Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Star Man posted:

What good does freezing the gas tax do? It's coroorate greed, not regulation jacking uo the price, right?

it would look good and it might knock a dollar off or so, gas will probably slowly fall and if biden at least does vague poo poo to try to alivate the pain at the pump, it might help him and the situation a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Trump would never agree to be VICE anything. His whole deal is being the center of attention and The Most Important Guy

this. i suspect trump will try to start his run "soonish"(either july or right before/after midterm) i think trump beats desantis because he is the OG chud and not some weird ghoul who barely won his last race. i think desantis also runs into alot of issues trump does in the general too but he doesnt have trumps hosed up "charisma" and desantis is just famous for (outside chud circles) as some giant bigoted rear end in a top hat who hosed up covid and went after kids and teachers and disney over turning red and more importantly, he acts like a giant dickhead.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 22, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

Youngkin in Virginia all over again.

No one cared that Trump was a maniac, they cared that he acted like a maniac. Just like his own base loves him because he yells a lot and looks like he's owning the libs, but they wouldn't be able to name three of his policies and legislative accomplishments. It's all surface level presentation. Those voters didn't dislike Trump's policies because voters don't even know that the President doesn't control gas prices with giant levers in his desk.

younkin won because he played the moderate and didnt bang the openly socialy conservative dickhead drum as loud and hid it behind buzzwords and the fact that tmac hosed up and younkin kept trump away for the most part.

GOP wins the general in a heartbeat if they get a dude who can pretend to be actually moderate. the problem is those folks don't win the primary outside rigging the game(like youngkin did).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

PeterCat posted:

That lines up with my recollections. Iowa went from being a state that had back to back Democratic governors to Branstad and then Reynolds, from having a senator from each party to having only Republicans, and being won by Carter, Clinton, and Obama, then being lost by Biden and the shift really seemed to happen during Obama's term.

Now Chuck Grassley's opponent is a former admiral who hasn't lived in the state during his entire adult life and will most likely lose this fall.

Reminds me of how PA is. One side or the other will run some outside military person or doctor or corpo gently caress. This time it’s oz.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Federal staff in DC are getting messages from places like the Senate Sergeant at Arms to prepare for poo poo Happening tomorrow, so I expect the abortion ruling is coming.

i thought that was thursday was last of this week?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

The scotus calendar also has opinion releases tomorrow, it appears, per scotusblog.

yeah, i wouldnt be shocked if they pull the trigger tomarrow or next week, whichever gives them some "cover time".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Velocity Raptor posted:

Here's the official statement, for those interested.

https://www.speaker.gov/newsroom/62422-1

Bolding mine. Have the Dems done anything to protect women's rights? All I can recall them doing is passing an infrastructure bill after arguing amongst themselves (Manchin). These statements have had me rolling my eyes since I honestly don't believe those in power legitimately don't actually want to do anything to help us. There always seem to be so many avenues available to the GOP and a GOP president to strip rights and make life worse for all but a select few, but Dems are stonewalled to do anything to reverse this, or even provide basic aid to all but the elites, and the MIC.

And of course, as was pointed out, you can't let an opportunity to campaign go to waste.

on a state level, very much yes. federal, they have tried but not as much as they could because big tent bullshit and just GOP fuckery.

https://twitter.com/lxeagle17/status/1540359959325470720

this seems a little hopeful for the senate somewhat. it will hurt mastriano at least.

Velocity Raptor posted:

At this point, the best move the GOP can make is to step into the shadows for a bit. Not to hide from what they accomplished, but not to draw attention to themselves. When the SC decision was leaked, anyone who was concerned or affected by the decision would have been paying attention to the Dems, who have continually positioned themselves as the defenders of people's right and the bulwark against the evil GOP. Except they didn't do anything to protect against this, or even attempt to do anything. And as was pointed out earlier in the thread, they recently supported an anti-abortion candidate.

The people who were watching have only seen that the Dems were lying to them, or at least didn't care. So the best thing the GOP can do is stay quiet, lest they risk people turning their anger from the ineffective self-proclaimed protectors to those actually making the bad things happen.

they won't move into the shadows at all though, they will yell and scream and brag and a bunch will make points about wanting to kill marrage equality or griswold or etc. they will double down because they caught the car.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kanos posted:

I can actually 100% believe that Collins and also a ton of Democrats were truthfully blindsided by this happening, because I truly believe that a lot of them were morons who utterly convinced that it was all brinksmanship and surely no one would ever actually cross that line!

I feel nothing but contempt for them, mind you, and they're absolutely not going to do anything substantive about it, but I can believe them getting caught off guard.

i actually do too. shits not real until its REAL and alot of people are just waking up to "oh gently caress roe is dead" because most folks are weird political nerds/etc like we all are.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Biden's inner circle and Harris' inner circle reportedly get along very badly, too. We won't know the juicy details till the tell-all books start popping up in a few years, but plenty of staffers have been leaking gossip to the political press.

As the story goes, Harris' camp feel that Biden isn't giving her chances to politically shine, while the Biden camp is wary of her ambitions and feels that she's flubbed the chances she's been given. As a result, the relationship between their groups is unusually tense.

It's all anonymous sources, of course, so it could very well be false. But it's been a consistent narrative basically since Biden won the primary.

