Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
renormalize running critical infrastructure on a machine under Srini's desk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

post hole digger posted:

i kind of want to run a web server off of old hardware from home for nostalgia value. been idly thinking about this a lot lately because i have a sickness of the soul.

I've been thinking a lot about low-power, low-bandwidth computing lately

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Fortaleza posted:

At my first job at a bearing manufacturer in Indiana we had some critical internal sites running on a 13 year old workstation and we didn't know it until the guy retired and someone turned off his computer lol

so the question is:

was fixing that problem more or less work than 13 years of fuckin around with poo poo like ansible and terraform?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

that’s the good stuff

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

its how farmers are made

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i wonder how people would become farmers before computers were invented? Were there like steam engine dudes who were like "I am so tired of all this steam bullshit, I'm just gonna be a farmer instead."

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

if i could get paid deecee six figgies to be an assistant to a real farmer id quit tomorrow

i think there's a distinction to be made here between actual farmers and "gentleman farmers" which is to say people who run farms as a hobby because they dont need to live off the money they make selling okra or whatever

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

are they worse than the CS departments run by people who refuse to acknowledge the fact that a CS degree is almost all vocational training?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

its a lot better now but i every now & then I still see interns from colleges that will spend a year talking about computability and proofs of correctness and I ask them to commit to version control and they're like "version control?"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

idk man how much time do you want to spend explaining that there are other data formats besides csv

probably about as much time as you want to spend explaining why this new prolog tool just isn't gonna work in the toolchain

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

"look, Barney, i agree that graph isomorphism is an important concept and we can definitely come back to this later but right now I just need you to bump the version number in the POM ok"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

abigserve posted:

I once saw someone serve a static website using Lambda functions and that sounds pretty ok (a series of S3 buckets with maybe some fancy routing) in reality it was lambda that was dynamically rendering all the html

hahahaha

now render all the icons via some dall-e invocation

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if someone hasn't done a filter where you render a web page but replace all the images by dall-e renderings of their alt-txts, please do

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

wait

wait

you mean they were running chromium in lambda?

no they were just returning a constant html string from a lambda

or at least thats how i understood it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

it was developed by former valve engineers

xD