Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

A big flaming stink posted:

some lighter news, eve simmons is reporting the facts that Big Weed doesnt want you to know!

https://twitter.com/EveSimmns/status/1543262601517289473

https://twitter.com/EveSimmns/status/1543263481679360000

seriously "sunny (smelly)" is loving sending me lmao

This is so weird to me. I don’t know if they are just counting the number of hospital admissions/ED visits for any reason where the patient was positive for THC? Because I’m an acute care doc at a big PNW hospital and I have never once seen a case of psychosis, actual poisoning (not just intoxication), whatever the heck “scromiting” is, or any other illness actually directly attributed to MJ use. The only one is cyclic vomiting, which pinning on MJ use is half a diagnosis of exclusion, and is quite rare.

I just honestly don’t buy that this is factually accurate and not hyperbole. But that’s just my anecdotal experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I remember during my grad school years in hypothalamus research the cannabinoid blocker rimonabant was being used as an appetite suppressant. It worked incredibly well and trial participants lost a significant amount of weight. But the trial had to be cut short because there were stunningly high levels of severe depression and suicidality. Blocking the weed receptors in the brain is no good.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

This was actually a thing that InfoWars did, showed a before and after photo of Jones after completing like a six week course of his own weight loss pills and literally the only noticeable different between the two pictures was that Jones' skin had gotten considerably, concernedly redder.

Weirdest thing about this before/after pic is the after pic there appears to be a dark handprint on his abdomen?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

So what’s in the bill?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- A 1% Excise tax on all stock buybacks.

- A little less than $400 billion in direct climate change/energy spending (consumer rebates for electric vehicle purchases, funding for research and development, tax credits, etc.)

- Authorization for $250 billion in subsidized loans for green energy projects.

- Money to revamp IRS enforcement.

- Allows oil and gas leases on some federal land and in the Gulf of Mexico.

- Caps out of pocket spending for Medicare beneficiaries to $2,000 per year.

- Allows Medicare to negotiate prescription drug prices (starts with only 10 drugs and expands to cover more over the next 7 years).

- 15% corporate minimum tax (only applies to American companies with at least $1 billion in revenue).

- Expanding the new income limits, boosted subsidies, and $0 premium/$0 deductible ACA plans for another 3 years.

- Caps Insulin costs at $35 for Medicare beneficiaries only (the provision for private insurance was challenged by Republicans and the parliamentarian sided with them that a provision regulating out of pocket costs for private insurance was not related to the federal budget and didn't qualify for reconciliation).

- Requires pharmaceutical companies to issue rebates to Medicare enrollees if they raise the price of their drugs more than inflation.

- A requirement for the IRS to develop a plan to make a free universal direct online tax filing system with the IRS and present it to Congress by June 2023 (Note: This does not implement the plan. Congress will still have to vote on it in 2023).

According to analysts the Inflation Reduction Act:

- Will have little to no impact on inflation in the short-term and only a minor reduction in inflation in 2 years.
- Would have gotten the U.S. 72% of the way to meeting the Paris Accord Targets by 2030, but because of the additional oil and gas provisions, it will end up getting us 69.7% of the way instead.
- Will keep the premiums for most people with ACA plans under $10 per month until 2025.
- Will increase IRS collection by about $124 billion.
- Will increase corporate tax receipts by about $313 billion.
- Will reduce the deficit by about $104 billion.

Thanks for writing all this out in such an easy to understand way. Really helps. On paper it sounds amazing. I do hope the green energy parts mean in a few years we will see a national EV charging network as good or better than Tesla’s. There’s a gas station on every corner and every few dozen miles on rural roads and other highways. EV stations need to be just as ubiquitous. It would change America.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Andrew Yang's Forward thing is the first time I've ever seen someone unironically identify as a Repandercrat.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I only heard it said by someone calling in to a talk show over a decade ago. I think it is republican pandering and democrat all mushed together to be a single voting class.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Biden's behavior in the past ~3 months really speaks of one major thing now. He and his administration have come to understand that the MAGA train has effectively destroyed the republican party's ability to effectively fight back against any of his plans with legislation or voting power. The GOP ended up tying itself to what's become a more and more extremist radical agenda that turned out to not float with most mainstream republican voters. In a way, they've isolated themselves, in a really really bad way. The recent voting behavior shows that all that terrible extremist poo poo is causing republicans to lose votes, lose funding, and will probably cause them to lose seats come midterms. As well, and maybe most importantly, Biden has found it completely obvious that the MAGA train is smaller in size than it seems, may be super vocal on social media, but in the end is really all bark no bite. They're powerless and incapable of raising a finger to actually fight back or affect legislation. So Biden is just getting anything and everything passed right now. Loan forgiveness, DACA, maybe codifying Roe, maybe even weed legalization. He's also calling a spade a spade over and over, and just vivisected the MAGA crowd and any associated GOP politicians during his speech yesterday. The white house twitter account going to war in a hilarious way is rad in its own right. It's all just them knowing they can dunk hard because the republicans have totally hosed up. Even if, right now, the GOP completely denounced trump and MAGA, such a schism would cause such loud blowback from the extremist 30% and such loss of voting excitement in their mainstream blocs that it would hurt them even more. The mainstream republican congress (ie the non "performance artists" like MTG and such) have had their organs ripped out by the effects of the MAGA train and I don't think its even close to rock bottom for them yet.

Biden is firing on all thrusters and walking all over them right now unopposed and it really owns.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Heard it on a podcast or something, “Donald Trump will always be remembered as being brought down by a librarian.”

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Trump was planning on making an announcement (likely in the affirmative) about whether he is running for President in 2024 next weekend. But, he has delayed it indefinitely; possibly until next year over concerns that several of his endorsed candidates may end up losing and Republicans' midterm forecasts being downgraded from "historic blowout" to just "good" would be blamed on him announcing before the midterms.

He also does not want to make any announcement soon because it would prevent his political organization from raising unlimited funds and paying his legal costs.

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1565013053208465410

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/31/poli...m_medium=social

Weird to be agreeing with Ann Coulter here, but that podcast episode of hers that was posted yesterday.. in it she says that Trump’s endorsements come in two flavors. One, the majority, is when he waits until the very last moment of a winning GOP candidate’s running and then hops in front and “acts like he’s leading the parade.” He does this often because it’s a sure bet that he won’t look bad. The other endorsement is when he actually tries to endorse someone’s race early on (like an actual endorsement should be) and so far every single time he’s done that it destroys the candidate’s chances of winning and they lose horribly.

Beyond the Fox News performance artists, Trump is poison to the GOP. They just won’t say it out loud yet. But they know it. I also do not think most of the lifetime political GOP house/senate members are liking the quality and character of absolute nut job insane people that are winning their primaries using the MAGA podium right now. They absolutely do not want to work with those people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I guarantee 100:1 odds that while trump says he declassified all these documents that he absolutely, without a doubt, doesn’t actually know what’s in a single one of them. His lawyer has been arguing over and over that he, “can’t come to trump’s defense unless he sees the documents first.”

Lawyer, “what’s in the documents that’s so important?”

Trump, “I have no idea. I don’t read documents. But they’re declassified.”

Trump is not a source of reliable information for his own defense. It’s hilarious how bad a position he’s put himself in over these drat things.