Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To lighten the mood, I was reading one of the bad threads and I ran across this extremely darkly funny excerpt from Yesterday's Man:

Joe Biden had never once passed up a chance to have his wallet inspected, has he

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The fight always causes reaction. I am also worried about that. I don’t particularly care about the media or right wing nut jobs asking the question, gently caress them. I am interested in swimmers, particularly ones I know.

If you don't care about "the media or right wing nut jobs asking the question" then why are you asking the exact same questions they do?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Because this is what I hear from women who are swimmers I know.

What, are they repeatedly losing to trans women?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

VideoGameVet posted:

If the USA turns into some sort of Gilead, the 2016 will be looked at the most consequential election in the last 100 years.

This seems like nonsense to me. The democrats had 50 years and various supermajorities to codify RvW and they didn't do it. Do you think they would have done so if they won in 2016? Because otherwise we're just having this exact same conversation in three years, or five, or however long it takes this exact scenario to play out, probably with the exact same people in place, the only difference being the year and the degrees of senility on display
RvW being overturned seems like an inevitability simply because the people who want it to happen have a plan and a will to power and the people who are supposed to prevent it and bumbling around asking for spare change and reciting poems

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

We're not talking about the midterms though, Fritz. The RvW repeal is happening right now, is it not a current event?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

B B posted:

You've got a mod attacking posters directly, so it'd be cool if y'all take care of that before asking us to move discussion.

Actually he was posting as a poster, not a mod, and as such cannot be held accountable. Just like every other time he's done that

e: Hopefully this is counted as posting about moderation instead of posting about posters so I don't get probed. Gray area!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

VideoGameVet posted:

I agree. But 2016 set the SCOTUS on its course.

Okay? The repeal of RvW has been in the works from the moment it passed. This was just the moment when all the factors finally aligned. My point, which you didn't really engage with at all, is saying "if only things had gone different in 2016, RvW would be safe!" is meaningless when all that would have happened is it would have taken slightly longer to arrive at this same place. The problem isn't that they got the supreme court right now while the filibuster is in place and there aren't the votes in the Senate and we can't pressure manchin and and and, the problem is that there was no plan for this eventuality beyond "hope it never happens" and now it has and nobody seems to have a clue what to do beyond somehow voting harder. It's political malpractice and being told to vote for the same people who've dropped the ball this hard as though they can fix it is dispiriting beyond words.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
e: forgot which forum I was posting in

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PhazonLink posted:

Dems suck big time, but what the gently caress do we do about non Fox/regressive media machines that just air loving horseshit like this. butter emails, then silence for the 4 years where Donnie kids are all using Trump company email address.

Hell RIGHT now, NYC mayor Rudy got slapped on the back at shopright and apparent thats him getting nuked and vaporized.

The emails thing is fox straight up doing politics. They saw a way to make the enemy look bad and used it to the max, why on earth would they do the same to their own side? That would be ridiculous.
I think it's important to remember that absolutely nobody cares about hypocrisy. It's not an issue that actually moves people, and if you find yourself getting mad about it you need to take a breath and try to channel that energy elsewhere because it's an absolute deadend that will accomplish nothing besides making you look like a whiner. The sooner we can shift left-of-center discourse away from the daily show mold of pointing out conservatives lying and towards something actually useful the better off we'll be

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Flying-PCP posted:

The SCOTUS decision was only 'called shot' if you believe a conservative staffer leaked the draft. I know that's not the main point of the post, but also this isn't twitter and I think it's good for us to all strive for factual accuracy here.

What? I don't understand the distinction you're trying to make here

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Flying-PCP posted:

They didn't "straight up say" they were about to overturn Roe v Wade, someone on the inside provided that information. I honestly don't care if you think that's important or not, people (particularly in a space like this where there's ostensibly more attempt at actual communication beyond just signal boosting our own opinions) need to say what happened, not what makes their posts flow better.

Okay I know we all use that joke about technically correct being the best kind of correct but this is just absurd

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Maybe this decade, maybe next. The longer it can be delayed, the more opportunity of a changing factor can occur (however small of a chance) and the longer the marginalized class can prepare for the inevitable. Better tomorrow than today.

How, exactly? I mean if you've got any ideas I'd love to hear them

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Cool statistics for a good country and not one where the state works with militias to murder you and praise the murderers like with Rittenhouse.

An unarmed population is 1000% easier to control than an armed one.

I mean... at what point are you, personally, going to start shooting cops? What's your line in the sand? Not a gotcha, just interested how exactly you figure this population control is going to work

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't the whole "leave the country" thing just unbelievably privileged nonsense and completely out of the possible reach of the people who are actually going to be effected by this? Remember when Bush won and all the rich white libs were about to move to Canada, and we all dismissed them as idiots, and did any of them actually do it? What's different this time around?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Automata 10 Pack posted:

once again, cool statistics for a good country and not one where the police will arrest your parents because you’re a boy that wore a dress

take these statistics and make your disarmament plea to the black panthers, or hell, any black community under police occupation(now and in the past),

How did that work out for them exactly? What happened to Huey, and Malcolm, and Stokely, and Assata, and Mumia, and how many of the rest of the new black Panthers...?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Automata 10 Pack posted:

You’re literally just gloating about black death now. I mean gently caress, stokley died of prostate cancer. Yes, please arm yourselves so you can too die of butt cancer than by the state.

where did he die of prostate cancer? In what country? What series of events lead to him being there?

"gloating about black death", go gently caress yourself. I'm not the one advocating that minorities go out and get the feds to do an Operation MOVE on them to make myself feel tough

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Oh really? What happened to the literal face of non-violent resistance Martin Luther King?

I was responding to someone claiming minorities arming themselves to resist the government is going to work and using as an example a group of people who did that and were variously murdered, imprisoned and COINTELPRO'd out of the country. Not to mention that calling MLK "the literal face of non-violent resistance" is buying wholesale into right-wing whitewashing

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gumball Gumption posted:

I don't totally agree with Automata but what is your point here? A lot of different things happened to those people and similar things happened to people who were not advocating guns and violence. King was assassinated by the government too.

The claim was that "Cops become way more weary to enact their authority if the community is organized and armed. Look at the black communities police occupied during the war on drugs." and then you look at said communities and they got murdered and imprisoned at higher rates than the general population who WEREN'T armed and organized. It seems wild to claim cops are "weary to enact their authority" when the people you're holding up as an example got crushed into dust by the feds?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Yes and as shown by MLK, armed or peaceful is irrelevant to what caused those men to be murdered, imprisoned, etc. They were killed for their politics, not how they expressed them.

And yes, the celebrated, endlessly referenced, face of non-violent resistance in the USA is MLK. He is evoked endlessly when anyone wants to criticize protestors for breaking property, or offending anyone. It may not be fair to the man, or the many others, who performed the work of the Civil Rights era or non violent resistance in a wider context but it would not be a mischaracterization to say that in this country, MLK Is the face of non-violent resistance.

Right, but you just listed a bunch of reasons why it sucks and it's incorrect to call him that, so why do so? "Other people are cynically misusing this guy, so I guess that's the framing we all have to use" is not a compelling argument, to me

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gumball Gumption posted:

You've done nothing to connect that with guns. Those things happened to people who were not armed or preached arming minorities too.

Yeah, exactly. It makes no difference if you're armed or not. I was arguing with the person claiming otherwise?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Automata 10 Pack posted:

yes, they had to get crushed by the federal government instead of the cops. Which is a better outcome than getting crushed by the cops.

what? how??

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Fox News is running very detailed how to get plan B and emergency contraception articles.

Makes sense, their stated goal is to reduce the number of abortions happening

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

-Blackadder- posted:

It's interesting, we have all that media space and we still can't get our messaging straight. We literally own Hollywood and the two biggest former-actor-turned-politicians ended up being two of the most monstrous Republican Presidents in history.

What do you mean "we", kemosabe?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

-Blackadder- posted:

Hilary is purestrain East Coast Liberal White lady and has said some unbelievably racist poo poo in the past, but ironically, I thought she would've been decent in the chair.

She had some of the most exec experience of any one coming into the job, I think. She stomped all over Trump in debates like an academic decathlete. She seemed to have put an extensive amount of work into prepping for the position by study and making sure she knew her stuff, maybe even more than Obama's nerdy rear end. (It's been awhile so I could be misremembering).

The only real issue was likability/campaigning. Obviously those are important because candidates need to get elected to do the job. But it was frustrating as hell watching what was basically the honor student; someone who was practically over-prepared, stand next to the kid whose three sentences of notes are wrapped in chewing gum in his back pocket so he basically just made poo poo up. Like yeah, these candidates need to get elected but, Trump had to have his own stupid name fed to him in briefing reports to keep his attention. It couldn't have been more cartoonish if you recruited a pet rock to fly the space shuttle. It would be nice if we could at least acknowledge that this is a job important enough to be done by a semi-competent, informed person, who values knowledge. I feel like things have gotten so bad that we haven't even bothered to shoot for that standard in a while.

As for Harris, no black people I know, that know who she is, like her.

I'm honestly hard pressed to think of a more "damning with faint praise" endorsement than "she always did all the homework." That is just absolutely brutal

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

-Blackadder- posted:

I think she was significantly more experienced and knowledgeable about the intricacies of the job than Trump was.

I mean... you know who else was "knowledgeable about the intricacies of the job" and always did the prep, and stomped all over his opponent in the debate, and "valued knowledge" and made sure he knew his stuff? Obama. And what did he do? Turned Libya into an open air slave market (at Hilary's urging!), murdered thousands of people including american citizens and countless children with drones, threw kids in cages at the border, criminalized whistleblowers, bailed out the banks at the expense of everyone in America, left Flint to rot, the list goes on and on. He was a bloodthirsty monster, just like Clinton, and if your metric for a potential leader is how much they remind you of Tracy Flick you're going to get led around by the nose every time

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

Free Discendo Vox

Free? You couldn't pay me to take it!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cimber posted:

They got what they wanted, but did they _really_ want it? I don't think they actually wanted the SC to ban abortion, I think they wanted to be able to run on banning abortion. I suspect that a good number of republican strategists are quietly swearing under their breaths after this week.

Are you basing this on anything beyond vague hope? Because it seems more like they're just going to move onto the next target- there's already talk among the GOP about repealing Obergefell, for example?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rigel posted:

This is common knowledge.

You realise saying this only means anything to people who already believe the same things you do? It's not actually an argument, it's just an assertion that since it feels correct to you, it must be.
You didn't quote any of these fiscal conservatives, or show them throwing money and weight behind candidates who don't want Roe overturned, or really doing anything to show they think it's bad? The only statements we've heard saying RvW could hurt republicans FROM REPUBLICANS are from losing candidates and unemployed consultants. There's nothing to suggest that the people who gleefully embraced the fundies are disappointed to achieve something that will keep them energized and voting and out there putting in the work for the party? Why on earth would they think that's bad? They're securing a massive, reliable voting bloc who don't give a poo poo about their fiscal agenda, giving them free reign to do whatever warms their squalid little hearts.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's always been a bit of cope and these days most of the people who originally kicked off these movements are gone and the people they left behind are true believers. Maybe there was a time that the Republicans didn't really want to ban abortion but now the people at the top also believed those lies and really do want to ban abortion.

Additionally, regardless of what they believe in their hearts of hearts, a quick look across the aisle would show them that banning abortion is a win-win. They get to energize their base of hogs and psychos while nominally out of power, while it's a safe bet their opposition will immediately trip over themselves to alienate everyone who might be inspired to turn out against them.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cimber posted:

If Trump announces earlier rather than later he is running for another term, is that going to impact at all any calculus on indictments at either a state or federal level?

I guess the more pertinent question would be do you honestly believe Trump is going to be federally indicted for anything?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crain posted:

In my mind, the "effort" would be: Remove them from society or render them into an otherwise impotent position to protect the vulnerable.

How do you suggest we do this?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crain posted:

Literally posting "VOTE!" while the country is dismantled by the minority party under a government fully controlled by their opposition.

We've tried that kid. It has not worked. It was rigged to not work before and it has gotten and is getting more and more rigged by the day.

Should we make a tertiary party to challenge the neo-lib lockdown of the Dems? How has that worked out for the potpourri pot of other challenger parties we have?

The very few actual challenger Dems that have been tacitly allowed in, and the extent the Dems have already gone to in order to kill any actual progressive challenges should be proof enough to show you how loving useless "VOTE!" is as a suggestion.

I mean I'm not a huge fan of that plan either but at least he's managed to articulate something other than dumbassed internet tough guy posturing?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crain posted:

No he's not. It's the same useless, decorum poisoned, neo-lib bullshit that got us into this mess.

And I'm not "tough guy posturing". This is resignment to a reality where there is currently no good National level plan of action. Mutual local aide and preparing to resort to extra-governmwntal strategies for protecting our own is what's on the table.

Right, but you can't articulate even a basic overview of what this might involve, in case you get in trouble on an internet forum. Not looking for names and addresses, dude. Just like an overview of how you think things will go. What do you think people should be doing? Protesting? Devoting time to grassroots orgs? Moving to their cities? Stockpiling guns and retreating into armed enclaves? Just anything other than vague, aggressive doomsaying please

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 3, 2022

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

StratGoatCom posted:

With all due respect, it is better for all concerned parties to not openly discuss that in detail on the forum, for reasons of opsec and legal exposure.

I'm not asking for a twelve step plan to kill the president, for fucks sake. Just some idea of what this guy thinks is coming and what the solutions should be, in general. Something other than just "You're all wrong, your plan is doomed to failure, you stupid children, what we should be doing that will work is whoops opsec can't tell you!!" If your plan is so radical and out there that posting about it will get the secret service at your door maybe just shut up completely?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crain posted:

It's in the part you cut off: Balkanization at best, Years of Lead and The Troubles at worst.

Local mutual aide societies are going to be the standard of support as the police either stop pretending to not be fully on the side of fascists or just fully dissolve. Think the OG Black Panthers. Not just posting up with guns around town, but providing local food aide, trying to maintain services and running supplies. That's what I mean by "extra-governmental". The most dangerous thing the Black Panthers did in the eyes of the FBI was a free breakfast program.

In states that are purple it will be just like the troubles unless the state/ local government is willing to lock down dissent one way or another. In those areas one last vote for an actual leftist willing to actually fight (and not in a rhetorical way) will be vital. Otherwise it's going to be targeted with terrorism. Hands down. Nationally I don't see anything improving. Any state that doesn't vote as wanted will be invalidated, and there will be a split between state level parties and national level Dems. There's going to be a lot of quislings.

The Troubles was an insurgent struggle against an occupying foreign power and their local auxiliaries though, backed by foreign money and weapons in huge amounts. Who do you see filling the British role in the troubles? The US government? and conversely who will fill the American one? Do you think Canada or Mexico will be funneling money and guns to the American Lib Resistance? Just trying to puzzle out your vision of the future, honestly. When you "balkanization" do you see the states breaking apart and forming new, independent countries?

Crain posted:

What's your idea dipshit? Or do you just want to scream into the void at people who aren't sticking to the high school tier decorum club's standard script?

I'm not the one bursting in here screaming at people that they're stupid and I'm the one with all the answers, am I.

e: oh he got probed. nvm

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 3, 2022

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nameless Pete posted:

Marijuana > Alcoholics Anonymous

In my own personal experience, at least. Smoke weed everyday, haven't had a drink in three years. I would be dead right now without legalization.

Every day? It sounds like you've just replaced one addiction with another? AA is bad for a lot of reasons but there are other ways to get help and suggesting to people they just try to change dependencies seems like really hosed up advice to be giving in general

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Herstory Begins Now posted:

smoking an 8th a day will just make you smell bad and probably pretty unmotivated but it won't kill you. drinking a fifth a day will legit kill you. It's not ideal, but at least you're still alive to get help.

imo people should get help for whatever makes 24/7 self-medication feel necessary, because that's a bleak as hell place to be and no one should feel stuck there

Yeah that second part is the relevant one- switching from alcohol to weed isn't curing the problem, you're just putting a different colour band-aid on the wound. If that's what you want to do then okay, I'm not your mom or your therapist, but offering it up as a helpful suggestion like people were doing here is Not A Good Thing To Do

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rigel posted:

It isn't always that people try to numb their mind to get away from bad poo poo, alcoholics just REALLY like being drunk all the time.

Oh my god are you for real

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
e: you know what, this sucks to talk about and I'm not really interested in discussing it any more here

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Oh they should be. But the fascists are worse. Conservative:Fascist as The Brooks Brothers riot:January 6

One is a attempt at a goddamned armed revolution.

An armed revolution? None of the people at 1/6 had guns?