Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
ROLL CALL OF CURRENT CHAMPIONS

Impact World Champion: Josh Alexander
Alexander beat Eric Young in a fan-service move match at Slammiversary, but still won with his own finishing move. I've read spoilers for the next few weeks, so I know who his next challenger is.

Impact World Tag Team Champions: The Good Brothers
Everything old is new again. Gallows and Anderson, now in their third reign, STILL haven't shared the ring with the Motor City Machine Guns, and I don't know when that happen (it should). There are a couple of challengers I can see challenging them, but nothing right now too obvious.

Impact X Division Champion: "Speedball" Mike Bailey
As I expected, Speedball took the title from Ace Austin - however, it was much earlier than I expected! Even though the title changed hands in Ultimate X47 and Austin was therefore not pinned, I personally thought the newest member of the Bullet Club would hold on to the title for a few months more. Those two are going to wrestle again, but I don't know when.

Impact Knockouts World Champion: Jordynne Grace
As much as Tasha Steelz tried, she just couldn't get over as champion, so Grace won the title in the first-ever Queen of the Mountain match. Much like the X Division Championship picture, I could see a match between the two coming soon.

Impact Knockouts World Tag Team Champions: Rosemary and Taya Valkyrie
Former nemeses turned allies following Havok's merciless beating by Masha Slamovich, Rosemary and Taya Valkyrie won the titles from the Influence at Slammiversary. Spoilers indicate the direction of the division.

Impact Digital Media Champion: Rich Swann
When Matt Cardona got hurt, it became clear that whomever contracted to Impact Wrestling facing off with him first would take the title from him. It just so happened Rich Swann was wrestling him at a Wrestling Revolver show, so there you go.

NEXT PAY-PER-VIEW EVENT: BOUND FOR GLORY
October 7th, from Albany.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/HeyHeyItsConrad/status/1540034369993281542?s=20&t=CCH-iFExOVy2kwQo1pIkzA

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
That is, if he gets past Joe Doering on July 1st in a match just announced.

(Alexander will get past Doering on July 1st)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/PWInsidercom/status/1540107666407694338?s=20&t=L9OS_0iMb5pPiRrej-2wUA

Lady Frost

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I didn’t even know she was signed!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Good on Impact supporting Gisele.

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1540410715835699200?t=b0OpooGl-XZCG25HOrK5SQ&s=19

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1541526791151566857

:lmao: I was joking in the last thread about this being the only throwback stip they didn't do at Slammiversary, but welp...

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Against All Odds is tonight

Youtube Countdown preshow:
Black Taurus vs Laredo Kid
Rich Swann defends the Digital Media title against Brian Myers in a Dot Combat match (no DQs or countouts, tech-related weapons allowed)

Motor City Machine Guns (Alex Shelley and Chris Sabin) vs Bullet Club (Ace Austin and Chris Bey)
Chelsea Green and Deonna Purrazzo vs Mickie James and Mia Yim
Honor No More (Eddie Edwards, Matt Taven, Mike Bennett, Kenny King and Vincent) vs Heath, Good Bros (Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows) and America's Most Wanted (Chris Harris and James Storm)
Moose vs Sami Callihan in Raven's Clockwork Orange House of Fun match
Rosemary and Taya Valkyrie defend the Knockouts tag titles against The Influence (Tenille Dashwood and Gisele Shaw)
Speedball Mike Bailey defends the X title against Trey Miguel
Jordynne Grace defends the Knockouts title against Tasha Steelz
Josh Alexander defends the world title against Joe Doering

HORNEY VAPE BRO
Jun 14, 2009

Apparently Havok hasn't been on TV because she's been wandering Hell

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I was out doing prep for holiday stuff and missed the show, but AAO developments:

Brian Myers won the Digital Media title
Masha Slamovich is coming after Tenille Dashwood
Speedball Mike Bailey is doing open challenge X title defenses as of next week
Kenny King joins Eddie Edwards in terms of Honor No More members fed up with PCO, he's probably getting kicked out soon
Maclin helped Moose beat Sami Callihan
Emergence is next month's special

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if bfg is in vegas i will probably go

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just now got the joke for the term “Dot Combat”. Pretty sneaky, Marchie Archie.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

apparently meltzer highly praised kazarian vs sabin from the most recent episode of impact, calling it a high level g1match

impact uploaded the whole match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af5quutYiak

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

https://twitter.com/SpeedballBailey/status/1545227389654994945

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Time Splitters reunion :pray:

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Edward Mass posted:

Time Splitters reunion :pray:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i completely forgot that they did a weird time splitters reunion in nxt in january 2020. two house show wins over cutler & blake, then a loss to james drake & zack gibson. rough.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Fun episode! Speedball/Angels was good, as was Purrazzo/Yim. Madison Rayne's masquerade-style protective face mask was a great character bit.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Knockouts keep winning.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Speaking of knockouts…

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1545210385296408576

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Edward Mass posted:

Speaking of knockouts…

And she's hungry, too. https://twitter.com/Kelly_WP/status/1545529925687562250?s=20&t=pae6-ZNEdbghT6yqVBpMmA

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just noticed they stopped announcing Masha Slamovich's hometown, which makes sense given that she's supposed to be a babyface.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

So who is the Impact booking team right now? I know Jimmy Jacobs, Archibald Peck and Gail Kim are all involved in some way.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
D'Lo Brown is also on the team, but I have no earthly idea who is the head of creative.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Edward Mass posted:

D'Lo Brown is also on the team, but I have no earthly idea who is the head of creative.

