Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Crows Turn Off posted:

I honestly, truly believe there is no way out of this mess for the US. This is one of many explicitly religious decisions they're making.

Explicitly religious, but only for Christianity. I don't foresee this group granting the same kinds of bonus rights to other religions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Main Paineframe posted:

A commitment to veto any federal abortion ban in Congress. Not a bad thing at all, but the only way we're going to be in a position for this promise to matter is if the GOP takes the Senate, in which case we're not getting Roe codified anytime soon.

I think most people understand Roe is dead for a very long time. It took nearly 50 years for anti-abortion groups to get enough power in the right places to overturn it, and it will likely take a very long time for pro-abortion groups to get enough power to make it permanent. Hopefully the steps taken today can provide some certainty to women and to doctors so that people can get the help they need.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

PT6A posted:

EDIT: Hmm, just looked it up, Ted Cruz's father actually left Cuba after being beaten for opposing the Batista regime, pre-Revolution. I would not have guessed that.

His father says now that he feels that Che Guevara lied to him and everybody else about what was going on. He's a fire and brimstone kind of preacher as well.