Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's officially the summer in the northern hemisphere! It's hot as gently caress in a lot of the US, but the endless churn of superhero comics and movies continues! Chat about whatever makes you happy or sad* in here!

*If what makes you sad is the comics industry itself, to include companies, creators, or other related people or organizations, keep it to the Industry Terribleness thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What is Ben's floatee made out of

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Unstable molecules. Duh.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Finally, time for the BSS Summer Swimsuit Special! I've got a lovely one-piece picked out.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Hope this is chill to post here:

Hi folks, I’m posting here recruiting to see if anyone would be interested in playing Mafia!

We are a group of forums Mafia players that usually play-by-post in the Trad Games forum. Currently, we are running a videogame themed game over at the Games subforum, and we are looking for new players that want to learn how to play, or just try their hand at something new. Game is completely newbie-friendly and we'll have volunteers over to help everyone get settled and have a good time. If you've ever played Werewolf or Town of Salem, or even real-life Mafia, it is similar!

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Sandwolf posted:

Hi folks, I’m posting here recruiting to see if anyone would be interested in playing Mafia!

We are a group of forums Mafia players that usually play-by-post in the Trad Games forum. Currently, we are running a videogame themed game over at the Games subforum, and we are looking for new players that want to learn how to play, or just try their hand at something new. Game is completely newbie-friendly and we'll have volunteers over to help everyone get settled and have a good time. If you've ever played Werewolf or Town of Salem, or even real-life Mafia, it is similar!

For what it's worth we only need 1 player, game is full otherwise if that helps!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sandwolf posted:

Haha nerd.

I have a run a lot of comic themed ones though

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Loki went through some weird phases.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
this is where the batman who laughs came from

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Looking to finally read the Immortal Hulk since alot of people here say its great. What should I reach beforehand? Last thing I read specifically Hulk-wise was World War Hulk and the Hercules run (awesome).

e: I guess I should post this in the recommendation thread.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shageletic posted:

Looking to finally read the Immortal Hulk since alot of people here say its great. What should I reach beforehand? Last thing I read specifically Hulk-wise was World War Hulk and the Hercules run (awesome).

e: I guess I should post this in the recommendation thread.

You're probably fine just reading it. The run does some deep pulls from old Hulk stuff, but explains it well in context. If something in Immortal Hulk perks your curiosity about his history maybe ask here or in the Q&A or in the recommendation thread.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
honestly i had never read a hulk book before before immortal and was fine. it does a pretty good job explaining itself

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
History of The Marvel Universe would probably be a decent one to get caught up more or less to the status quo Marvel is at during most of Immortal Hulk

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just read it imo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm putting this in a separate post because I don't mean to call out the previous poster, God knows I've done it myself.

But the idea "oh, before you read this really good comic you need to read all these other comics first" is really loving dumb. I read Bendis' Daredevil before I read Born Again and I was able to accept the premise "All these thugs are pretty drat sure Matt Murdock is Daredevil and that leaks out" without the backstory. Also Kingpin was blind at the start of that and I still have no idea how that happened. But the book still worked for me.

If you hear that a comic is good and you want to read it, just read the comic, don't worry too much about research.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

History of The Marvel Universe would probably be a decent one to get caught up more or less to the status quo Marvel is at during most of Immortal Hulk

Yeah, this poo poo is specifically what I was complaining about. Someone wants to read an amazing bit of fiction and you gave them a research assignment.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, this poo poo is specifically what I was complaining about. Someone wants to read an amazing bit of fiction and you gave them a research assignment.

Eh I'd say you're massively overreacting, History of The Marvel Universe is a pretty breezy six issue mini-series, not some mammoth tome and is plenty entertaining in its own right

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Just read Immortal Hulk. There’s a really run and engaging letter column where a lot of lifelong Hulk fans will recommend random issues and runs and honestly that was awesome, especially if you’re reading thru Marvel Infinite. I could just finish an issue and find their recommended issue from like 1974. That was the best way to read imo.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's like Morrison's Batman run where there are some deep continuity cuts, but you aren't missing anything major but not knowing the full context.
There's an issue 0 type thing that has a couple reprints of some old comics that cover the most important stuff, that's all that's really necessary and even then you can live without it

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/carlyewisel/status/1542309095927173121

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I read like half of Planet Hulk and then World War Hulk and have basically never enjoyed Hulk as a character for my entire comics-reading life* and read Immortal Hulk and loved it. Just read it.

