Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

I know nothing matters, but isn't this literal quid-pro-quo bribery? Vote for me and I will give you this thing you personally need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

There's enough lithium dissolved in the oceans to last a long time. It just has to be economic to extract.

Maybe that can be extracted from the brine left over by desalination plants

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Zotix posted:

The UK showing the US how to do a peaceful transition of power twice in a week.

Number of votes cast for Truss? Number of votes cast for King Charles III?

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

silence_kit posted:

24 days of paid leave a year is a really good benefit. If your goal in this thread is to create a narrative that the railroad workers are being exploited, it would be a good idea to stop talking about the amount of paid leave that they are going to get, and focus on something else.

As I understand it, Railroad workers are on call 24/7 365. They could be called to man a train at any day of the week and at any hour of the day. The only caveat is that they must have 10-hours notice.

They do have 24 days of paid leave, but that must be scheduled months in advance and counts against any day of the week. So if your daughter is getting married on a Saturday in May and you want to guarantee you do not get called to drive a train that day you use one of your 24 days a year.

But if your daughter gets in a car accident the week before the wedding and you want to travel to be with her in the hospital, well you didn't schedule that months in advance so you could be punished for not being available.

Same goes for funerals and personal doctor's visits.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

haveblue posted:

New York and Delaware should buy a one-way ticket to Florida for anyone caught with a gun violent felon released from jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Seems like there was an enormous amount of fraud with the CARES Act and the early days of the pandemic.

Some of it was probably worth it as just the cost of getting all of it out as fast as possible, but still pretty staggering.

Current estimates are:

- $76.1 billion in PPP fraud.

- $46.5 billion in unemployment fraud.

- $661.5 million in food assistance fraud.

- (Debatable whether this is technically fraud or not since there weren't explicit restrictions on how states could use it, but...) Roughly $80 billion in aid to state governments/local governments/schools was used for funding projects or hiring staff that they needed before the pandemic and was not covid-related.

The $12 million Florida set aside for actions like the Martha's Vineyard airlift came from Federal COVID funds.