Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Did they figure out a way to include some of the overseas stuff that got access when it went online? Is there a streaming block or something?

Edit: just because I've hit a node of "reading too much into things" in the last hour across my internet feed, I don't mean this as a dealbreaker or other subtext. I know that's a host of additional problems for an event that has plenty, just curious if they pulled it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

There are a number of remote runs throughout the marathon.

Neat.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

this looks fun as gently caress to speedrun

It can be, yeah. I find Kirbys in general have a really good flow to them when going fast. I watched Dangers do it a lot, he's my go-to for background noise chillstreams.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Are you ready for the obligatory Kirby final boss escalation?

(You are not ready for the obligatory Kirby final boss escalation.)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The game starts with you going after your frog, so when UA killed the frog at level 7 someone hit the timer assuming it was done.

Whoever it was, you fixed it quickly but don't pretend nobody noticed.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I keep parsing that towel behind the Bonk plushie as hair and trying to figure out what game it's supposed to be from. Like it was a plushie of Bonk the Clown from somewhere.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Nemo2342 posted:

Heck, I’ve got friends who got Covid even with 3 shots. I don’t blame anyone who isn’t comfortable with a lot of public exposure right now and I’m glad that GDQ can still accommodate them.

As I learned when a friend's roommate died because another roommate lied about being vaxxed and then hid their Covid, the vaccine helps a lot against incidental contact but if you're in the petri dish like that there's a whole bunch of incidental contacts constantly going on and it only takes one getting through. Good on GDQ for enforcing safe practices. We're all trying to figure out what the future looks like and it's tempting to just abandon anything that didn't used to be "normal"/

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I'm pretty sure this gets asked every time an incentive feels too big, but who picks those? I assume the runner does for modifier incentives on their run (glitch showcase, blindfold final boss, stuff like that) but when it's a whole game to schedule around?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Incoherence posted:

The Game Boy games had a much smaller set of possible egg paths and IIRC the speedrun just devised a route through the egg that covered all the possible egg paths.

It's been a while since I saw a run for that but if I remember right the Egg Path there was something weird like it was always the same and not randomized until you first entered the library. So if you avoid that you know the route.

I... *think* I'm not making that up?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Good lord, the superarrow strats on this MM5 run. Really tight placement.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If you want more breakdown of what's going on, or just more of this wonderful runner after the run, Muffin did a teach of this on the Hotfix a week or two ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15IzVPA5OfM

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

Directing people to donate to charity is a good use of power IMO

Telling your employees how to spend their wages isn't, particularly when it's promoting the company. It's a good cause, yes, but there's a line that should be there.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

Every evening during the Red Bull Daily Recap I crack 'n chug a Red Bull in solidarity. I haven't slept since Sunday. Help me.

A Red Bull keeps you up all day? I didn't even get 2 hours from them in college. Which of us is the weird one?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

There once was a master of verse
specializing in poetry terse
but when it came to meter
they could never quite find the right word or remember how dipthongs count
so their product turned out for the worse

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Wiltsghost posted:

I just realized that you can tell who is talking by if their name is lit up. That's a neat feature since you can't see mouths.

Oh THAT'S why they did it! Maybe. Good catch.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Are stats randomized too?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

No. Because randomizing Stats, Types, and Move Types/Power/Accuracy makes it a hell-world or learning a whole new game

Oh I know, I watch Kaizo Ironmon runs. In that case I'm surprised how beefy the Golbat was. Though Piloswine isn't great in Special.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

Time to be ROLLIN' DEEP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYnFIRc0k6E&t=60s

Edit: runner stole my joke. I liked the crowd chiming in with "WHAT"

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 30, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Spike is an amazing source of positive energy. Even in runs where he's been tired and frustrated (he and Iateyourpie raced Lifeline a few years back, it was a disaster), he still sounds happy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Is this a bit

Its a bit

.... its not a bit is it?

:same:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

DanielCross posted:

Man, I really have to wonder how people ever figure out such pixel-precise tricks like that boss door clip in the Banjo-Tooie run.

Screwing around. Either their own or people go looking through videos/forums for things casual gamers encountered by chance, then reverse engineer it. In the case of that door someone gets in, then someone (maybe not the same someone) figures out the pixel-perfect angle, and then they figure out how to set it up reliably.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I appreciate the runner singing along.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Agent355 posted:

This is just great. One of the only times I'm just watching the camera and not the gamescreen.

I think it was SGDQ a year ago when some folks set up in their local arcade so there were a few different people showing off, including a finale where everyone lines up and takes their turn for eight measures or so before getting off for the next person.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

We will adopt your child.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Things that make you cheer in an empty room.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Did those song lyrics just say "I smell you, so Raichu come on and make my day"?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Agent355 posted:

What I want to know is what items we're really looking for, starting backwards.

Like, I can wrap my mind around 'we need light arrows and the 7 crystals to beat gannon' and then 'we'll need hookshot, hoverboots, and bombs to get the 7 crystals'

And then you kind of understand that they're checking all these chests looking for a certain number of items, or items that enable further checks around the game world.

However when nobody lays out what exactly we need it just feels like randomly wandering around and it's really hard to follow.

Yeah, that's the key to randomizers and some people are a lot better at conveying it than others. Also depends on the game. I've always found OoT a bit more difficult to parse in that respect than the 2D zelda randomizers.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If this ends with us feeding Epona to a T-Rex to get the Triforce...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Doing a Run with the DMCa is Tricky, for sure.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I missed the SMW romhack race, this thing is incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrrHSHt8WmE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

Yeah that sounds about right

That's the kind of coherent, concise explanation you'd expect from somebody pulling a stunt like this.

Claims it was a last-second decision, had a manifesto speech prepared and the video assembled.
:thunk: