Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I took my husband to get his in 2016 I think? So he would have been 33 at the time. He had it done at a military hospital in North Carolina. Compared to my experiences with reproductive healthcare it was stunningly easy. He walked into urology, they said "U sure, bro?" he signed a couple of papers and had an appointment the next week. He was nervous as hell in the waiting room, but they gave him some good drugs because half an hour later he came out with a huge grin on his face and told all the dudes waiting "Guys! It's not that bad! It's really easy!" I poured him into the car and took him home. As far as recovery, he stayed on the couch for about a day before getting bored and going back to work. No pain besides just soreness from the incision.

If you're sure you don't want kids, getting snipped is the best thing you can do for yourself and your partner(s). I don't have the numbers, but getting a vasectomy is almost definitely safer than pretty much any form of female birth control. Hormones mess with a lot of women and raise your cancer risk. IUDs are extremely painful, (especially if you've never given birth) usually done with absolutely no anesthetic, and tend to migrate. Even if you tolerate them well they have to be replaced every 3-7 years. Surgical sterilization for women is major abdominal surgery requiring anesthesia with all the attendant risks.

Things have changed a lot in the last few years and vasectomies are easier to get with fewer doctors putting arbitrary restrictions on age or number of children. Most of the stories you hear about medical gatekeeping for men are either apocryphal or a decade or more old. When you compare the risks, benefits and hassle to the sort of things that women are gleefully subjected to in the name of controlling our fertility, it's really a no-brainer. I certainly don't mean to downplay anyone's apprehension about the risks- informed consent is important and chronic ball pain sounds like a real bad time. But as someone who went through two unnecessary abdominal surgeries, two IUD insertions, and whose lifetime cancer risk was raised to a level where I have to have either a mammogram or an MRI every 6 months for the rest of my life, to say nothing of the "normal" stuff caused by birth control like weight gain, mood swings, acne, bleeding for months on end, debilitating cramping, etc, I'd encourage you (again, only if you're sure you don't want to father children) to consider a vasectomy in that context.

Someday we'll get to a point where doctors believe and respect young women and cases like mine are rare, but in the meantime, thanks to those of you who choose to step up and do what you can!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU