Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

sb hermit posted:

I remember voting for sha-ron. I recall that the numbers stayed at zero after I voted, but I figure it was to hide results from visitors. Not sure why my vote wasn't recorded.

That's really weird, thank you for letting me know. I wonder if there was a bug somewhere in the system as it's still showing 0 votes to me. There were no options to hide votes, this was what I was presented with:

All I did was edit the question and poll options. I'll take a quick vote here to end Sunday night if anyone wants to weigh in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

sb hermit posted:

I remember voting for sha-ron. I recall that the numbers stayed at zero after I voted, but I figure it was to hide results from visitors. Not sure why my vote wasn't recorded.

Same here!

The combat stats are also interesting, for Sha-Ron new weapons make a big difference, for Thidney, barely any except for the best couple.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
I know from voting in ZEN that the polls sometimes refuse to work. The solution was to just switch to a different polling platform to render the issue moot.

I voted Sha-ron as well, so it seems like that was the winning choice anyway.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

This is the final update for "The Bizarre & Slightly Twisted Quest". My only regret is that I didn't use the new spell that we picked up as it came with its own video.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

This quest seems much less bizarre and slightly twisted than the first quest.

Which, I guess, is part of the humor.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

sb hermit posted:

This quest seems much less bizarre and slightly twisted than the first quest.

Which, I guess, is part of the humor.

The ending to the previous quest was a lot more bizarre than this one. I did like how they presented the Dark Lord as some doddering old fogey instead of the usual old tropes. I've just started a test run of the third quest and am making notes to plan ahead. There is going to be some repetition but I'm going to do my best to go about things differently where I can. I'm only about ten minutes in and haven't left Flake Town, there are going to be several noticeable differences and a couple of new characters even this early on.

If no one has any objections, I want to use a cheat to get the airstrike spell so I can show it off at some point.

Edit: I've learnt that there's another way to get the Disco King to come outside that's less misogynistic.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 16, 2022

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

no objections from me!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Is there a complete list of the voice actors? I’m sure Pinhed is voiced by Paul Darrow of Blakes 7 fame, but I don’t see the game listed on his Wikipedia or IMDB…

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I swear, the end of these always feel like someone ran out of time and they just had to jam in a solution from the remaining parts they had lying around.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The Magnificent 7-11 Quest

Welcome to the second third and final quest. We need to find between 7 and 11 characters to recruit to help us against an upcoming invasion. I currently know seven characters that we can recruit, two of them we have met before but I will do my best to hunt for more. There is going to be a repetition of actions from the previous two quests and I will do my best to mitigate that as much as possible. I will also be doing my best to try out different dialogue with characters where I can (I really didn't want to be mean to Terrence, although looking back now it would mean that I didn't have to do that bloody mini-game!). This video is mostly going about our business in Flake Town and it ends with a trip to the Gorgon's lair. There are a few changes in Flake Town as we get to meet a couple of new characters and there is a brand new puzzle to solve, but it's mostly similar to what you've seen before with the exception of alternate dialogue and letting Sha-ron let her hair down in the Hall O' Dancing.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Zaroff posted:

Is there a complete list of the voice actors? I’m sure Pinhed is voiced by Paul Darrow of Blakes 7 fame, but I don’t see the game listed on his Wikipedia or IMDB…

I took a screenshot of the credits but forgot to upload it before heading to bed. I'll post it tomorrow.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Zaroff posted:

I can't find a complete list of voice actors but there are a few people mentioned in the credits and manual. Paul Darrow isn't listed in the credits it's plausible that he was Pinhead and remained uncredited for the role. He starred in another Fergus McNeill game released in the same year as Kingdom O' Magic called Gender Wars, so he could easily have recorded a few extra lines on the side.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

another Fergus McNeill game released in the same year as Kingdom O' Magic called Gender Wars,

Hahaha, Christ, I actually played that game.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Wow, I remember reading a review of Gender Wars in a Danish gaming magazine. Well, vaguely remember. I just thought the screenshots looked really cool in an X-Com sort of way, and was really disappointed that apparently it was boring as poo poo.

Come to think of it, I vaguely remember the review of Kingdom O' Magic was quite similar in that regard...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'd say that Gender Wars was absolutely a better game. It was an isometric squad-based shooter with tactical elements and some degree of puzzle-solving. It definitely had better, and more, gameplay than Kingdom O' Magic and didn't require a severe head injury to understand the game's logic.

The "comedy" was also thankfully mostly limited to short segments at the start and end of each mission rather than constantly interrupting every action you considered taking.

Of course, no idea how well it held up, it's entirely possible that if I tried it now I'd retch.

Also kind of funny that both people in the thread who apparently have some memories of that game are Danish. :v:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

:doh: I didn't realise that the title of the first Shah-ron video had autocorrected the name to Sharon. I'd been reusing the title but amending the video number or quest title. I've corrected it now but it's a little embarrassing knowing that Lani Minella saw those titles.

