Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
God they will just torpedo the entire planet before giving people a raise, huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Number_6 posted:

Everyone I know has told me that the inflation is because Biden gave people $1400 and heaped lavish unemployment benefits on them during peak Covid.

How come no one I know has suggested that maybe the recent housing and stock market bubbles that created zillions of dollars in fake wealth out of nothing has something to do with it.

Because there's an absolute fuckton of money being spent to make sure the have that belief. Propaganda works

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
If you think anti-choice groups are going to stop with just abortion being legal, they are not

https://twitter.com/robinmarty/status/1538913668376760320

They have boilerplate legislation ready to go that will stop people form even having access to or sharing information.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Yinlock posted:

Not enough to stop being good friends with the people leading the court in that direction, of course.

The "he says what I want to say!" aspect of trump was truly an under appreciated aspect of his appeal. It's a pretty bipartisan sentiment.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

This type of non sequitur / straw man does little other than try to stifle discussion. No one said it's the greatest crime. You're not engaging with the actual point that's being made, which is that it's pretty self defeating to talk about how the Court is dismantling basic civil rights but also that the people directly and fully responsible for this are good people that she respects.

People that dismantle civil rights for others are not good people. They deserve severe punishment, not praise.

Yes she has to smile and pretend to like the people taking away rights so they don't take away rights harder.

This is a common experience for a woman of color.

Are you saying you don't understand what she's doing or that you're just frustrated by it?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Yinlock posted:

Hold on, "so they don't take away rights harder" implies that being extra nice to Clarence Thomas has slowed down the rate at which rights are being taken away, and I think you're going to have to show your work on that one.

e: I'm pretty sure there's no actual benefit to the claim of friendship and respect with her supposed ideological enemy and she was just being truthful.

She might be truthful. She might be attempting to work the justices with internal politics so she can get votes on poo poo they were borderline on, as she has very little *relative* power, being in a 6-3 minority. Being nice to people who are hurting you because you need to get things from them is not an unusual position for a lot of people to find themselves in.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The burden of proof is now 100% on you to show that the case decisions of Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, etc. are more progressive because Sotomayor praises them publicly. I honestly can't wait for this data set.

No way of knowing that, the court is famously quiet about internal conversations prior to the abortion leak. This is speculation on my part that you simply don't like.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 21, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's honestly just insanely racist to assume you know someone's true intentions and that they're lying based on the color of their skin. It's not better because you're assuming good things

I could be wrong, I probably overstated how certain I am that this is going on.

Are you not familiar with people having to do what I described?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Gumball Gumption posted:

I have but the color of their skin has never actually been a good short hand for it. You can come up with a good argument for why she might be doing that in a way that isn't race reductionist.

I think it's a combination of race and gender that makes it likely she's had to do this type of thing before and it's something I recognize from women of color literally pointing out, to me, themselves, when they're doing it.

I agree that I too strongly said I know for sure what she's doing but I do believe there's a good chance that's what's going on. I think it's more likely than her just pretending to care about rights at all, or Thomas just so dang charming.

quote:

A Supreme Court Justice isn't going to make those calculations the same way someone talking to their boss or a police officer will be on account of being a Supreme Court Justice. Her life isn't the life of your average person of color so using that as a shorthand for her is lazy at best.

Her life isn't, but she's also not completely free from having to navigate workplace politics, and you can't simply remove race and gender when someone is really powerful.

People constantly sound like they're expecting her to go off on a coworker to the media when she's the member of a tiny group of powerful people that are basically decorum elementals, as someone else put it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I particularly love the implication that the speculation you're offering, which is admittedly based on absolutely nothing, is something others should "like" by default. You made a claim, can't back it up at all, and are now acting as if it's a failure on others' part.

We have hundreds of years of Supreme Court history to draw on. If you can't find a single example in centuries of history to support your opinion, it's most likely horseshit.

No, they are not sounding like this. People are criticizing her for going out of her way to praise Thomas. She could just remain silent or duck the question in any number of ways. No one's demanding she come out and declare him a fascist and the Court an illegitimate institution (though she would be correct if she did). We get that she has to play the game somewhat. She's not just doing that though- it very much seems like she means it, and that is a moral failure on her part if so.

Everything she says is going to be picked apart. She likely is playing the game, but not the way you want her to play it.

