Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The current economic situation has nothing to do with central banks and everything to do with supply shocks/supply chain breakdown, and greed. We're still dealing with the effects of supply chain fuckery dating back to 2020, and it's being compounded by things like China doing periodic lockdowns and the Ukraine War. It's raising the cost of everything, and the Fed raising interest rates is going to just make this worse and probably cause a recession, since the causes of inflation are almost entirely out of the hands of the Fed's reach. I am very nervous about the Fed causing a stagflation spiral by raising rates so fast, which is more than likely going to trigger a recession. Of course the Fed and a lot of the people who support raising interest rates are mostly trying to argue that higher wages are a major cause of inflation, but these issues have been going on before wages generally increased for people, and inflation has more than overtaken any wage gains made in the last 2 or so years.

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

Well the cops lied about rifles and shields, too. It wasn't just "oh we only had pistols". They had rifles.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/06/20/uvalde-police-shooting-response-records/

Jesus Christ

So yes, the Uvalde cops were just a bunch of cowards then, as suspected

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

As expected, SCOTUS takes another hammer blow at the Establishment Clause

https://twitter.com/scotusblog/status/1539254884670877696?s=21&t=aSXY0NvaHzheX594Y8uCSQ

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

More than two years after South Dakota AG Jason Ravnsborg killed a man with his car on the highway and fled the scene, he was finally removed from office during his impeachment trial. He had been refusing to resign and forced the supermajority GOP state legislature to impeach and remove him.

https://twitter.com/TomKludt/status/1539373079733862400?s=20&t=PcZ7HmPvxfzded_YixvGQQ

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Incredibly easy for congress to find money for war. For the American people? ehhhhhhh
Not only that, but they actually gave the DoD MORE than what Biden wanted in his budget

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The 8th Circuit ruled against a man who had sued a state saying that forcing him to sign a pledge not to boycott Israel does not violate the 1st Amendment.

https://twitter.com/juliabacha/status/1539673632062013446?s=21&t=_VlQaXPYfWmTrEnesmTn7w

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

The GOP can preclude Trump announcing any time it wants, they need simply require any potential candidate to disclose their taxes. Whether or not they do this is the real test of how much leadership doesn't want him in the running.

DeSantis is a terrifying prospect because it'd be Youngkin all over again, except nationally this time and as hard times trickle upward into the middle class we're going to get more and more cases of the "ah, time for fascism" switch so many moderates have in their brains in case of threats to property values or gas prices going up, and now we've got a good chunk of them who've just been encouraged for 6+ years to pine for people like Kasich and Dubbya as Sensible and Pragmatic Leadership which they'll slide DeSantis right alongside without any mental effort at all.

I'm really hoping for either Trump himself or Trump excluded and now dedicated to being a wrecker.

Would love to see blue state governments start to force people to pledge to never donate to the GOP so we can get a followup ruling that the previous one only counts when it's in service of right wing causes
As a Floridian I am extremely concerned about a DeSantis run. He's relatively careful about his appearances, but he gives the base all of the red meat they want, between completely absurd laws that get overturned in court (but he gets to brag about passing them) and also playing to right-wing media. He's arguably worse than Trump in terms of policies but much smarter about how he deal with the media. It's concerning because in 2020 Biden basically got elected because the right-leaning suburbs couldn't stand Trump so they voted for Biden. But I don't think that would happen if DeSantis runs. He's definitely going to use the Youngkin playbook of pushing culture war poo poo (which is most of what he does these days), while also dragging the Dems for the economy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

He also has a similar cult like and fanatical following, at least in the state of Florida. I see all kinds of flags and stickers worshiping him in similar ways. I like to visit flea markets to save money and, dear god, they're rife with this right wing poo poo. T-shirts, guns, banners, flags, stickers, posters. Rednecks talking poo poo. I feel quite confident saying we're getting either Trump or Desantis in two years but will cede that where I live may not be a barometer for the entire country.

