Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Not only are they generally public, the agency has to respond to all substantive comments. Regulations.gov is a treasuretrove.

This is what leads to things like the US government officially stating that nuking hurricanes would be a "bad idea", isn't it. I feel bad for the folks who have to write that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He was only a political nobody in the "Ronald Reagan? The actor?!?" sense.

This is some Marty McFly positioning you have going on here, friend. The escalator event was something that no one prognosticated, that I could have seen at the time, and I am an avid fan of US politics!, and during his run a vast majority of the media circuit treated him as a joke. Literally, we have John Oliver apologizing for the fact! It wasn't until, say, Chris Christie suicide-bombing himself on Rubio that anyone on the circuit figured this might be happening, and even then, barely. You remember Cruz's running mate falling through a floor?

Ronald Reagan was asked to run while Nixon was doing rounds in 1968, it is laughable that you'd bring him up in comparison to what is happening today.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Trump actually first floated his Presidential run in 1988 and had been active in politics since then.

Yes, the man https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NsrwH9I9vE active in politics.

Do you have any receipts about people anticipating the escalator? Do you have any receipts before that saying Trump will be president? Back to the Future does not count, I already called that.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nobody said it was obvious he would win or anything like that. Someone said he was a "nobody" who hadn't been involved in politics until 2016. He had been floating a Presidential run since 1988, was floated as a front-runner in 1996, actually ran for President in 2000, was considering a run in 2012, and actually ran for President a second time in 2016. Not to mention all the Obama stuff, his work promoting Perot, and his other dips into national politics.

Okay, but you did state this

Trump actually first floated his Presidential run in 1988 and had been active in politics since then.

If you want to see a disturbing video of Oprah talking to a much more coherent Trump in 1988 that is saying the same things as 2016 Trump, but couching the racism better in "universal" language, then watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEPs17_AkTI

Which is kind of silly on its face when you look at it. No one considered Trump a contender in the 90's, unless you wish to argue the opposite?, and the escalator came as a surprise to the commentator class en masse. Do you propose, now, that you, and potentially other commentators in the media, had unsourced ideas about Donald Trump running for POTUS?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

"Nega-Cassandra-energy" is a wonderful term, because no one listened to her, but goons as an audience sure listened to those ideas. I did myself :(

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

ellasmith posted:

I’m 100% serious

You don't have PMs, but if you are really literally killing yourself with booze, you can talk to me (e-mails, whatever), you don't have to do that to yourself. And generally speaking, it's not a nice way to go.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rigel posted:

Just to be clear, I do want Trump to win the nomination. I don't think it will happen.

I can't tell if this is a joke about the John Oliver bit from 2015, but if it isn't, I apologize.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

He's also giving one to a nurse who was the first American who received the Covid-19 vaccine, but does being first in line to get a vaccine technically count as an "especially meritorious contributions to the security or national interests of the United States, to world peace, or to cultural or other significant public or private endeavors."?

Neil Armstrong was the first in a line, even though Buzz was also right there.

Though in Buzz's defense, he did punch that moon landing hoaxer, so in the end it's a wash :unsmith:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My recollection was he voluntarily withdrew rather than the party cutting bait, but I sure as hell didn't check lol

His television announcement of withdrawal was a bit of a surprise at the time, but obviously he saw that the '68 convention was going to be an absolute poo poo-show, and oh boy was it. The party definitely was not unified behind him, which I think was the original question.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

PT6A posted:

Why are used car salesmen the go-to for disgusting, venal rear end in a top hat comparisons when realtors are right there?

In the year of our lord 2022, we should have a better idea of who our enemies are.

It was used in anti-Nixon campaign material in the 1960 race, and no one has bothered to update the comparison I suppose :shrug:

Although those ads suggested Nixon was too dishonest to be a used car salesman!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

If History repeats itself, then we'll have President McMahon trying to reimplement prima nocturne via executive order in 2025.

You know that "prima nocturne" wasn't a thing, right

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

From 2017, the Guardian reporting

quote:

Would we allow a female leader to speak like Donald Trump?

That question inspired a new play that restages parts of the three 2016 presidential debates word-for-word and gesture-for-gesture – but with a woman depicting Donald Trump and a man playing Hillary Clinton.

Her Opponent was performed on Saturday night in New York City. On Friday, a rehearsal raised unexpected questions, some of them troubling. For instance, was the real Trump’s rhetoric offensive to liberals because it was delivered by a repugnant reality TV star?

“When a woman says it, it doesn’t sound as crazy,” said Maria Guadalupe, a professor at France’s INSEAD Business school and a co-creator with Joe Salvatore, clinical associate professor of educational theatre at New York University’s Steinhardt School, of the play.

Did Clinton supporters not realize how much her hyper-polished political style alienated people?

“When a man [re-creates Clinton’s performance],” said Salvatore, “it feels like a lot of mansplaining.”

Salvatore voted for Clinton and describes himself as left-leaning. Seeing Clinton’s words performed by someone else left him “feeling unsettled” about that support.

[...]

As a man, Clinton seemed like a cliched and sleazy politician, overly polished, making grand promises. Her constant smiling felt more forced when a man did it, since it’s rare for men to fake smiles.

When Embry read out Clinton’s website address and book information, mid-debate, he seemed overwhelmingly smug.

[...]

