Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/08/05/alex-jones-sandy-hook-punitive-damages/

Alex Jones ordered to pay $45.2 million more in punitive damages to Sandy Hook parents

I think someone here was predicting this would be under $10m yesterday, so I would think they'd be glad to be wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Pushing EV's is great and all but needs to be paired with grid improvements and greener baseline power.

I'm aware the bill subsidizes existing nuclear which is good, but are we just getting a bunch of new EVs that will strain the grid?

I don't think EVs meaningfully "strain the grid," though? Is there data I'm not seeing on this?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

every big company in america has refused to upgrade its systems for people who aren't white collar workers at corporate. wal-mart, costco, target their instore systems are all roughly as advanced as this

The Wal-Mart point of sale system for deliveries might as well be an Apple IIe.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In case you have javascript disabled or can't get past the paywall in the WaPo article about the IRS, this is the picture of the cafeteria at the Austin office where they process all the tax returns they have in the article:

Yeah, one gets very Soviet Russia vibes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Young Freud posted:

Two years ago, if you said this would happen, no one would believe you.
https://twitter.com/andrewcuomo/status/1556990308424028163?s=20&t=Kz55dK9K7UyAt7A4JdNYTQ
The 2020 frontrunner for the 2024 Democratic presidential nomination everyone!

A lot of people might believe you, actually. Internally in New York politics and if you asked politically active New Yorkers generally, Cuomo's reputation was always as a tyrannical operator who only earnestly believed in accumulating power, even (and perhaps especially) if it meant siding with Republicans over Democrats. Cuomo coming out swinging as anti-Trump was also some baldfaced political opportunism that ended with a rescinded Emmy.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

the stochastic terror epidemic has found a new timely target

https://twitter.com/mynbc15/status/1557745287283736577

This follows almost every Republican making insane claims about how the FBI is doing a political hitjob on the rightful president.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

skylined! posted:

Real grim poo poo that my first thought was 'better than a grocery store I guess'.

You should definitely be alarmed that it took less than a business week for this to go from Kevin McCarthy's mouth to action by the cult.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

McCarthy is one of the dumbest mutherfuckers in Congress.

All the smart R's kept their mouths shut because they knew this was coming and they didn't want to eat it. And now every dumbass that ran their dumb loving yap has this on them. All that energy and sympathy they had on their side. Boom. Republicans are shooting up FBI buildings. Hows that for a campaign talking point.

Just the dumbest mutherfuckers.

McCarthy's signature trait is being dumber than a bag of hammers, it's how minority leader fell to him in the first place. The guy displays no leadership or even basic political cunning. The congressional investigation of Trump is a disaster for Republicans entirely because he is a moron.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't think there is any evidence he tried to sell it to anyone.

But also... why in the world would he take nuclear secrets that "only the President and a few others" know existed and just put them in a regular keypad safe in his house for almost 2 years? And why did he fight so hard to keep them after the DOJ already knew he had them? If selling them was actually the plan, then you obviously can't sell them at that point.

And I'm not sure why you would take them from the White House and hide them for so long. Or keep them so relatively unguarded for two years if you wanted to sell them/keep them.

Every part of this is incredibly weird.

Last I checked the investigators found nothing of interest to them in the safe, so at this point in order to avoid being misinformed I'd wait for the warrant to be unsealed.

Trump is a senile idiot, so it's just as likely he took the documents without realizing what they were, probably more likely in fact, than any nefarious purpose. The laughing goblin inside me would like to think he tried to give nuclear secrets to Putin, of course.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Chieves posted:

I always have to do a double-take when I see that these people unironically call themselves pedes. :psyduck: It's a centi/millipede reference, right...?

It's related to a Knife Party song. No, Knife Party doesn't understand it either.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

evilweasel posted:

the """"""theory"""""" is the president has the inherent power to declassify anything he wants and he did it, he just didn't tell anyone or perhaps even realize he was doing it

unfortunately that is not the law, also the laws he broke don't care if he formally declassified it

Fits well with the King Trump narrative that Trump and his biggest toadies have pushed from day one, of course

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Logic Probed posted:

So remind me; what makes this guy so hated that someone was willing to attack him like this? Was one of his books just that bad? (By bad I mean offensive and controversial, which admittedly there's quite a few books like that, but I don't want to diminish the impact here)

There's been a standing kill order on him from the ayatollah in Iran since he published The Satanic Verses. That was decades ago, and the Iranian government didn't always seem to give a poo poo, but that's not the same as rescinding it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

You don't think the GOP would change their own rules to accommodate Trump?

