Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder if he was trying to go down in history books with his stunt or something.

Kinda doubt he will. What a strange series of events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

:wtf:

Has the planning document been posted (either by GDQ or the runner himself)?

rox
Sep 7, 2016

https://clips.twitch.tv/EasyLuckyTrollTinyFace-07H-XA8_njA5JdGs

hmm

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

LOL he even says it outright.

"Uhm... can we not use this? It seems that the video I have done is the fastest one"

I guess no one could connect the dots and just thought it's his broken english or something.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

SeXReX posted:

There was a very good service dog on site who every drunk person was devastated about not being able to freely pet.

I had lunch with Willow and she was a very, very good friend.

Also lol on the MGR thing. What a weirdo

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TeaJay posted:

LOL he even says it outright.

"Uhm... can we not use this? It seems that the video I have done is the fastest one"

I guess no one could connect the dots and just thought it's his broken english or something.

i personally think it's more that the idea of splicing in footage for a speedrun at a charity event - an incentive speedrun, no less! - is such a weird loving decision that it's outside the scope of believability for most people

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Maybe he was trying to act like a Metal Gear villain as a bit

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the la li lu le lo...

rox
Sep 7, 2016

lol

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

what a dipshit

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

so that's what that weird speech at the end was about

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Why did he fess up to it?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
We may never know. Still a less interesting question than why did he do it at all.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

We may never know. Still a less interesting question than why did he do it at all.

I think the mods and others over at Revengeance Discord were already suspecting him so he decided to spill the beans himself first.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
In the end all they will have achieved is possibly loving over other hybrid events so gently caress him.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hunt11 posted:

In the end all they will have achieved is possibly loving over other hybrid events so gently caress him.

what is suspect they'll do is require much stricter verification of remote runners, like having had a run before at a GDQ, or having a substantial enough following outside of it that them dynamiting their reputation for fun will be significantly more impactful

it bigtime sucks for smaller runners but you definitely can't afford to have a repeat of a faked donation incentive like that in future GDQs

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

They've been doing remote runs thru the older GDQs and Fatales events for years and this is the first issue I know of with remote runs so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't really change much due to this.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
According to WaifuRuns, apparently Meka is a huge dick and known to pull poo poo like this in the speedrun communities he's part of

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Tarnishing the best and most perfect game, Metal Gear Rising, very sad.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The worst thing about GDQ this year was the guy in the Mario 64 run who kept pronouncing it "Bomb-Ob"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Flesnolk posted:

According to WaifuRuns, apparently Meka is a huge dick and known to pull poo poo like this in the speedrun communities he's part of

Yeah that sounds about right

Kotaku posted:

“Truth be told, that was a scummy thing to do,” Mekarazium now says on the issue of tricking the people who had donated. But he doesn’t seem to feel the same way about the rest of the stunt, instead claiming its deeper meaning is some sort of “puzzle to solve.”

“This is a taunt,” Mekarazium told Kotaku. “[A] taunt to every single person that watches speedrunning events and haven’t asked yourself some questions.” He criticized content makers for profiting off the work of speedrunners in exchange for free publicity, and GDC for putting its “brand needs” ahead of the community’s “passion,” saying the event will “take a massive hit to their image” for removing “one of the highly-rated runs that was well-received by everyone.”

[...]

“If you want to see some things change, there’s always [a] price to pay,” he said. “I am paying with my reputation of a marathon runner, a speedrunner, a commentator and a very passionate person to make others think about the things you’re ready to do in the name of said passion. So that others might change their opinion on the speedrunning as a whole.” He declined to elaborate further.

That's the kind of coherent, concise explanation you'd expect from somebody pulling a stunt like this.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

So the guy had a beef with GDQ getting too formal or something?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Nice personal best but what's your source? my source is i made it the gently caress up

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

JethroMcB posted:

Yeah that sounds about right

That's the kind of coherent, concise explanation you'd expect from somebody pulling a stunt like this.

Claims it was a last-second decision, had a manifesto speech prepared and the video assembled.
:thunk:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The "don't call it a world record" thing is listed as note on the video linked on speedrun.com (from the end of March) and it appears as a stream element when he finishes the run. How bizarre.
https://www.speedrun.com/mgrr/run/z0ovjnjz

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 6, 2022

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

quote:

Could you please use the term CBKTWPVVETFTRCBTSCOTSGAHBVAABSMOSSRCTACMOSGSL (Currently best known time with publically viewable video evidence that follows the rules created by the speedrun community of the specific game and has been verified and approved by select members of said speed running community that are considered moderators of said game speedrun leaderboard) in the future. This would help lower confusion
As we all know "world record" is a far more confusing term than a 45-letter acronym.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
dude just sounds like a weirdo lying shitbag to me

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

site posted:

dude just sounds like a weirdo lying shitbag to me

:emptyquote:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, sounds like a tool.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

weird shithead with a chip on his shoulder finally gets a chance to rant to the masses, does the worlds worst job of explaining what he's mad about

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"A taunt"
"A puzzle to solve"

Yeah this guy is a regular The Riddler, if The Riddler never gave Batman all the pieces he needed to solve his riddles and also never quite settled on what point he was trying to make in the first place.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Some real "has seen the joker dozens of times" energy.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I gave you all the clues uyama

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

The Mario Odyssey Darker Side run was a joy to watch from start to finish, incredible couch, runner, and host, and the movement was insanely consistent

Definitely my must-watch pick

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Beasteh posted:

The Mario Odyssey Darker Side run was a joy to watch from start to finish, incredible couch, runner, and host, and the movement was insanely consistent

Definitely my must-watch pick

Even the clapping was insanely consistent.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Will we use this thread for things like Flame Fatales and general between-marathon GDQ content?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Flesnolk posted:

Will we use this thread for things like Flame Fatales and general between-marathon GDQ content?
For that, I direct you to the regular speedrunning thread. Non-GDQ marathon-specific threads don't tend to see a lot of activity.

And this thread should probably be unstickied soon.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Edit: wrong thread

Joan fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 9, 2022

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I missed basically all of this live, I'm glad they've gotten much more consistent with their VOD youtube channel. I remember in the past it was... wonky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I didn't post in this thread cause I was too busy chatting in Discord. It was a good event! I'm still catching up via the Youtube uploads.

I recommend the FFX run for the late-night/early-morning manic energy. Runner and couch were very entertaining, and the run itself is solid.

JethroMcB posted:

"A taunt"
"A puzzle to solve"

Yeah this guy is a regular The Riddler, if The Riddler never gave Batman all the pieces he needed to solve his riddles and also never quite settled on what point he was trying to make in the first place.

It's in the same vein of people that claim "it was a social experiment!" which is just a step away from "it's just a prank, bro!"

They're all dipshits.