Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i kind of want to run a web server off of old hardware from home for nostalgia value. been idly thinking about this a lot lately because i have a sickness of the soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i still mainly work with aws, but aws-style regions seem like such an odd anti-pattern after getting used to gcp.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

sorry i just meant the way it organizes everything. if you're in aws and you want to work on something cross-region, you're looking at say us-east-1 and need to actually switch the console view to us-central-1 to view your resources in that region. in gcp, the things are arranged by project and all of your resources across the project are displayed together regardless of the region of a specific instance.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

conversely there are some services (chatbot is the one that immediately comes to mind) that cant be created/modified in cli/sdk and are only configurable from console.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

a freelancer server I played a shitload on in the mid-late 2000s was hosted on a tricked out pentium 4 in a dude's kitchen in germany hooked directly into a T1 line

fuckin thing was rock solid too

we have to go back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Gentle Autist posted:

if ec2 is so great why is there no ec3

ec4 is under my desk at this very moment.