I'd consider otherwise if for the fact that we have to run on Joe Biden and all his kick rear end accomplishments. Pretty sure we're going to continue taking hard right hand turns though.
I'm skeptical Biden is the nominee in 2024, the way things are going. And I'm not even factoring in the obvious age issue.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oracle posted:

Pritzker is the one that's doing the tours of NE states like New Hampshire and he's quite popular in Illinois.
He's actually not a bad option, especially when the alternative is what, Kamala?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rappaport posted:

This is some Marty McFly positioning you have going on here, friend. The escalator event was something that no one prognosticated, that I could have seen at the time, and I am an avid fan of US politics!, and during his run a vast majority of the media circuit treated him as a joke. Literally, we have John Oliver apologizing for the fact! It wasn't until, say, Chris Christie suicide-bombing himself on Rubio that anyone on the circuit figured this might be happening, and even then, barely. You remember Cruz's running mate falling through a floor?

Ronald Reagan was asked to run while Nixon was doing rounds in 1968, it is laughable that you'd bring him up in comparison to what is happening today.
Reagan almost got the nomination in 1976 over Gerald Ford as well. He was considered a major GOP figure going back into the '50s and then into the '60s when he was Governor of CA and cracking down on the Black Panthers and student protesters.

I have also never heard about Trump supposedly being a major frontrunner in 1996. It doesn't really matter anyway because he didn't actually launch a campaign.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

You didn't watch The Simpsons back then?
Yes but it's been awhile

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

McCaughey is way more likely to win than Beto and way more likely to implement good things than any Republican in Texas so it seems like a no-brainer to support him running for Governor there
He's not running

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

A single hot dog is now $4,000

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So the Supreme Court essentially made all gun control regulation impossible today

https://twitter.com/mjs_dc/status/1539979577828802560?s=21&t=CEAKvRx6ZyndWA3gw3hg6g

(Thread)

tl;dr- The Court essentially ruled that they are establishing a new test on gun restrictions where courts are no longer allowed to use the possibility of violence as a reason to place restrictions on guns

This is complete insanity

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’m so glad that the Court let a guy with a completely dead judicial philosophy determine that anyone can have guns now

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Meatball posted:

I wonder how long those requirements are going to be around before this court strikes those down.
I don’t see why this isn’t just a step below Constitutional Carry

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Looking forward to the Dems’ various statements about being ‘very concerned’ while it just became illegal to get an abortion in a double digit amount of states

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

theCalamity posted:

Speaking of blackouts and energy, what are Democrats doing to stave off climate crisis? Climate crisis is/going to be the major factor in fascism and it's going to get worse. If we vote blue no matter who, we will be voting for democrats who will barely lift a finger to substantially change the way our cities are built or hold corporations accountable for disasters.
All of the halfway decent climate stuff died when the BBB died

So the only things that may get done are via executive action.

We also have that Supreme Court EPA ruling to look forward to next week, which is probably going to say that the EPA is not allowed to regulate greenhouse gases.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

theCalamity posted:

I would love to see that happen. It honestly needs to happen if the Democrats hope to win anything in the future.
I’m just wondering who, if anyone, is willing to defy the party to do this

Because whoever does it will be excommunicated from the party going forward

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

a government full of Henry Cuellars will not help you, and the leadership has just finished telling you they will personally intervene to make sure there are as many of him in congress as possible.

the party that was given a month's warning for this, and responded by having Pelosi read a poem, does not care. the sooner you can accept this, the better.
As low my view is of party leadership, I really can't believe that when this dropped they all collectively shrugged and made some vague platitudes about voting in November. You had like two months to formulate a strategy for this! What are you even doing??

So yes, when I see things like this I'm not going to stand up and defend this party as something to vote for. God knows down here in FL the national party has abandoned us, and just allowed the FL Dems to run mostly former Republicans for major positions in the state, which has gone about as well as you can imagine it would.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s the candidate’s job to convince people to vote for them. That’s pretty much the entire issue. The democrats dug their own grave because they couldn’t deliver enough things that were important to people. That’s it.
The Dems have spent the entire Trump era just pointing at him and pointing out that he's bad while not actually offering anything tangible in alternative. Biden's platform was pretty pathetic compared to Obama.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yeah, it's not a good ruling. But, it doesn't require or allow schools to mandate prayer like the other person was saying.

This is dipping a toe into making unofficial prayer sessions okay by school officials. Previously, courts had held that even the appearance of a public school official favoring one religion (even if it was their own) as part of their duties violated the establishment clause.

This is essentially allowing the coach to pray while on the clock and allow other people to join in as long as the school doesn't sponsor it, make it a requirement, and he does it in a public place (not in a classroom, but outside on school property like the stadium/parking lot/lawn is okay). Even though it could give the appearance of favoring one religion or put social pressure on people to participate.
To me this whole thing feels like a slippery slope issue and a direct attack on the Establishment Clause. “Oh, it’s ok because technically it’s after the game and technically he’s not on the clock at that point”

It’s insidious because as another sports person pointed out, you are going to end up peer pressuring people into complying

https://twitter.com/edgeofsports/status/1541431839331684353?s=21&t=m4qOEBAG-37O-Ybay4qEqw

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kalli posted:

She's black, homosexual and a fairly high profile athlete, so a very easy target. While not a household name, turn on ESPN and you'll have heard her come up fairly often over the past decade.

The WNBA pays so poorly that many of its players also play in foreign leagues as well, with Russia being the largest I believe.

I believe she's being held both as a bargaining chip, but also to spit in america's eye so to speak.
Yes Russia is a very lucrative place for women’s basketball. It’s hard for women to make anywhere near that kind of money in the US during the WNBA offseason.

Turkey and certain parts of Europe are other places that they travel to in order to get paid more.

The Brittany Griner incident apparently has a lot of women’s athletes rethinking playing overseas.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Hmm I wonder why he would want to be able to sue media organizations more easily? Probably no reason.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

selec posted:

They do not care to fix it is the clearest read I can get here. It’s literally not a pressing issue for them so they’ve decided the bar they have to reach to care about it publicly besides some Sad Tweets is impossibly high.
I'm increasingly certain that they plan to run on abortion to some degree in November. Because they're certainly not going to be able to run on the economy by then.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cimber posted:

Well, lets see what Fox is saying....

....nothing much.

I love that there are two Hunter Biden stories on their front page

They are really connected to the pulse of America on FoxNews.com. The gas price tracker thing also feels like a parody.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Dems are running out of time to fill vacant court seats before they probably lose the Senate in November, and as of right now there is zero urgency to speed things up

https://twitter.com/matthewstiegler/status/1542132738404278272?s=21&t=9tj-OrjhB_8HxWWR4O4Egg

(Thread)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I gotta believe this poll is an outlier until I see another one.

Interestingly, the Q poll has historically been getting far more negative results for Biden than other polls (and it still shows Biden's approval at a new low for the poll) and is generally more favorable to Democratic congressional candidates. Abrams and Kemp are tied for Governor, so the surge seems to be entirely around Warnock and not other Democrats. That gives it a little more credibility since the result isn't entirely due to a sampling error.

Warnock seems to be edging ahead not because of a specific policy, but because a majority of people dislike Hershel Walker personally and think he is dishonest, not a good communicator, doesn't have good leadership skills, and doesn't care about regular Georgians.

I'm sure that Warnock and GA Dems are praying for another 2014 where they should have been totally wiped out, but a few terrible Republican nominees for Senate managed to sabotage easy wins in Red states.

Need to see another poll from a different pollster to confirm if this is a real surge or not, though.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1542207588321955840
The only discussion since Walker won the GOP nomination has been about all of his secret children so I’m sure that doesn’t help

It’s also abundantly clear when Walker speaks that he comes off as confused.

As an example-

https://twitter.com/nothoodlum/status/1537115232191057920?s=21&t=Qp9WRGjXvLpBaJ1UvE3Xyg

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oracle posted:

Hershel Walker really is that bad. Like the man cannot string two sentences together coherently, a new illegitimate kid pops up every week, he stands for absolutely nothing that anyone can ascertain other than 'the Republicans put me up here' and while that might be a hard but palatable pill for your average blood red Republican to swallow, he's also black, and only white men can be utterly without merit and excel in the current system.
Right, and he can't even do the performative 'say Trumpy things' that any other bog-standard Republican can do. He's not even coherent enough for that. The only reason he won that primary is because Trump endorsed him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's because of the "Blue Slip System."

Home state Senators get to nominate circuit judges for their state. When a state has 2 Rs or 2 Ds and the President is of the other party, they usually work out a compromise candidate. But, R Senators have just been refusing to nominate anyone to those seats or nominating someone the White House thinks is too far to consider a compromise. See the famous "Dick Durbin gets sad when Ron Johnson blocks his own nominated judge for Wisconsin" story going around last week.

The blue slip system has been in place since the Senate started, but there is nothing mandating that they do it and they could change the rules if all 50 Dems agreed. But, I imagine that many individual Senators don't want to give up that power/break 225+ years of tradition/fear that McConnell would slow everything else down in retaliation.

It should surprise nobody that the GOP did briefly wave blue slip requirements (but, not get rid of them entirely) for some nominees in 2019 when Democrats refused to nominate "acceptable" compromise candidates for Trump. They did let Democrats block some of them until they struck a deal on nominees, though.
I didn't realize until earlier today that they are still honoring blue slips for nominees. That's just completely insane to me. The GOP previously ignored them entirely from Dems so it's incredibly frustrating that Dems are once again allowing the GOP to slow things down. Especially when odds are pretty good that the Dems lose the Senate again in November.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It amazes me that Iran has even agreed to discuss this again after Trump threw the agreement in the trash out of spite for Obama, and not because Iran did anything wrong

As was mentioned, if we can't even 100% commit to our end of this deal, why would Iran agree to anything? I get that they are probably desperate, to a degree, but they're not stupid.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Edit: beaten

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Well Democracy had a good run I guess

https://twitter.com/scotusblog/status/1542521353344913417?s=21&t=qesPTpaIeqESaGXZuuteGA

I can’t imagine them taking this up is going to end well for this country

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The timing on that is conspicuous and not in the direction you're suggesting.
Yeah there’s no way that I give this court the benefit of the doubt

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

They are done "sneaking through" poo poo. I would think that's pretty obvious at this point.
They just saw that the Dems shrugged at the end of Roe. They’re ready to just go for it and enshrine permanent Republican rule.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

According to WaPo, they finalized the prescription drug provision and plans to submit it to the parliamentarian, got Manchin's approval, and set a target date for a vote five hours before Leahy fell and injured himself. Like a black comedy or satire.

Hopefully, he can vote in the next 1 to 1.5 months.
I don’t know what the rules are about this, but I’m assuming they can maybe allow a remote vote for him?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rigel posted:

I think it might have had an impact if we never had the public 1/6 hearings, but I do not think it will have any impact whatsoever now. If the DOJ doesn't indict, it won't be because they were thinking about it but then got scared of people accusing them of protecting Biden from a declared candidate, it would mean that Garland never had any intention of doing it no matter what happened.
I don't believe for even a second that Garland has the balls to do that. It would be unprecedented, and while justified, I don't believe this admin wants that heat. If he wasn't running their calculus might be different, but because more than likely he formally declares to run by the end of this year (probably), I doubt they ever do anything. The state prosecutions in places like NY and GA where there are ongoing cases are a different story, but I don't think either of those ends with him facing criminal charges.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

VorpalBunny posted:

That must be why Newsom is running ads in Florida, of all places. The slow steady wedging of a "fresh young face" onto the national stage.
I think part of this is because CA has so much money they have to spend it on something. They’ve already given Californians money twice as direct payments.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Bishyaler posted:

Bullets, famously known for nestling neatly into the sides of hats with zero deformation and still attached to their casing. Imagine the contempt you need for everyone around you to even consider selling this story.
I mean that reporter immediately just tweeted out the photo uncritically so….

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

PT6A posted:

Not treating minors like property of their parents, or suggesting that you can't assault them under the guise of "discipline"? That's absurd and un-American!

There are public schools in the US where teachers are permitted to hit children with paddles -- assault and battery with a weapon. It still blows my mind.
Yeah if you look at SCOTUS case law with regards to minors at schools, it’s incredibly depressing

For the most part they defer to schools since apparently you just magically attain rights when you turn 18