Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The two-page spread of a dragon autofelating itself was the jumping off point for me. It's so gross that it's plenty of reason to drop the series in and of itself, but I also feel like a series that updates as sporadically as Saga shouldn't waste a tenth of an issue on something so unimportant. If you expect me to keep reading this comic for another ten years, you better make every bit of it count. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The last issue before the first big break was a big loving downer and now issue 60 also ends in a brutal downer of a moment and it’s just a sick joke at this point.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I just don't have the brain for these big breaks. If I read a 50-60 issue series straight through I can barely remember stuff that happened early on, I'm definitely not going to remember if it was 10 years ago

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Saga just became like The Walking Dead, in that instead of a good story it's basically "the tragedy hour".

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I liked how two or three issues ago it ended with the pirate framed to break the fourth wall saying ARE YOU TIGGERED?!

Like, I thought I was reading a Mark Millar comic for a second.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Late eighties/early 90s Batman writer Alan Grant Hass passed away. For me this is real sad as his Batman stuff was some of the first Batman comics I ever read. A trade of Batman: The Last Arkham was one of the first trades I ever owned. RIP to an underrated legend

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Tributes paid to 2000AD and Batman comics writer Alan Grant

https://downthetubes.net/tributes-paid-to-2000ad-and-batman-comics-writer-alan-grant/

We are very sorry to report that 2000AD and Batman writer Alan Grant has died, after a long illness. His wife, Sue Grant, announced his passing on Facebook, earlier today.

Our sympathies to Sue and family and friends at this very sad time. He will be very much missed, by so many.

To say Alan was integral to the success of 2000AD, Britain’s best-known SF comic, often alongside John Wagner, would be an absolute understatement. He helped shape the success of the comic and so many of its characters, including as Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, Robo-Hunter, Judge Anderson and so many, many more. His work in American comics, for DC Comics and Marvel, writing stories featuring Batman and The Punisher, for example, was, rightfully, critically acclaimed.

More recently, he co-created the alien football star, Rok of the Reds, with John Wagner and artist Dan Cornwell, a brilliant independent, creator-owned series.

“Everyone at 2000AD and Rebellion is devastated to hear of the passing of Alan Grant.” the publisher stated in an obituary to the creator.

“Grant was one of his generation’s finest writers, combining a sharp eye for dialogue and political satire with a deep empathy that made his characters seem incredibly human and rounded. Through his work he had a profound and enduring influence on 2000AD and on the comics industry.”

“Alan was not only a brilliantly talented comics writer (what a legacy of work he leaves us) but was also an incredibly kind and generous soul,” commented audio drama producer and comics publisher Andrew Mark Sewell. “I treasured the times spent in his company. My heart goes out to his lovely wife Sue, his family and friends.”

“He’ll be missed by everyone who met him or simply enjoyed the huge amount of comics he gave us,” noted comic writer and publisher, Tim Pilcher.

“He was such a help to me as a young artist with his advice,” commented artist Dave Kendall. “I’ll never forget his help and encouragement. A great man.”

“Alan was such a generous man and if you had been lucky to be invited to Moniaive you will understand what he meant to his friends and the community,” noted writer and publisher George Lennox. “He always gave me kind advice about my writing and even went out his way to say kind words about my comics.

“I’m so sad, that I’m crying,” commented artist Dave Pugh. “I just wish that his journey to his next life will be blessed with the love he created in this one.”

“Alan Grant was a legend and legends never truly die,” feels artst and writer MontyNero. “He put the icon into iconoclastic with some of the funniest, fiercest, finest comics and books around. My heart goes out to Sue Grant, his family and close friends. Alan’s wit and hospitality made our trips to Moniaive some of our most treasured memories. Rest in Peace, Alan, you will be deeply missed.”

Thank you, Alan. You were, and still are, rightfully, a Comics Legend.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I read somewhere that Grant was somewhat instrumental in getting Alan Moore his first start at 2000 AD. Not sure what the connection is but if true that is impressive as well.
More well known is Grant's pet character Anarky, which Grant created to express his own anarchistic leanings (which morphed into techno-anarchy or something like that). I think Grant initially wanted Anarky to be the next Robin but Tim Drake was created/used instead.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Monster by Barry Windsor-Smith won a bunch of Eisners and I just want to recommend it. It's not an easy read at points, and can be very heart wrenching, but it is one of the best graphic novels I have read this year and is really worth checking out.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Madkal posted:

Monster by Barry Windsor-Smith won a bunch of Eisners and I just want to recommend it. It's not an easy read at points, and can be very heart wrenching, but it is one of the best graphic novels I have read this year and is really worth checking out.

Oh the Eisners finally happened? I want to see who won best manga. It better be Chainsaw Man

Edit: it went to Junji Ito. Boo! Boo I say! He won last year too! Give other people a chance!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chainsaw Man is back so he could always win next time.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Junji Ito is consistently good, but Chainsaw Man is a landmark in comic book storytelling. I was thinking about the things that don’t exist for days. There’s a single line of dialogue that would have been an entire volume in other manga or American comics.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Also Lore Olympus won best webcomic, which is kind of funny given SA’s general feelings on it

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

thetoughestbean posted:

Also Lore Olympus won best webcomic, which is kind of funny given SA’s general feelings on it

I have no idea what SA's feelings on it are but my wife loves the printed volumes of it. I probably shouldn't ask what SA's feelings on it are.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1551919485249933312?t=SpsB--ytjkWEouy8aKb81w&s=19

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Be sure to click through for the entire video. The part where he names all the characters he's worked on is great.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-O posted:

Be sure to click through for the entire video. The part where he names all the characters he's worked on is great.