Reminder that they changed the official Republican Party Platform to "we support Trump" (paraphrased)

Iirc they went out of their way not to have a stated platform, to avoid drawing attention to how nakedly ghoulish it is

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Maggie Haberman is the platonic ideal of an Access Journalist, basically a glorified government court stenographer who debases themselves to the ruling party in order to simply be around them and have access to them in order to tell the story. Though in order to maintain that access, they need to tell the story on the ruling party's terms and in accordance with their narrative. Haberman spent 6 years obsequiously crawling behind Trump at his feet and indulging his every batshit whim and nodding along to every blatant lie in order to maintain her precious access to the powerful, in order to be--and I apologize for quoting Hamilton, but she is a very Aaron Burr-type character--in the room where it happened.

Maggie thinks that after the Mar-A-Lago raid, Trump will, at the very least never be president again, and might possibly end up in jail, so she's started treating him like a critical subject for once AND dropping dime on him here and there with all the little secrets she learned of or overheard in the White House while crawling around licking Trump's shoes day in and day out. She thinks she's amassed a figurative fortune from all of her access bets and she is cashing out and leaving the big old Trump roulette table because the game is done.

Haberman often made Trump look very bad and even reportedly made Trump real mad several times while he was president (as pretty much everyone did, because he's a giant baby), despite always reporting things through her ineffectual center-left lens where outright lies could not be referred to as such if there was any softened NYT-ism to be used instead.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Trump has spent his whole life negotiating deals through an attorney, then using "attorney client privilege" as some all powerful get out of legal trouble free card, when in actuality no one wanted to go through with pursuing charges because A.) he was broke and B.) it'd be such a hassle. The attorney client privilege was never "one weird trick," just another layer of poo poo people didn't want to go through to go after a slum lord and fraud.

Ever since he's been in office he's been using it, and now executive privilege, as some weird cudgel that has repeatedly been shot down in court. He even has his attorneys claiming second hand executive privilege, like that one (in an unrelated court case) who said his client couldn't answer a question because it involved Donald Trump, who the lawyer had also been hired by.

It's complete that doesn't withstand a second of scrutiny.

The over-arching legal strategy is to dither and delay interminably. If for example he becomes president again or dies, it likely all becomes moot.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

And that's why I think he'll never see consequences.

Whether he becomes president again, or drags it out indefinitely, none of it ends with him seeing any real consequences for what he did.

"Real consequences" are doing the heavy lifting here. "Not being credibly able to win a general election" is a real consequence of his behavior that's already been demonstrated once and is only becoming more difficult, since at minimum the Donald Trump brand since Jan 6 has been non-stop grievance politics and messy scandals, which even conservative voters have gotten sick of.

If you mean legally, well yeah historical patterns are that presidents are above the law and no one finds it politically expedient to go after them even when they aren't. Donald has a way of breaking those patterns though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Right, isn't most of the "gun violence is a mental health issue" thing predicated largely around suicides and lumping those statistics into it in ways that conflate homicides and mass shootings with self harm? I believe that's the case but I may be mistaken

It's a reason not to do anything about guns, but never mind that Republicans don't want to do anything about mental health either.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Republicans largely "won" their position on COVID, in that it's now official government and corporate policy everywhere that it doesn't really exist or matter.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

All that money, and this guy could think of nothing better to do with it than burn it on politicians.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This forgiveness plan eliminates 95% of my remaining debt, but I would still rather that he went with the 50k number and let all the crab bucketeers suck even more poo poo.

Gadfly posted:

I'm completely shocked Biden is going forward to forgiving student loan debt. I didn't think he'd have the balls to do it. He's definitely got my vote for 2024.

EDIT: LOL FoxNews right on brand

Biden, Coolest President Ever, is the enemy of the republic!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm sorry if this is a "do your own homework" question, but does anyone have a link I can share about how student loan forgiveness isn't just an unjustified gimme to people who don't work?

It has nothing to do with your work status other than your upper income limit, which is at a very generous cap.

Crab bucket mentality is a logical fallacy.

We're the wealthiest country in the history of the world, we should start acting like it.

People will be able to move this income sink around into things like housing payments and increase lower and middle-class wealth and aspirational ability.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

cr0y posted:

Kind of off topic but what the hell happens when both trump and DeSantis announce they are running?

DeSantis probably loses.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ColdPie posted:

Just think of all the jobs loan relief will make. If you're opposed to loan relief, why do you hate creating jobs? So many jobs.

Mostly it will create housing payments, if I had to guess.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUsin5sSk90

Dick Trauma posted:

Might as well be honest about why they prefer college to be unaffordable. :patriot:

https://twitter.com/RepJimBanks/status/1562820837140742144?s=20&t=vRR8g_XZLJ2TxSdSCtsE1g

This is some level 100 ghoul poo poo.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

If Trump runs in 2024 I don't think anyone else will run against him. I really can't imagine a primary of all MAGA folks. What would the debates be like? Would they even have debates? I can't imagine any of the people that have been kissing the ring these last 5 years to say anything bad about Trump to his face. The only possibility I see is maybe a non MAGA republican like Liz Cheney running against Trump.

