Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
The urologist I went to liked to do his procedure in the outpatient part of the local hospital. So I showed up at 6am or whatever. They took me into the OR, which was the coldest loving room I've ever been in my life. 2 very cute young nurses were with me, they put a little surgical barrier sheet thing over my waste. One nurse was by my head putting warm blankets on me and chatting, while the other was politely critiquing my shave job. That was awesome. The doctor came in, numbed me up, returned for the procedure. First one no problem. Second on he tugged on to get to it which I did feel, it was VERY mildly uncomfortable for like 10 seconds? Then done. I went and sat on a bed in the hallway for about 30 minutes, a very nice nurse brought me coffee. Another one came and asked to check my stitches, I said "sure you'll be the 5th person to have a look today!" They appreciated my humor, or pretended to. I sat on an ice pack for a couple days and played vidja games while my wife told me I was a brave boy. That was 9 years ago, no issues since. 10/10 would recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
My left nut hurt for 3 years after I got one. Look up post vasectomy pain stuff and see how you feel about it.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
going in for initial assessment tomorrow, at the planned parenthood. Gonna be paying out of pocket (no insurance) which they say will run about $1100 total. Private urologists were charging $1800+ and that wasnt even no-scalpel. If all goes well, i'll get it done early january

i had never wanted children but when i went at 29, i was told that i was too young and that i'd change my mind. Couple years and one unplanned pregnancy later, still havent changed my mind :D if i see that doctor again im gonna give HIM a vasectomy w the toe of my boot

n8r posted:

My left nut hurt for 3 years after I got one. Look up post vasectomy pain stuff and see how you feel about it.

definitely something to consider, but also keep in mind that someone is more likely to report adverse effects than an uneventful procedure. They do 500,000 vasectomies in the US annually and the official numbers for post-vasectomy pain syndrome are 1-2% .. the real incidence rate might be a little higher, but even still the odds are in one's favor

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
My balls feel fine now, aches for a solid week after procedure then nothing

It’s the only time I felt anxiety before a procedure however. That plus the cold room and my small dinger made it extremely awkward and uncomfortable as I literally shriveled on the table

Would do it again in a heartbeat

If you’re too young say you foster kids or risk being told YOURE TOO YOUNG TO MAKE SUCH A BIG DECISION while implying I apparently can handle raising a human somehow

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I live in the US on my company's insurance plan and I literally paid nothing out of pocket for my entire procedure except the $20 copay to get my PCP to refer me to the urologist.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Aren't they reversible? Why do they care if you change your mind 10 years from now?

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
Reversal isn't 100% successful. It's microsurgery to reconnect the plumbing. No guarantee and exponentially more expensive than a vasectomy (mine cost $100, reversal can be $10k). When I went for my assessment, they said to not consider it to be practically reversible.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

UnkleBoB posted:

Reversal isn't 100% successful. It's microsurgery to reconnect the plumbing. No guarantee and exponentially more expensive than a vasectomy (mine cost $100, reversal can be $10k). When I went for my assessment, they said to not consider it to be practically reversible.

From experience, this is correct. Success ranges from 90% to much less depending on your circumstances (especially the age of patient and years since vasectomy) and the surgeon's skill. No insurance coverage possible.

Recovery is WAY more intense than a vasectomy and usually requires full anesthesia, plus hours in surgery to get all of the micro stitching done right. It's way more invasive on your scrotum and the stitches take a while (weeks) to heal.

It's definitely an option but not a fun one.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

going in for initial assessment tomorrow, at the planned parenthood. Gonna be paying out of pocket (no insurance) which they say will run about $1100 total. Private urologists were charging $1800+ and that wasnt even no-scalpel. If all goes well, i'll get it done early january

i had never wanted children but when i went at 29, i was told that i was too young and that i'd change my mind. Couple years and one unplanned pregnancy later, still havent changed my mind :D if i see that doctor again im gonna give HIM a vasectomy w the toe of my boot

definitely something to consider, but also keep in mind that someone is more likely to report adverse effects than an uneventful procedure. They do 500,000 vasectomies in the US annually and the official numbers for post-vasectomy pain syndrome are 1-2% .. the real incidence rate might be a little higher, but even still the odds are in one's favor

Back when I looked I found more in the 5-8% range. Too lazy to look now.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Procedure itself was fine.

