Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!
If my time as a grad instructor and professor in my own right are any indication, a depressing number of schools are if anything cutting back gen eds due to largely top-down pressure from admin shitheads to up graduation rates and/or turn universities into tech schools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

My high school has a very well developed vocational track that was funded/treated just about on par with the AP/Honors track, both due to enlightened leadership and also pragmatism; I'm from the most rural, poorest part of a very rural and poor state, after all. They also partnered with the state technical college for those on that track so graduates would be able to move on to higher-level certification of trade skills after high school, which served many of them quite well. It's a model I think would do wonders if expanded and give a much better post-high school path for many who know they aren't suited for traditional university for whatever reason but similarly know that they want/need higher technical education before entering the workforce.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

OK this is a very bizarre excerpt from that article

This is clearly one of those circumstances where someone who's killable but otherwise doesn't age has to disappear every few decades and then reappear as their own offspring or nephew or whatever to throw off suspicion.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

-Blackadder- posted:

The dopamine crash this country is going to experience when Trump finally goes away and his weird amalgam of Breaking Bad and The Real Housewives of New Jersey that everyone is binge watching finally ends, is going to make 2008 look like a walk in the park.

There's a classic political cartoon from the 70s that parallels this exactly (and which it's killing me not to be able to find in the wild, as I only have it on another device not currently to hand); this woman describes how dull and grey life has become, how she can't feel things like she used to and can barely summon the motivation to get out of bed, concluding in the final panel, "I need Nixon."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Rappaport posted:

This kind of teasing is just cruel :smith:

I'm about 90% sure it was one of Jules Feiffer's cartoons from his time at The Village Voice, but I just can't hunt down the one I'm thinking of. Sorry. :smith:

Edit: ^^^^^hah, yep probably.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

some plague rats posted:

The real benefit of the special master thing is that it's impossible to talk about without sounding absolutely ridiculous

Delegitimizing proceedings by making them seem ridiculous is also one of Trump's regular tactics to avoid getting what he has coming, or at least a predictable side-effects of his loud and cretinous behavior.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

some plague rats posted:

Trump didn't name the position though, did he? It absolutely sounds like something he would have come up with but I'm pretty sure this one isn't his fault

Oh I know, I was just pointing out whether or not he's using this aspect to make the whole thing seem more ridiculous or not, it's a regular tactic of his: turn the whole thing into a clownshow, so everyone just goes "this is a goddamn circus!" and tunes out.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

-Blackadder- posted:

The dopamine crash this country is going to experience when Trump finally goes away, and his weird amalgam of Breaking Bad and The Real Housewives of New Jersey that everyone is binge watching finally ends, is going to make 2008 look like a walk in the park.

So! Several pages ago I mentioned a 70s Nixon cartoon about this very premise, and several posters and I went back and forth about who probably drew up; well now I'm home and I dug it out of my pictures archive and yep, it was Feiffer!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

LorneReams posted:

Watching huge truckloads of snow getting incinerated by giant flamethrowers in Boston is a trip.

My wife, who was then my girlfriend, was living in the Financial District that winter. I visited a couple of times and walking the sidewalks was like being in western front.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

evilweasel posted:

you're british, right? you have something called "the house of lords", because it was the assembly of lords in the olden-timey "lords" sense, and made equal or greater in power to the "house of commons" that has been systematically turned into a petting zoo of inbred fox hunters

lords, needless to say, had a lot to gain from a system where lords got "the house of lords" as a lawmaking body equal to the "house of commons" and little to gain by giving that power up yet here we are

I'm not sure that's a good analogy, as a crucial part of how the Lords got neutered was Asquith and Lloyd-George leaning on the King to threaten a mass-creation of hundreds of new Liberal peers if they didn't accept the Parliament Act of 1911.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 11, 2022

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Twincityhacker posted:

Back to the yeshivas for a second - while I agree that the vasy majority of what is going on there is Bad, I am confused why "conducting classes in Yiddish and Hebrew" is lumped in there with "having no math classes" and "corpral punishment".

Mostly because minority language immersion schools are a relitively uncontested thing.

Because for these communities, they children often don't speak much English (if any) in the first place. By teaching them in languages only really used within the community, and intentionally not teaching them the one used in the country at large, it's another layer of control to keep subsequent generations locked in and unable to escape into the secular world.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 14, 2022

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Oracle posted:

Republicans will always vote with capital. Always.

I get the feeling this is one of those things that isn't as true as it used to be. A lot of the new fascists aren't clued-in grifters like the old guard who knew that all the reactionary politicking is done in the service of money; the new ones, by contrast, increasingly truly believe every one of the fourteen words they say, and I don't think someone whispering in their ears "but you might not get as much campaign money from General Dynamics" or whatever would sway them from voting their evil little hearts.

And yes, I get that that's not as directly relevant in this particular case,* but as an overarching principle I'm just not sure Republicans always vote with capital, anymore.

