Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

More than two years after South Dakota AG Jason Ravnsborg killed a man with his car on the highway and fled the scene, he was finally removed from office during his impeachment trial. He had been refusing to resign and forced the supermajority GOP state legislature to impeach and remove him.

https://twitter.com/TomKludt/status/1539373079733862400?s=20&t=PcZ7HmPvxfzded_YixvGQQ

Don’t forget he was probably drunk, claimed he didn’t slow down because he thought he hit a deer, then returned the next morning to….make sure the deer wasn’t still suffering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Wonder if this moment was in the backs of the senates mind when they started working on that new protection for judges AND NO ONE ELSE law

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This is going to turn North Carolina into a war zone.

https://twitter.com/nc_governor/status/1540344093120798722?s=21&t=DgYOrB2hMRt4__N4TFmPOw

Hopefully the gas prices keep the chuds from rolling into Asheville.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Cimber posted:

I wonder though if there is a silver lining. Abortion was pretty much the thing that held a lot of the various conservative groups together. With that gone are we now going to see the high water mark of modern American Conservatism? Will the big tent republicans start fracturing?

As soon as it leaked, McConnell started musing about what they’d go after next.

They’re already moving on trans rights. Gay marriage is there too.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Is there any other job where you could fail as miserably as dem leadership and not be expected to resign?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I don’t follow joe biden and I think this was sent Twitter wide?

https://twitter.com/joebiden/status/1540468564402094080?s=21&t=d6WekK3WDVb7PvoH3397Hw

Edit: never mind, I was following him.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Get used to this

https://twitter.com/az_rww/status/1540544199056949249?s=21&t=2o5grLJ4YVlIFOqGDEwmcQ

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mormon Star Wars posted:

In order to do what the tea party did for Republicans, you have to be willing to non-stop attack "DINOs" like they did "RINOs." Given what we have seen in the thread - that attacking Cuellar is going to far, because he has to win the election - I really don't think Democrats replicating that success is possible. People aren't even willing to suggest people go after Manchin, and he's directly responsible for a lot of our situation!

To do what the tea party did for the Republican Party, you need a highly centralized, highly organized, very well funded group of people and a complicit media apparatus.

The only thing organic about the tea party movement was the inherent racism‘s it used to stoke their anger. The tea party was a coordinated effort to shift Republican party and the GOP voter base in a reactionary direction in order to serve various business interests.

The GOP leadership and the money behind it actively encouraged the shift, and suffered a few acceptable losses along the way from people I got primaried. The only thing they probably did not expect was a true believer Conman winning the presidency, but they got everything they wanted from him anyway.

The same dynamic simply does not exist within the democratic party, as the party itself is far more focused on suppressing the left and fundraising than it is about shifting their own politics. And as we have seen multiple times, the Dems are more than happy to help promote the farthest of right wing candidates to make their own center right policies seem more progressive.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I grew up in Florida and my family lives there. I live in Washington state.

Democrats are significantly less fascist materially.

It is very difficult to take arguments like this seriously when the leader ship that created the current version of the democratic party which has allowed all of this to go on for decades without any meaningful resistance are still in power with no pressure to relinquish it.

I think the “lesser of two evils“ argument would be a lot more convincing if the people whose incompetence has got us to this point were facing any kind of professional consequences.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Rigel posted:

I might have been thinking about Medicaid's long term care, where nursing homes make you spend down your assets.

This is called the donut hole and it’s why i tell all my patients with new, progressive diagnoses to make sure they don’t legally own anything like a boat, car, retirement fund etc because it can take over a year to legally do this and they want to be prepared when the time comes.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I AM GRANDO posted:

Does Biden even really want to run? I guess there’s no way for us to know, but when my grandpa was 80, he mostly liked naps. Also he was dead three years later.

As bad as biden was on the trail and debates in 20, he’s worse now, and at his age the decline isn’t not linear.

There’s already been plenty of anonymous quotes which sound a whole lot like his aides don’t want him speaking extemporaneously.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Also I’d like to point out that at no point in Biden’s career would he have been up to this moment.

It is difficult to imagine a dem less equipped and willing to deal with the crises at hand.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If we’re just tossing names into the pot then Roy Cooper is basically centrist libs dream.

Won re-election at the same time trump carried the state, has generally come down on the right side of dem idpol issues, puts NC and keeps GA in play etc

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 27, 2022

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

cat botherer posted:

Real talk: what would it take for Pelosi to lose her speaker (soon minority leader) status? I can’t imagine anybody but the DCCist of the DCC think she’s doing great.

