Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Oh man gonna get so god drat many fund raising texts out of this. Actual legislation? Nah go gently caress yourself you peons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

honestly the best thing you can do for yourself if you live in a red state is loving leave.

For now. What happens when Florida passes a law saying their bounty hunters can go after abortions in other states? How do you think that SCOTUS ruling will go?

Buckle the gently caress up, poo poo is going to get bad.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Calibanibal posted:

Truly horrible news. Hopefully this is the kick in the butt voters and the Democrat Party need for the upcoming midterms. We need to get our poo poo together.

For what? To impotently rage against the next SCOTUS ruling and watch Democrats do nothing about that one too?

The game is rigged, we've already lost. Start working locally. Look out for you and yours, if possible build networks to weather the poo poo that's coming. If you're not targeted by this one, help the people that are so they can be there for your turn in the barrel. That's a much better use of your time and ability than trying to win a rigged game. We've got decades of this to go and nothing is going to change that short of [redacted], so start putting your efforts where it can do something.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Orthanc6 posted:

I mean you might be right but the forum is literally labelled "Debate and Discussion" and I imagine for a bunch of people here the idea is to discuss things to find solutions. Cause the alternatives are sticking our heads in the sand, or violence, neither of which are good. Defeatism and doomerism will constantly rear their heads because yeah, things suck and not everyone is in the mental state to resist despair. But those of us that can need to keep talking.

Sure, sticking your head in the sand and ignoring reality won't help. On the flip side there's a strong tendency to label being realistic as doomerism. I'm guessing it stems from a desire to ignore some ugly truths. That is not a positive solution either. Gotta acknowledge reality to be able to work on improving it, otherwise all the work is useless.

This sucks.

It's not going to stop sucking.

For decades.

Maaaaaybe generations after us will see things get better. We, will not.

If someone wants to fight to make that better reality happen then a clear eyed understanding of where that fighting needs to take place is absolutely crucial. I am of the opinion that it is not in the political arena. That game is rigged, the only possible outcomes are the ones that the people making the rules of that game want. So step outside of politics and go help someone. It's a much better use of time and effort, and hopefully when the poo poo winds blow in your direction they'll be there for you.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Twincityhacker posted:

We do need to come up with something else but the only other plan for the federal level I've seen in this thread is "don't vote" which does less for us than a tied senate.

The answer is in not spending your time and effort fighting pointless battles in a system rigged to only ever produce the outcomes the rulemakers want. You aren't going to get the outcome you want no matter which team has the ball, so stop going to the stadium.

Look local, help someone out, be there for them so they can be there for you.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

DarkCrawler posted:

The only actually potentially succesful party/electoral strategy left for the Left is to do what the Tea Party did for the GOP, and radicalize enough of the Democratic base. There is nothing unique about democratic voters that prevents them from doing this. It does require more unified messaging to have the same effect as talk radio/FOX/Facebook, and founding of some sort of communal events/institutions/infrastructure to have the same effect as churches/other local gathering places.

Also it requires playing on fear and hatred of an enemy, in this case conservative Americans, which by this point should be given but...did anyone on the left mention the tens millions of worthless wastes of human existence who vote for GOP or are we still pretending that the people who just overturned Roe vs. Wade manifested there out of the aether?

Well when the Left gets a few sugar daddy billionaires willing to build that infrastructure for them over decades and also run a globe-spanning propaganda machine to blare the Left's message in to every brain whether they want to hear it or not maybe that can happen the same way. I'm not particularly expecting the people on the winning side of class warfare to do that though.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Timeless Appeal posted:

If we're going to survive what is to come--both literally survive and survive as a democratic society--we're going to have to combat the atomization of our society.

