Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Yeah I just don’t think it’s as good a gotcha as it seems, because they are pretty different things. But eh, whatever, nuance is dead so take what we can get I guess.

It's not an argument about nuance, it's an argument about ideology. Since everything Biden does is bad, now forgiving any kind of loan no matter the nuance is bad. Except when it's their loans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Artonos posted:

Why should these republicans be so dead set against one federal program forgiving a portion of a loan when another federal program forgave many entities a much larger loan?

I mean, beyond just trying to score quick points and general culture war stuff, the GOP doesn't support public education, let alone higher education for non landowning wealthy white men.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Given Biden's 2020 campaign was infamously barely a thing at all, I'm really not so sure how he would have done 2016, but then my brain actively refuses to think about that topic for some reason. The Before Times being like a dream of nonsense, probably.

I thought the general view of him at the time was that he was more conservative than Obama, and after Obama's failure, 8 more years the same (or likely worse) wasn't going to motivate people to get out and vote. Since Clinton was runner up to Obama, and seeing how Obama got clowned on by the GOP, I think she sold herself on the hope that while she may not be as progressive as Obama sold himself as being, she would be more adept at being able to get things done and handle the opposition.

Given the last 2 years, who knows how it would have turned out if he actually ran and won, though. Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen the Democrats being more progressive than during their time as opposition against Trump, and even now the only reason they actually have a hope in the midterms is 1) the conservatives getting big wins in the SC, 2) the Dems actually managed to pass some legislation after like a year of nothing, 3) scaring the public shitless that democracy is on death's doorstep (because they've done nothing to protect voter rights and the GOP has gone hog wild and Trump won't stop calling for a violent overthrow).

cgeq fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Sep 10, 2022

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

They're conducting classes in Yiddish and Hebrew, but not in English, in order to ensure that the kids are cut off from the surrounding communities.

The ideal is for them to know just enough English to vote for whoever the Grand Rabbi tells them to vote for, and not one word more. And that's why they've been able to get away with so much to begin with: they're an ironclad political bloc who vote very reliably, and all they really want is for the secular authorities to turn a blind eye and allow them as much autonomy as they can get away with.

Ok, so like, that sounds bad, but where do you draw the line between allowing insular communities unchecked autonomy and cultural genocide?

Like most advanced nations in the world teach their kids English (or whatever the lingua franca is) without losing their cultural identity, but I'm sure it's easy to spin as overreach and politicians just don't want the headache (and do want the community's support).

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004
Embarrassment, perhaps? Just challenging them in public can be embarrassing for them.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Walker also thinks that Joe Biden is taking away dockworkers and security guards in Georgia, forcefully relocating them to Washington D.C., and then making all the dock workers and security guards become forensic accountants... for some reason.

Sounds like he's a fan of centralized planning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- (Debatable whether this is technically fraud or not since there weren't explicit restrictions on how states could use it, but...) Roughly $80 billion in aid to state governments/local governments/schools was used for funding projects or hiring staff that they needed before the pandemic and was not covid-related.

I mean, at least it sounds like that money was spent on salaries and *stuff* rather than just used to cut taxes.