DeSantis is the only person who seriously has a prayer, given that he is building his bona fides by being even more of an authoritarian right-wing tyrant than Trump. Much speculation was made that he was successfully Building the Case.

Trump getting the entire GOP to start threatening the DOJ/FBI within hours of being raided demonstrated who is actually still in control of the party.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

"I want these boxes to look at for my own amusement/as keepsake treasures of my victory"

"No. You have to give them back."

"Ah well I can use these as part of my strategy of looking like a victim, and employ every sleazy landlord legal strategy I can think of to keep them anyway, since my legal team is down to similar moron scumbags anyway"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Randalor posted:

I like this Joe Biden. Where has he been hiding out for the past year and a half?

Optimus Joe Unleashed, who refers to MAGA Republicans as semi-fascists, delivering the blistering, nuclear own we've all been waiting for.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If you're moving from California you're probably doing it to save money on property. Moving cross-state is a huge loving pain in the rear end and there are plenty of weird little enclaves to be found in California where you can be conservative.

Morons in other states are taught to hate Californians

(A) because they've never left their bumpkinville towns to know poo poo about anything

(B) they think that Californians are responsible for the housing crisis

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

Is there a good source of advice anywhere on moving between states? Lately I've been doing a lot of thinking on the subject of "do I want to live the rest of my life in a state where I probably won't be able to get married within a few years", but since I have no particular preferences on which of the blue states in the Union I'd like to live in, it's hard to even know where to begin or what would be feasible.

Get a remote work job, if possible. Otherwise, search for jobs in the area you want to move to.

Get an insured mover. If the moving price is too good to be true, it is, and you'll wait weeks longer to get your poo poo back than promised and a lot of the delicate stuff will be broken.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bugsy posted:

A few more bits of truth news.

They owe one one of their hosting companies over 1.5 million and havent paid it for who knows how long.

And some general clusterfuckery because they are run by a group of morons.

https://www.axios.com/2022/08/29/truth-social-problems-trump

I think my favorite part is that it's unclear who is on the board (because everyone's already jumped ship from this grift).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

This disconnect will exist as long as the business of school is job training. I agree with all of the professors who think the point of higher education is to give you a broad education but the business that most higher education is selling to people is "you need this poo poo for a job".

I would've been glad to get any functional career training in college for my career in writing and editing, but most of what I got were Authors Who Were All Dead by 1960 at the latest. It varies wildly on which school you end up at.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Wasn't KF considered an SA offsite at one point or am I mixing my legends of somethingawful

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Grandma in the Wind

Every news agency has been busily prepping a barrage of The Queen Is Dead special interest stories for 20+ years, some of them are even interesting.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't think it should be taken for granted that Biden would have defeated Trump in 2016 as asserted here, nor should it be taken for granted that Biden's political instincts are so much better.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ok I actually like Biden now knowing that he correctly thought Hillary would lose and that Bernie was the good one

Biden in 2020:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM3MgDTLqec

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

He didn't even go that far. He basically said, "Bernie is trustworthy and real, but Hillary isn't (however, she has many other great qualities!) and that might prove a problem for her." Which turned out to be right, but got the political director upset that he said it on TV.

The fact that Obama's own political director was:

- Telling Biden to stop talking about it Hillary's trustworthiness problem because nobody cares about that.

and

- Arguing that Hillary could only lose in a low turnout election where the Republicans were energized, but that was never going to happen in 2016 because so many establishment Republicans were down on Trump, Hillary would be the first female President, and Obama won white working class voters, so they would be in the bag (and 2016 then turned out to be one of the lowest turnout modern elections, white women supported Trump, and white working class voters supported Trump).

makes me wonder how Obama won by so much twice when he was running the political strategy.

As crazy as this sounds, Obama's opponents were weaker.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Woo that month where Republicans were backing off their frothing hatred of abortion sure was a wild ride, huh

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

BonoMan posted:

He also did not pay the money back immediately. If I recall correctly it took him a lot of time to pay it back even when this initially broke to the public. He denied everything initially and didn't want to give the money back at all.

edit: also I'm selling my Favre signed football in SA Mart if anyone wants it :). I worked on a few commercials with him and even directed one!

Mr. BonoMan, what did you know about the welfare football and when did you know it

Anyway, it's not a shocker at this point to rediscover Brett Favre is an idiot rear end in a top hat, unfortunately

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Right but not until the story came out

And then he’s now claiming that he would never take money to not do something but it’s pretty well proven that he did?

This is America, if the contract states I get something for nothing, how can I be in the wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't really trust Biden either, and I've stopped kissing my Biden pillow with my tongue at night before I go to bed, but this "If Biden is helping to resolve this crisis, why do I think he's Reagan in '81?" posting is really bad.