*except/unless one of those glassy-eyed psychopaths suddenly decide that because this is a labor matter it's therefore another manifestation of Judeo-Bolshevism or whatever.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jaxyon posted:

Do you have some examples of this in action, or is this kind of a hope?

James Garfield just mentioned a good one. I was also thinking of how DeSantis' war on Disney for being slightly-less-horrible to LGBT+ people, and Abbott's anti-immigrant actions that have significantly impacted Texas' agricultural sector.

Going outside of US, I'd also rope in how British conservatives ignored all kinds of warnings from Capital that Brexit was a stupendously dumb idea that would tank the economy, because it would keep the dirty foreigners out.

It seems to me that the script has flipped for newer members of the GOP. Where the priorities used to be 1) Hold onto power -> 2) Get paid -> 3) Hurt people, it's now more likely to be 1)Hurt people -> 2)Hold onto Power -> 3) Get paid.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 15, 2022

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jaxyon posted:

So you're saying that sometimes they vote for bigotry over capital.

Yes, I thought that was fairly clear from my first post, which was replying to another poster asserting that Republicans always fall in line with capital. Moreover, and this is more subjective, but given the decades now I've been watching this crap it seems to me that the "hurt people over everything else" wing is growing, at the expense of "get paid over everything else" wing.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Tayter Swift posted:

loving lol

Like when I needed TS/SCI I lucked out and got it in like three weeks, but that was back in 1997 and even then I was an incredibly boring person who never even smoked weed. For other ppl in my class it took well over a year.

Good loving game.

In the early 2000s I worked for a while at the SEC and needed a very low level clearance to do my job. I had everything needed filed by the end of day one on the job, but never actually found out if I'd gotten it by the time I left.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I'll not sure they want the schools to be excellent, either. It seems like an uneducated populous has been an unstated goal for decades.

Book learning lets the devil in.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

haveblue posted:

It’s all a play for time. If the House changes hands in early 2023 that’s a major disruption to the case. If the White House changes hands in 2025, the case evaporates. They don’t actually need to prove he’s innocent, just prevent him from being convicted until one of those things happens, and the best way to do that is ask dumb questions, give dumb answers, and sow confusion and roadblocks

Additionally, if they claim he declassified documents they'd likely have to produce something beyond just a bald assertion that declassification actually took place, which is tricky since, you know, it's all a load of bullshit Trump thought up retroactively.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Bugsy posted:

They thought he would be skeptical of the FBI because he was on the FISA court? Very little law knowledge but seems like his lawyers are morons.

It's been said before, but it bears repeating that his decades-long practice of stiffing his attorneys and dodging huge legal bills for months and years means he really isn't getting the top-flight legal advice someone of his wealth/prominence should at least theoretically get.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

This is a talking point that gets bandied about but I haven’t been able to find any thing that substantiates it. Do you have any evidence of this claim?

Sure; last month the Washington Post published this entitled, Trump is rushing to hire seasoned lawyers — but he keeps hearing ‘No’.

I think he was able to finally get at least one decent lawyer, but had to pay a huge retainer up front because, again, nobody trusts him to pay his eventual bills.

Above and beyond the money factor, there's also the fact that he doesn't listen to anything he doesn't like, nor follow the cardinal rule all good lawyers drum into people in legal trouble: "sit down and shut the gently caress up."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

D’oh! Dunno how I missed this. It was always plausible but sometimes truth and fiction get blended together with these Trump legends. Much obliged

No prob. With our big wet boy it's always hard to tell the crazy-sounding but real stories from the plausible but unfortunately false ones like the Gorilla Channel.

Psikotik posted:

I hope someone does.

:rimshot:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jaxyon posted:

Have the financial consequences been larger than "what he can earn back in a few days"?

Not from the first trial, as Texas has a very low cap on punitive damages (I wanna say they top out at $750k),* and his lawyers for all their pants-on-head incompetence did manage to persuade the jury to level much heavier punitive than compensatory damages (which are not capped). The plaintiff's are trying to get around that but the odds aren't amazing.

No idea about the sanctions consequences as those are being held until after both trials are complete I believe, nor what limits if any Connecticut has on damages.

EDIT: /\ /\ /\ Oh yeah, and this. He's done all he can to dump assets in places he hopes can't be touched.

*A component of this delightful law was that the plaintiff's attorneys were bound from informing the jury of just how low the punitive damages cap is.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jaxyon posted:

He almost certainly knows what's in them. You don't get these documents without knowing exactly what is in them.

Counterpoint: Trump never pays attention to anything that's not directly about himself, gets bored when required to read more than a one-page list of bullet points, and only listens to what he wants to hear. He likely knows the broad outline of the docs, but I'd be shocked if his understanding extended much beyond "important/secret stuff including The Nuclear that I wanna keep."