I feel like people want her to be shadey, passive aggressive, our outright hostile, because that's what they think they would do in her position. I don't think most SCOTUS justices would

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I don’t understand this. I thought it was ruled that money is speech. This is inconsistent that there isn’t a logical argument.

Um this is the Roberts court, logic and consistency are out the window.

The answer is "does this hurt the people with power and money" and if "yes" then it's not protected.

----------------------------------

In other news,

FINA(the governing body of swimming) has essentially decided that Lia Thomas worked too hard to be good and thus transgender women can't compete in swimming.

https://resources.fina.org/fina/document/2022/06/19/525de003-51f4-47d3-8d5a-716dac5f77c7/FINA-INCLUSION-POLICY-AND-APPENDICES-FINAL-.pdf

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Anyway the point, solid persistent 30 second difference between the top men and top women in the 500. Transition changed her (Lia Thomas’ ) 500 by only 15 seconds.

Katie Ledecky did it almost 10 seconds faster literally 5 years ago, and is built in what some would consider a more "masculine" body type than Lia, and she is cis.

Lia is mainly notable because she worked really hard and won an event.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Oracle posted:

The other thing that's been on my mind lately is how we raise AMAB vs AFAB. We are not afraid to push AMAB kids to excel, noone warns them not to do too well or else they may alienate friends/the opposite sex, they're encouraged to excel and put sports ahead of everything else without fear of being seen as too manly, etc. So when an AMAB person transitions they don't have all that societal baggage AFAB competitors do. I'd be very curious as to what might happen if AFAB athletes were treated as such coming up. (we already see evidence that societal expectation affects performance in mathematics as an example, countries where its not considered a gendered skill have much higher rates of women in hard sciences/maths vs places where its considered an inherent weakness assigned to sex).

Where do you get this idea? Transgender women much of the societal baggage of women, plus the baggage of being transgender.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Oracle posted:

My point is they weren't RAISED with it, which can affect how you train/learn.

That's not necessarily true at all, especially if you're transgender.

Consider that your assumptions might be wrong before you start going off on them.

ellasmith posted:

I’m just glad even democrats are coming around to the idea that defunding the police was an awful decision. Living in a low income city in the northeast, nearly all of my friends and coworkers are black or Hispanic and I can’t think of a single one of them who believes we need less policing, not more.

Ironically, it’s the nearby lily-white college towns with very little crime of any sort where you hear that talk. Of course, you rarely see them come down here.

I'm generally the whitest person and one of the few whites in my justice and police reform activism groups. All of the leadership and speakers are black and brown.

If you personally have issues with the concept, I'd recommend you frame it that way because your personal radius may not be universal.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Mendrian posted:

The police are not helpful.

I have a hard time imagining what pro-police people think the police in their current incarnations actually do. Because police rarely stop crime in progress or recovery lost property and those are the two things people imagine them doing the most. What things are police helping with, I am genuinely curious.

Most entertainment and news gives a completely inaccurate view of the realities of policing.

People are mostly assuming that fictional TV shows and movies are reality.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Very well timed, the NAF released it's study on violence at abortion clinics today.

From 2020 to 2021, we have

600 percent increase of in-person stalking incidents across its U.S. clinics
450 percent increase in physical blockades
163 percent increase in hoax devices and suspicious packages
129 percent in clinic invasions
128 percent increase in assault and battery of staff

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Joe Biden was part of the administration that said this previously, had the votes, and still didn't do it.

Why should voters believe him now?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Cimber posted:

I'm trying to think. In the last 30 years we've had 18 years of democratic leadership and 12 of Republican. What are the big signature policy changes the democrats can point to, and what are the big ones that the republicans can point to?

Republicans:
R v. Wade
War on terror
Iraq war
Huge tax cuts
Medicare plan D for seniors

Democrats:
Obamacare.

While I agree Dems are listless, you're skewing it to make your argument seem stronger by filtering through what you care about.

Like if you're going to include RvW on the repub side, you can include obergefell on the dem side. And you can include huge tax cuts but the Repub voters hated them so I don't know what value it had to the base.

vvv that too

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 27, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Rigel posted:

There are a lot of governors who are not going to step aside for Harris. It will be a real fight if Biden bows out, and he might even have a real challenger if he does not like Carter did with as unpopular as he is.

