Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2022-06-23/supreme-court-shields-police-from-being-sued-for-ignoring-miranda-warnings

Just roll the dice now on if why you're being pulled over warrants talking to the police.

I'd leave this country if it wasn't so hard to get citizenship elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

A few women on my social media circle posted about the overturning of Roe V Wade. But generally speaking it's been relatively quiet. I don't think most people really care about politics these days, or decisions from politics. It's sad, but I feel true. Those that are concerned and speaking up seem blindsided as if they haven't been paying attention the last 5 years. Some of the women were Trump supporters and appear to lack any ability to draw a connection between the two. I wonder if there is anything that will wake people up in this country and say woah what the gently caress. We as a nation are going in the wrong direction. Snowden's revelations of govt/corp spying barely moved the needle. Trump engaged and motivated a minority of the population, and 1/3 it barely mattered to. Roe v Wade doesn't really seem to be as big of a deal to most Americans as I envisioned.

I'm sure they'll be surprised when a fetus personhood bill is put before the SC in a year or two and all abortion becomes illegal. Most people generally don't understand a solid 30% of the country absolutely wants to dominate the other 70% in any way they can at best. And a subset of that would be fine killing any people that oppose their installation of fascism.

It feels very hopeless tbh. It's damned near impossible to leave this country for any other country that's worth a damned. I don't have $500k to move to Europe to buy property there. So I guess I'm hosed.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

You could say it's almost as if Alex Jones lawyers are crisis actors. :thunk:

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Jury awarded 4 million.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

cr0y posted:

Lol barely a dent.

Some would say a cost of doing business

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What place isn't expensive at this point. I live just outside of Nashville and 700 square foot 1bed 1bath are going for $1900/month.

I fuckin get it why people are moving to Mexico city. This country is straight up unaffordable unless you want to live in the middle of nowhere. I'm sorry, but Tennessee is a poo poo hole and I only moved here for work, but I'd never consider buying a house here, and will look to move again in a year or two, but seriously where do you go at this point? Traditionally people moved to the south because it was cheaper than the Northern states, but $1900/m is lo-loving-l. Slap on top of that student loans, car payment, etc. I make decent money, but I'm never going to be able to consider starting a family or any major life decision at this rate.

I seriously have no idea how people that make 40-50k are making it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

Sorry misunderstood differences.

1LDK in Tokyo is about 1100-2000 depending on ward.

1BR in LA starts at like 1500 and goes up to "a lot", though I imagine the top end in Tokyo is similar.

1LDK could be about 40m/sq which is about 450ft/sq

I saw a couple of articles saying you can still do a 2br for under $1000 Tokyo, if small.

How the hell is a 1BR in Crashville more expensive than LA?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

As an Irish person, 80% of the country isn't Catholic in any meaningful sense. There are historical reasons for people ticking that box on the census, but essentially noone <70yo gives a poo poo about religion

I fuckin wish. Here in TN it's Catholic/ Christian everything. On anything dating "Jesus is #1". I want my work experience and to get the gently caress out because I'll die single if I stay here longer than I need to.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I went to a state university, didn't know poo poo about money. Had every angle of society tell me I had to have a college degree, and now I'm super hosed with college debt until a parent passes away and I can sell a house. I had zero guidance from either parent on what the actual costs of college were, how to pay for it, etc. Other than just go to college. Literally any chance of building a future right now is on hold because of it. I make decent money right now, but still can't think of buying a house, or starting a family. I'm focusing on building career skills because in the short term is the only real option. Another 15-20k/yr would help quite a bit. It's my own doing, I get it, but at 18-22 I literally had no concept of what I was doing to future me.

A 10k option from Biden is laughable in my situation, but I know it would be big for other people.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Zero.

Zero different.

The dude semi walked it back with some weird explanation that seemed to touch on secession and that if Florida made its own state law or something that the FBI would have no jurisdiction and because "freedom" means "shooting things" mostly that Florida residents would within their rights to mow down feds if they set foot on someone's property.

Real great loving country we got here. I need to get the gently caress out of this hell hole state but move to...where?

If you have like 400,000k Portugal will take you in.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Question, when Moore vs Harper is decided in the next 4-8 months, if it turns out that state judiciary can decide elections(I believe this is what is being angled for) what's the option after that? Obviously the SC would have ruled, but I mean for the average citizen, the political institutions, democracy. It seems like if the SC goes one way on this that the experiment is sort of over?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

DoJ filing here: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flsd.618763/gov.uscourts.flsd.618763.48.0_1.pdf

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Special master granted.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1566820031492677634?s=20&t=6rYZsV3o2rb7jrZLK3m2pg

Zotix fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 5, 2022

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The UK showing the US how to do a peaceful transition of power twice in a week.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1570552116837584897?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Thom12255 posted:

The Fed can't really help this as rate increases reduce new house builds which leads to more people being pushed to rent which keeps rentals increasing in price - it's a really bad cycle that needs a bunch of government intervention to control, the Fed really can't solve this itself.

I got a survey today from my apartment complex as I'll be coming up on my lease ending soon. My rent started at $1700, is now $2050, and I'd imagine would be $2250ish next lease. poo poo fuckin rocks.