What's the quarterly ROI on that? I don't think the numbers work out. You can maybe workshop it a bit but I just don't see it hitting the shareholder metrics.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well it is kinda funny, and him getting laughed at for whipping a Big Mac at the wall is closer to consequences for his actions than anything else that's going to come out of January 6th.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mendrian posted:

The next good president needs to be prepared to do something legally questionable and bad for their career to protect the rights of the people in this country because we are rapidly reaching the point where good political leaders need to be revolutionaries.
Love the optimism, but don't necessarily share it. Personal opinion is that we've had the last thing we will have for a very long time that resembled what the US has historically called a presidential election.

The GOP is going ape poo poo on every position at all levels of government that said no to the half baked coup. "Legally" removing their power, stuffing them to the gills with hard core ideologues, death threats to the people that remain. They learned the lessons from their dry run, know what to work on, and haven't stopped for years.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Main Paineframe posted:

Archive.is tends to be pretty good at bypassing paywalls.

I don't know that I really have much to say about a nomination that hasn't happened yet for a seat that apparently isn't empty. The idea of cutting deals with Mitch isn't an encouraging one, but I also don't see why Mitch would bother to offer a deal unless he saw his position weakening somehow.

It's McConnel. I would not at all be surprised if he made this "deal" with 100% full intention of not honoring a single part of it. He would absolutely lie to get another judge installed. There's nothing for him to lose that he gives the slightest hint of a sideways flying gently caress about and it gets him another judge.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

This sounds like a complex and fascinatingly detailed area of the law.

Exactly the kind of place where authoritarians and fascists like to say "lol gently caress you no"

So, like, then what?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I don't know where that Twitter thread is pulling the ideas of open street warfare from, that's not the track the US is on. Stochastic terrorism and eternal mass shootings is how our violence seems to be playing out.

The scenario where elections are stolen in advance by laws that the courts declare all good and legal? Yeah that's exactly what is being worked on right now and that's what the GOP wants. Leave the fig leaf of a "democratic" process behind so they can claim they won in "fair" elections and lock themselves in to power.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Yeah absolutely. It's just...really obvious. It's not a hollow point, so either this cop was smart enough to not just pop a round out of the mag of their duty pistol and actually put some effort into it, or they roll with wadcutters on the reg. I'm not sure which would be sadder.

Meanwhile, in Florida:
https://www.salon.com/2021/06/23/desantis-signs-bill-requiring-florida-students-professors-to-register-political-views-with-state/

Imagine being terrified that a gun registry will be used by the government to round on dissidents, but not being worried about this.

Serious question: is this being cribbed from some pre-written agenda from a think tank or whatever, or is Desantis free-styling? A lot of the stuff I've been seeing coming out of Florida isn't just standard Republican cliches. I get raises my eyebrows when these ghouls exhibit creativity.

Is that really "Free-styling"? Forcing undesireables to register themselves has a pretty well known historical basis. I wouldn't call it an agenda, more of a playbook for fascists and authoritarians.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

the only real check is that it probably has to be decided before the election happens, and it'd be unpopular to say "lol gently caress you we pick" before the election happens

Unpopular with who, the people still screaming that 2020 was stolen from Trump? They'll host celebrations when their leadership writes laws about "election security". That's how they'll know Italy didn't use satellites to hack the Dominion machines or what the gently caress ever.

Every one else will be placated with the same bullshit Republicans have been doing for decades. Everyone pointing out how the laws can be abused will just be labeled fearmongers or soyboy cuck liberal commie traitors or whatever lies are convenient depending on timing and audience. It will all be 'emergency measures' that nobody would use that way and 'taken out of context' and so on.

Then when those laws get used to declare the winner it's 50/50 in my mind whether it's just allowed to happen because "well that's what the book says it's totally legit" or whether there's a challenge that ends up before the Supreme Court and welp wouldn't ya know it that's just how the cookie crumbles you sore losers the people in robes said you lost. Now is the time to come together under our winner for the good of the nation to allow healing to begin.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nessus posted:

You don't have to do the legwork for them, you know

It's not being done for them, they've been doing it for years now on their own.

