Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
No Industry for Antiquarians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
you might think that in 2004, realnetworks would have had some process in place for standing up a production server, and maybe it did, but damned if my dev lead or anyone else on my team there knew what it was

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Moo Cowabunga posted:

I still remember at my cjs school c.2000 where examinations were still being done in basic/dos because “some industries are hold outs and haven’t upgraded to win2k, and probably won’t”. Some exams were done in os/2. it was pretty much a low point in my life.
lol at the excuse, the instructors just didn't want to teach new poo poo. also ibm gave them a deal on equipment without windows

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 27, 2022

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
lol yeah, cs programs that developed under the influence of the business school (and therefore likely the influence of IBM) tend to be "special"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
now you can serve your company's production from a single unmanaged instance in your personal AWS account and expense it until you quit

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

are they worse than the CS departments run by people who refuse to acknowledge the fact that a CS degree is almost all vocational training?
idk man how much time do you want to spend explaining that there are other data formats besides csv

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

abigserve posted:

I once saw someone serve a static website using Lambda functions and that sounds pretty ok (a series of S3 buckets with maybe some fancy routing) in reality it was lambda that was dynamically rendering all the html
i still don't understand, was it like CGI-Perl but running in lambda or am i missing something

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 28, 2022

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
wait

wait

you mean they were running chromium in lambda?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Gentle Autist posted:

if ec2 is so great why is there no ec3
it was developed by former valve engineers