Enough shame to compel her to step down.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The establishment has heard the whispers eluded to in this thread and are giving joe the dreaded “vote of confidence.”

https://twitter.com/nbcnews/status/1542440334289936386?s=21&t=WPQvhrdLITXYHH7UsJeYHw

quote:

People who have spoken with the president described to NBC News what’s become a familiar exercise. Biden will argue he’s the only one who can beat Trump, sometimes ticking through the names of potential Democratic candidates if he stepped aside — Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Pete Buttigieg, even Vice President Kamala Harris. Then rhetorically asks: Can any of them beat his 2020 rival?

Aides say the president also plans to use November’s midterm elections as something of a test run for 2024, much as he used the 2018 midterms to set up his 2020 bid. As the Jan. 6 committee wraps up its work this fall, Biden is also likely to invoke new revelations to remind the country what is at stake should Trump allies return to power in Washington, harkening back to another core message from his winning campaign that the very soul of the nation is at risk.

The selling points will include the passage of the bipartisan infrastructure law. He also hopes to motivate key pillars of his political constituency — Black voters and suburban women — by highlighting the historic appointment of Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court and underscoring what’s at stake after the high court overturned Roe v. Wade.

So basically

1. Trump!?
2. Roe v wade
3. African Americans and suburban women

Just useless

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

McConnell might realize that time is no longer on his side.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

There goes your majority.

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1542508251589124096?s=21&t=iY8rinxNqnh3A8dYiTp1mw

Hip surgery at his age is, uh, dicey.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Riptor posted:

Scott had said that, had Sanders become president or whatever, he would have replaced him with another Democratic-leaning Independent. I suspect he might do the same here; keep in mind that VT elects governors every 2 years (including this November) so if Leahy were to die and if Scott were to put a Republican in his place, he'd be committing political suicide

Leahy won’t be able to vote.

Iron Lung posted:

Not really if they do the surgery immediately.

Love to take 82 year olds off their aspirin and oral anticoagulation to do a surgery that by itself drastically increases their stroke risk requiring anesthesia which at his age causes notable cognitive decline.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Cimber posted:

I wodner if the people who say that abortion should be illegal in the last 3 months of pregnancy actually stop and think about who's getting abortions at that time.

While I don't have the exact stats, I can imagine that almost 95% of the woman who have to have that specific procedure are doing it for health reasons and not for reasons of not wanting a baby. Who's going to go through 7-8-9 months of hell, illness, bloating, discomfort and then say "Ah fuckit, lets get rid of this thing in my belly!"

They think it’s just women who don’t fit into their bathing suits anymore and want to go party.

There is no second thought to it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

Even if she didn't have a significant impact on Trump's numbers it would drive him absolutely up the wall that she's in the race. And they might as well have WWE host the debates.

Not sure why you’re assuming Cheney runs as a Republican.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

I wonder if there's even going to be a Republican primary in 2024 if Trump announces he's running. Like what Republicans are going to want to go into a debate with their orange god king? Maybe DeSantis but I highly doubt it.

Plenty of grifters and people angling for (brief) cabinet positions

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

A scenario where penn, North Carolina, and Georgia all overturn their elections is effectively secession with them joining presumably the rest of the south east. at that point you’re in Clancy-realm.

It did lead me to think about how the gop is backing themselves into a corner where they CANNOT accept a loss in 2024 (or any race in 2022) and how this is going to create pressure by itself. Pressure on the Dems as well.

Like imagine a scenario where a dem victory in 2024 depends on them contesting obvious shenanigans in North Carolina or whatever with huge implied violence nationally and low level violence and protesting breaking out regionally.

Does anyone think they fight?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Twincityhacker posted:

I briefly saw that there was a shooting incident in Philidephia last night on the morning news and finally had time to look it up.

Nobody was killed, and only two cops were injured. They don't even know if it was a purposeful shooting or just bullets fired into the air from somewhere else in the city. It's only a shooting of note because they had to evacuate thousands of people from the area because it happened right before the city's fireworks display.

Honestly, it's more remarkable that no one was injured during the evacuation than anything else.

https://twitter.com/sharifajackson/status/1544167574837100544?s=21&t=PUOQM9c6SfnRmMwNoWtrfg

Thank god for that mythril weave in his hat.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Huh. Well that’s certainly unexpected.

https://twitter.com/andrewfeinberg/status/1544377749309165569?s=21&t=PUOQM9c6SfnRmMwNoWtrfg

These aren’t congressional subpoenas either.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Everyone on Herschel Walker's campaign thinks he is a pathological liar and mentally unstable, but they are hanging on for the paycheck and in the vain hope that they can steer him in the right direction.