Gavbot has been programmed his entire operating cycle for this.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Willa Rogers posted:

The GOP doesn't hate female & youthful candidates; seven of the 10 youngest current u.s. senators are republicans, and they've successfully won lots of seats with conservative women (including two-fers like Flores in TX and Sears in VA).

That's like saying they don't hate black people because they have a few black candidates.

They do hate women, unless they're One of the Good Ones(tm). That's why they focus their worst vitriol on those people.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Looking over the residency requirement article, NYC has a very weird employment policy that I have not seen in other major metro areas:

Seems baffling that you need to live in the city limits to work as a secretary for the Department of Sanitation or a janitor for a city courthouse.

And that cops are excluded.

Hrrrm odd that they haven't been required to live where they work since the 1960s.

Did something relevant to that happen around then.....

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Hahha how can that possibly be real what an absolute leadership shitshow.

On so many levels. Like, how can you not have a contingency plan for this, and how can it be executive dependent like that.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

u know that this is the largest doj investigation in the history of the us right

You know he's done all sorts of poo poo but didn't see any consequences and nearly got a 2nd term, right?

Mueller report indicted dozens of people. Most people, even on this board, remember it as a nothingburger.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Gripweed posted:

I genuinely don't understand how someone could live through the Mueller Report, the impeachment, and the second impeachment, and think that fourth time's the charm.

Desperate hope fighting against despair, I'd imagine.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Cimber posted:

and ironically enough, the 1950s were great for straight cis white men because of Democratic policies during the 30s and 40s.

Just want to clarify

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Kraftwerk posted:

The left's brain trust is a fractured mess of people who will become severe ideological enemies over differences in political ideology. A lot of people who want to advance a leftist ideology today are high level intellectuals who are not used to talking to people of variable backgrounds. We also have a problem in that we tend to write off our political opponents or improperly sell our politics such that its easy for the right to frame our ideas as "Taking away your truck. Taking away your hamburger." And in many circles some of those things are the only comforts they have despite being dirt poor and needing assistance elsewhere.

In other words the left has a severe deficit of social skills and salesmanship skills with a "my way or the highway" attitude that alienates a shitload of people who would otherwise be amenable to the issues proposed. Its why America has such wide ranging support for leftist issues despite the GOP getting shitloads of votes. We sound like a bunch of shrieking moralist crusaders who want to take away all the fun and good in life.

I'm of the opinion that you need a person like Huey Long who is willing to do morally questionable things in the advancement of a leftist ideology. I do not think politics is fair or moral and is strictly about power at any costs and thus requires a degree of corruption and strong personalities to carry the whole movement forward. There never would've been a Bolshevik takeover of Russia without Lenin's single-minded and relentless pursuit of political power. We need a guy like that here, who has the salesmanship skills to steal many of the people we ideologically despise right here in this thread. Because the ancestors of those same people were out there agitating for labor rights and new deal era policies during the depression and then we lost them in the 1970s to Reagan.

It's always very clear who's only interaction with the modern left is reading terminally online people, and who's actually doing work in that space.

You can tell by their complaints.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Kraftwerk posted:

It's the American Taliban.

No, it's the American Christian fascism.

Don't piggyback on western islamaphobia to make your point.

Same thing for people calling it Christian sharia law. Sharia allows abortion.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Kraftwerk posted:

I know that Islam as it's originally practiced is in some cases more forgiving than American Christianity. And honestly if we dig into scripture we can find multiple points in the bible that actually endorse abortion as a solution for things like kids born out of adultery.
The problem is that bible interpretations are a religious calvinball.

I dislike the Taliban as an organization because of their attitudes towards women's rights and their requirement to have a religious police that enforces certain things that would be deemed a human rights violation here. What I see in post Roe v Wade America is a bunch of states adopting a 21st century surveillance state framework for what the religious police in Taliban Afghanistan or Saudi Arabia do in the present day. That was the core of my point.

I knew why you said it, and I don't care. It wasn't that complex a thought.

Deal with the problem you have here instead of complaining about muslims have a world away to make your point.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I don't think "Christian fascism" captures the theocratic aspect that Christian Sharia and American Taliban do. It's the same reason you see handmaid's tale references.

Yes, they work because those references piggyback on western islamaphobia and racism.