*I also haven't read any of the other celebrated runs, but that's because of the irrational dislike of the character don't @ me

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It doesn't make any sense anyway, Thanos's indestructible sphincter would cut Ant-Man in half as he was expanding.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Opopanax posted:

It's like Morrison's Batman run where there are some deep continuity cuts, but you aren't missing anything major but not knowing the full context.
There's an issue 0 type thing that has a couple reprints of some old comics that cover the most important stuff, that's all that's really necessary and even then you can live without it

Some of the stories in that anthology were ones Morrison hadn't even read and included just because they liked the cover.

For Morrison's run it's useful to know that the stories exist and far less useful to have actually read them.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I'm putting this in a separate post because I don't mean to call out the previous poster, God knows I've done it myself.

But the idea "oh, before you read this really good comic you need to read all these other comics first" is really loving dumb. I read Bendis' Daredevil before I read Born Again and I was able to accept the premise "All these thugs are pretty drat sure Matt Murdock is Daredevil and that leaks out" without the backstory. Also Kingpin was blind at the start of that and I still have no idea how that happened. But the book still worked for me.

If you hear that a comic is good and you want to read it, just read the comic, don't worry too much about research.

I'm going to just read Immortal Hulk, thanks everyone.

But I remember before reading House of X finding a reading list of comics beforehand, and none of them were necessary, but it was hella fun to catch up with the characters and see how they've changed, I guess I was going after that. No worries.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/shonenjump/status/1542614131970392064
People seemed to like the previous one shot, Goodbye Eri, so head's up that there's a new one coming out Sunday. If it is anything like the previous ones it will be free to read on the Shonen Jump website.

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
I really wanted to read immortal hulk too. I love binging complete arcs that get a lot of praise but I found out the artist is an antisemite and I’m Jewish so…yeah no thanks.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

King Baby posted:

I really wanted to read immortal hulk too. I love binging complete arcs that get a lot of praise but I found out the artist is an antisemite and I’m Jewish so…yeah no thanks.

Just engage in some good old fashioned piracy so he doesn't see a dime

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Some of the stories in that anthology were ones Morrison hadn't even read and included just because they liked the cover.

For Morrison's run it's useful to know that the stories exist and far less useful to have actually read them.

I can totally see Morrison trolling DC by saying "yeah, include the story with the cursed mummy one, that's the key to the whole thing!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/KBAndersonYo/status/1544156655847215104

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
Is something broke on the industry terrible thread? Every time I try to read the last page it crashes.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's trying to save you from yourself.
Works fine for me, clear cache maybe?

monkeypox truther
Jun 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a repository of superhero outfits through time somewhere

Marvel in particular

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1546939397471318016?s=20&t=eFlC7v2j_xjSgXieaMds5Q

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Just finished Saga #60, they seem to be taking a break, planning on releasing six issues per year, have 48 issues to go, doing some math, I'll be 50 when the series end.

gently caress, I'm getting old.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
oh poo poo i'll be dead before they finish lol

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Uthor posted:

Just finished Saga #60, they seem to be taking a break, planning on releasing six issues per year, have 48 issues to go, doing some math, I'll be 50 when the series end.

Yeah I'm 45 and 6 issues a year is getting me nervous

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Uthor posted:

No point in reading this series anymore. It will never be finished.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I have the first few trades but I hate pausing between stuff like that so I've been waiting to start it, and I'm going to keep on waiting so long

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh yeah I went recommend Saga to anyone until it's done, as much as I enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I stopped reading when he hit her. It felt like the comic had become more about bad things happening to the family than about the family.