Some of them think the campaign stress is going to push him over the edge, that he might actually not be 100% there, and dozens of members of his campaign staff are leaking it to reporters.

https://twitter.com/SollenbergerRC/status/1545055876456669186
https://twitter.com/sambrodey/status/1545061260449832961

It’s very possible Walker is not lying to the best of his knowledge.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Who in the world are the 6%

https://twitter.com/terellwright2/status/1546463806632648705?s=21&t=DGTrhIRJeVkMJEQ7RgS50A

quote:

President Biden is facing an alarming level of doubt from inside his own party, with 64 percent of Democratic voters saying they would prefer a new standard-bearer in the 2024 presidential campaign, according to a New York Times/Siena College poll, as voters nationwide have soured on his leadership, giving him a meager 33 percent job-approval rating.

In a sign of deep vulnerability and of unease among what is supposed to be his political base, only 26 percent of Democratic voters said the party should renominate him in 2024.

The backlash against Mr. Biden and desire to move in a new direction were particularly acute among younger voters. In the survey, 94 percent of Democrats under the age of 30 said they would prefer a different presidential nominee.

Do that many dem donors have kids under 30?

Also lmao at the random lanyard who has to convince college kids to knock on doors for biden.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Another interesting thing is that the under 65 age groups care the least about age. It's primarily the 65+ crowd that is concerned about it.

Over 65 crowd are the most likely to have seen a parent suffer cognitive decline and know it when they see it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Using EMTALA is clever because it threatens hospital medicare reimbursement.

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1546605593011650561?s=21&t=RXmAEaOsl_-_tny_sxmkZQ

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Biden administration on Monday told hospitals that they “must” provide abortion services if the life of the mother is at risk, saying federal law on emergency treatment guidelines preempts state laws in jurisdictions that now ban the procedure without any exceptions following the Supreme Court’s decision to end a constitutional right to abortion.

The Department of Health and Human Services cited requirements on medical facilities in the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act, or EMTALA. The law requires medical facilities to determine whether a person seeking treatment may be in labor or whether they face an emergency health situation — or one that could develop into an emergency — and to provide treatment.

EMTALA is a lot of things but basically if someone comes in to the er they get evaluated regardless of ability to pay. If they require advanced care they get it, and if the hospital can’t provide they have agreements with higher lvl facilities that can.

Hospitals that break this law risk losing Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement and huge fines.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Newsome vs Trump would be great because both he and his competitors son would both have been married to the same person.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

VorpalBunny posted:

Whatever happened to that dude? What will it take for these ghouls to spill the tea?

Primaried, threatened to invoke “dark maga” on social media, and is currently drying out somewhere, I presume.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

yronic heroism posted:

Do you have any proof of this or is it just a generic “Dems bad” speculation?

Chris coons dreams of being joe manchin.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Scuffy_1989 posted:

What makes you think that the writers of the Constitution, upon seeing a demonstration of an AR-15, wouldn't just say "gently caress yeah, these things look awesome for killing the British/Indians. We'll take 1,000!" ?

Because none of them would want to risk one of their slaves getting any ideas.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Regardless, if the Dems manage to actually gain a seat in November, manchin needs to lose everything. There’s no functional difference between 50 and 51 dem votes.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

there's a strange tension between the democratic leadership's two primary impulses baked into the hearings. on the one hand, their proposition to their base has been 'we keep you safe from Republicans,' and as such they have to present Republicans as the existential threat to democracy they are absolutely trying to be.

on the other hand, their proposition to their donors has been 'we will preserve the status quo come hell or high water, both of which are oncoming pretty fast btw,' and part of the status quo is that no Republican criminality will or indeed can be prosecuted.

so they find themselves in a bizarre place where while the Democratic trifecta can't even talk itself into Republicans being scary enough to pass voting rights laws over (let alone worth punishing for their crimes) You the Voter need to do all the being afraid they will not.

bit of a mess, tbh

Yeah I think they’ve done too good of a job. They’ve really put together a compelling and well made narrative that is as complete as could be without having the inner circle confess. Unfortunately they are backing themself into a corner where anything will be a disappointment. And I have incredibly low expectations for the Dems to do anything.

And unless by some miracle trump is imprisoned (lol) he and his followers will use it as vindication.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dubar posted:

The opinion of anyone not named Merrick Garland is irrelevant to opening a criminal investigation in this case

Luckily I can read his thoughts.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

It's also possible that Sinema is just completely out of her depth on top of positioning herself to cash out.

After her curtsy no vote and the backlash, she posted advertisements on political job boards trying to hire an advisor from advisor from Arizona.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Can’t wait to see those texts between Greenwald and Jones, and absolutely dreading the pictures sent between him and MTG.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Thiels almost certainly smart enough to keep multiple levels between him and Alex Jones.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

edit* i got got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Seyser Koze posted:

Which power did the parliamentarian exercise to make that happen?

The ability to say that a price cap on something sold by private industry is not covered in reconciliation.

This is only an issue because now thune is getting it stripped to “protect the integrity of the reconciliation process.”