But every time i had sex for 8 or 9 months after, it felt like someone was stabbing my balls....and it totally destroyed my sex drive as a result.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Going in today!!! Not gonna lie, I'm squirming just thinking about it .. I was even thinking about getting it postponed UNTIL I got this message the other day:

i didn't submit any requests for need-based cost reduction so idk if this was in error or is some end-of-year tax chicanery , but I'm not gonna waste this opportunity :hai:

Will report back, gentlegoons

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
All right, well i was really nervous throughout the whole procedure despite taking 10mg Valium. The actually procedure wasn’t too bad, maybe like 3/10 physical pain when they cut the vas deferens and then when they did the electrocautery to seal them off. The pain would radiate up into my stomach, kinda like when you get kicked in the nuts. The mental aspect was by far the worst though, I asked to squeeze the nurses hand and she was kind enough to oblige :shobon:

Took like ten minutes all told and I was chatting w the doctor and nurse throughout. I was shaking and breathing heavy for like an hour afterwards, but that was all just mental stuff.

Very little pain now and I’ll take it easy for the next two days but the doctor encouraged me to listen to my body with regards to the amount of activity I could tolerate. Hopefully I can get back to work on Saturday.

n8r posted:

Back when I looked I found more in the 5-8% range. Too lazy to look now.

I had thought it was 2-3% but the doctor said it was 5%. He considered the incidence rate to be too high (as do I) but he said there was no known risk factors for it. here’s hoping I’m one of the lucky ones 😁

CapnStubby
Jan 9, 2007

Beef Of Ages posted:

I got mine done a handful of years ago and the most memorable thing about it was that the doc's last name was Stiff. Can't make that up.

My vasectomy was done by Dr. Head

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
I had one done a year or so ago. The procedure itself was less painful than getting a cavity filled. Didn’t take long didn’t hurt much at all.

Recovery was a bit worse for me than others on here, I was pretty laid up for a few days and I had moderate ball pain when doing anything strenuous or jostling them too much for a couple months afterwards. That was concerning to me given the specter of developing PVPS but it eventually went away entirely and now I don’t have any issues or pain no matter what I do. No regrets at all though I think my recovery was a bit longer and spookier than most on here.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Spoooky recovery where you’re haunted by your severed vas

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

What they didn't tell me about getting a vasectomy is that they take a little short piece of the vas and put it on a little bottle and send it to a lab to make sure it's the right tube. Seeing a little piece of my vas in a bottle was cool as hell.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

What they didn't tell me about getting a vasectomy is that they take a little short piece of the vas and put it on a little bottle and send it to a lab to make sure it's the right tube. Seeing a little piece of my vas in a bottle was cool as hell.

uhhh what? was this recent? ive honestly never heard of this, i thought they just verify that it 'took' w subsequent sperm tests

anyways, I'm happy to say that I haven't been having any issues two weeks out. Soreness lingered for like 4 days but I've been fine since. Zero pain or discomfort and things seem to be working just fine. Hope I didn't jinx myself but looks like I managed to escape the PVPS specter :blessed:

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Yeah my doctor said that a pathologist checks both removed tubes to make 100% sure they removed the right stuff. My vasectomy was less than a year ago at this point.

The most surprising thing about mine was that insurance covered the whole thing even including the NOx gas for the procedure.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Yeah my doctor said that a pathologist checks both removed tubes to make 100% sure they removed the right stuff. My vasectomy was less than a year ago at this point.

The most surprising thing about mine was that insurance covered the whole thing even including the NOx gas for the procedure.

drat you got NOx? Lucky.

99grind
Jan 19, 2023

Techno
Same story as everyone else here. Slight pinch and 5 minutes later, the doctor was done. I haven't gotten my 3 month follow up test though. I can't wait to find out if I can stop using condoms already. I read somewhere that you're supposed to wait 3 months, or 20 total ejaculations.