I've completed a rough practise run for the next video. I'm going to add two spells to my inventory and I'm tempted to add the Little Yellow Fellow so I can avoid the mini-game.

Edit: I also get hold of a Thermal Detonator that you can use as a weapon. Using it means instant death to the enemy, it also means instant death to you too

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I do like the idea of the 7-11 quest and... it feels like it might have a slightly more sane solution than the other two?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

I do like the idea of the 7-11 quest and... it feels like it might have a slightly more sane solution than the other two?

It's a lot more straightforward in what to do. We still need to get through many of the staple puzzles but there seems to be more variety in the game world.

I've recorded another video which I'll post tonight. The test run went very smoothly last night but trying to record this morning was very messy and I had to restart several times. Either I was swarmed by too many enemies or managed okay but then bumped into one wandering enemy too many. It seemed like the record button was a calling siren for every hostile being to descend my way at once.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Shah-ron manages to recruit three people to her cause. Two of the recruits were relatively straightforward, the first recruit was an old friend and the third recruit joined us simply by asking them. The second recruit was where things got messy and I'm starting to think I should have waited until later in the game when the world became a little less populated. I didn't realise until trying to record this update that Ringwraiths are capable of entering the chasm, I had to restart several times as I had to deal with them as well as the orcs and just got overwhelmed. The Ringwraiths also weren't as close as this in my practice run so I had more room to manoeuvre. I got lucky during this recording, especially with evading some of the wandering enemies.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

In this video, Shah-ron manages to recruit three people to her cause. Two of the recruits were relatively straightforward, the first recruit was an old friend and the third recruit joined us simply by asking them. The second recruit was where things got messy and I'm starting to think I should have waited until later in the game when the world became a little less populated. I didn't realise until trying to record this update that Ringwraiths are capable of entering the chasm, I had to restart several times as I had to deal with them as well as the orcs and just got overwhelmed. The Ringwraiths also weren't as close as this in my practice run so I had more room to manoeuvre. I got lucky during this recording, especially with evading some of the wandering enemies.

It looks like a lot of the ringwraiths were more considerate in this run. Shah-ron seems to run into a lot more close calls than Thidney.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

the first recruit was an old friend

I can't help but see Kirk the Goatman (rip in peace) in this role. Given the kind of humor in this game, he would have fit right in.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

sb hermit posted:

It looks like a lot of the ringwraiths were more considerate in this run. Shah-ron seems to run into a lot more close calls than Thidney.

I'm not sure how the mechanics work with them to be honest. It seems like they are less inclined to trigger if we are moving, they're more likely to talk than attack but sometimes we can get away without either happening. They seem to become a lot more aggressive when we are standing still.

Thidney has almost twice the health of Shah-ron which means that he is able to take a few more hits. The main issue that I'm having with Shah-ron is that I'm trying to speed-run through her quests instead of taking my time. Which means that I don't have the luxury of the elves slowly killing off the Ringwraiths and making my life easier. Consequently they'll be waiting for me after I've had fun with the orcs at the chasm and Rhiteguard. I'm having issues with Rhiteguard at the moment in trying to deal with the orcs quickly and then taking a fireball from the Dark Lord as soon as I pull out the stone but I think that I've found a solution.

I didn't know there is a cellar in the Edam Inn and its just kind of blew my mind as its hidden so well. I'm not sure if it is in the first two quests as we have no need to go down there in either of them. If it wasn't for the guide I would never have known that it existed and I had to find a video to even locate where it actually is!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I love the pun-off with the Tree Bloke.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Shah-ron raids a wine cellar, offends the Don and then goes on a barrel ride. I recorded this and the finale back to back. I have nine days of holiday from work that starts this weekend and I'll be taking care of my youngest throughout it all. I wanted to record the final parts of this LP while I knew that I have some free time to do so, I'll upload the finale in a couple of day's time. I'll also work on a video of additional footage whenever I have a bit of free time in the evenings.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Goddamn, whoever placed the entryway to that cellar was a legitimate sadist.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

To be honest, I chuckled at the jokes at the Don's expense

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

also, making the choice to just absorb the damage without the duvet is probably the kind of choice you can only make in an adventure game that has hit points

it's quite clever, really

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the finale of Kingdom O' Magic! Thank you, everyone, for being a part of this LP. I was expecting this game to be a complete mess after recording the first video but it turned out to be surprisingly entertaining. I can see what they were trying to achieve with having three quests but they should have just made it into one long adventure game to cut down on the repetition of puzzles. This was on my list of adventure games to play when I was a kid but I was living in Germany when it was released and finding a copy was impossible. This game has flaws, but I've enjoyed it and I'm glad I could experience it in full. I appreciate all of your comments, advice and your presence throughout.

I will be recording some additional footage over the next few days which will most likely just be a death reel. I'm now on holiday from work so I'm not looking to start a new LP until things are back to normal, I'll still try to record more videos for the Broken Sword 2.5 playthrough. I was debating about starting up the long-delayed Star Trek action-adventure games but after a few sessions playing The Fallen, I've realised that I need to do some more preparation with it as it's not a very intuitive game, so I'll be putting it on the back burner for a little while. I have a long list of adventure games to get through and Fable (The 1996 adventure game) will probably be up next. I've been wanting to start an LP of The Space Bar for a long while now so that may follow soon after, I believe that I now have what I need to make it happen.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 23, 2022

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I think they really tried and I came around on the humor after this quest. It's quite endearing.

I get the impression that they only had 7 heroes because the last scene is pre-rendered.

I wonder if they had plans for a minigame to defend the town with each hero's special ability but it was scrapped due to budget.

I half thought that Krystal was going to be one of the heroes but instead I remembered that Konrad needed the paper.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The game reeks of intended mechanics that were not implemented, I wish we could get more information on the game code.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

That almost looked like the Brotherhood of Nod logo on the grannies' flags.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Okay now you got my attention :shepspends:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Video: Some Additional Footage & Death Scenes

This compilation will be the last update to the LP, I've tried to be thorough with this but it's entirely likely that I've missed some things. I've put together footage of several cutscenes that we didn't see in the main playthrough as well as a couple of interesting things that I found. The timestamps are in the video and I've given them all titles:

Getting Arrested - It's possible to get arrested by the policeman although it doesn't last for long.
The Wigmeister - Another cutscene involving The Wigmeister.
Half A Hint - The cutscene that you get if you only pay 1 gold coin.
Hiya Karate - A cutscene that I was reluctant to show in the main playthrough, partly because I'm unsure how stereotypical this is and partly because he kicks the crap out of you afterwards.
Unarmed At Minar Tragedy - This is what happens if you visit the High Steward without the sword baked in bread.
Palantire Stone Advertisements - I believe that two of these were seen in the main playthrough but I thought that I'd include all three of them together.
Orc Discrimination - If you walk around in the open while wearing the orc disguise you will be relentlessly pursued by an angry mob who will kill you as soon as they catch up with you. I haven't tested this out in the chasm.

It's likely that I've missed out on something but I've recorded all of the death scenes that I could find in the game. I've tried to keep them unique, I've left out being killed in combat or by a wandering spell as the result of them goes straight to the coffin scene. These scenes involve:

Being Nice To Granny, Returning To The Dragon, Gorgon Valley Without Protection, Barrel Riding Without Protection, Floor 3, Encountering The Behemoth, Trespassing In The Barrow, Sudden Death, Entering The Upper Sanctum and Ending On A Song.

Thank you again for watching! I'll be submitting this to the archive shortly but baldurk seems to be very busy at the moment so it may take a while to make its way on there. Fable will be up next, I'm hoping to start it up within the next week.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Good luck with Fable. As someone who actually knows what's in store for you, I don't envy you the task ahead. Although it wasn't as bad as I remembered.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I would any day of the week rather play Fable than Kingdom O' Magic. It's largely a functional game that I remember as... mostly enjoyable to play? The only part I genuinely loathed was the goddamn narrator.

gently caress you! gently caress my combat multiplier!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Fable is another game that I was fully aware of in my youth but never got a chance to play. I've managed to get the windows version working on PCem and after a short test run it seems like it's going to be fairly enjoyable. I'm aware of the save game bug which doesn't seem to be present in this version. The only thing that I am unaware of is which version I have, I need to find out how I can check, so I don't know which ending we are going to get.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

PurpleXVI posted:

I would any day of the week rather play Fable than Kingdom O' Magic. It's largely a functional game that I remember as... mostly enjoyable to play? The only part I genuinely loathed was the goddamn narrator.

gently caress you! gently caress my combat multiplier!

Wroooooooong Fable :D That one is actually fun, and unlikely to drive you to self-harm. The earlier adventure, on the other hand...

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Oh my, I mentioned in the update of the finale that I'd be playing the 1996 adventure game called Fable. I probably should have reiterated and specified that it's not the RPG with the same name that was released in 2004.

I had considered doing an LP of the whole Fable trilogy at some point in the near future but someone recently started an LP of the first game, so I'm going to put it on the back burner for a while.

Fable (1996) and The Space Bar are up next. I'm going to try to practise more with The Fallen but I'm really not feeling it at the moment.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

You're not feeling it? YOU'RE NOT FEELING IT?! Well you better start feeling it!

Take it easy mang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Oh my, I mentioned in the update of the finale that I'd be playing the 1996 adventure game called Fable. I probably should have reiterated and specified that it's not the RPG with the same name that was released in 2004.

I had considered doing an LP of the whole Fable trilogy at some point in the near future but someone recently started an LP of the first game, so I'm going to put it on the back burner for a while.

Fable (1996) and The Space Bar are up next. I'm going to try to practise more with The Fallen but I'm really not feeling it at the moment.

Fable (1996) is giving me some real "ms-dos kings quest but svga" vibes. I hope you have fun!