Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

is pepsi ok posted:

Saw some discussion on why non-voters don't vote. I always thought this 2020 Ipsos poll was interesting.

That is interesting, mostly to me in the sense that nonvoters are only slightly more cynical than voters, and both groups seem to have broadly correct views on the level of personal representation in American democracy. I'm positive though that if you drill down on the beliefs of an individual median nonvoter it would likely be an shapeless blob of contradictory confusion and resentments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Taiko posted:

The saddest part is that it was probably a really nice burger that someone who works in the White House Mess had done a really good job of cooking. "Well I know he likes it well done, but that doesn't mean there can't be flavor," the person said as they made the patty, seasoned it, and cooked it with care. Then it was carried upstairs and what happened happened.

I thought he only ate literal McDonalds and Burger King tho

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tiny Timbs posted:

I feel like it would be hard to throw a Big Mac with such small hands. It would just come apart.

They're not as big as they look in the ads

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

MooselanderII posted:

Everyone involved in January 6th is getting a pardon come January, 2025, so I'm non plussed at any of this being meaningful anyways.

Not to be too prescriptivist, but nonplussed means perplexed/bamboozled

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dubar posted:

If the person responsible for feeding Trump didn't have a backup burger at the ready, then they aren't very good at their job.

:siren: A SECOND BURGER HAS HIT THE WALL :siren:

Watch trump start a loving coup

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gripweed posted:

Clinton's experience was one and one third Senate terms where her most noteworthy vote was in favor of the Iraq War. And then she was Secretary of State for five years, where here most noteworthy accomplish was making Libya not a country anymore. And that's it

Clinton was, second only to Trump, the least experienced major party candidate in decades.

She legitimately had a lot more high -level experience than Barack Hussein SuperAllah Obama. That was part of the whole "3am phonecall" thing (which of course also leaned heavily on her just living in the WH for a few years) It's just that as you say she dispositively proved that she was poo poo at both of those high-level jobs

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 29, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ershalim posted:

He's using it as a litmus test like he did in 2018? But like, wasn't the main feel for Joe Biden's candidacy run that he simply wasn't doing anything at all? He was basically handed the position by default because he happened to still be in the running. A huge chunk of states didn't even get to pretend to vote for Bernie because he'd already dropped out by the time their primaries had happened. If the midterms are as close as they were in 2018, is he going to take that as a sign to continue to do nothing?

.... Oh.

Lol they're going to get loving wiped in 22 and 24

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaxyon posted:

Agreed.

Or more simply, propaganda works. There's been a 50 year effort to make abortions seem bad and even the people who ostensibly support the choice to get them have that distaste.

"Safe, legal, and rare" implies they are something wrong or to be ashamed of.

It's a medical procedure.

I loving despise that framing, I don't want appendectomies to be "rare" and abortions are no different.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Main Paineframe posted:

Biden's inner circle and Harris' inner circle reportedly get along very badly, too. We won't know the juicy details till the tell-all books start popping up in a few years, but plenty of staffers have been leaking gossip to the political press.

As the story goes, Harris' camp feel that Biden isn't giving her chances to politically shine, while the Biden camp is wary of her ambitions and feels that she's flubbed the chances she's been given. As a result, the relationship between their groups is unusually tense.

It's all anonymous sources, of course, so it could very well be false. But it's been a consistent narrative basically since Biden won the primary.

Christ those books will be the most boring poo poo of all time. Hard to see any readership for them outside giga-lanyard acolytes of the Pod Jons, especially since they'll be published in a few years time when Re-President Trump has enacted the WH40K Imperium and it's raining ketchup from a lacerated sky

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Keyser_Soze posted:

Meanwhile, we all wait for the "magical internet marxist to unite us all" currently serving an a school board in Cleveland to finally work their way up to national politics.

I just want Bernie Sanders to run, personally

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

BRJurgis posted:

Call me a doomer, but does anybody see anything changing significantly for the better anytime soon?

Pretty obviously not.

"Doomer" is just another word like "conspiracy theorist", used to close down legitimate and essential avenues of thought and discussion by lumping in rational and legitimate analysis with disordered thinkers on the fringes. Probably fine to use it ironically but let's not cede so much rhetorical ground without reflecting on who benefits

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm not sure what information value one is supposed to derive from a HRC staffer saying "you know what? I've looked at the field, and only Hillary can save us now". But OK.

FWIW I think HRC is probably about as likely to be the nominee as Biden.

Starting to like the Chapo guys prediction of JB Pritzker tho

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lib and let die posted:

Hillary running again would be the only thing that would get me to re-register as a Democrat so I can vote for her in the primary and sit at home on general day.

Very powerful username:post ratio

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ogmius815 posted:

I mean if your theory is just that Mitch is lying and he won’t hold up his end of the bargain, that’s easily remedied. Chuck Schumer gives McConell a list of judges he wants to confirm before sine die adjournment. He indicates they will be confirmed in the order listed. “I call your attention to the last name on the list, your buddy you want to get a job for. We’ll get to who we get to.”

Does this play out in your mind with the West Wing theme swelling to a crescendo , while McConnell throws his hat on the ground and stamps on it in impotent Republican fury?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Meatball posted:

In this analogy, though, frog Joe Biden is only temporarily stunned by the poison, and always swims back to the shore. He's given McConnell several rides at this point.

