Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
The more that I read through the next quest the more that I'm starting to feel like I'm doing a lot of things that I really don't need to be doing in this quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

In this video, Thidney starts off with a visit to the town of Minar Tragedy and annoys the locals. This is a place where if you didn't pick up a couple of items previously then you will get into an unavoidable fail state. That's if you manage to get past the previous area, where the game dicks you over and gives you a vague hint if you don't do something that I prepared without any context beforehand: You get beaten up and called a fool for going into the palace unarmed and that's about it, how you're supposed to figure out that you need to get a sword baked in bread is beyond me.

The last third of the video is mainly about travelling to another location but I stop at a couple of places on the way and venture through some dangerous terrain. I wasn't expecting three characters to be standing where they were towards the end of the video, it spooked me that they were there and spooked me again when one of them started walking over towards Thidney. I'll try to get a closer look at the other two in the next update but I have a feeling that I may not have enough time.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 1, 2022

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I admit, I chuckled at the shirley joke

Also, I hoped there would be some good ribbing of americans in the guard dialogue but I think they just used new york accents

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Thidney meets a guard dog, goes to a town that is made backwards and then kicks the crap out of a cat.

sb hermit posted:

I admit, I chuckled at the shirley joke

Also, I hoped there would be some good ribbing of americans in the guard dialogue but I think they just used new york accents

In some ways, I'm quite thankful that the stereotyping and accents aren't as prominent as they could be.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Some of these puzzles don't make sense, and the solutions seem downright sociopathic.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Curious to learn what we do with the corpse of the High Steward, or why we even wanted to kill him, since I never figured that out as a kid and, unless I missed it, I don't think we've seen that yet.

Also is there really no other way than to kill that cat nine times? That feels like a backup solution but... I know this game is too loving stupid to really have multiple solutions to things.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

kw0134 posted:

Some of these puzzles don't make sense, and the solutions seem downright sociopathic.

PurpleXVI posted:

Curious to learn what we do with the corpse of the High Steward, or why we even wanted to kill him, since I never figured that out as a kid and, unless I missed it, I don't think we've seen that yet.

Also is there really no other way than to kill that cat nine times? That feels like a backup solution but... I know this game is too loving stupid to really have multiple solutions to things.

All three quests share a lot of the same puzzles which I'm guessing was done to cut down time and effort for the developers. There are differences in the quests as each one does come with several new characters and puzzles. It's just that the results for some of the shared puzzles differ depending on the quest that you're doing. Unfortunately, the guides that I've found for this game pretty much all tell you to do the same thing but IF the result is A then do B. It's confusing as hell at times and it seems like I've been doing quests purely because they are there and not because they're going to be beneficial to the quest that I'm currently doing.

For example:

Killing the High Steward, something that can be done in all three quests, but his remains contain an item in only one of the quests.
What was the purpose of getting our hair\wig cut? An extra item appears afterwards in another quest.
The water wheel? It serves no purpose in this quest but is useful in another quest.

I'm learning as I go and I'm learning from fumbling about in this game. I had some free time last night and decided to play some more. The main guide told me to open up another pathway from the east side of the map to the west to circumvent Kalibre Pass. This pathway goes through the mountains and is full of powerful and aggressive characters that walk around in closed spaces, there's also a safe space with a puzzle that is mandatory to solve if you want to survive when you exit to the other side of the shortcut. But after doing this I was told by the guide that this way was completely unnecessary as Kalibre Pass is the safer route and at this point in time it was entirely optional. There is more significance to doing this in another quest but I wasted ten minutes of my time doing this because the guide went through several steps of getting through it even though it was pointless to this particular quest.

This quest will probably be over in the next couple of updates. The next quest will go quicker as Sha-ron as I'll be cutting out the scenery prompts unless I missed anything in this quest, although there are a few locations that we haven't seen during the current quest so I may poke around them a little. The third quest will have pretty much all of the crap cut out of it and I'll try to keep it to the bare minimum.

Edit: I've also found out that even if you piss off characters with quest items to the point that they disappear or stop talking to you, the item will appear in the shop in Minar Tragedy so you can still complete the game. You just have to pay for it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Edit: I've also found out that even if you piss off characters with quest items to the point that they disappear or stop talking to you, the item will appear in the shop in Minar Tragedy so you can still complete the game. You just have to pay for it.

This is far more merciful than I would have expected of KoM. I'd have predicted Dead Man Walking scenarios around every corner.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

This is far more merciful than I would have expected of KoM. I'd have predicted Dead Man Walking scenarios around every corner.

There are a few of those, unfortunately. I don't know what the difference is between putting the remains in a paper bag or into your inventory in general but without that bag, it's game over.