Gilead is a better rhetorical device that doesn't involve that.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
The confusion is the point.

Though I admit some of those providers are intentionally taking the most conservatives interpretations

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Zero_Grade posted:

In lighter news, an addendum to Burgerwall from yesterday that I didn't see highlighted in the thread:

https://twitter.com/bluestein/status/1541958552532795393

There's nothing else really surprising in the article that you couldn't also learn from Hutchinson's/others' testimony (Trump definitely a very stable genious), but I really liked the fresh twist detail of Music Man. It would be great to know more about him, but alas there appears to be no further elaboration in the article. Also wonder if he has opinions on Cats (2019).

I mean obviously you'd like Memory it's by far the best track in the show and the whole musical can be thought of as a frame for that particular song.

But also this feels like it's veering off into Gorilla Channel territory where we all gawk at how ridiculous our very ridiculous president was.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Orthanc6 posted:

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1542525374235643904

Well he's saying he'll push for the right thing, now to see how hard he actually pushes for it.

He can push as hard as he wants, because it's not going to happen and he doesn't have the votes.

He no longer has to do anything other than talk. There's no more chance of actually having to back this rhetoric up.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- Half goes to deficit reduction.

LOL yeah lets balance that budget in a recession loving shitlords

Treasuries are going to make our cost of borrowing basically nothing but gotta treat that checkbook like it's your moms

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Willa Rogers posted:

When there's been a successful 30-year, bipartisan campaign against the mythical "partial birth abortion" it's not very surprising; propaganda & no meaningful opposition pushback had done its duty once a sizable no. of Dems acceded to GOP framing.

63 House Democrats voted for the 2003 bill, as did 15 U.S. Democratic U.S. Senators (including one Joseph R. Biden & the current hipster himself, Patrick Leahy).

(MODS: If I'm making too subtle of a point here, let me know & I'll elaborate. I'm positing a theory here, nothing more & nothing less, and I'm not "arguing" but rather elucidating why the polls have these results.)

Agreed.

Or more simply, propaganda works. There's been a 50 year effort to make abortions seem bad and even the people who ostensibly support the choice to get them have that distaste.

"Safe, legal, and rare" implies they are something wrong or to be ashamed of.

It's a medical procedure.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Cimber posted:

I wodner if the people who say that abortion should be illegal in the last 3 months of pregnancy actually stop and think about who's getting abortions at that time.

They absolutely do not

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Koos Group posted:

To clarify something last night, you can post paywall bypasses in D&D, and I would go so far as to encourage doing so if necessary.

https://12ft.io/

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Wouldn't want women to have too much agency over their own bodies.

They can have a little abortion, as a treat, as long as I'm OK with it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Cefte posted:

This was predictable - the delayed effect of the standard medications means patients who didn't stay outside their home state for weeks would be exposed to a motivated prosecutor. Going to be hellish to try and up-provision for surgical only.

Yes last I head MABs was a significant majority of PP abortion care.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Discendo Vox posted:

Just because something is complex doesn’t mean the appropriate response is to dismiss it and assume the worst outcome.

The poster was speaking to the response of the fascists, who do not deal in complexity and generally decide on the basis of 'does this outcome help conservatives'.

Complexity and sophistry merely serve as fig leaves to the fascist outcome and these days barely even that.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Discendo Vox posted:

You're not the Supreme Court, and neither is this thread. My post explaining conflict of laws already discussed why this is unlikely to transpire. Responding to it with nothing but "yes, but the fascists are so angrypowerful they can ignore all information, and therefore so can I" doesn't actually promote any kind of discussion or detail.

You need to engage with the reality of the SCOTUS not the neat legal puzzles.

The justices themselves are pointing out that the majority is basically contradicting itself constantly and has no clear jurisprudence.

If you're not engaging with that then you aren't adding anything to the discussion but intellectual masturbation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Prepare for a round of watch out for quiet kids they are the real problem not the white nationalism rounds in the media. https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/illinois-shooting-july-fourth-parade-07-05-22/index.html

Sometimes that poo poo is true, and sometimes that poo poo is bullshit from people who are not willing to say "Oh yeah I saw warning signs and did nothing" so, whatever.

But yes it's also entirely possible he was quietly radicalized by social media algorithms.