Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Koos Group posted:

While that is an entertaining anecdote, please stick to current events.

With respect, that post seems to be highly relevant context to current events. At least I found it to be and appreciated the detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Oh yeah it’s a loving problem with a horrifying history. I think back, would I have fought for this person to swim if they had been on my team, yes. But is the decision being made by governing body the one that is fair to the competitors as a group, yes.

There would be no competitive women swimmers with no male / female division. You can search NCAA times.

https://www.usaswimming.org/api/Rep...leDownload=true

What you’ll notice is that for all events the number 1 woman doesn’t make the top 100 men. The gender disparity is particularly large in swimming. Though it does narrow on longer events, like the 1000 or 1650 (but it does not disappear).

Edit: having done some competitive fighting too... the gender gap is larger in swimming

Why do you assume there would only be one group within which all would compete? It's possible to sub-segment a population without relying on something as arbitrary and ill defined as gender.

There's nothing fair about bigotry. All that decision did is dishonor the sport.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Unfortunately that’s not going to work with swimming at the elite level because it isn’t an arbitrary division. Again you can look at the top times reports which show the top 100 men and women in each event.

https://www.usaswimming.org/times/otherorganizations/ncaa-division-i/top-times-report

What other criteria are you going to use that doesn’t exclude women? No woman of any body type, weight, or hormone level in any event makes the top 100 men. Lia Thomson doesn’t either. This is probably unique to swimming as a sport.

Also to be clear here I think there should no restrictions at all for anything that isn’t like d1 or higher.

I would define the groups based on fastest completion of a qualification event, where your record determines which group you should compete with... kinda like how boxing does with weight... and then you can compete in your speed class or faster. If the best swimmers happen to be men, let them compete in that best swimmer's category.

Nobody's excluded, anyone can compete at their level or higher. Anyone who feels they can compete against anyone else is allowed to.

The problem seems to really be that most people only value the heavyweight champion... well... go fix capitalism, don't make trans persons second class citizens because capitalism is corrupting and people are idiots.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

McCaughey is way more likely to win than Beto and way more likely to implement good things than any Republican in Texas so it seems like a no-brainer to support him running for Governor there

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's not running

Both of these claims are true

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Tnega posted:

Unworkable for team events like cycling, but that is actually a pretty good idea for the solo stuff.

The National Labor Relations Board is asking a court to reinstate seven Starbucks workers who were allegedly fired illegally because they were involved in union organizing. For those who want a Starbucks union drive update.

Qualify each member of the team. The team as a whole can compete in the lowest category available to it's highest ranking member.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Why do we need a hard scientific set of criteria for skill level? Let people compete at the bracket they've proven they can compete at in previous lower skill tiers.

To set a lower bound below which they can't compete.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Does the recent SCOTUS ruling against New York's concealed carry law mean gun control of any kind (like the bill in the senate) is now dead in the water?

The fact that this is happening in America handles that without any implication from this particular ruling.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

My concern is that a lot of the blue states are also plentiful with reds, and many of the blues in those states aren't particularly useful anyway.

Like what blue state do you move to, that has the highest likelihood of preserving those rights?

Sweden?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Calibanibal posted:

Truly horrible news. Hopefully this is the kick in the butt voters and the Democrat Party need for the upcoming midterms. We need to get our poo poo together.

We do, but it's not going to lead to everyone abandoning the US and state constitutions and calling a new continental congress, so instead we're going full Gilead.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Mendrian posted:

I think the sad truth is Americans - maybe all people, I can't say - are very adaptable, psychologically speaking. And I think people have gotten extremely used to one shocking regression after another. In the wake of an event like this there is a brief window where many people will be unmoored and looking for leadership, where they will be open to change and willing to join a cause. Who steps into that void in the next several weeks will basically decide what sort of hope we have. Because if we're supposed to just swallow this and live with existential dread until November with nothing but photoshopped revolutionary quotes posted on Twitter from Dems to show for it I think there's little to no hope.

Edit: Basically the "do something" mentality is short hand for "please do something before this becomes normal." Because if the President isn't making headlines weekly about his next attempt to stop anti-choice freaks, it's going to become normal. It doesn't matter what he's allowed to do, he's supposed to fight. A warrior is not stymied by procedure. This is the most important attack on American rights in most of our lifetimes. It shouldn't be approached with the same gravity as tax reform.

Joe Biden should resign in dishonor at the fact that this even happened on his watch.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

cat botherer posted:

No it is not. It is an argument to put your limited resources to useful ends instead of supporting an unjust system.

Vote, because not voting is a half vote for the greater evil, but definitely stop supporting the system. We live under occupation.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Not voting is actually no vote at all

Incorrect. Not voting shrinks the overall vote pool making majority easier to reach. If voting for the viable lesser of two evils is one whole vote that the greater must overcome to win, the lack of voting at all acts like a oartial vote in their favor.

Maybe i should have just said partial and not half. I rounded.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

TyrantWD posted:

Would that be untrue?

Looks at gerrymandering...

Very much so

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Majorian posted:

Yes, that is kind of the top priority, but here's the problem: can we keep that from happening by staying within the American two-party electoral system? Or is that a dead-end? I think it's a dead-end, and the only way out of this is by breaking out of our corrupt, sclerotic system.

America is a dead end

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Gripweed posted:

No, that doesn't make any sense.

