Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bloody posted:

I do this except it's reasonably modern nas hardware. it's great tbh.

i mean, its totally fine if your site doesn't get any hits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I once saw someone serve a static website using Lambda functions and that sounds pretty ok (a series of S3 buckets with maybe some fancy routing) in reality it was lambda that was dynamically rendering all the html

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

abigserve posted:

in reality it was lambda that was dynamically rendering all the html

:magical:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean, its totally fine if your site doesn't get any hits

yep exactly. extremely easy way to serve single digit per day page hits of static html

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

abigserve posted:

I once saw someone serve a static website using Lambda functions and that sounds pretty ok (a series of S3 buckets with maybe some fancy routing) in reality it was lambda that was dynamically rendering all the html
i still don't understand, was it like CGI-Perl but running in lambda or am i missing something

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 28, 2022

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

abigserve posted:

hahahaha

now render all the icons via some dall-e invocation

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if someone hasn't done a filter where you render a web page but replace all the images by dall-e renderings of their alt-txts, please do

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
wait

wait

you mean they were running chromium in lambda?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

wait

wait

you mean they were running chromium in lambda?

no they were just returning a constant html string from a lambda

or at least thats how i understood it

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

rotor posted:

are they worse than the CS departments run by people who refuse to acknowledge the fact that a CS degree is almost all vocational training?

but the actual academic computer science parts are the most fun ):

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Remember when spot prices for ec2 instances in us-east were like five times the price of spot instances in other availability zones because no one took az's seriously and just used the default?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

the first EC2 instance was a Compaq under an intern's desk.

that's cool

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

RokosCockatrice posted:

Remember when spot prices for ec2 instances in us-east were like five times the price of spot instances in other availability zones because no one took az's seriously and just used the default?

you mean region?

AZs have always had account specific identifiers, so amazon has at least a small amount of control over which AZs see the most action within a region. (i.e. my us-east-1a might be your us-east-1c)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i still mainly work with aws, but aws-style regions seem like such an odd anti-pattern after getting used to gcp.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

post hole digger posted:

i still mainly work with aws, but aws-style regions seem like such an odd anti-pattern after getting used to gcp.

I haven't worked with GCP in a year or two, but aren't they essentially the same? 10 or so regions with names like us-east1 made up of 3+ availability zones each

I know some aws regions don't have the full 3 zones, but what are the other differences?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
ive never used gcp but i just googled it and

quote:

Compute Engine resources are hosted in multiple locations worldwide. These locations are composed of regions and zones. A region is a specific geographical location where you can host your resources. Regions have three or more zones. For example, the us-west1 region denotes a region on the west coast of the United States that has three zones: us-west1-a, us-west1-b, and us-west1-c.

isnt this the same thing

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

sorry i just meant the way it organizes everything. if you're in aws and you want to work on something cross-region, you're looking at say us-east-1 and need to actually switch the console view to us-central-1 to view your resources in that region. in gcp, the things are arranged by project and all of your resources across the project are displayed together regardless of the region of a specific instance.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
oh. i cant remember the last time i've logged into the console to do anything.

a buddy of mine has an aws account so big if he loads the aws web console they hit the API limits (the web ui uses the same API endpoints as the cli tools do) before everything loads and then they cant do anything for a few minutes.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I have a feeling most people who develop the web consoles for the major cloud providers primarily use their CLI and/or APIs for everything. There's an intense feeling of "why are you even here" to most of them.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

nudgenudgetilt posted:

you mean region?

AZs have always had account specific identifiers, so amazon has at least a small amount of control over which AZs see the most action within a region. (i.e. my us-east-1a might be your us-east-1c)

That's the stuff. And then some research center would soak up all of us-east-1d's spot instances for an afternoon trying to square a circle or something, so everyone else would get out-bid and all their spot instances would poof into ether

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

LanceHunter posted:

I have a feeling most people who develop the web consoles for the major cloud providers primarily use their CLI and/or APIs for everything. There's an intense feeling of "why are you even here" to most of them.

thats how the documentation is even written. there's things you can't even do in the web ui.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

the only things i can think of that you would prefer to use console over CLI off the top of my head are billing and some IAM stuff. maaayyybbe eventbridge?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

conversely there are some services (chatbot is the one that immediately comes to mind) that cant be created/modified in cli/sdk and are only configurable from console.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Gazpacho posted:

lol at the excuse, the instructors just didn't want to teach new poo poo. also ibm gave them a deal on equipment without windows

yeah it sucked rear end

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I tried to give an IAM user the ability to launch and stop and terminate their own EC2 images and assumed it was about as easy to grok as S3 perms and hosed it up and there’s so much loving documentation I can’t be bothered to read :o:

what I’m saying is they’re gonna need a bigger desk soon

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

post hole digger posted:

sorry i just meant the way it organizes everything. if you're in aws and you want to work on something cross-region, you're looking at say us-east-1 and need to actually switch the console view to us-central-1 to view your resources in that region. in gcp, the things are arranged by project and all of your resources across the project are displayed together regardless of the region of a specific instance.

yeah, say what you want about Azure (and it has a lot of issues), but at least its console has a unified view and unified search unlike AWS.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

rotor posted:

are they worse than the CS departments run by people who refuse to acknowledge the fact that a CS degree is almost all vocational training?

nah gently caress that. university shouldn't be vocational training. good on those profs for frustrating the wants of business

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i hope a big amazon datacenter burns to the ground. that would loving own so hard

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i hope a big amazon datacenter burns to the ground. that would loving own so hard

france got a french version of this last year

https://www.theregister.com/2022/03/22/ovhcloud_fire_datacenter_report/

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

the first ec2 instance was a compaq under an interns desk?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

fart simpson posted:

Isn't every server's first instance some tower under somebodies desk?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

fart simpson posted:

the first ec2 instance was a compaq under an interns desk.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

thats what ive heard

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I have also heard that the first ec2 instance was a compaq under an interns desk.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

but here's the twist, that compaq under the interns desk? it was the first ec2 instance

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

shouldn’t the first instance have been an ec1

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

a freelancer server I played a shitload on in the mid-late 2000s was hosted on a tricked out pentium 4 in a dude's kitchen in germany hooked directly into a T1 line

fuckin thing was rock solid too

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

a freelancer server you played a shitload on in the mid-late 2000s was hosted on a tricked out pentium 4 in a dude's kitchen in germany hooked directly into a T1 line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

yes, a freelancer server someone played a shitload on in the mid-late 2000s was hosted on a tricked out pentium 4 in a dude's kitchen in germany hooked directly into a T1 line.

I heard that that loving thing was rock solid too.