Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Still have more sets than I thought I did, maybe I CAN retire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Open Marriage Night posted:

I remember the ‘90 set feeling so old, even only a couple years removed. That swishy banner for the names, and Cyclops was in his original X Factor costume that I had only seen on his initial action figure.

The ‘92 set my dad bought me from a local flea market. I can still remember that the guy had a Michael Jackson’s Moonwalker arcade cabinet at his booth. The Carnage card from that set had him mostly colored black, which was actually kind of neat.

What card set had the heroes favorite movies? Wolverine’s was Logan’s Run. War Machine’s was Robocop.

A lot of the early sets felt old so quickly after they came out because in 92 you had Marvel Masterpiece set hit the market and it was all over. Heavy cardstock. Clean front and back. Art from the likes of Joe Jusko, Boris Vallejo, Julie Bell, among other absolute greats. It absolutely changed the whole game.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
congrats on hitting the comics bought me this new apartment big leagues

site fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 9, 2022

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

RevKrule posted:

A lot of the early sets felt old so quickly after they came out because in 92 you had Marvel Masterpiece set hit the market and it was all over. Heavy cardstock. Clean front and back. Art from the likes of Joe Jusko, Boris Vallejo, Julie Bell, among other absolute greats. It absolutely changed the whole game.

Marvel Masterpieces were great to look at, but the regular Marvel cards had the data that kids needed. I didn’t know who Moon Knight was when I was seven, but with one card I had enough info to be him on the playground.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I remember telling my neighborhood friend who was also into comics that since baseball cards were a thing, and comics were a thing, it was my totally original and unique idea to combine the two into cards for comics characters, and about a year later series 1 of the Marvel Cards hit the shelves and I felt as if I'd been robbed of intellectual property

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Happy Hippo posted:

I remember telling my neighborhood friend who was also into comics that since baseball cards were a thing, and comics were a thing, it was my totally original and unique idea to combine the two into cards for comics characters, and about a year later series 1 of the Marvel Cards hit the shelves and I felt as if I'd been robbed of intellectual property

My brother used to joke that WWE had a mic in our house because two ideas he suggested half jokingly for merchandise ended up being advertised on WWE TV. I can't remember what the other idea was, but one was an actual can of whoopass as an idea to market Stone Cold Steve Austin.

About a month later they were selling it. It consisted of an ashcan with Austin 's logo on it, and inside would have an Austin shirt.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Which card set was it where each marvel character was drawn four times but four different artists. That set ruled. Also I remember a marvel card set that was just drawn by the Hildebrandt's

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/WarRocketPod/status/1569841447385399297?s=20&t=RONY4is7u2VD0HG95iOfdA

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Imagine thinking the metric system is uncool. Outrageous

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tiny Toons is down that low after it got the corporate push down for being a WB (and thus DC) property. But it was so cool, they couldn't justify making it lower.

Also, that would be the 90's Captain America movie for those who don't catch the reference.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
DINKS being the fourth coolest thing is funny to me since my entire adult life I've heard nothing but shame about how young couples aren't having enough kids.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

DINKS being the fourth coolest thing is funny to me since my entire adult life I've heard nothing but shame about how young couples aren't having enough kids.

When people say this what they really mean is the right kind of people aren't having enough kids

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

forkboy84 posted:

Imagine thinking the metric system is uncool. Outrageous

Respeck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCP8kiL3jhA

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I do a movie podcast and I'm gearing up to begin my fourth season. This season I want to talk to people about their favorite movies and I thought I'd get my producer to reach out to comics creators. I plan on asking Evan Dorkin since my friends who host a sister podcast got him no problem and I've been a fan of his since the 90s.

What other comics creators might make for good podcast guests? Taking suggestions here, tia

edit; oh poo poo, oops, sorry about the double post there

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Find someone to talk about Buckaroo Banzai.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

When people say this what they really mean is the right kind of people aren't having enough kids

Yeah but when people say DINKs they also mean what they think of as "The right kind of people"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
What are the excuses that Silver Age DC came up with as to why a story they touted on their covers with wasn't actually canon?

I've got: a dream, a parallel universe, an imaginary story. Were there others?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Robots

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Argue posted:

What are the excuses that Silver Age DC came up with as to why a story they touted on their covers with wasn't actually canon?