This probably isn't the place to say it but SSLPs are my bedtime reading material and I enjoyed your Albion and Wizards & Warriors LPs. After catching up with a few others I've started Betrayal At Krondor, I played the hell out of it when I was younger but never finished it. I'm tempted to start playing it again.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

This probably isn't the place to say it but SSLPs are my bedtime reading material and I enjoyed your Albion and Wizards & Warriors LPs. After catching up with a few others I've started Betrayal At Krondor, I played the hell out of it when I was younger but never finished it. I'm tempted to start playing it again.

Whether or not it's the place to say it, it's super appreciated! Sometimes when making LP's it's easy to feel like you're just filling space and to be unsure of whether your work is being noticed or enjoyed at all, so having it confirmed that it isn't just wasted time is the sort of thing that keeps me going and writing more.

And while Betrayal of Krondor may not have aged entirely "gracefully," I feel like it's one of those games that are absolutely still playable even in the modern era. It largely holds up.

There are a few of those, unfortunately. I don't know what the difference is between putting the remains in a paper bag or into your inventory in general but without that bag, it's game over.

Not surprised there are some, are there any others that you could've stumbled into so far? Because I suspect that hitting a few of those might be part of why I could never complete the game when I was younger.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

Not surprised there are some, are there any others that you could've stumbled into so far? Because I suspect that hitting a few of those might be part of why I could never complete the game when I was younger.

I've just completed a test run for the next update and it turns out that there is a valid reason for killing the High Steward. When we killed him originally it was unprompted and it made no logical sense apart from the fact that he was being a dick. I haven't got the time tonight to go back in and look for a prompt as it means loading up an old save and replaying up until this point again (with bypassing the trip to Minar tragedy). It shouldn't take too long if I skip the dialogue and rush through it to see what happens, if there is a prompt I might save it for the next quest.

So far, the death of the High Steward is the only place I've found where death is inevitable if you haven't brought the proper object with you. There are a lot of stupid deaths but a lot of them can be avoided. The death by dialogue choices is something that can't be avoided at times as there is one conversation that I know of where you die if you're nice to someone, but you could load up an old save and then just avoid those particular choices.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Thidney goes to someone on the day of their daughter's wedding, attends a show by a living legend and then possibly kills someone who is just trying to poop.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The Palantiri were seeing-stones in Lord of the Rings. I've seen references to them in other games, most notably Zork. The idea seems to be that if you look into one of the stones, you can see out through a different stone, so you'd probably want to keep one in a dark, enclosed space if you had it, to prevent people from spying on you when you aren't actively using it to spy on them.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Nidoking posted:

The Palantiri were seeing-stones in Lord of the Rings. I've seen references to them in other games, most notably Zork. The idea seems to be that if you look into one of the stones, you can see out through a different stone, so you'd probably want to keep one in a dark, enclosed space if you had it, to prevent people from spying on you when you aren't actively using it to spy on them.

Thank you for clarifying this. That also explains why we're meant to he keeping it in the box. I did walk around with it in the open but nothing different seemed to change. But that might be because I had already killed the High Steward, so I'm guessing that hiding it away had become redundant at this point.

Edit: I'll definitely be doing things differently in the next quest to see if I can get different results.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

kw0134 posted:

this, but for this update as well!

I dunno how evil that wizard could be, but it's still a terrible way to go

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

sb hermit posted:

this, but for this update as well!

I dunno how evil that wizard could be, but it's still a terrible way to go

Now I know what I'm doing and the order of some of these things I'm going to go about things in a different manner in the next quest. I'll speak to him before I kill him temporarily move him to another location.

I haven't explored the game world 100% yet, something that I intend to do in the next quest. There's a lift next to Minar Tragedy and it looks like it's either going to be certain death or used in another quest.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The last video of this quest is going to be a short one. I keep forgetting that the aim of this quest is to rescue\kill the dragon and I really wasn't expecting the way that things turned out.

I need to experiment more with the spells in the next quest as I believe that I only used two in this one.

Edit: The lift is indeed certain death. I may record some extra content at the end.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 6, 2022

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So now I'm curious, why do we not want to talk to the fairy? Is it instant death like being nice to the granny?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

So now I'm curious, why do we not want to talk to the fairy? Is it instant death like being nice to the granny?

I've just finished a test run to start off the next quest, the fairy starts off in the same screen as us so I'll make sure that talking to it is the first thing that I do. It's not instant death but it's still not too pleasant. Sha-ron only has 80 hit points which means I will be using the inns a lot more often anyway, especially early on with all the Ringwraiths walking around. I'll post the final part of the first quest tomorrow night.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the final part of "The Good, Old Fashioned, Traditional Quest". Up next is "The Bizarre & Slightly Twisted Quest" with Sha-ron.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

This is the final part of "The Good, Old Fashioned, Traditional Quest". Up next is "The Bizarre & Slightly Twisted Quest" with Sha-ron.