Also lest anyone think that the judgement of people like local election officials or attorneys general or boards of election and whatever, it all varies by state, might save us again there is a very specifically concerted effort targeting exactly those people to ensure the mistakes of the past are not repeated.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Is a possible explanation for it "real, actual people have been hammered by real, actual reality and all the numbers fuckery is fake anyway?" That's my gut reaction but I'm frequently wrong about that stuff.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Gripweed posted:

How do you think protests happen in general?

In modern contexts? People get angry, march around for a few days, get completely ignored by any significant institutions, then have to go back to work so they don't get evicted and nothing changes.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Bar Ran Dun posted:

My dude go watch the hearing that happened today.

Your assertion here is about to be tested. Cause they have everything basically, they (he) organized the sedition and it’s all documented.

You specifically will get to know if you’re right, in the soonish timeframe I’d think.

He's rich, white, and a former president. The worst thing that will ever happen during his lifetime already happened when he lost the election and his ego got hurt. There will be no other punishments.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm no defender of Joe Biden but if this inflation and all these rising prices are happening everywhere - in practically every country - how come all I hear is that all of this is somehow Biden's fault? If it were only happening in the US then yeah but this is pretty much global.

Because blue team bad red team good, Fox tells me so on the teevee every night. As was posted above there does exist nuanced discussions that can be had but right wing propaganda is amazingly good at crushing that and rallying people 'round their color of flag.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Gerund posted:

The only way the SCOTUS blows a hole in this is if they argue that the structure of "do this or we withold funding" that holds together the entire federal system is unconstitutional.

That's maybe not as much of a threat to them as it may sound. They're pretty specifically gunning to destroy "the administrative state" as a decades long goal.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
There's not just the threat of bullshit legal actions they're targeting the doctor with. There is a very, very long and active history of these doctors getting murdered. They know it, the doctors know it, and it is absolutely intentional.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
How many times does it have to be shown that what voters want means precisely zero point dick, while the wealthy class gets legislation they want basically at their whim, before the arguments that we need to keep working on voters finally dies the ignominious death it deserves?

Start working on things that actually can improve the world and will help with the poo poo storm that's coming. Electoralism hasn't been that for decades.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

The difference now is that your vote is significantly diluted. A voter in Wyoming has 64x more power than a voter in California.

And both votes are meaningless for legislation compared to donor dollars and lobbyist activities.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Surely this will stop Republicans screeching from the mountain tops about witch hunts, political bias in the DoJ (but only the bad kind, the kind that targets them) and how BIDEN is personally ordering indictments and assassinations of political opposition to cover up the TRUTH about Hunter's laptop.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Expecting this court to stick to precedent if that gets in the way of ideological outcome-based rulings is a bit of a stretch I wouldn't be comfortable making just now. They have their goals, they'll vomit up whatever word-chaff is necessary to reach those goals. Study that reality diligently if you like, they'll just make another reality as soon as is convenient.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If they wanted to even some bullshit inside-the-beltway thing like not inviting Manchin to some fancy dinner and catching a news cycle of "Dems BLAST Manchin and BURN him on Twitter what a horrible fate!" could be used to shore up the support of people pissed off at nothing happening. Manchin himself would probably get in on it and love it for the campaigning boost he could milk out of it back home by being the Most Hated Democrat vote for me as senator y'all I'll fight them for you like I have been!

Yet.....nothing. Not a single thing. The 'punishment' has been all rewards.

Kinda seems like he may not actually be fighting against what the rest of the party wants.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What's there to watch? Documentation that he's guilty as all gently caress and actually, for reals did the thing?

Yeah no poo poo.

Everyone saw it. It happened live on national television. He spent months publicly making it happen. He's still encouraging it right now. Loudly and proudly. The only people arguing the point are full-of-poo poo fascist propaganda mouth pieces that don't even believe their own lies while proving the Sartre quote about antisemites true every single day. Everything else is culture war bullshit that is just used to identify and attack the "other".

Until there's consequences for the ring leaders it's useless kabuki theater stepping stones on the path to decline as a nation.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Gonna be a real blast when Republicans take back the house and send out articles of impeachment every three or four months. Really looking forward to the hooting baboons cheering on their representatives in 'owning the libs'.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
"We don't agree with the radical right's desire to put everyone of the wrong color in gas chambers for the purity of the master race, but we don't agree with the radical left screaming about it being an absolutely monstrous idea either."

loving tools.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Levitate posted:

We get these candidates because people vote for them. Most of the dem voters are still just more conservative than the lefter leaning posters here and are more willing to follow what the anointed Dem candidate is by the DNC

I don't think the effects of propaganda and having progressive candidates being regularly poo poo on by the monied interests wanting to protect that money can be discounted. Solutions that work, right now, in every other industrialized nation in the world are labeled oogie-boogie scary RADICAL far leftist ideas in this country by the various apparatuses that hate the idea of losing their profits. Anybody trying to campaign on them has to fight that money every step of the way for their very basic political existence, and will eventually get tired before the money does.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
My main source for "gently caress Alex Jones" happenings is Knowledge Fight. Seems people are getting info from somewhere else. Anyone got some links? Because gently caress Alex Jones I want to see the dumb shithead squirm if he's actually going to take the stand.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The Alex Jones phone texts thing gets fractally dumber the more you look in to it.

It was accidentally sent to the plaintiff's lawyers. They received it and said "holy loving shitballs this is a god drat thing. Are you sure you wanted to send this to us? Like, this may be straight law breaking entirely on its own. Are you really, really, super, mega sure you wanted to send this to us? It should probably be reviewed and likely is not admissible in trial. Are you really, really god drat sure?"

There was no response to their official enquiries on the topic and it got admitted to evidence.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Fart Amplifier posted:

Where did the defense suggest it was law breaking or not admissible?

That's the problem. The defense didn't do any of that. The plaintiff received the evidence, poo poo about a ton of bricks and asked them if they wanted to review any of it for privilege cause "loving yikes" and didn't get a response.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Current rampant speculation about the Jones trial, when I left for a cross-state drive, was what exactly the context was when the plaintiff's attorney said something to the effect of, "Yeah, full medical records too" on a hot-mic on the way out of the court. Could be nothing, could be bad, could be really bad, nobody knows!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mulva posted:

He has other legal issues coming up, including a functionally identical case in Connecticut which is far less friendly on the payout front. He's hosed up. The actual judgement in this aren't going to hit him hard, but the result of his phone information getting out is going to destroy him. And it got the feds interested in him.

He lost, he just didn't lose big number right now.

Are those other proceedings going to conclude within this decade? That's been his strategy since day one; gently caress around on everything, in every way imaginable and quite a few ways not, and then find out by paying less than a month's income. So far, it's looking like a pretty good strategy.

I'm open to the idea that he's royally boned, but the time table loving blows, the level of poo poo headedness it took to get this minor of an outcome on this one and the gob smacking incompetence/dumb fuckery it took to set up any potential future outcomes is doing the opposite of inspiring confidence in our judicial system. Many, many, many other equally lovely or worse people are also rich enough to purchase the outcome they want.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

It's amazing how he has the ability to be that irritating and stupid sounding in the text medium.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Can't wait for the right wing media spin on this one. While predictable, it's at least interesting in a forensic manner watching how BUT HER EMAILS is a national security threat thus lock her up, while Trump is, I guess selling state secrets or some poo poo and actually that's a good thing.

Will they break out old reliable and go for Soros or swing for the fences and say "deep state, thus we need to go on the attack"?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
A lot of what is being said is premised on the already thin concept of representational democracy in America not finally being taken out to the wood shed and Old Yeller'd. If you have that level of faith in the Republican party going forward from today, well, bless you for it but I don't share it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Sodomy Hussein posted:

You should definitely be alarmed that it took less than a business week for this to go from Kevin McCarthy's mouth to action by the cult.

Welcome to the future baby! There ain't no brakes on this train, we're only gonna go faster from here on out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Can we just give them Bolton anyway? As a show of good faith, ya know?