These were not new criticisms of Clinton, but the gender switch in Her Opponent let viewers rethink attitudes and misconceptions towards both candidates.

The audience also liked the "female Trump" actor more than Trump, but this doesn't seem like a particularly high bar.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Umberto Eco, "Foucault's Pendulum" posted:

He threw open the shutters dramatically and pointed. At the corner of the narrow street and the broad avenue, stood a little wooden kiosk, where, presumably, lottery tickets were sold.

“Gentlemen,” he said, “I invite you to go and measure that kiosk. You will see that the length of the counter is one hundred and forty-nine centimeters – in other words, one hundred-billionth of the distance between the earth and the sun. The height at the rear, one hundred and seventy-six centimeters, divided by the width of the window, fifty-six centimeters, is 3.14. The height at the front is nineteen decimeters, equal, in other words, to the number of years of the Greek lunar cycle. The sum of the heights of the two front corners and the two rear corners is one hundred and ninety times two plus one hundred and seventy-six times two, which equals seven hundred and thirty-two, the date of the victory at Poitiers. The thickness of the counter is 3.10 centimeters, and the width of the cornice of the window is 8.8 centimeters. Replacing the numbers before the decimals by the corresponding letters of the alphabet, we obtain C for ten and H for eight, or C10H8, which is the formula for naphthalene.”

“Fantastic,” I said. “You did all these measurements?” “No,” Aglie said. “They were done on another kiosk, by a certain Jean-Pierre Adam. But I would assume that all lottery kiosks have more or less the same dimensions. With numbers you can do anything you like. Suppose I have the sacred number 9 and I want to get the number 1314, date of the execution of Jacques de Molay – a date dear to anyone who, like me, professes devotion to the Templar tradition of knighthood. What do I do? I multiply nine by one hundred and forty-six, the fateful day of the destruction of Carthage. How did I arrive at this? I divided thirteen hundred and fourteen by two, by three, et cetera, until I found a satisfying date. I could also have divided thirteen hundred and fourteen by 6.28, the double of 3.14, and I would have got two hundred and nine. That is the year in which Attalus I, king of Pergamon, joined the anti-Macedonian League. You see?”

“Then you don't believe in numerologies of any kind,” Diotallevi said, disappointed.

“On the contrary, I believe firmly. I believe the universe is a great symphony of numerical correspondences, I believe that numbers and their symbolisms provide a path to special knowledge. But if the world, below and above, is a system of correspondences where tout se tient, it’s natural for the kiosk and the pyramid, both works of man, to reproduce in their structure, unconsciously, the harmonies of the cosmos.”

:pcgaming:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

A4 has the nice number in inches, though

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I am still enraged that Trump existing destroyed Alpha House prematurely.

This is a-historical. Alpha House, while wonderful, ended in 2014, which was a whole year before that fateful escalator ride.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

yes but surely they would have resurre-

okay fine I'm owned

Please don't tell me this means I have to mod in your stead :eng99:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

I ain't afraid of no ghosts.

:emptyquote:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't Trump infamously a germaphobe as well as weird about food and drinks? Wouldn't surprise me.

He's weird about food because of his germaphobia. He thinks McDonald's is less likely to be compromised. Somehow.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Captain_Maclaine posted:

There's a classic political cartoon from the 70s that parallels this exactly (and which it's killing me not to be able to find in the wild, as I only have it on another device not currently to hand); this woman describes how dull and grey life has become, how she can't feel things like she used to and can barely summon the motivation to get out of bed, concluding in the final panel, "I need Nixon."

This kind of teasing is just cruel :smith:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Look at the wide shots, not the closely zoomed-in shots. They shone red, white, and blue lighting on the building in the background during an outdoor speech at night, with a number of American flags in the background. It's not at all a mystery what they were going for...unless you only see cherrypicked straight-on close-up shots by cameras on full zoom.

I understand what the intention was, but as a non-American, I could totally buy that this is the scene where he announces that in five minutes, the army of giant mechanical spiders will be released

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fart Amplifier posted:

Don't listen to bad sources.

Why is Main Paineframe a bad source?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

haveblue posted:

Smh if you didn't learn that from The X-Files Doctor Strangelove

:colbert:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Perlstein trilogy has a fourth part now, Reaganland, though I haven't had the time to read it myself yet.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It's obviously France, he has a thing about Jupiter and his effect on the women in his life!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't remember that. I think everyone thought it was going to be close but that she would narrowly win.

It's easier to typo "vould" from "could" than "would", despite the v-similarity.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fritz the Horse posted:

edit: *the sky is blue because of how the ozone layer refracts light.

Rayleigh scattering is inversely proportional to the fourth power of the wave-length of incident radiation, whereby blue (shorter wave-length) light is scattered more than longer wave-length light. Ozone doesn't play any particular role in this, it's all the gases in the Earth's atmosphere.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fritz the Horse posted:

lol I've been mildly owned, thanks

sort of demonstrates my point though--what some people take to be axiomatic or established fact is not always correct or sufficiently nuanced or may not be well-understood by others. insisting your priors are correct when someone is asking you to explain them is not really good discussion and does not serve to educate or inform the person asking "why"

That was the joke, sorry :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cranappleberry posted:

if a president dreams of declassifying state secrets and people use dream espionage to steal the now declassified secret, it's legally not espionage.

Those dang Beagle Boys, stealing nuclear secrets left and right!