Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Okay it's not quite Monkey ball anymore.

Opening run had some nice energy and Shasta is always good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Vermain posted:

having in-person back is gonna be such a drat breath of fresh air, hell yeah

interesting choice of words friend

Rolled Out seems like a really cool game and a really cool run though, always nice to see spiritual successors like this

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I have absolutely no idea what the difference was between successfully completing that trick and the dozen failed attempts before it, but man it looks slick when it works.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

never been a big monkey ball person but the movement in this is pretty nice and i like the artstyle

definitely hyped for the ME1 run, i don't think i've ever seen it done any%

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Okay is it just me or is every single game you see advertised at GDQs just look like the worst sort of trash?

Like I remember from previous years it was super meat boy forever and some other auto-runners. And that one game that was like, specifically targeted at speedrunners or something? Cringe.

That cult of the lamb looks like made-by-committee middle of the road shovel ware, but maybe I'm just being negative.

cool runs so far tho.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The year is 2011. I’m watching GDQ. A portal opens and a figure steps out - it’s myself, 11 years older. “I’ve come from the future to tell you…” he says, and then lowers his voice for emphasis. “…One day, this event will be sponsored by Red Bull”.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Feels so weird for runners to explain the lore to Mass Effect but I guess there's a generation of gamers who have never played it.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
RIP Jenkins

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lmao good ashley sucks

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

RIP apes

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

this is pretty much exactly what i expected from a mass effect speedrun

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Agent355 posted:

Okay is it just me or is every single game you see advertised at GDQs just look like the worst sort of trash?

Like I remember from previous years it was super meat boy forever and some other auto-runners. And that one game that was like, specifically targeted at speedrunners or something? Cringe.

That cult of the lamb looks like made-by-committee middle of the road shovel ware, but maybe I'm just being negative.

cool runs so far tho.

CotL previews have been pretty positive. A lot of games advertised at GDQ have been junk though.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Mierenneuker posted:

Thursday (EU time)

Hulk
Hogan
Is
A
Piece
Of
poo poo

(HHIAPOS)

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Sheperd.

Wrex.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

god the mako is so awful lmao

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Vermain posted:

And it is still somehow the best Mass Effect vehicle lmao

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I love the Mako for the same reason I love ME1, it's such an indicator of their ambition outstretching what they could accomplish. The Mako was made by dreamers, and I can't hate the disaster it turned out because of it

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Vermain posted:

awful sweet

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Grondoth posted:

I love the Mako for the same reason I love ME1, it's such an indicator of their ambition outstretching what they could accomplish. The Mako was made by dreamers, and I can't hate the disaster it turned out because of it

i think the sour note ME3 ended on tends to overshadow how insanely ambitious - and largely successful - the original ME franchise was

there really isn't a parallel to the kind of sheer scale and scope of storytelling anywhere else in gaming and it's still impressive to look back on even years later

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lmfao, i changed my mind the mako owns

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

lmfao, i changed my mind the mako owns

these are some incredible cartoon physics on display

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

that mass effect run was fun and silly but kirby is what i've been looking forward to all day

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The commentator described the Mako as a bouncy castle on wheels and I think that was a very apt description.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

i know it's been said a few times already but SGDQ being back in person is great, it's just a way more interesting event with the runners in a room vs online.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Did they figure out a way to include some of the overseas stuff that got access when it went online? Is there a streaming block or something?

Edit: just because I've hit a node of "reading too much into things" in the last hour across my internet feed, I don't mean this as a dealbreaker or other subtext. I know that's a host of additional problems for an event that has plenty, just curious if they pulled it off.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Bruceski posted:

Did they figure out a way to include some of the overseas stuff that got access when it went online? Is there a streaming block or something?

There are a number of remote runs throughout the marathon.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

There are a number of remote runs throughout the marathon.

Neat.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

this looks fun as gently caress to speedrun

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Mister underscore Fasta

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

this looks fun as gently caress to speedrun

It can be, yeah. I find Kirbys in general have a really good flow to them when going fast. I watched Dangers do it a lot, he's my go-to for background noise chillstreams.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Are you ready for the obligatory Kirby final boss escalation?

(You are not ready for the obligatory Kirby final boss escalation.)

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
lol the Drink-Dealer Waddle Dee donation was mine haha yessss

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Boy, am I glad this is live again. I just could not get into the last few years. Can't wait to watch a bunch of this.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I love Dark Souls

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

LOL time is called when Kirby commits vehicular manslaughter.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I've never played a Kirby game, but I just watched this little puffball turn into a truck and kill God. This franchise is Good, Actually.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Pokemon snap up next, this is going to be good

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just now noticing the spacing between the chairs in the hall. Good on them, and for enforcing a mask policy.

I hope the venue was willing to play ball with the event staff for a good rate and lowered attendance expectations. A lot of event and convention venues are expecting things to be back to pre-pandemic numbers right away, and that's really unrealistic.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

bike tory posted:

Pokemon snap up next, this is going to be good

hell yeah it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

god I love Dayoman, immaculate energy from this dude