It’s all great. Chip is great.

Completely insane, but great.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

https://twitter.com/TH3M1K3D/status/1552021742738034688

And this joke caught me unawares and was like a sucker-punch to the stomach
https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/1552334926418255872

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Radiant Black is a pretty good book.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Might get into Transformers

https://twitter.com/TF_Moments/status/1553636584754294785?s=20&t=8Ip7j2bVqc97BgNz3SmJ3A

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Radiant Black is a pretty good book.

Yeah I never see anyone talk about but I like it a lot. That whole little universe they're building is fun with Radiant Red and Rogue Sun.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/EJFoody/status/1300110645694812160

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i imagine it'd be like that one lady assassin they sent to kill Castro who just took their money, flew to Cuba and had lots of sex with him instead

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was that episode of Superman:TAS where Clark is "murdered" by a criminal because of his investigative journalism. Which had a goofy dark ending where the guy figures out that Clark is Superman right in the middle of getting executed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this! posted:

There was that episode of Superman:TAS where Clark is "murdered" by a criminal because of his investigative journalism. Which had a goofy dark ending where the guy figures out that Clark is Superman right in the middle of getting executed.

He's actually murdered by a cop because Clark figured out the cop framed a guy on death row for a murder he committed. IIRC it's the only time capital punishment is mentioned on the show and the only person who suffers it is a corrupt cop.

It's a really good episode.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Clark Kent’s an American citizen

The FBI would be the ones trying to murder him

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

Clark Kent’s an American citizen

The FBI would be the ones trying to murder him

I dont think you know how our government agencies work.

Cia murders people
Fbi entraps people.

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021
Guys guys, they both murder people and completely ignore the limits of their jurisdiction.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr Hootington posted:

I dont think you know how our government agencies work.

Cia murders people
Fbi entraps people.

It's cute you think the FBI doesn't murder people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Hampton

I do think it'd be the FBI trying to murder Clark just because in my head he reports more on domestic things, not like the next coup the CIA is plotting

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 3, 2022

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Right. The CIA would be trying to kill Lois.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The current DCU status quo is there's no more intelligence agencies since Leviathan blew them all up and recruited everyone. They tried to recruit Lois, but she refused, and know trying to kill her will just get Superman on their rear end.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Right. The CIA would be trying to kill Lois.

It's the CIA, so they'd actually end up killing Jimmy.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I heard that Valiant is in some financial troubles and now they have cancelled some books. What's going on with Valiant right now? I was really digging the line about 10 years ago but kind of stopped following it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Given they seem to be putting out like two books a month, I don't think you're abnormal in forgetting they existed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They were my favorite publisher for several years. It's sad to see where they've fallen to again.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou's first official English release volume is out! For the unfamiliar, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is the story of Alpha, a robot who runs a little cafe on the seaside

The seas have risen a lot from our times, the cities are gone, and there aren't many people left. Life is slow and the people are happy, even if they still occasionally grieve all that has been lost. The simple pleasures of a shared cup of coffee, meeting someone new, or taking a scooter ride down the coast gave life a rich texture and simple beauty. It's a vision of the apocalypse not as a violent death, but a graceful one.

I read YKK ages ago in scans, and this was my desktop background for like a decade

I'm so glad YKK has finally gotten a proper release in North America and more people can read it. It's a beautiful comic, one of the best sci-fi comics ever written, and easily the best comic about gay robots I've ever read.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Gripweed posted:

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou's first official English release volume is out! For the unfamiliar, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is the story of Alpha, a robot who runs a little cafe on the seaside

The seas have risen a lot from our times, the cities are gone, and there aren't many people left. Life is slow and the people are happy, even if they still occasionally grieve all that has been lost. The simple pleasures of a shared cup of coffee, meeting someone new, or taking a scooter ride down the coast gave life a rich texture and simple beauty. It's a vision of the apocalypse not as a violent death, but a graceful one.

I read YKK ages ago in scans, and this was my desktop background for like a decade

I'm so glad YKK has finally gotten a proper release in North America and more people can read it. It's a beautiful comic, one of the best sci-fi comics ever written, and easily the best comic about gay robots I've ever read.

Gripweed I ordered this on the basis of your recommendation and so far it's very lovely, thanks for pointing it out I'd have never heard of it otherwise

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

How Wonderful! posted:

Gripweed I ordered this on the basis of your recommendation and so far it's very lovely, thanks for pointing it out I'd have never heard of it otherwise

Yay! When I first read it I got really obnoxious about forcing all my friends to read it, I'm glad that the official release has given me a whole ne chance to evangelize on it's behalf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

https://twitter.com/nathanfairbairn/status/1560033969541787648

Immaculate taste on display here and I say that without a hint of sarcasm.