Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

KKKLIP ART posted:

Very glad that things are OK enough to do in person. You know that with this being the first in person in a while that they are going to make so much freaking money.

Never played Shadow of the Colossus, never saw rubie stream, but I am 100% loving both.

They're really... not okay enough to do in person, but we as a culture have just abandoned every effort at acknowledging that, so I can't really blame GDQ for going along with it. Glad to see they've kept the mask and vaccine mandate, hopefully nobody literally dies like at PAX East.

But there's nothing we can do about any of that, so I'm down to just enjoy the runs, and Rubiehart is absolutely a delight, great start to the marathon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
That recovery lmao - honestly it's hard not to root for the colossi in these fights sometimes, they don't deserve this!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
First run of the marathon and we get a "that's never happened before," this is definitely a GDQ

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Mierenneuker posted:

Thursday (EU time)

This was one of my favorite shows as a little kid, even though it was absolutely terrible. I had no idea there was a game for it! Anyone here seen it in action? Is it as godawful as you'd expect?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I have absolutely no idea what the difference was between successfully completing that trick and the dozen failed attempts before it, but man it looks slick when it works.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I've never played a Kirby game, but I just watched this little puffball turn into a truck and kill God. This franchise is Good, Actually.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I somehow missed that this game even existed, but it's a legitimately great concept for a Pokemon game. They should do another one of these that just shamelessly rips off those high-fidelity hunting games, and lets you wander around a Pokemon region stalking these creatures and trying to get a good picture without them running off / electrocuting you.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
This game rules, what a clever gimmick.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Poor Bullets, thought of O R B and died

Edit: oh so this game turns into Celeste

Kestral fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 27, 2022

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

SeXReX posted:

I absolutely sighed and let out a detected "orb"

god help me, I still laugh at ORB and yell it at my television, I will :orb: forever

Also Warden: Melody of the Undergrowth looks quite charming!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
"Going to jump on top of my dad and just wiggle around"

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Ico's walking animation carrying the rock is hilarious, oh my god

Edit: This Ico run is going to be a top recommendation for folks who just want to see a game done fast, with great commentary, but without totally busting a game apart at the seams and rendering it unrecognizable through, say, out-of-bounds shenanigans.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 28, 2022

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

:orb:

Taking bets on whether FNAF gets met - $90k seems like an ambitious sum.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Internet Kraken posted:

If my memory is correct this guy has run GTA games multiple times before and always killed it with them

Yep, I don't even like GTA games but I'll always watch a kz_frew run. God this is going to be so cursed, isn't it?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

AHH F/UGH posted:

Good lord I'm sorry, I want to like this but this is just unwatchable

Username/post combo is very powerful.

Also, it's the same problem that esports with five different perspectives have: no way to create the kind of focus required for a legible narrative. And this is why Starcraft Brood War is the best esport :colbert:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
"We'll be back after a quick break!"

Two hours later --

"Thank you so much for getting that incentive met in the nick of time, Twitch chat! You're so cute!"

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Now this is interesting - I don't recall them ever switching games around to get an incentive met.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I have a baaaaaad feeling about this run, the energy from the runner and commentator already feels... Odd.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Internet Kraken posted:

They don't feel interested in their own run lol

Yeah, this is a problem. Bad games work when the runner / commentators are into the badness and they can transmit their enthusiasm to the audience. Even relentlessly making GBS threads on a bad game can work, if you're enjoying mocking it or your suffering is overwrought and comical or induces empathy. Detached sarcasm is... Not great.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Agent355 posted:

This feels like it should be a cutscene% or SOMETHING.

It feels so dead and lifeless played like this, where is the appeal?

Lifeless, you nailed it. Cutscene% would have been great imo

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Flesnolk posted:

I think inbounds was a mistake, this would be a much more fun run as basically a glitch showcase - the any% world record is like two minutes because you can just slip out of the world and wak straight to the fastest ending.

Also it's kinda funny that the crowd is so dead for a game that was gated behind such a big incentive

In fairness, there's not a lot of crowd noise even when the crowd is packed in, since there's relatively few chairs and they're pretty far back. Not a complaint, the attendance caps and distancing are a token gesture toward the fact that we're still in a pandemic, and I'm heartened by even token gestures at this point.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Omori is a game I keep meaning to play, so I'll have to bail on the live stream for tonight. VOD time! Any highlights from last night between Warden and Super Castlevania?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

TeaJay posted:

That's a block I need to VOD as well, but at least the Blaster Master race was pretty good.

OMORI seems like it'll be a story-heavy RPG with lots of FEELS so I think I'll VOD something from last night for now.

Oh hell yes, UA's Blaster Master race!

... oh my god the green is so bright, UA what is going on with this television they gave you? Is this how it's supposed to look, or, uh... not?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Re: the Blaster Master run, I hope this isn't impolite to ask, but does anyone know the name of the minor speech impediment davidtki seems to have? I ask because one of the kids I do volunteer work with has something similar, and I've been reluctant to ask because he's self-conscious about it.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Vermain posted:

i'm hoping for a return to a packed house by next year, although i'm not hedging my bets on it quite yet

Yeeeaaaah, unfortunately there's not really any evidence that this could be the case from an epidemiological perspective, but cultural norms might shift to that point by next year regardless of the state of the pandemic, so who knows.

Jedi Outcast is going to be completely, hilariously busted, isn't it?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
"By Imperial decree: It's gooooooood!"

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Had to step out for a while, so I missed the Odyssey run up to this point - what's the deal with a Darker Side run? I heard something about the game being bugged out?

Edit: oh my god the cable is broken, this is truly a GDQ now

Kestral fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 29, 2022

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

TeaJay posted:

I'm hoping the FF6 Worlds collide rando run will be fun. I've been watching quite a few after seeing Retrophile run it at Retrothon 2021.

I'm mostly hoping it'll be intelligible. I like randos in concept, but in execution I often can't tell what the hell is going on, even in games like LTTP that I've played to death.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
That's what you get for abandoning faithful Yoshi to the lava, Mario!!!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Poor Ganon, he sounds shaken, understandably so. This is a brutal trick, I'm so glad the crowd is supportive.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
It... It keeps going?!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Found myself literally holding my breath for that.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Incredibly powerful energy from this person in the moogle onesie in the front row. Unstoppable.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
"BEEEEEEEEES learned JUMP KICK"

oh no

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I laugh every time BEEEEEEEEEES comes up, and I am not ashamed.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Another $75,000 in 90 minutes seems ambitious when it's barely moved in a while.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Let's all take a moment to imagine a Shuckle jump-kick.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Gonna double down on this prediction, they do not hit $800k without some huge drop from Yetee or similar. Prove me wrong, Twitch chat :colbert:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Is golbat the new 'mon bonjwa???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Tayter Swift posted:

nice way to stall

This golbat wants to see the Steven fight, hero of the people