Maybe D'Amore?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Lumbermouth posted:

Maybe D'Amore?

You know what, you're right - Wikipedia says Scott D'Amore was appointed head of creative after Jeff Jarrett got fired in 2017.

It's kind of crazy how D'Amore went from Team Canada manager to running the whole promotion.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 21, 2022

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

You know what, you're right - Wikipedia says Scott D'Amore was appointed head of creative after Jeff Jarrett got fired in 2017.

It's kind of crazy how D'Amore went from Team Canada manager to running the whole promotion.

He's been head booker before, arguably during their best period, I believe? 2005-2006.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Yeah, but I'm talking about his status now as EVP. It's like Gedo also being Takami Ohbari.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Holy poo poo Jordynne is even more jacked than I remember.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Current card for Emergence next month:

Bandido vs Rey Horus in a AAA showcase match
Rosemary and Taya Valkyrie defend the Knockouts tag titles against VXT (Deonna Purrazzo and Chelsea Green)
Jordynne Grace defends the Knockouts title against Mia Yim
Josh Alexander defends the world title against Alex Shelley

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Another solid episode of television wrestling. I hate everyone else in Honor No More, but I had forgotten how much I enjoy Bennett and Taven ad-libbing in the ring. Taven threatening Ace Austin for wearing purple, Bennett forcing people in the front row to too-sweet him, all that TV bully poo poo that I love in heels.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I really hope Ace Austin's future after all the BoSJ and Bullet Club stuff isn't just "welp, back to Impact". Dude's a legit star and the world knows about him now.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

sticklefifer posted:

I really hope Ace Austin's future after all the BoSJ and Bullet Club stuff isn't just "welp, back to Impact". Dude's a legit star and the world knows about him now.

He signed a new deal back in March, so he's there for the long haul. If I was Scott D'Amore, I'd see if there's space on the January 4 Dome Show for Ace Austin to win the Impact World Championship from Josh Alexander.

HORNEY VAPE BRO
Jun 14, 2009

I'm going to Emergence in Chicago and it's going to be the first live wrestling show. I'm hoping that PCO gets on the card, and I'm hoping my wife gets to meet Jordynne Grace although she might die if that happens.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dave and PWInsider both saying Good Bros’ deals expired after the tapings were over. Fightful saying they at least agreed to stick around through summer. Still tag champs either way :shrug:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Edward Mass posted:

He signed a new deal back in March, so he's there for the long haul. If I was Scott D'Amore, I'd see if there's space on the January 4 Dome Show for Ace Austin to win the Impact World Championship from Josh Alexander.
That's about the time when they should start putting him in main events, yeah. I just hope he gets more excursions and working relationship spots like that. Alexander/Austin for the title would be fantastic if they keep up the momentum.

This year in particular, Impact has seemed to reach a catch-22 situation where they can't grow if nobody watches them, but nobody watches them because they aren't growing bigger. I wonder if the problem is more Anthem's budget, or if the ticket sales are just too low for anything bigger. They're getting the talent and the quality wrestling, and the production is better than it's ever been, but it feels wrong to watch Jay White wrestle in dinky black box arenas.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

sticklefifer posted:

That's about the time when they should start putting him in main events, yeah. I just hope he gets more excursions and working relationship spots like that. Alexander/Austin for the title would be fantastic if they keep up the momentum.

This year in particular, Impact has seemed to reach a catch-22 situation where they can't grow if nobody watches them, but nobody watches them because they aren't growing bigger. I wonder if the problem is more Anthem's budget, or if the ticket sales are just too low for anything bigger. They're getting the talent and the quality wrestling, and the production is better than it's ever been, but it feels wrong to watch Jay White wrestle in dinky black box arenas.

Pretty sure a part of it is still the Dixie Carter era TNA stigma still haunting them.

I mean gently caress, even Jerusalem isn't willing to give them another shot despite it being practically a different company, and they stuck with WWE for quite a while.

Love ya J-Ru.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Stone Punkbull 141 posted:

Pretty sure a part of it is still the Dixie Carter era TNA stigma still haunting them.
I was gonna say, leaning into the TNA nostalgia for the 20th anniversary didn't help. Why the hell were Aces & Eights on my TV in 2022?

But yeah Ace is great, and Miguel is reminding me a lot of early Ricochet.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

sticklefifer posted:

The only way Impact Wrestling could support larger arenas would be if they were on a network with larger distribution. Unless one of Fox, Comcast, and/or Warner Bros. Discovery drop their current partner, they can really only sell to either Disney or Paramount, and Disney has never been involved with pro wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Sony is the other option, but I don't know how interested they'd be in wrestling either.

The big five film studios are Disney & Sony owning about 26% each of the total market share, then WBD and NBCU/Comcast owning about 14-15% each, and Paramount only owns 6%. The rest are all minor studios like Lionsgate, though Amazon is probably on their way to Paramount level now that they bought MGM a few months ago, which would raise them to ~7% and make them a major again.

So yeah, pure speculation since Anthem has a controlling stake in AXS and probably isn't going anywhere, but I think if anyone would carry Impact it'd be Paramount. Warren Buffett just bought a bunch of their stock. I wonder if he likes wrestling. If so, watch Impact suddenly get a bunch of new Star Trek angles. :techno: