earned by the undeserving poor. That is their rightful money and wealth so they are clawing it back through prices increases. Inflation wasn't a problem until wages started going up in october/November 2021.

Edit: the forced recession isn't about goods and services inflstion, but wage inflation and the need to suppress workers. The fed thinks the labor/capital relationship is out of balance and labor has too much power.

I thought the $20001600 cheques is where the whining started about all the WASTEFUL SPENDING(ignoring the trillion+ just handed out to corporations).

But yes you're absolutely correct that it's about suppressing workers. Workers are(slowly) rediscovering their actual power in the labor/capital relationship and the ruling class aren't a fan of that at all.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

I feel like this is completely missing my point. The job of the left isn't to move the Democratic Party left, it's to drag the voters left. If we can turn the eligible voting population of a particular Democrat's district into a bunch of raging socialists, that Democrat will be forced to either move left or be replaced. Rinse and repeat. Rather than focusing on convincing politicians, we should be focusing on convincing those politicians' voters. The right gets that, and many effective issue lobbyists get that. We need to get with it as well.

The goal isn't to convince politicians, the goal is to convince people. Convince everyone. Politicians' ability to stand against their own constituents strong desires is actually fairly limited.

They do it all the time, though? There's a ton of popular policy that Dems will actively fight against(healthcare and legal weed are the easy examples) and no amount of constituent enthusiasm(within electoralism, anyway) will make them do it. The most they will do is campaign on it then immediately forget the issue the second they win the primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Vanguard Warden posted:

Holding power also prevents someone else from holding it, and then in turn from wielding it, and right now there's a bunch of theocratic fascists who would very much like to do so and then prevent anyone else from ever doing so again.

It doesn't seem to prevent anything when the supposed stopgap is just casually waving them through and taking steps to protect the oppressors.