It's only been 1.5 months and I'm 100% sure I've passed 20 ejaculations, but I'm still paranoid.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

My doctor said there was no justification for the “number of ejaculations” thing. Which was weird because I didn’t even mention it but I see it online all the time

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
One of my most awkward moments was when I forgot the cup of semen at home and had to ask the nurse for a new cup

And then jizz in that one in their bathroom because I didn’t want to make the hour long drive again.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
Jacking off in the hospital bathroom for your follow up cum test is a rite of passage.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Finally asked my doctor for a referral for one of these. I've got a kid, and only so much financial means to support them, so time to retire my ol' balls.

My GP mentioned out of maybe a hundred people he's referred, zero have run into post-op pain, so that is encouraging. Some places on the internet show it as WAY higher.

edit: vvv lol vvv

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 1, 2023

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

My GP mentioned out of maybe a hundred people he's referred, zero have run into post-op pain, so that is encouraging. Some places on the internet show it as WAY higher.

i'd imagine a gaggle of redditors chronically experience ball ache regardless of vasectomy

FistOfTacitus
Oct 21, 2009
Largely same, easy procedure, though it was annoying filling out the forms. Some of 'em are federal, so they're poorly designed and it's handy if you have a fax machine equivalent. I'm on Kaiser health care in Cali, which is a poo poo show, but the operation itself is so easy and quick that it went fine. Appreciated the drive home, and also wanted to note that the post-snip sex has been great. Feels the same, IME, lots more options once you're sterile. I would suggest anyone looking at it to probably get instructions for the tests that are done on ejaculate afterwards; this was the part Kaiser made extremely annoying and right after even minor surgery is maybe not the time for detailed instructions. There are, in theory, time limits and things as to how fresh ejaculate can be to test; I suspect they're extremely conservative, but it's good to know ahead of time if, a couple weeks out, you have to schedule a little self abuse w/in 30 minutes of a particular office. I also suspect people who have better coverage don't have to deal with this.

I was back to lifting weights in about a week, and on the motorcycle again before that, really easy recovery, though the first few days you should take it easy more than you feel like you should.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Currently on a 2 month waitlist for my consult. Then another 6-8 weeks for the proceedure. Totally covered by provincial Canadian health insurance. :canada:

They offered a "luxe" package that costs a bit out-of-pocket and has a bunch more benfits. Skipped it, but will probably pay a few bucks to glue my ballsack vice suture, so I can shower sooner. Guess now's a good time to buy athletic underwear in preperation.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Finally asked my doctor for a referral for one of these. I've got a kid, and only so much financial means to support them, so time to retire my ol' balls.

edit: vvv lol vvv

Official numbers are like 3-5% which is pretty high from a medical/population standpoint but pretty good odds individually. More concerning to them is that they haven’t identified the reason for the pain or any risk factors.

Keep in mind, you’re more likely to get online and share your experience if it was a bad one, making it seem like the rate of post-vasectomy pain is much higher than it is. people who’ve had uneventful vasectomies with no adverse effects usually don’t talk about it, because why would they? It’s the expected outcome, after all.

Kinda like with finasteride, millions and millions of men take/have taken it with no side effects and don’t talk about it.. it’s only the men who’ve had issues who go online and share their experiences, making it seem like th rate of side effects is higher than it is.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Anyways I’m happy to report that I’m still doing great, the worst part has been waiting the full 3 months. I was told wait three months AND have 100 ejaculations, and then do the semen test ….. kind of a drag to have to wait this long to reap the benefits of the proecedure but gotta pay the toll if U wanna rock n roll

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Glad you're doing well!

Yeah, the wait certainly seems like the worst part. The soonest I can get one is in 3 months, plus 3 months afterwards for testing. Summer's gonna nearly be over before I can start recklessly banging. :(

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Got mine done six years ago now it ruled. I am reasonably sure my urologist guy had never even considered the political valence of his signature procedure vis a vis the USA's headlong flight into fascism. So when I was like "dude there’s a chance that women will be legally prevented from controlling their fertility in any way" he did a long stare and said "oh man I should be advertising more" lmao

We chatted during the procedure and I hailed a cab home because lol my wife was out of town for work. Then spent the long weekend doing nothing but icing and video games, it was a great staycation.

