Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

lol that Manchin required that they change the name to "The Inflation Reduction Act of 2022."

Something something Democrats in US Senate voice support for the IRA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Cpt_Obvious posted:

General question to the thread:

Why do you believe that Sinema does the things she does? What is her motivation?

She's an rear end in a top hat, OP. She's an rear end in a top hat.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The alex jones trail is going about as well as would be expected

uh oh

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1554221430060904449?s=20&t=U2GF_hKkPu78i-ZiR-tJFw

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

In the sweet spot of “so wealthy 4 million is a drop in the bucket” & “have to hire Lionel hutz for my defense”

He's doing a victory lap on his show.

https://twitter.com/kolyin/status/1555328414483103745?s=21&t=DC0e89EkwuYF_Z1hRowdkg

He may well profit from this specific trial.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

Since people were asking a couple days ago, Jalopnik has made a list of every new car currently that gets the full EV credit.

https://jalopnik.com/every-ev-that-qualifies-for-the-inflation-reduction-act-1849391274

The Leaf is on its way out for what it's worth.

Does this mean EVs which qualify today will have that status stripped once the bill is signed? Thinking of say Hyundai's Ionic 5/6, and Nexo, as well as Polestar 1/2.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

They have a transition period to move manufacturing to the US

I see, thank you.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm a little surprised A4 didn't lean into convenient numbers and go 200mm x 300mm, but 297/210 is about the square root of 2 so I guess they considered that more important.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

The following amicus request was apparently also filed:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flsd.618763/gov.uscourts.flsd.618763.41.1_1.pdf

Reviewing the DOJ filing, nothing too surprising (though some of the language is more informal than I'd expect for DOJ).

They seem to be a little sick of his poo poo.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1564817161528692737?s=20&t=7Q51VdVdEAhx84qLrG0R0w

(I don't see this photo in either posted PDF fwiw)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Epic High Five posted:

I also wonder if our grid can handle most of the energy currently provided by hydrocarbons shifting instead to electricity.

I think it'll be fine, given that EVs generally trickle-charge at night when the baseload electricity demand is low. Obviously here in California the grid is having, uh, issues with peak load this week, but even with extremely high minimum temperatures this week the load at 4AM is on par with what we see in February.

Big challenge is getting the hell away from natural gas, but that's of course a global problem.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I hear ya. I live an apartment and the sun will swallow the earth before they put chargers in here, so I drive a fuel cell vehicle :shrug:

That poo poo's gonna have to be mandated out, which means it's only going to happen on the coast if we're lucky, and like Colorado. Sucks.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

It’s not like you can get gas in most parking spaces either. We just have to make it possible to recover significant range in just a few minutes at the nearest electricity station

Bring back drive-in movies and carhops, with chargers at every spot.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Does anyone know what the causes of the staffing shortage are and if it's feasible to scale up hires in a timely basis given the skilled labor pool?

Infinite, because no one wants to be a scab.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
loving lol

Like when I needed TS/SCI I lucked out and got it in like three weeks, but that was back in 1997 and even then I was an incredibly boring person who never even smoked weed. For other ppl in my class it took well over a year.

Good loving game.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'd love to know (a) Who typed that up, (b) who translated it, (c) who approved that horrendous kerning on the left fold, and (d) why the hell anyone would think the listed benefits for asylum seekers are a bad thing.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

This is the dumbest poo poo because it's such an easy messaging victory for Biden. If I was in charge of his appearance schedule, I'd say he should meet them on the tarmac when they land for a photo op. It won't happen but it would be such an easy win.

It does seem like something that would make more sense ahead of the primary than the general. The redhats have been talking about doing this for over a decade of course, but I don't think we're yet at the point where it sits right with the general electorate, at least while such a thing still exists.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

IPlayVideoGames posted:

It must be really stressful to be president when a random errant thought can declassify all of the nation’s secrets. What if everything was already declassified because at some point some president thought about it for for a split second but just never told anyone?

Digging up Grover Cleveland to see if his corpse may have declassified anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I will never understand why Gaetz thinks that's the most flattering photo of him.