I am not shocked by that at all. harris is a moron who fell upward and got picked because Biden wasn't sure if Duckworth was legally able to get the VP slot. harris is a worse clinton and i think she loses the primary(the big party dipshits all dislike her too apperently) so it will be Pete or hopefully fetterman or etc in 28 or earlier or whatever.

haveblue posted:

If it’s 150 Dem judges and then 80 GOP judges it might be a good deal. Anything else runs a severe risk of getting hosed

yeah was the judges deal apparently, she wants to retire upward and you can basicaly chose your successor then. biden refuses and she stays on and nothing changes or she gets replaces by some other red dipshit in a red area except maybe possible blue AGs. this poo poo happened under trump all the time, its just noticed now because of chuds killing roe.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Agree again about the Democrats' problem with messaging and that the GOP is much better at it. The RWM/GOP approach is the same as any other ubiquitous company or product like Coke, McDonalds, Budweiser, etc. who spend millions of dollars to remind people that they exist on every Super Bowl. Why?

It's just repetition and it's that simple. This poo poo crawls into your head whether you realize it or not, even for people who go out of their way to avoid ads. The GOP is consistently able to frame issues this way - sometimes subtly and sometimes aggressively - but the point is that they succeed this way through things like word association and simple framing. They also keep it loving simple most of the time.

The things that the democrats (ostensibly) stand for are almost all quite popular as well as being on the correct side of most issues and shouldn't require a downloadable 3 page pdf to explain. This is politics and marketing. Advertising 101. It has to fit on a bumper sticker, be catchy, repeated constantly and have a chance to soak into the conversation, which will eventually effect framing and the overall narrative. I think a lot of it has to do with the relationship between salespeople and political affiliation. I don't think I've ever met a sales rep who was a democrat; or at least a successful one. Republicans seem to have their eye on the prize, have no shame, are generally unified and disciplined in their message and seem to understand that they are SELLING SOMETHING.

This is just one of the problems with the DNC but it's a big one and I wish they'd work on it. Especially when they're right. It should even be an easier sell when it's popular, true and supported by facts but my god do they ever suck at this.

agreed but i think part of the issue is the Dems/progressives has a different audiance then the GOP and the GOP has had almost 50 years of frying their bases brains on an industrial scale to the point that it is starting to hurt them because actual true believer psychos win the primaries and have way harder times in generals. dems and progressives are like hearding cats or that religion joke about sects and hearecy. most people agree on end goals but not on how to get to them or what the end goals entail. so its alot harder to make a coherent message. my view is i am just tired of the leader shipliving in the late 70s both in age and time period.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

selec posted:

Here’s a thread on the deal:

https://twitter.com/mjs_dc/status/1542936979716857856?s=21&t=ooU347hRK6EfxM_Oo_nVAg

Lifetime appointment judge for 2 attorneys that will be back in private practice potentially by 24

Then Biden shoots it down and nothing changes. Either ends the same way basically because the current judge is relatively young for a judge and isn’t dying any time soon and probably won’t be replaced by Biden or whoever comes after by their choice.

-Blackadder- posted:

Pritzker's coming out strong.

Really like Fetterman too, so I'm hoping his recovery is going well. It's a foolish man who ignores his own health, it's what enables him to take care of his responsibilities.

Pete, don't really know much about other than being a competent speaker, from what I hear, ain't really much to the man beyond that, but maybe we'll see.

Pete is ok. Prefer others though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I am sure that kinda of insane poo poo will help them win over moderates for sure. loving nutjob.
also most of the "good" candidates for governor in Michigan got caught up in big scandals and were forced to drop out. so its the nutjobs left.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 1, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Who the Hell is thinking they'll stop at abortion? If they can blatantly go against popular policy with no repercussions why wouldn't they just keep doing whatever the gently caress they feel like doing?

no one outside the dumbest of dumbs but going after incredibly popular poo poo and basicaly flipping the settled status quo that fucks over half the population at least, doesnt help them with folks outside their base and weird religious nuts.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sephyr posted:

Andrew Sullivan was resolute that the GOP barely even wanted to overturn Roe, and only did it because the woke mob dared them. He was foaming at trans folk just weeks ago and now blinked and went "Huh, seems my conservative friends still hate gays, who knew? How could this happen?"

so a moron then. so far its only morons and people who arnt grognards about politics. also decorem dems who say it for different reasons for audiences and probably to themselves.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Maybe. And i get some of what you're saying but still think you can boil things down to their essence and fit it on a banner or a t-shirt. At least for the most part. But I see what you mean where, with Republicans, you just have to stick a flag on it, hand someone a bible and talk about how everyone should shoot a gun and you've got 80% of the party right there. Throw in tax cuts and you're up to 90 or 95. USA USA USA is pretty basic and they've commandeered the idea and what it means to be a patriot. Or a christian for that matter.

Thing is though, left leaning policies are broadly popular and supported - even among Republicans when they are worded the right way. Even something as innocuous as "politically correct" is essentially just encouraging people to, hey, try not to be a dick to people every now and then but the GOP has framed it as censorship and an assault on free speech just because comedians should maybe try not to call people f**s or ch***s or something peppered with a lot of "how come black people are allowed to say the n word" bullshit.

I overhear it constantly from people bitching about how comedians aren't allowed to be funny anymore and "you can't say anything!" and I don't offend easily but I'm not gonna go to bat for some of Eddie Murphy or Sam Kinison's poo poo from the 80's anymore, even though I find both of those dudes funny.

Sorry. That post was kinda all over the place

nah your fine and i get it. i think the issue is "broadly popular if worded right" because a ton of people have different ideas of how it would be done or what they want the end goal to be like with UHC and such, where as the GOP just want to tear poo poo up and its easier to make a message of destorying something then creating something. gently caress idk.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Or, hear me out, Biden could simply just not do a deal that involves getting peanuts in return for he himself personally legitimizing a Federalist Society psycho right after that org just successfully overturned Roe

Also can you explain by what definition Pete is "ok"

Sure and hopefully he does that. Also Pete is fine compared to Harris and such, I prefer fetterman or Castro or Pritzker or whoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

I just want Bernie Sanders to run, personally

Him or fetterman or someone like that would be nice.