I had ball pain / discomfort for about 8 months afterward. Never enough to interfere with sexytimes, but aspects of the experience from boner to bust were noticeably different. now I’m pretty well back to baseline and hey wow no children!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I took my husband to get his in 2016 I think? So he would have been 33 at the time. He had it done at a military hospital in North Carolina. Compared to my experiences with reproductive healthcare it was stunningly easy. He walked into urology, they said "U sure, bro?" he signed a couple of papers and had an appointment the next week. He was nervous as hell in the waiting room, but they gave him some good drugs because half an hour later he came out with a huge grin on his face and told all the dudes waiting "Guys! It's not that bad! It's really easy!" I poured him into the car and took him home. As far as recovery, he stayed on the couch for about a day before getting bored and going back to work. No pain besides just soreness from the incision.

If you're sure you don't want kids, getting snipped is the best thing you can do for yourself and your partner(s). I don't have the numbers, but getting a vasectomy is almost definitely safer than pretty much any form of female birth control. Hormones mess with a lot of women and raise your cancer risk. IUDs are extremely painful, (especially if you've never given birth) usually done with absolutely no anesthetic, and tend to migrate. Even if you tolerate them well they have to be replaced every 3-7 years. Surgical sterilization for women is major abdominal surgery requiring anesthesia with all the attendant risks.

Things have changed a lot in the last few years and vasectomies are easier to get with fewer doctors putting arbitrary restrictions on age or number of children. Most of the stories you hear about medical gatekeeping for men are either apocryphal or a decade or more old. When you compare the risks, benefits and hassle to the sort of things that women are gleefully subjected to in the name of controlling our fertility, it's really a no-brainer. I certainly don't mean to downplay anyone's apprehension about the risks- informed consent is important and chronic ball pain sounds like a real bad time. But as someone who went through two unnecessary abdominal surgeries, two IUD insertions, and whose lifetime cancer risk was raised to a level where I have to have either a mammogram or an MRI every 6 months for the rest of my life, to say nothing of the "normal" stuff caused by birth control like weight gain, mood swings, acne, bleeding for months on end, debilitating cramping, etc, I'd encourage you (again, only if you're sure you don't want to father children) to consider a vasectomy in that context.

Someday we'll get to a point where doctors believe and respect young women and cases like mine are rare, but in the meantime, thanks to those of you who choose to step up and do what you can!

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

*I'm doing my part!*

FistOfTacitus
Oct 21, 2009

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Anyways I’m happy to report that I’m still doing great, the worst part has been waiting the full 3 months. I was told wait three months AND have 100 ejaculations, and then do the semen test ….. kind of a drag to have to wait this long to reap the benefits of the proecedure but gotta pay the toll if U wanna rock n roll

Wow, that's super double conservative. Mine was 2 months and they only asked for 20 ejaculations. Are you not going in for an actual sperm sample check? I went in for the first of two scheduled checks and the tech was like, no viable sperm at all, 0, come back in a month if you really want to.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
… my doc said give it a month, or I think maybe a month after there was no pain at the site so I guess it was probably six weeks. Although again I had weirdness for much longer.

one of the worst bates of my life in that dingy fuckin gross rear end clinic room lmao but absolutely no swimmers!

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

got a non-scalpel done 10 days ago, which I feel is enough to offer my notes:

- the procedure itself was a nothingburger. the doctor small-talked with me about outdoor sports and effectively kept me distracted while he did Who Knows What (while I am a curious person, I am horrible at anatomy and only understand the adjustments in a very vague sense)

- I did not use any Tylenol or ice throughout the entire recovery

- I suspect, but cannot prove, that doing the deed 3.5 days later slowed down my recovery a bit. I searched everywhere online and got conflicting timelines, in hindsight I would just say wait a week.

- went on a walk on day 3. on day 5, went to the beach and walked around, a normal weekend day.

- a bruise developed to the right of the site five days later, which seems to be gradually going away. this can, apparently, be normal.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Going in for my no stitch/no scalpel/no needle procedure in the morning!

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Wait hold up how do they have no needle?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Massive blast of radiation straight into the balls, i assume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
This thread and lots of conversation with my wife finally motivated me to get a vasectomy done. The biggest hurdle over the last year was getting the time off work because I have a very labor intensive job with lots of walking and climbing. The vacation schedule just came out, and I've got a week off in April so here's hoping we can make it happen! :toot: