Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Comics AND Tolkien? I think that lawyer is a nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
He’s got Get Fuzzy and The Far Side, guy’s got taste

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JordanKai posted:

https://twitter.com/nathanfairbairn/status/1560033969541787648

Immaculate taste on display here and I say that without a hint of sarcasm.

Eh, a few posts down he posts a picture of the full shelf and he has two Marvel Mangaverse trades on it. That alone almost cancels out all the good.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

X-O posted:

Eh, a few posts down he posts a picture of the full shelf and he has two Marvel Mangaverse trades on it. That alone almost cancels out all the good.

We all own some real stinkers. This just shows he’s legit

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

X-O posted:

Not to mention the Forgotten Realms novels. :v:

I'm glad I'm not the only person who checks out the bookshelves during these talk heads segments.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://www.comicbookrevolution.com/july-2022-single-issue-comic-book-sales-rankings/

I thought this was interesting.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

thetoughestbean posted:

We all own some real stinkers. This just shows he’s legit

Exactly, plus while Mangaverse isn't good I'd argue that at least some of the early stuff in it was fun

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Is Marvel over shipping again I find it really hard to believe there's literally only two DC comics that comic book shops are ordering more copies of than Moon Knight #13.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Skwirl posted:

Is Marvel over shipping again I find it really hard to believe there's literally only two DC comics that comic book shops are ordering more copies of than Moon Knight #13.

I'm sure the show gave it a brief boost

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I mean, did you read Moon Knight #12?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Opopanax posted:

I'm sure the show gave it a brief boost

Those are July numbers, the show ended in May.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Skwirl posted:

I absolutely can believe it, almost everything I’ve heard of coming from DC at the moment seems very uninspired

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm surprised to see the Marvel/Fortnite comic doing big numbers. I know a lot of people love Fortnite, but I didn't think that that love would translate to comic sales.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

JordanKai posted:

I'm surprised to see the Marvel/Fortnite comic doing big numbers. I know a lot of people love Fortnite, but I didn't think that that love would translate to comic sales.

The Batman Fortnite comic was pretty good. Batman gets sucked into Fortnite and his memory is reset after each battle so he has to do the Memento thing where he leaves messages to himself on his armor as he tries to figure out whats going on

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Heads up

https://twitter.com/TerryMooreArt/status/1561043620483981314

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Terry i assure you every superhero has been drawn naked before

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Finally, Forbush Man totally uncovered!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Update:

https://twitter.com/TerryMooreArt/status/1561442266006298625

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There's a kids thrift store near me that I just dropped a bunch of old baby clothes off at, and noticed they had a stack of Metabearons and Incal comics there lol.
I gave them the heads up that they probably don't want to sell those to a nine-year-old

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Despite making a snide comment about when I first saw it recommended here (to whoever recommended it, sorry), I’ve been listening to Mangasplaining, a podcast largely about making Chip Zdarsky read manga. It’s interesting, but it could be edited to be half the length.

I’ve learned two things: Chip Zdarsky is a pen name and not his real name and his new comic, Public Domain, may have, at least in part, been inspired by the manga Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun. He mentioned in that episode that it had brought up feelings of wanting to make a comic about comics

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

thetoughestbean posted:

Despite making a snide comment about when I first saw it recommended here (to whoever recommended it, sorry), I’ve been listening to Mangasplaining, a podcast largely about making Chip Zdarsky read manga. It’s interesting, but it could be edited to be half the length.

Dunno if you're caught up yet, but all of the "Season 3" (currently running) episodes have been much shorter, to the fact that they're regularly doing 2 books an ep and still coming in around 75-90 a lot of the time.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

secretly best girl posted:

Dunno if you're caught up yet, but all of the "Season 3" (currently running) episodes have been much shorter, to the fact that they're regularly doing 2 books an ep and still coming in around 75-90 a lot of the time.

I’m at the end of season one, that’s great to hear

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Consider giving a few bucks (if you can) to help out Rachel Pollack (Doom Patrol).
https://www.gofundme.com/f/rachel-pollack-needs-your-help?utm_campaign=m_pd+share-sheet&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

https://twitter.com/ComicsintheGA/status/1563184030644056066
Comics are just the best, man.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I hit up an art museum for the 2nd time in my life yesterday. The very first thing I saw I loved the best.

It wasn't until I got home that I saw why.

Warlock!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I was going through a couple boxes of 90’s comics to find some to give to my friends kid who’s comic crazy at the moment, and I found one that is actually worth a little bit of money.

Well it would be if the cover wasn’t bent. Also found all 12 issues of Anne Rice’s Vampire Lestat, something I didn’t know existed or that I owned.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://www.comicsbeat.com/report-graphic-novel-sales-were-up-65-in-2021/?amp

Comics sales were generally up in 2021. Superhero comics specifically only had modest growth, but that’s still growth

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I know I've been able to take time away from hoarding toilet paper and flour to read more comics!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

goddamn. Superhero comics were up 2.3 percent, manga was up 171 percent.

quote:

Categories that were down in 2021 include “Contemporary Women”, down 14%,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpB83chNBQc

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Work in AI generated art has been doing some neat stuff lately. Stable Diffusion just came out recently, and it's a much more accessible version of Dall-E, an advanced intelligence that can add a corgi to any painting. These tools have all essentially been trained on a ton of internet pictures and you can give them a text prompt and (for Stable Diffusion) a starter image and let them go to work.

Comics seem a bit too complicated, but they give it a good try. Here are the results for the prompt A splash panel by Alan Moore for Watchmen

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Since I moved into a place where I can actually have an office, I've been unpacking boxes of stuff I haven't looked at since I was in high school, in particular my Series I-III Marvel Trading Cards. Man, those were so good, they were basically wikipedia in a binder.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

What years were those? The ‘92 set is the genesis of me being a huge comic nerd.

In other news, the owner of my LCS somehow found a copy of the JLA/Avengers trade in his back room, and sold it to me for $40. Don’t know how the hell that happened, but I feel like I cashed in some of my good karma today.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

If memory serves, series 1 was 90, 2 was 91, etc.
Edit: Yeah, there it is-

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 8, 2022

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
The '91 series was what hooked me. There was a whole world in there.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I love these and I bought "a set" on ebay without reading it too closely and am still missing like 10% of the cards. :cry:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Man I was so hooked on getting a full Series 2 and Series 3, but I was just a young teenager. Lottttts of money disappeared from my mom's purse that year.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I was in elementary school at the time, my poor patient grandmother was out there cracking packs so we'd have cards to put in our binders whenever we went to visit.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Since I moved into a place where I can actually have an office, I've been unpacking boxes of stuff I haven't looked at since I was in high school, in particular my Series I-III Marvel Trading Cards. Man, those were so good, they were basically wikipedia in a binder.

I had four binders of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe back when they were doing those as three ring cardstock things. That was some reference material.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

If memory serves, series 1 was 90, 2 was 91, etc.
Edit: Yeah, there it is-

I remember the ‘90 set feeling so old, even only a couple years removed. That swishy banner for the names, and Cyclops was in his original X Factor costume that I had only seen on his initial action figure.

The ‘92 set my dad bought me from a local flea market. I can still remember that the guy had a Michael Jackson’s Moonwalker arcade cabinet at his booth. The Carnage card from that set had him mostly colored black, which was actually kind of neat.

What card set had the heroes favorite movies? Wolverine’s was Logan’s Run. War Machine’s was Robocop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The first set was the one that had rookie cards, right? I remember thinking that the Dan Ketch Ghost Rider rookie card was going to be worth a ton some day. Also lol that they gave Punisher’s van its own card.