In this analogy (and also in real life) Joe Biden Greenfrog has incipient dementia, retains no memories of previous betrayals, and spends his days in a reverie of when his Dad used to drive the Corvette down to the ice -cream parlour on a summers day

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

haveblue posted:

A more realistic possibility for a showdown is the court orders a president or governor to take some positive action and they just… don’t.

This is how it will go. I can see a California governor in the near future feeling themselves enough to tell a Republican SCOTUS to eat poo poo. Where it goes from there is pure Clancy

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Hell yeah, that's the good stuff

https://twitter.com/USA_Polling/status/1547294163800055810?t=F8NfK3C7o9fRgR_BOHaHog&s=19

Some credible candidates need to start announcing soon

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Ivana Trump is dead, has the Big Guy made a classic tweet Truth about it yet?

E: RIP to a lady who really loved pizza

https://twitter.com/JAHeale/status/1547670269656850434?t=STF7qryjV1lMl5gMhE9emw&s=19

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 14, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

skylined! posted:

Has anyone cracked the code as to why all these people are so predictably similar?

Because they're all dullard coward NPCs who just want to be part of the ingroup at all costs. The same reason half the teenagers in my city have the same haircut and jacket

Cimber posted:

I have to wonder how much of the current insanity within the GOP is directly related to 9/11, and how much of it would be going on today had 9/11 not happened.

America has always been a country of white devil slaver racist freaks, 9/11 meant they could just drop the mask they'd been halfheartedly wearing for a few years

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Mueller She Wrote is Welcome to NightVale for Sorkin fans. That 52k PPP "loan" which they don't have to pay back was spent on R&D for new techniques in liberal wish fulfilment. Listening to that garbage makes you actively less politically informed in the same way as watching Tucker

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gripweed posted:

That's why it's unlikely that Trump will be prosecuted. To quote Denis Leary, "It's one big club, and you ain't in it"

George Carlin

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Sometimes you have to do it for the 'gram

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Starting to think that Braveheart wasn't a historically accurate account of the life of William Wallace

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He had an Australian/Scottish hybrid accent in real life though, right?

And Sir William Wallace, son of Sir Malcolm Wallace, who was a vassal to the Lord of Scotland was a weird peasant man who lived in a hut and wore furs and leathers into battle, right?

Braveheart wouldn't lie to me that badly, right?

It's a testament to the movie that it still owns despite being completely ahistorical nonsense. And it brought Brendan Gleeson to international attention so its unambiguously a good thing

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

- 43% said they would definitely never vaccinate their child; which is almost double what it was 3 months ago.

Between this, and the astonishing rate of children getting annihilated by military weaponry, an objective observer would have to conclude that the median American doesn't give a poo poo about the safety of their children

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
One of the most painful possible ways to die :thumbsup:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

A big flaming stink posted:

Generally if the hypothetical you are describing sounds like the plot of an episode of The West Wing, it is likely that you are overrated its electoral significance

Anyway this could be added to the OP, or stickied at the top of every page?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just lol that people will continue to fall for this kayfabr

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OAquinas posted:

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1552687931609026560

Oh god this ad is terrible. The DCCC is setting a new nadir.

Lmao.

This is a crystallization of the Simpsons DNC thing - "We Hate Ourselves" "We Can't Govern"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Velocity Raptor posted:

I'm legit interested in what made Manchin turn around on the bill and have him come out and ask for more of the things that will actually help people.

It's literally just a 2-cup shell game. you never know whether the No vote is hidden under the Manchin cup or the Sinema cup.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lmao.

His lawyers must have had a big bowl of chili that day

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

To give you a taste of how much he indirectly took from the show:

He bought at least two $40,000 Rolexes and a $7,000 suit for a single show (lol, we all know it wasn't just for the one show) because "he needed to wear the uniform of the devil and mock him by wearing his uniform to show we are not afraid of him."

Lol.

That's a pretty good grift tbh. He didn't even need to do it so blatantly, that's clearly just funny to him and I kinda agree

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The important thing is that Senators have fun

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Not trying to personally criticise this brave woman, but "holding X accountable" continues to be the emptiest phrase in modern discourse. I guess the equivalent in British politics is people "taking full responsibility" for X, which requires absolutely no consequences or effort on their part

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

That makes me smart :smugdon:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Timeless Appeal posted:

Kasich, Cruz or whoever would have probably beaten Hillary Clinton and honestly probably Sanders in 2016.

Sanders has been the most popular politician in America for years now, this position is just laughable at this point

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Twincityhacker posted:

AW, YEAH. GO CANCER RESEARCHERS GO!

Thanks! :3:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Numlock posted:

I think the guy also posted video of said hogs in his yard.

That tweet is serious:tinfoil:

Yeah the Reply All podcast did an episode where they interviewed the tweet guy and he seemed like just a pleasant doofus, and not especially a gun nut. People here just jumping at shadows.

It's a good deep dive episode on the whole feral hogs phenomenon as well

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Main Paineframe posted:

For example, the reason the 14 words are racist isn't because there's 14 of them and 14 can translate to AH which is short for Adolf Hitler.

Can you walk me through how 14 would turn into AH?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Dude was a regular Anton Chigurh carrying a gas tank around