Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
On the other end of the spectrum, as someone familiar with code execution exploits and a working knowledge of MIPS assembler it was pretty clear to me that they were inserting data and code to modify the game on the fly after the bot did its initial set-up. The view angle manipulation presumably wrote some code that would start reading controller 2-4's input as code/data when run, it's very similar to the previous tasbot ACE shenanigans. Twitch integration is done by the bot reading chat, then transmitting chat to the console over the controller connection. Conceptually, none of the pieces are that difficult; actually writing the code to do it all and make the pieces work together on an N64 has to have been hard as hell. However, since I don't know a thing about Ocarina of Time beta content I had no way of telling if stuff like the Arwing really was left over on-cart content. Instead of just enjoying the weird poo poo they were doing to OoT I also had to play a mediocre social deduction game of figuring out when and how the presenter was bullshitting me, which was less fun than enjoying the weird poo poo they were doing to OoT.

I would've preferred a more straightforward explanation. "As you may know, there's some beta content left on the cart. We're now going to use that content to modify the game ... slightly" would've been at least as interesting and surprising as running a confusing con on the audience. It was a cool run and hack, they should trust themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Zurai posted:

What, them saying, "Yes, the Arwing is actually on OOT's cart, they used it as a beta test of Volvagia's flying mechanics" wasn't enough to clue you in?

I knew that some of what they were saying was deliberate misdirection by that point, so how on earth would I know that particular statement was actually truthful and not part of the con?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Zurai posted:

Sure, I guess if you're willing to believe that the runner is outright, baldface lying to you, and that the event condones that (runners have to submit a video of the run as part of approval), then you do you. There's no rational discourse that can be had past that point.

But ... the runner was literally telling baldface lies throughout. That was the entire conceit of the run.