Hmm, seeing as how that quest was described as

quote:

The Good, Old Fashioned, Traditional Quest: We need to rescue the dragon, steal the princess and kill the treasure.

I am hardly surprised that this was not actually played straight in the slightest.

I didn't even think there are any princesses in this game.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.
The old woman would also star in some other SCI games, including a biblical series, I think... I recall running into her a few times on those.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

That ending felt out of left field as hell. It wasn't just me, right? Was it even hinted at earlier that the Elven Gift Voucher could be used to pay for a mob hit?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Melaneus posted:

The old woman would also star in some other SCI games, including a biblical series, I think... I recall running into her a few times on those.

I'm quite surprised that they went through with including her in other games. I only ever knew SCI for their Carmageddon series but they released a lot of games over the years.

PurpleXVI posted:

That ending felt out of left field as hell. It wasn't just me, right? Was it even hinted at earlier that the Elven Gift Voucher could be used to pay for a mob hit?

I really wasn't expecting that ending at all, especially with the build-up towards it but most of the crap that I did in that quest barely had anything to do with it. The only hint that we had was a gift voucher for a "Warrant O' Death" that was given to us by an elf. I went back into the game to see if I could talk to another elf and to see if using the voucher on another elf would work, I didn't get anything extra out of it.

I'm going to start the next quest tomorrow. Now I, somewhat, know what I'm doing I'm going to try to keep to the task at hand as much as possible. I will swing by to pick up the Palantire Stone at some point and try to use it with the High Steward still alive.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

I'm quite surprised that they went through with including her in other games. I only ever knew SCI for their Carmageddon series but they released a lot of games over the years.

Carmageddon! That was the game series.

Wait. This series isn't biblical at all!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The Bizarre & Slightly Twisted Quest

This is the first part of our new quest. I'm going to try to avoid unnecessary things in this quest (Apart from the Palantine Stone), it helps now I know a little more about what I'm doing. I will have to repeat some puzzles but I will do my best to try some different options to get some different outcomes (For example: I could have bought a wig before going into The Parting Co. to circumvent the baldness and to save some money). As it turns out that this quest requires you to actually do some of the puzzles that we did in the first quest, it's just that this time around we will get a useful result from doing it. This video is centred in and around Flake Town but there are some noticeable changes and a couple of new people who are now available to talk to.

This time around I will be playing as Sha-ron, who was one of the reasons why I held off from LP'ing this game straight off the back of Ace Ventura. It's nice being able to play as a female protagonist but this is a mid-90s comedy game, her costume and animations have not aged well at all.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I honestly expected worse. Thank you for planning out this LP to minimize the less desireable content.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This recording was very messy, I honestly thought I was going to die twice between the third and sixth minute and it threw me off for a while afterwards. In my initial test run and a follow up there were only two Ringwraiths down a particular route but when it came to recording it turns out that the game had other plans. This video starts out with new content but it's mostly getting through the puzzles on the West side as quickly as possible. I initially decided to do the puzzles on the West side in order to test out the Palantine stone but it turns out that we actually do need it and we do need to kill the High Steward again, something I didn't realise until I did a test run for the third update. I've also noticed that my mic fritzes out a couple of times during this recording, apologies for that.

The next update is most likely going to be a very messy one too. In the first quest, I had the luxury of the NPC's taking on most of the Ringwraiths while I took my time. The next update will possibly involve taking on more as well and definitely involve taking on several orcs.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Huh, so, I kind of expected Sha-ron to be really bad, like I expected some wild misogyny or something, but she's actually more tolerable than Thidney because it feels like she's actually there to solve things rather than attempting to do bad comedy improv in every conversation.

Also, the weapons, do they actually make a notable difference compared to each other if you get into a fistfight? I don't feel like this is the sort of game that deigns to actually give you any hard numbers.

And I'm kind of surprised, first run through basically every Ringwraith got owned by an elf, this time it feels like you're having to blast all of them yourself.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

Huh, so, I kind of expected Sha-ron to be really bad, like I expected some wild misogyny or something, but she's actually more tolerable than Thidney because it feels like she's actually there to solve things rather than attempting to do bad comedy improv in every conversation.

Also, the weapons, do they actually make a notable difference compared to each other if you get into a fistfight? I don't feel like this is the sort of game that deigns to actually give you any hard numbers.

And I'm kind of surprised, first run through basically every Ringwraith got owned by an elf, this time it feels like you're having to blast all of them yourself.

I do prefer Sha-ron over Thidney but I will leave it up to a poll for people to decide who we get to see in the third quest. The next update, which I plan to record tomorrow night, is most likely going to be the penultimate one as it will put us near to the end of it.

There's nothing in the manual and as far as I'm aware there's nothing in-game that gives us an idea about numbers. I'm not entirely sure where I could find the raw data in the game files, I've had a bit of a poke around but I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. I'll have to do it manually when I have some free time over the next few days.

The Ringwraiths don't seem to be able to enter the towns. I was taking my time exploring each town in the first quest which gave the elves more time to give them a beating. I'm rushing around in this quest which means I either face them and save some time or hide away in the towns and wait.

The game itself lists the "Bizarre" quest as the second quest but the manual lists it as the third which is interesting to note. I don't believe that there is a specific order that we should be doing them but my intention was to work may way through them in the order that the game was presenting them to me.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I wasn't expecting to see anything like this when I woke up this morning:

I need to take some time to think of a reply.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I wasn't expecting to see anything like this when I woke up this morning:

I need to take some time to think of a reply.

:vince:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Huh, I kind of expected this game to be a career funeral for all involved, but she has a huge CV including a bunch of roles I really loved.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is a mixture of new content as well as the business involving the High Steward. Sha-ron visits a couple of new locations in this video, one at the start with a unique weapon and another later on which I could have shown in the first quest. I was expecting this video to be messier but I lucked out with the Ringwraiths and the Orcs at the Wizard's castle, even though I was using cheap tactics I came off better than I did during the test run. There are several badly placed day and night transitions in this video which are partly down to how it's timed in the game and also the need to rest at a couple of inns. This video also contains a visit to the Wizard before we kill him followed by the assassination of the High Steward. We do need to get rid of the Wizard as there is an item in his study that we need.

I've started a straw poll so people can vote for who they want to see in the third quest as the next update is going to be the last one for this quest: https://www.strawpoll.me/46100954

I'll work something out involving the weapons before the week is over.

PurpleXVI posted:

Huh, I kind of expected this game to be a career funeral for all involved, but she has a huge CV including a bunch of roles I really loved.

John Sessions was huge before this game came out, this game probably didn't even make a dent in his reputation.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I guess you need to specifically use the paper bag so both the bag and its contents are biodegradeable. :v:

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

PurpleXVI posted:

It has been fun hearing all her voicework in Jade Star's 'XCOM 2: War of the Chosen' playthrough.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

EricFate posted:

It has been fun hearing all her voicework in Jade Star's 'XCOM 2: War of the Chosen' playthrough.

My biggest surprise was that she voiced the Sea Emperor from Subnautica.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I have recorded the final video for this quest but I'll wait until tomorrow to post it. Absolutely 0 people voted in the poll so I'll be starting the next quest with Sha-Ron.

I have a rare free night without any childcare in the morning so I'm going to relax and enjoy a couple of brandy and cokes. I've just started a new game with Sha-ron in our current quest and have filled up her inventory with spells and weapons by using cheats. The main guide that I'm using has listed a couple of weapons in the cheat section but hasn't mentioned where we can find them in the game. I did consider recording a video but I'm not sure how that would be easier than just listing the stats directly.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The stats for each weapon and spell seem to rely on RNG. I tested each of these at least half a dozen times until I got a good idea of their range. Each of these stats is the minimum and maximum amount of damage that I was able to record during this time and they are most likely not the exact numbers, you can probably round some of them up and\or down slightly:

Fist Of The Western Star: 2-9
Dagger: 2-10
Aluminium Baseball Bat: 3-13
Wand O' Cattle Prodding: 16-19
Comedy Mallet: 13-20
Sword O Much Greatness: 13-28
Sock With A Cricket Ball: 7-35
Dirty Great Axe: 29-40
Sabre O' Light: 23-49
Texas Instrument: 31-50

Kick In The Shins: 6-15
Wizbang: 26
Airstrike: 76-95

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I have recorded the final video for this quest but I'll wait until tomorrow to post it. Absolutely 0 people voted in the poll so I'll be starting the next quest with Sha-Ron.

I have a rare free night without any childcare in the morning so I'm going to relax and enjoy a couple of brandy and cokes. I've just started a new game with Sha-ron in our current quest and have filled up her inventory with spells and weapons by using cheats. The main guide that I'm using has listed a couple of weapons in the cheat section but hasn't mentioned where we can find them in the game. I did consider recording a video but I'm not sure how that would be easier than just listing the stats directly.

I remember voting for sha-ron. I recall that the numbers stayed at zero after I voted, but I figure it was to hide results from visitors. Not sure why my vote wasn't recorded.