Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

ruddiger posted:

anyone have a good list of movies that have a scene that takes place in a comic book store?

Not a movie but Deadly Class had a few scenes in a comic book store and I know this because they filmed it in my comic book store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Opopanax posted:

Kevin Smith's filmography?

he said good

Lost Boys has some scenes in a comic shop. Big Bang Theory, Young Sheldon and the Simpsons center many plots around the comic shop as well.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I read Hack/Slash vs Vampirella. Pretty fun. It’s got me interested in both those series now.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
unbreakable

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The worst Puppet Master movie.

Rhyno posted:

he said good

He said a good list, not a list of good movies.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rhyno posted:

he said good

Rhyno posted:

Big Bang Theory, Young Sheldon

:catstare:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i think it's very clear that setting a film or tv show in a comic book shop automatically makes it poo poo

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Fanboys

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Comic Book Villains?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
This reminds me of two hilariously bad episodes on two different shows where they had scenes in comic book shops and weird bizarre dialog about comics as if they were some underground dark lurid culture.

The first one being Law and Order SVU where a bunch of nerds dress up as superheroes and fight crime and shockingly one of them is a rapist.

The second being Criminal Minds featuring Frankie Muniz as a graphic novelist who's stuff is just to dangerous and crazy for you norms.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
True Romance for film and Spaced for TV are probably the best ones that spring to mind.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1600649516239273985?s=46&t=DGhWBkJlltpu1CmHSvClXA

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

True Romance is one of my favorite movies but I am forever annoyed by the scene in the comic shop where Clarence is flipping through an issue of Sleepwalker while telling Alabama all about the WWII adventures of Nick Fury

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

It's that time of year again, so tonight I'll be starting my annual re-reading of this:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

ruddiger posted:

anyone have a good list of movies that have a scene that takes place in a comic book store?

Found some lists that could work for you:
https://bestsimilar.com/tag/17214-comic-book-shop
https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/?keywords=comic-book-store

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I left Twitter a while ago, but I really missed some of the comics chat, especially folks posting comics art. Are there good places on Mastodon to check out, or is it just a shambles?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I keep ranting about RSS feeds and personal blogs falling away. I'd constantly miss updates on Twitter. All the other places seem to push certain content based on random algorithms. At least a few creators do email newsletters these days.

I have a Deviant Art account that was alright to check, but I have fallen out of the habit years ago. And artists would leave there as they became more popular.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

StumblyWumbly posted:

I left Twitter a while ago, but I really missed some of the comics chat, especially folks posting comics art. Are there good places on Mastodon to check out, or is it just a shambles?

All I know about Mastadon is that if you send a PM that includes someone’s username in the text of the message, that person will be added to the conversation. That’s not a bug, it’s an intentional feature. So I don’t think Mastadon will really take off.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
A lot of creators made accounts on mastodon (I got my follow list started by looking at Greg Pak's follows) and hive but I don't think anybody totally migrated over and everyone is still on Twitter

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yeah there's still some very very slim hope that twitter isnt going to implode but its looking very very unlikely. people still betting on it tho

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Think once we roll over to 2023 we should just do an annual thread considering how bad the mods were at actually switching the threads by season this year, or maybe even just have a permanent general chat thread instead of worrying about seasonal or annual threads

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

drrockso20 posted:

Think once we roll over to 2023 we should just do an annual thread considering how bad the mods were at actually switching the threads by season this year, or maybe even just have a permanent general chat thread instead of worrying about seasonal or annual threads

This thread is making me remember when it wasn't in the low teens and I saw the sun after coming home from work. :sun: There was a time long ago when I would sit outside and read comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drrockso20 posted:

Rude.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

They are right. Not enough people post here to need a new thread every 3 months.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

We switched to seasonal because someone complained that an ongoing general thread was too unwieldy for newbies, which sure, but I agree.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Endless Mike posted:

We switched to seasonal because someone complained that an ongoing general thread was too unwieldy for newbies, which sure, but I agree.

There's newbies to SA? I thought everyone that was ever going to sign up for the site signed up by 2010 and we're slowly dying off of old age

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
There's roughly 75 new accounts each month. If we assume at least 99% of them are re-regs of various perma'd psychos and weirdos, that means there are a few actual real new people each year. Now compare that with the number of people who actually bother to still read comics and...

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Is there a thread for 2000ad / Eurocomics / South American comics here? I've been getting really into Sláine, Nemesis the Warlock, Corto Maltese, Druillet, Hector Oesterheld, etc and am curious to see what other people are saying about those things

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Frog Act posted:

Is there a thread for 2000ad / Eurocomics / South American comics here? I've been getting really into Sláine, Nemesis the Warlock, Corto Maltese, Druillet, Hector Oesterheld, etc and am curious to see what other people are saying about those things

There used to be but it went dead at some point. Just post about them here, I am super down to talk about European comics. I picked up a stack of French Bob Moraine books last year and they’re on my ever growing TBR pile. I also still subscribe to izneo for some reason.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
this is now the permanent chat thread but it will be titled "summer 2022 chat" forever

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Medullah posted:

There's newbies to SA? I thought everyone that was ever going to sign up for the site signed up by 2010 and we're slowly dying off of old age
I wasn't saying it made sense, just that's what the reasoning was.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
BSS Summer 2022: Endless Summer featuring Dream, Death, and Despair

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

I thought we switched to seasonal from monthly because the monthly thread would be lucky to eat a fourth page.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Todd McFarlane just getting loving roasted by a 12 year old.

https://twitter.com/SpawnArchive/status/1607164988925349891?s=20&t=Ny77PQyI8C7gAWIApXAcXg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Looks like this thread isn't going to be so permanent after all! :ninja:

New chat thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020961