Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
There's no real incentive to pass a gas tax holiday through to the consumer, this would just increase profits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

Yes she has to smile and pretend to like the people taking away rights so they don't take away rights harder.

This is a common experience for a woman of color.

Are you saying you don't understand what she's doing or that you're just frustrated by it?

Truly, Supreme Court Justices are the oppressed class.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Velocity Raptor posted:

Afiak, you can only issue pardons for things that have already happened. You can't issue a pre-emptive pardon to protect someone from doing something in the future.

You're entirely wrong.

Edit: Apparently, I remembered wrong!

Criss-cross fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 24, 2022

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

DreamingofRoses posted:

Citation please

You're right, it only applies to crimes that have already been committed.

Criss-cross fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 24, 2022

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any rumors why he is leaving the G7 meeting early? Big disagreements?

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, seems plans have changed a second time and he didn't leave early.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

Pete Buttigieg of all people gave a very good answer when pressed on late-term abortion that went semi-viral during the general election.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKOoWYfIzIw
https://twitter.com/occamsrazor45/status/1315443201516371972

Being a supporter of abortion rights, that's neither a convincing argument nor a good video, with all the annoying clapping. Seems more like a rhetorical parlor trick.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I assume some staffers actually write these opinions, not the judges themselves.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Lemming posted:

It looks bad decorumly to charge a presidential candidate from a rival party

Obviously, in a sane world that wouldn't apply to actual criminals who have committed crimes, but it seems pretty apparent that Garland is pretty averse to charging him at all, let alone while he's actively campaigning

No jury would ever convict Trump, the idea that anyone would charge him with anything seems absurd.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Herstory Begins Now posted:

If you think US regulatory structures are weak I have bad news for you about, like, almost the entire rest of the world.

The US has very weak regulatory structures compared to many other developed countries.

Seems like most of the rest of the world has much stricter regulations. I get maybe one spam call a year in Europe.

Criss-cross fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 9, 2022

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

Gerrymandering only applies to state elections, the presidential election has a permanent and immutable gerrymander stemming from state borders. Voter suppression and the ISL bullshit is the real problem, especially if Congress changes hands

I don't think Trump wins the popular vote, that poll shows that the electorate is still willing to hold their nose for Biden because Trump is just that repellent. A post-Trump smart quiet fascist like DeSantis may be another story

The candidates gerrymandering favors also shape electoral law in the individual states, it very obviously has an effect.

But also, when the Supreme Court abolishes democracy next year, who knows what the next presidential elections will look like.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Gawker was a terrible rag, they very much deserved getting sued out of existence.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The Senate could pass the same amount of legislation in about 1/5th the time if the voting procedure were less archaic.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Blind Pineapple posted:

Also, they only work like half the year for 3x the median salary in the US (not that they even need it because most of them because most of them were millionaires before they were elected).

That's pretty disingenuous. They spend most of their time outside the Senate Chamber calling people for bribes, it's certainly a very demanding job because they have to suck up to the money constantly.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

A large part of it is (like most things in America) about inequality. In the mid 2010's (I have no idea if this has changed or if it is even possible to reasonably calculate at this moment in time given everything that happened to education worldwide during Covid), if you removed the bottom 10% of worst performing schools from the U.S. average on standardized test scores, then the U.S. jumps from the mid-teens globally to #1 globally.

Like most things in the U.S., education performance is incredibly unequal with a large chunk of people who it works out "fine" for, a chunk who do extremely well, and a chunk that are just completely left behind.

I remember the talking point being "if you just look at the top 10% of schools in the US compared to the general population everywhere else, we're competitive". Sure you don't you have it the wrong way around?

Criss-cross fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Sep 4, 2022

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

silence_kit posted:

I think that there is no right to free speech when using a social media website, but I also think that you all have lost the plot if you think that the idea of free speech is a hateful right-wing concept.

On SA there is a mistrust of corporations in general--the belief goes that they are not really accountable to the general public and so for that reason they cannot be trusted with holding a lot of influence over society. Why do we throw this idea out of the window when it comes to this particular subject?

Like could you imagine people in the 1960's counterculture movement defending billion-dollar corporations' ability to censor and control speech on their media platforms? I feel this stance on this issue is totally backwards and uncharacteristic of non-authoritarian left-wing ideology.

SA, with its abritraty moderation, doesn't exactly seem like a bastion of free speech, though. Do you think there should be no moderation of SA beyond legal requirements?

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Anti-authoritarians, well-known for wanting the authorities to force them to give people they dislike a platform.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
You might be surprised to learn that the rest of the world doesn't automatically understand weird C-SPAM shibboleths. You might want to actually elucidate what you're talking about.

And by "Ukraine situation", do you mean the war of aggression Russia, a fascist nation with an imperial drive, is waging against Ukraine?

Criss-cross fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 18, 2022

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Totalitarian dictatorship: I have a hard time calling it fascist, akshually. It's just like the US! Also, both sides, really.

Criss-cross fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

yeah, I'd rather not have the government poking around in my medicine cabinet. The supplement industry isn't perfect but it's better than the alternative as you've proposed it. I don't really wanna have to apply for a license to buy and store whey protein.

Regulating the selling of dietary supplements doesn't mean you would need to "apply for a license to buy and store whey protein" at all, what a weird strawman. Supplements are regulated in the EU in what health claims they can make (they require a scientific basis), there's more than enough international precedence for useful regulation.