Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

On account of my mental health and/or blood pressure, can I just ignore whatever poo poo's spewed out of Texas for the rest of the year? I have a feeling this will bite Texan Chuds later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fritz the Horse posted:

yes, you have permission to not bury yourself in anxiety spirals over all the bad poo poo:
It's not even anxiety spirals at this point it's just full ire now.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Does the recent SCOTUS ruling against New York's concealed carry law mean gun control of any kind (like the bill in the senate) is now dead in the water?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Majorian posted:

It seems pretty likely to me that by continuing the "VBNMW" strategy and trusting in the Democratic Party to defend our rights, we're still going to end up with the worst-case scenario: a fascist America. We are already a truly bad actor in the world - there are ways in which we could be worse, but we'll probably hit those targets once the Republicans consolidate full control over the government anyway. So we need to be prepared to take a chance and try something new when the old strategy has failed us time after time.
Have you been this pessimistic since Biden took office?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Yinlock posted:

Pessimism would be to say that there is no hope and nothing you can do. Recognizing a dead end for what it is isn't actually pessimistic, it's just accepting reality.

When the brake line has been cut at some point you gotta accept that hammering that pedal isn't actually gonna do anything and it's time to figure out something else.
Okay for a second it felt like I was being told "there's nothing you can do besides vote; even if you invest/work/advocate for a group it won't be enough; fascism is inevitable" there.
Cause right now I'm too busy finding a new job to go to the pulpit as a joan-of-arc figure and inevitably get a martyr's bullet for my troubles, for daring to make a difference.
argh

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Yinlock posted:

Yeah keeping people too busy just trying to survive so they can't even think about rebelling is one of the Features of capitalism. Nobody's gonna judge you for not personally leading the peoples' revolution, just saying that voting probably isn't gonna do anything.
I just wonder what made Majorian suddenly think the Biden administration was as useless as the Obama admin and that fascism was inevitable country-wide with no escape.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Yinlock posted:

Yeah keeping people too busy just trying to survive so they can't even think about rebelling is one of the Features of capitalism. Nobody's gonna judge you for not personally leading the peoples' revolution, just saying that voting probably isn't gonna do anything.
Okay but did Majorian just say we're all hosed - he was a voice of reason in 2020

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Majorian posted:

No. We're hosed if all we do is operate within the American electoral system, ie: VBNMW, donate $15 to Pelosi's email campaigns, volunteer for Democratic candidates, etc. We are not hosed if we operate outside of the system and take direct action.
But who among our effete younger generations would take direct action when a mere canister of tear gas disperses a Phoenix AZ crowd? Has anyone in this country taken direct action? Was it done in 2018? Did we not perform rather well that year? Have there been any other congressmen besides AOC who are trying to fight against this with bite? I've seen nothing but whimpering in the news all day!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

theCalamity posted:

If, as you say, all they care about is staying in power, then we need to hit them where it hurts and withhold our votes from the Democrats. If they continue to say "vote for us or you get the bad guys" then we should not vote for them.
Go ahead! Throw your vote away to the fascists who will beat them from your lack of vote!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fritz the Horse posted:

idk that arguing hypothetical alternate histories is terribly productive
Wait a second - these threads have all been in chorus about the impending destruction of american democracy ever since Trump took power (and before). Has much changed in that regard pre vs post-overturn?

And should that mean that I have no choice but to dictate my future as one of doom? I've had a burden complex for the longest time.