There are 11 people and 2 candidates. Everyone votes. It takes 6 votes to win. The greater evil gets 5 votes. The lesser evil wins.

There are 11 people and 2 candidates. 2 people refuse to vote. It takes 5 votes to win. The greater evil wins with 5 votes.

Shrinking the voting pool makes it easier for whoever wins to win.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

I'm not optimistic here, because, you know, no one ever went broke betting that the rich and powerful in America would get away with crimes, but there is a pretty big difference here. In the three cases you mentioned, Republicans were needed to do anything. For the Mueller report, Mueller himself was a Republican, as was the head of the DoJ (lBill Barr), and for the two impeachments, 19(-ish) Republican senators were needed for removal from office. With the 1-6 commission, the DoJ could prosecute the case, and no Republicans are needed for that prosecution, aside from maybe those who have already testified against Trump. We'll see if they actually do bring the case, but they could.

Of course, when it becomes time to have the jury vote, I am not hopeful that a Republican jurist won't just blow up the conviction out of party loyalty. So it's probably all a moot point.

RICO laws mean you can charge the entire organization, don't they?

Charge every Republican, imho.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Eric Cantonese posted:

God struck down Onan for pulling out. Of course contraception is forbidden. You're trying to circumvent the will of God.

God struck down Onan for dishonoring his brother's widow and attempting to steal the birthright from the proper lineage.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

can you post the story, it's paywalled

tl;dr "Famously anti-choice Democrat set to name fundie Republican judge to the bench"

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Randalor posted:

The game isn't over, the Democrats do have options (Like, say, expanding the Supreme Court) but because they refuse to do anything because "Decorum" and "Precedent", it's effectively over, and now it's just a matter of sitting through the endgame. Democracy dies because of inertia.

Playing the game and attempting to use a flawed system will always fail us over time. It's not the play that's the problem, it's the game itself. We need a new game.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Eric Cantonese posted:

Being Vice President is like being the lead guitarist of a band, right? You're not the singer, but you're the cool guy soloing over the music!!!!

Bass tech at best

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

You're not the Supreme Court, and neither is this thread. My post explaining conflict of laws already discussed why this is unlikely to transpire. Responding to it with nothing but "yes, but the fascists are so angrypowerful they can ignore all information, and therefore so can I" doesn't actually promote any kind of discussion or detail.

I may not be on the court but inexplicably I have found that I am a more impartial and more intellectually honest jurist than 5 of them.

I don't vouch for the specific arguments being made, but I find it very helpful to be reminded that the whole system is illegitimate but for the threat of force. Don't get me wrong, you have to go through the motions of government and wrest whatever positive outcome you can, but acting like there are any rules left when almost everyone's just playing political team sports is giving too much faith and legitimacy to the system.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

Who is the one conservative judge you you find impartial and intellectually honest, Gorsuch?

I'm probably on par with Roberts and he writes a better opinion than I would even though he's still a piece of poo poo.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Rigel posted:

This is common knowledge. Are you not old enough to know that fiscal conservatives have been using christian extremists for decades, trying to throw them the bare minimum number of bones to keep voting? Well they finally lost control. Hawley recently commented that the alliance of convenience was over and they were in control now

The fiscal conservatives aren't morons, they know how extremely unpopular this is. They care about tax cuts and FYGM. Roe v Wade being overturned endangers that. They would have preferred to continue stringing them along for many more years, continuing to say "don't worry, aaaannny year now you'll finally get abortion banned, trust us!"

Fiscal conservatives sponsored and grew the seething hordes of fundies into the force that took over their party, they're totally morons.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Rigel posted:

Yeah, well they needed the votes. Without them, they don't win in the first place. The rode the tiger as long as they could.

I am corrected... EVIL morons

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

cat botherer posted:

I’m complaining about the discrepancy and the amount. I don’t want more probing, so I’m not going to report a quarter of the posts ITT. For whatever reason, leftists get probed a lot more than centrists, which discourages these points of view. I don’t want to make it worse by reporting people constantly myself. I wonder if this high school debate clube vibe has something to do with a former sub-forum of D&D getting more than twice the readership that this one does.

Assuming Koos Group and team are just responding to reports, not moderating threads, this would lead me to believe that centrists report getting their dumb ideas called out more than leftists report their dumb ideas.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

:shrug: I don't think there's going to be a clean answer to "What do you do if people are exploiting you?" because any power structure is an avenue to help and exploit. Democracy is one of the answers to how we push back against that but lol also look where we are. Yeah, things are going to get ugly if the federal government collapses or takes a position of being proactively violent towards citizens. We will be entering the wilderness and the only answer to how to be safe in the wilderness is be careful and be prepared.

Edit: To be incredibly clear, I also don't want anyone to have to go through this poo poo. It's awful and scary. But if you live somewhere and the rule of law suddenly gets obliterated like it can you had better be friendly with the local community and have safety in numbers.

The government is already being proactively violent towards multiple segments of its citizenry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

and when the head of the military, a former general, informs the military that no, the President's fully legal orders are not to be obeyed, that is what.

sorry, man. it happened. the norms were violated, in the most dangerous way it is possible to violate them. the world probably came out ahead on the deal.

I should hope every secretary of defense be so independent. The president can accept their secdef's resignation at any time.

I think your read on the situation is incorrectly skewed by the fact that Mattis was a general. It's still the military obeying the civilian leadership this time.