Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Tree Bucket posted:

Had the doctor secto my vas three days back, and the kicked-in-balls feeling is finally receding. I got knocked out completely for my op because I had a lump that needed removing at the same time. No regrets.
While I think of it- how does this "providing a sperm sample" thing work? I mean, in effect you're arriving at some clinic and declaring "I'm here for the 11 o'clock ejaculation" and that weirds me out.

I had a two hour window for the sample. Produce at home and drive it over to clinic for drop-off.

E: to clarify, I didn’t need an appointment for the after-surgery sperm test. I just had to drop off the sample container in its privacy bag at the clinic within two hours of producing said sample.

The only time I had to do a weird j/o at a clinic in the room with weird old playboys was when we wanted to make kids for reals and I did a “sperm efficacy” test or whatever it’s called. In that scenario they need to see how well your swimmers swim. Post vasectomy, they just want to see if you’re leaking any sperms at all, not how well they swim.

Dicty Bojangles fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Happy Fathers Day!

TheKub
May 11, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

Had the doctor secto my vas three days back, and the kicked-in-balls feeling is finally receding. I got knocked out completely for my op because I had a lump that needed removing at the same time. No regrets.
While I think of it- how does this "providing a sperm sample" thing work? I mean, in effect you're arriving at some clinic and declaring "I'm here for the 11 o'clock ejaculation" and that weirds me out.

I was given a jar and was able to take care of business at home. Delivering a jar of jizz to a lady behind a counter does feel kinda weird though.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

My lab experience was phenomenally awkward. None of the people there made any eye contact with you, just handed you a cup and nodded over at one of the doors to the private rooms. You step inside and there's a recliner with a plastic sheet over it, and a Roku. No ability to stream anything on it, no wifi with your phone, so no visual stimulation. Afterwards, you hand the cup to the lab lady at the counter who suddenly asks a load of questions and makes uncomfortable eye contact while holding your sample cup and moving it around. The sole person to make eye contact in the entire facility, and it was for that.

Procedure itself was fine though. The two things I remember most were holding onto the buff male nurse's hand while the needle went in, and later on, as the white smoke appeared from the cauterization, I commented ah, yes, a new pope has been elected.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

TheKub posted:

I was given a jar and was able to take care of business at home. Delivering a jar of jizz to a lady behind a counter does feel kinda weird though.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Got an appointment second week of July to finally get this done.

Procedure is fully covered, but I might pay some extra to get glue vs stitches so I can shower right away. Maybe a doctor's note too.

Plan is to take the following two days off, then maybe work from home until I feel up to returning to the office. Maybe resume exercise after two/three weeks. I've seen enough horror stories to know not push things.

And who knows. If my 30 day sample is zero, I can still have a hot cum summer. :ccb:

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

My urologist used dissolving sutures, which I liked quite a bit. Are you going to get those?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Is that for the incision, or the vas deferens?

The "covered" version is only for metal clips, but if I pony up $200 I can get sutures and a bunch of other benefits. Honestly the latter sounds better, but I figured I could wait to decide. It's probably more comfortable when my balls are slapping everywhere, and someone else posted that they had scar tissue develop around their clips that was sightly uncomfortable for a few years.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

two fish posted:

Procedure itself was fine though. The two things I remember most were holding onto the buff male nurse's hand while the needle went in, and later on, as the white smoke appeared from the cauterization, I commented ah, yes, a new pope has been elected.

Proof that the Dad Joke Nodules remain unaffected by a vasectomy, at least

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I have a SUPER curious 5 year old, what did y'all tell your kids when they inevitably ask why Dad cannot play with them even though he's not working today?

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
We just told our 2-year old at the time straight up what happened. "Daddy had an operation on his private parts and they hurt, he can't play with you now but will be able to later." We also had a 4-month old at the time and I didn't pick her up or her carrier for a few days while the swelling went down.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Abyss posted:

We just told our 2-year old at the time straight up what happened. "Daddy had an operation on his private parts and they hurt, he can't play with you now but will be able to later." We also had a 4-month old at the time and I didn't pick her up or her carrier for a few days while the swelling went down.

Telling him this and then saying "And that's why I'm moving the playstation is upstairs, wanna watch me play some video games in bed?" worked pretty well.

Anyway, I wake up tomorrow for an appointment with a stranger to remove parts of my body for sex reasons.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My (at the time) 4-year old was regularly drilling me in the bean bag with foam hockey pucks, so Daddy having sore testicles was not a new concept to him.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Well, that helps explain why you wanted the vasectomy

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I didn't do the vallium and it was a breeze. Now to sit on my butt and play video games with ice on my balls for a couple days

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

How frequent is it that the vas deferens will reconstruct itself? I know that's a possibility but a very rare one. The last thing I want is a surprise.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

two fish posted:

How frequent is it that the vas deferens will reconstruct itself? I know that's a possibility but a very rare one. The last thing I want is a surprise.

I read recently that it's something like 0.025 percent

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

National numbers are currently about one in a thousand for spontaneous reversals. If a doctor has been doing it long enough they might know their own stat.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I asked my doctor and he has had zero reversals ever over his 20+ years. He thinks spontaneous reversal is bullshit, in reality those cases were probably just botched procedures is what he told me.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
I would be very impressed at my vas deferens if they reconstructed themselves after I saw how much he took out - about the size of a small box macaroni noodle. The first one he took out he held it up to show me, saying, "Crazy that 30-40 million sperm flow through this thing, right?" and went back to work.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

When a spontaneous reversal happens, would you notice it in any way, or is it something that you only discover when a pregnancy occurs?

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
Usually, it's the pregnancy. Some guys will test themselves every month using a third-party lab kit you can get off of Amazon. I've read about others buying a compound microscope to look at their samples. You could keep using a form of contraception for a year and then get retested if you were really concerned. If spontaneous reversal doesn't happen in the first year, the chances of it happening at all go down to insignificant percentages.

TheKub
May 11, 2006

two fish posted:

If they did what they described for my surgery, it's extraordinarily unlikely. My procedure was explained as 1. Remove section of Vas. 2. Cauterize both remaining ends. 3. Tie ends back away from each other.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

After waiting and talking about it for months, I'm finally getting this done in about 24 hours.

I'm going to be mostly on my own for the first five days (the kid's gonna be at their mother's house), but I think I've got everything I need. Ice packs, cooler, meal supplements, tylenol, antibiotic ointment, a stack of books, supportive underwear and a walking cane that I still have from an old knee injury. Now that I think of it, maybe I should bring over the ol' rolling office chair just in case.

I'll have the rest of the week off from work, then I'll start light weightlifting after two weeks, and start ramping up to my old numbers after four weeks.

The doctor says to wait at least sixteen weeks before giving up birth control (assuming the sample analysis shows the procedure was a success). That's exactly at halloween! :spooky:

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
I must stress to wait for both results of your labs, as you don't want a sneaky sperm to be lurking in the corners of your urethra between test 1 and test 2. Congrats on getting it done (tomorrow) and hope you have a speedy recovery!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

There's a concerning lack of Nintendo or PlayStation and the like in your list of supplies.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

There's a concerning lack of Nintendo or PlayStation and the like in your list of supplies.

My PC is right next to my bed, but I guess that's hard to use flat-on-your-back. There's like 3 books I've been meaning to read anyway, and I don't know when I'm going to have a kid-free few days again, so I'm going to take advantage.

I'm going to resist the temptation to check my work laptop, but I already see myself failing that one.

Abyss posted:

I must stress to wait for both results of your labs, as you don't want a sneaky sperm to be lurking in the corners of your urethra between test 1 and test 2. Congrats on getting it done (tomorrow) and hope you have a speedy recovery!

Thanks! And yeah, I don't intend on being reckless until all samples check out.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

After waiting and talking about it for months, I'm finally getting this done in about 24 hours.

I'm going to be mostly on my own for the first five days (the kid's gonna be at their mother's house), but I think I've got everything I need. Ice packs, cooler, meal supplements, tylenol, antibiotic ointment, a stack of books, supportive underwear and a walking cane that I still have from an old knee injury. Now that I think of it, maybe I should bring over the ol' rolling office chair just in case.

I'll have the rest of the week off from work, then I'll start light weightlifting after two weeks, and start ramping up to my old numbers after four weeks.

The doctor says to wait at least sixteen weeks before giving up birth control (assuming the sample analysis shows the procedure was a success). That's exactly at halloween! :spooky:

My very buff doctor told me to avoid squats and deadlifts for at least 4 full weeks since they cause a ton of pressure in the area, so you want everything properly healed. I got back to upper body lifts in 3 weeks and full body in 5 and had no problems.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Oh my god goons, I just finished, and I think I made a TERRIBLE MISTAKE.

Nah, just kidding. Procedure was okay. The freezing didn't hit my right vas very well, so there was some sharp pain there a few times, but itbwas manageable.

They gave me Ativan, and boy howdy was that a trip. I kept seeing the crown molding on the ceiling wiggle like a worm. Hilarious.

At home now, trying to control inflamation. The freezing is doing a good job, but my abdomen is crying out. It feels like I need to take a burning piss, but I know it's just the stuff up there angry at being tugged around.

People mention the smell of cauterization. It smelled just like burning hair to me. Nothing too crazy.

Kinda uneventful, to be quite honest. Suspect that's the ativan talking, but I feel chill af.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Kinda uneventful, to be quite honest.

Today I'm 2 weeks past mine and this was 100% my experience even without the Valium. VERY little discomfort, no real pain, no swelling, no lingering pain etc. Though I've heard that's not super common, so I feel lucky

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Nice. Time to start researching docs for the reversal!

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

The only pain specifically from the vasectomy that I ended up feeling was from the ends of the dissolving stitches that poked out and rubbed into my underwear. Outside of that, nothing sore and the incision site closed up very quickly.

I do hear that some men end up with recurring soreness or even pain that lasts chronically, but it's been nearly two years and I haven't noticed a single thing.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Thesaurus posted:

Nice. Time to start researching docs for the reversal!

Lol, no thanks. One kid is enough for me

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

About six hours post-op, and honestly things are just a dull ache. I had to go downstairs for a new ice pack, and that felt like a perilous journey. I didn't injur myself, but I could easily tell that it would just take one wrong move to put myself in a world of hurt. It did ache a bit more after, though.

Was a little nervous about going pee. But like everything you do right after surgery, as long as you take it easy it's all good.

Slimy Hog posted:

Lol, no thanks. One kid is enough for me

Honestly if there was a doc who would have let me do this in my early twenties, I would have. It's hard enough supporting yourself these days, much less several human beings.

edit: ugh, Ativan posting is bad posting.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 24, 2023

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Coming off 24 hours, and I'm basically in no pain.

I've made an effort to just lay in bed and avoid doing anything besides go to the bathroom. I took a shower this morning, which was the big event. I have a couple dozen Ensure meal replacement bottles beside me so I can stay fed without getting up. I think I'm going to discontinue acetaminophen but keep up with ibuprophen for the next couple days to control swelling.

I regrettably have not been doing as much icing as they told me to, which I'm going to correct right now so I don't cause problems for myself later.

I don't want to overdo it, but at this rate I'm probably going to crack open my laptop tomorrow and start working from home. I don't see why I can't be back in the office on Monday. Hopefully I'm not lulling myself into a false sense of security.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 12, 2023

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Coming off 24 hours, and I'm basically in no pain.

I've made an effort to just lay in bed and avoid doing anything besides go to the bathroom. I took a shower this morning, which was the big event. I have a couple dozen Ensure meal replacement bottles beside me so I can stay fed without getting up. I think I'm going to discontinue acetaminophen but keep up with ibuprophen for the next couple days to control swelling.

I regrettably have not been doing as much icing as they told me to, which I'm going to correct right now so I don't cause problems for myself later.

I don't want to overdo it, but at this rate I'm probably going to crack open my laptop tomorrow and start working from home. I don't see why I can't be back in the office on Monday. HopefullybI'm not lulling myself into a false sense of security.

I felt the same way, didn't take any pain medicine and saw zero swelling; so when my doctor called 24 hours later I asked "can I stop icing", they were like "just in case keep doing it, it won't hurt but stopping now could mean you start swelling".

So non-medical my advice is "just in case, keep icing/staying in bed etc"

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Coming on 48 hrs, no lingering pain.

I became a cocky little poo poo and did some laundry. After I sat at my computer for a bit, and I don't know how else to describe this, but it felt like my left vas started burning, so I decided ayup, that's enough for today and laid back down with some ice.

Guess I'll try working from home tomorrow.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Five days post-op, and things are starting to get back to "normal". The last of the surgical glue fell off, and thank gently caress for that. It was getting very scratchy, and it kept getting caught on things. Gotta keep using polysporin for at least a couple more days. Still got to be a little careful walking and sitting, but much less so than a few days prior. Had sex a bit sooner than the instructions said to. There was soreness/tenderness after, but otherwise no problems. No blood in the ejaculate like they warned might happen.

Also, athletic/supportive underwear was a drat godsend. I'm glad I bought five pairs of them. I lost track of the amount of times that my balls would fall out of the pouch, and the immense sense of relief when I found a private place where I could readjust and put them back in there.

I'm able to move around and do a lot more now. I'm sure the general surgeon had a lot to do with my speedy recovery. The only downside is I realized I timed this shittily, and can't do any heavy lifting until mid-August, so I'll miss most of camping season. Ah well. Looking forward to the negative sample around halloween.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
I didn't get any blood in my ejaculate until my sixth or seven orgasm (after waiting a full seven days for recovery) and even then, it was definitely old stuff and was pretty low in quantity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

I never experienced that at all, but my urologist had me wait four weeks.