Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

some plague rats posted:

To lighten the mood, I was reading one of the bad threads and I ran across this extremely darkly funny excerpt from Yesterday's Man:

Joe Biden had never once passed up a chance to have his wallet inspected, has he

Honestly incredible. It's not a surprise to me that Biden considers politics be nothing more than a game played with people's lives, but I'm still shocked at how loving bad he is at playing the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
She could simply not go out of her way to praise once of the worst pieces of poo poo currently alive

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/SawyerHackett/status/1539405926905569284

to reiterate, the pigs absolutely, undoubtedly, 100% killed children

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Seriously why are you advocating aping straight up bigotry, that's hosed up.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Fritz the Horse posted:

Discendo Vox provided an argument for why mentioning China or Russia would be directly relevant (they are the main sources of drugs repackaged as supplements). The framing of his suggestion for talking to Republicans is to push "made in America" in contrast to foreign drugs, which is a nationalistic sentiment. If you have a GOP representative and don't want to use that approach, don't.

The only reason this seems reasonable is that we are propagandized to consider bigotry against foreign countries to not be that big of a deal. We all would rightfully consider falsely claiming to support racist or queerphobic beliefs, even from a pragmatic perspective, to be hosed up, and these xenophobic attitudes are part and parcel of the same wellspring of bigotry

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

theCalamity posted:

https://twitter.com/Jordanfabian/status/1540731554585989121?s=20&t=o9Hkx5MTWOjAm2aQ89tTjw

They've had so much time to come up with a plan. They knew this was coming. Yet they don't have a plan

Honestly starting to wonder when Biden starts becoming in danger of being primaried at this point

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Never. They'll burn down the party UK Labour-style before letting that happen.

Idk, it worked on LBJ!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

MadJackal posted:

The Internet Leftist hot takes are that the Democrats are magically responsible for the overturn of Roe v Wade, while mainstream Democrats were saying all along, "If you give these nuts any amount of power, bad things will happen."

And the Internet Leftist hot take in 2016 was Don't Vote Democrat.

Accelerationism doesn't work in the direction Internet Leftists thought it would.

leftists, at least ones who voted for bernie, voted for hillary in huge loving numbers, though.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Which of those states do not require intent or neglect for a mother to be charged with murder or feticide? Because I have never heard of one that exists and reading through that list shows that every single one either requires negligence, exempts the mother, or just ties it to the definition of murder (which, by definition, requires intent).

Wasn't Texas literally in the news recently for charging a woman who suffered a miscarriage with something like 3rd degree manslaughter?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

selec posted:

https://twitter.com/sensanders/status/1542172959925850114?s=21&t=uPiyRyerNa8cZwDpwXterA

Sanders continues to distance himself from the party line by showing them what fighting for people would look like when the rest of the party seems to have gone into a protective crouch.

there's a joke somewhere about bernie being the only person who remembers pete is actually part of the administration

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

You're not the Supreme Court, and neither is this thread. My post explaining conflict of laws already discussed why this is unlikely to transpire. Responding to it with nothing but "yes, but the fascists are so angrypowerful they can ignore all information, and therefore so can I" doesn't actually promote any kind of discussion or detail.

It's extremely weak on your part to try to pull rank on the topic of the SCOTUS of all things. It is manifestly obvious the current court will ignore all precedent when they desire to do so, so insisting on a rules-based order seems like you're the one who is out of touch with reality.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Then Biden shoots it down and nothing changes. Either ends the same way basically because the current judge is relatively young for a judge and isn’t dying any time soon and probably won’t be replaced by Biden or whoever comes after by their choice.

Pete is ok. Prefer others though.

why would biden shoot it down he sought out this deal himself

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Keyser_Soze posted:

Pete is a centrist cyborg but is at least "electable" and could win against the fundy fascist chuds and can also discuss things without drooling all over himself or screaming and farting like Dumb Donnie.

Meanwhile, we all wait for the "magical internet marxist to unite us all" currently serving (undercover of course) on a school board in Cleveland to finally work their way up to national politics.

..........and yeah, Bernie remains the most coherent over 80 year old around and shrugged off a heart attack in like a week. I will keep donating to him.

Speaking of Kamala

https://twitter.com/juleneely/status/1542970922994384899?t=k31nMJEHXPgaHvtMRWxbJw&s=19

This is electoral malpractice lmao

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Jimmy Carter speed run? Really not getting the comparisons between Biden and Carter. Granted Carter was before my time, but from what I've read about the guy he seems like he was on the right side of history on most things and was sure as poo poo less evil than the guy who came after him (Ronald "let's ignore AIDS and destroy unions" Reagan).

Carter was a complete catastrophe in office, including feuding with democrat leaders in Congress to the point he threatened to veto a universal healthcare bill

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Biden's already done good things for plenty of people, though. Sure, his legislative initiatives have largely stalled in Congress through no real fault of his own, but he and his administration have used executive power for some good things, including some things that covered for Congress' failings.

He may not have done as much as many of us would like, but it's just plain wrong to say that he's done nothing.

It's more accurate to say what he has done is woefully insufficient

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
some lighter news, eve simmons is reporting the facts that Big Weed doesnt want you to know!

https://twitter.com/EveSimmns/status/1543262601517289473

https://twitter.com/EveSimmns/status/1543263481679360000

seriously "sunny (smelly)" is loving sending me lmao

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Cimber posted:

I think that Biden is a victim more of circumstance than of inability. A lot of the things that are dragging him down are way outside his control.

The factors that make him unable to rise to the occasion will only be exacerbated come 2024, not abated

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

the_steve posted:

The problem is that the Dems really don't have any incentive to run anyone better.
With Roe being overturned, that is the drum they are going to beat relentlessly, that it is our responsibility to gleefully lap up whatever slop they put in front of us or else women's rights will be gone forever and don't you dare point out that they've had literal decades to codify those rights into law or else you're a right wing asset.

Issue with that is the proliferation of fugitive womb act-type laws will make poo poo start to kick off whether they like it or not

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kalit posted:

We are not talking past each other. While I'm unsure of the specific number, I strongly dispute that "nearly all"* are law abiding. IMO, this can be seen by the "self-defense" gun use numbers. My evidence: https://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/6/4/263.short

*Unsure where Bishayler got 80 million, this source says that ~72 million people in the US are gun owners.

bruh are you literally disputing the legal principle of "innocent until proven guilty"?

they have not been charged and convicted of a crime that has resulted in the confiscation of their firearms. By definition they are therefore not guilty of said crimes, this is a bedrock principle of America's system of laws

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kalit posted:

The second point in the link. If most of the millions of claims are illegal, then that's easily much more than thousands of times more than the ~500k reports you included in your link.

these claims are not illegal because they have not been proven in a court of law you cant just handwave that step

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

yronic heroism posted:

By that logic no one can even be arrested before they are found guilty at trial since nothing that happened was illegal before the trial.

But you are missing the bigger point that Kalit is posting in a dead comedy forum and not a court.

the point being argued was about the so-called "80 million gun-owning americans that have committed no crime" and kalit responded with the assertion that they actually were committing crimes

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Is there any consideration given to the possibility that the pandemic has basically killed off the reserve labor force?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

haveblue posted:

"If you buy season tickets now, we'll try to draft players who can defeat the monster next season" meanwhile the monster is setting demolition charges all over the arena

I feel like I've legit seen pitches like this to season ticket holders from Dan Snyder

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/jordanzakarin/status/1545876493263323136

Gotta say I did not expect the admin to so quickly return to trashing the left, especially when the subject at hand is abortion rights!

Like, even they must realize that the combo message of "Vote!" and "gently caress off with your demands" is mixed messaging, right?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
More likely he's pissed because Elon said he'd vote for desantis

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/NancyVu99/status/1547007379820216322?t=TEmlD2xsbZTAbtwWWOvZrQ&s=19

The Dems do not care about abortion rights. They willingly surrender any leverage they have on the issue because they do not care about women's right to choose.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
If Bernie was acting as timid and feckless as Biden is when it came to passing his agenda hell yes I would be calling him a dogshit president

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/USFWS/status/1547929557986029570

The United States Fish And Wildlife Service telling us to go touch grass they're right

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
i think the squad lost serious cred as being ideologically distinct from the mainstream democratic establishment when it comes to policy in the last 18 months, particularly in the last year. it has been shown time and again that they will fold to pressure from pelosi or biden, and honestly AOC has even toned down her rhetoric in a major way. Right now the most outspoken difference between the squad and the establishment is a matter of tactics, in that AOC believes you inspire voters with strident action while pelosi et al think you govern with circumspection.

there was actually an article about that last point in the last month or so.

anyway my overall point is that when push comes to shove the squad has shown itself to be perfectly willing to surrender to the mainstream dems

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Rigel posted:

We've literally never had a criminal prosecution of a former president before despite many opportunities to do so. The answer (and the reason why this time is different) is kind of obvious. There's not a big conspiracy, you are going to need the support of the people for such a monumental, historic, earth-shaking step. I'm not sure you appreciate just how much of a big deal this would, and hopefully will, be.

rigel what conditions would have to come about for you to consider your beliefs about the jan 6 committee to be proven untrue?

This is a sincere question, and not just shitstirring. For me, and I suspect many of the doubters, if Trump faces the threat of actual jailtime and prosecution he can't simply ignore, I will consider Jan 6 and the consequences thereof to be a meaningful event. What would it take for you to come to believe that Jan 6 hearings were ultimately political theater?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Gros Tarla posted:

What would you have her say instead? If a group is being disproportionally impacted, I'd think telling them would be a good thing?

Do not in any way, shape, or form, say that two children got the infection from MSM. Do not say it on live television, do not say it off the cuff. There is no world in which saying "MSM gave kids this infection" will do anything but inspire frothing hatred against queer people in general.

Leon, I am telling you this with sincerely good intentions: You are out of pocket on talking about this stuff. You are clearly not a queer person and your privilege is blinding you to extremely dangerous consequences that queer people are likely to face due to egregiously negligent messaging. Please take a step back and leave the conversation to those who will bear the brunt of those consequences.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 26, 2022

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Generally if the hypothetical you are describing sounds like the plot of an episode of The West Wing, it is likely that you are overrated its electoral significance

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

The plan of attack against inflation and price increases generally is, in the broader strokes, to "discipline" labor and return the country to the 8-10% real unemployment that is required to keep the current system running as designed. So far the various initiatives to encourage layoffs and increase precarity amongst the productive classes have been yielding results, and thus in their minds they are likely wanting to avoid a situation where they declare RECESSION! only to have to say NO RECESSION! 4 weeks later and look like idiots. There is no legal definition, it's just something they declare when they feel it's necessary as a part of any broader ideological program.

They're wrong about this of course, or at least they're not being honest in their public statements as we saw with inflation narratives and the insistent assertion that the root cause of all of this is a 1400 dollar check sent out almost 7 fiscal quarters ago, but it's still what they believe. As ever, the most prudent long term financial strategy is to find someone who has spent decades of their life being wrong about every single thing and being rewarded as a result and just plan for the opposite of whatever they are saying being true. Luckily our system provides no lack of these figures. Summers and Kristol are my go-to media feeds for this.

are they ever going to have to grapple with the fact that unemployment might be being suppressed by all the covid deaths and the increasingly large number of people disabled from long covid

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
there is a degree of, well, ditzyness or empty-headed-ness being ascribed to sinema's actions that is very likely influenced by sexist tropes in our culture.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Honestly I'd also bet that sinema thinks she can weather a primary challenger because the mainstream party will fully support her against them when the furor dies down. Like hell, they moved heaven and earth for loving cueller, I can't call her crazy for such an assumption!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Yeah, that's my point.

They're describing it in a way that will absolutely be inferred to mean it is a gay disease and the fact they did not literally say this means nothing. Pay of their role of messaging, and if their messaging leads to the incredibly obvious result of further stigmatization of queer people then they have absolutely failed in their role.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

PT6A posted:

No, she said they have been traced back to the MSM community, which is either factually correct or it isn't. There are children with gay parents, children with gay siblings, and other situations where children might have sufficient contact with men who have sex with men, in a completely non-sexual way, that they could get the disease and it could be traced back to the MSM community.

It's not a moral judgement unless you choose to make it one, and the people who are choosing to make it a moral judgement would do so regardless of how it was phrased, regardless of what evidence or lack thereof was presented.

If her statement will likely lead to queerbashing then she should not loving say it. I don't give one solitary gently caress about the sort of justification she thought she had because this sort of dialogue leads to dead queer people

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 31, 2022

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

PT6A posted:

My argument is that no matter what she says, if she communicates the current spread pattern of the disease, it will be used to justify hatred and queerbashing. If the information is made publicly available I don’t think there’s any avoiding that, sadly. So you’re in fact saying that the CDC should refuse to disclose this information — essentially treating it as classified material.

I think, on the balance, that’s not the worst idea, but can you imagine the conspiracy theories that would create?

i think you should stop treating this like an academic debate and consider marginalized people are at risk of being attacked over this poo poo

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Blaming the problem on anybody other than the fascists driving it, is pro fascist. But you know that.

i dont consider our government fascist-less nor blameless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yeah but then you can’t radicalize folks or make them feel hopeless and inclined to withdraw from politics.

gently caress off, walensky is the one helping paint a target on our back and I'm going to loving call her out for that. It's real illuminating to see everyone bend over backwards to absolve her of any blame.

Do you have something to loving say to me?