I like the ones where they explicitly say "Not a dream, not an imaginary story" on the cover just to gently caress with whoever is forced to write and draw whatever insanity was on the cover.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
"Hoax" was another one. I guess those were canon, but Superman or whoever was faking to trick somebody (usually a random criminal boss).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Was a page from Multiversity that referenced the concept and some common terms.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Argue posted:

Wonder Woman had "impossible strories" involving her teaming up with her teenaged and infant self.

Batman had stories that were just things Alfred wrote.

I can't think of anyone else really having explicitly out of continuity stories...

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Wonder Woman had "impossible strories" involving her teaming up with her teenaged and infant self.

Which led to the Donna Troy conundrum because the guy working on the original Teen Titans comic (Bob Haney I think?) didn't understand that Wonder Girl was just teen Wonder Woman and not Diana's sidekick.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Him and Bob Kanigher, who at one point couldn't keep it straight within the Wonder Woman comic whether WG was a teenage Diana or Diana's teenage sidekick.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Watched Emily the Criminal tonight, a neat little crime caper set against a backdrop of crushing student loans and fees following bullshit felony charges. Aubrey Plaza's great in it and the soundtrack had a low key Drive feel to it. Nice and pacey, and doesn't outstay its welcome. My one complaint is that she doesn't batter the crap out of ***Gina Gershon's*** character.

Ooops, sorry - wrong forum!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
A little snippet of a much longer post from Mark Evanier's blog, about his experiences working on and around the Blackhawk comic back in the day. Can you guess the spoilered name?

quote:

In 2015 as the first step in fulfilling my lifelong dream of becoming Robotman, I had my right knee replaced. During the operation, I somehow picked up an infection and they had to go back in and change out the metal gizmo they'd put in there. This was about as much fun as you'd imagine. And then after I was discharged from a rehab center, a male nurse came to my home every day for two weeks to give me a shot of some antibiotic I couldn't pronounce. Naturally, he noticed all the comic books on the shelves and on the walls and everywhere.

He said to me, "I had a patient ten or fifteen years ago who had comic books all over his home. I think he wrote or drew them or something. But he was the angriest man I ever met in my life. Every time I was there, he was yelling and cursing about something."

I then asked this male nurse, "Uh-huh. And how long did you treat Alex Toth?"

He laughed, amazed that I'd guessed correctly. Then I told him, "That man just might have been the most talented human being you will ever meet. Or at least inject."

https://www.newsfromme.com/2022/09/25/blackhawk-and-me-part-10/

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Opopanax posted:

There's a kids thrift store near me that I just dropped a bunch of old baby clothes off at, and noticed they had a stack of Metabearons and Incal comics there lol.
I gave them the heads up that they probably don't want to sell those to a nine-year-old

I'm reading The Incal now, and it's such a weird thing. It feels like a story that Jodorowsky wanted 1000 pages to tell, but the publisher only gave him 300. It's great, but the story is so incoherent. Practically every panel feels like the launching point for some new substory, nothing can breathe before they introduce something new and forget the last thing. And the dialogue is 90% exposition, almost no character conversations, just everyone explaining what's going on.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm reading The Incal now, and it's such a weird thing. It feels like a story that Jodorowsky wanted 1000 pages to tell, but the publisher only gave him 300. It's great, but the story is so incoherent.

Yes, yes, we know it's a European comic.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm reading The Incal now, and it's such a weird thing. It feels like a story that Jodorowsky wanted 1000 pages to tell, but the publisher only gave him 300. It's great, but the story is so incoherent. Practically every panel feels like the launching point for some new substory, nothing can breathe before they introduce something new and forget the last thing. And the dialogue is 90% exposition, almost no character conversations, just everyone explaining what's going on.

The Incal is a brutally boring read and I think it's mostly worth experiencing for the artwork and the creativity, not for the plot or the character writing. Before the Incal and Final Incal are a lot better in that regard.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

JordanKai posted:

The Incal is a brutally boring read and I think it's mostly worth experiencing for the artwork and the creativity, not for the plot or the character writing. Before the Incal and Final Incal are a lot better in that regard.

Thanks for the tip! I was originally going to dive into those next, but was second guessing that decision about halfway through Incal. As much as I'm enjoying it, I didn't think I'd be ready for more of the weird pacing and storytelling. If they get better, I'll probably get back on board for them now.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

JordanKai posted:

Pretty much. I love Moebius, but Euro comics that aren't 2000AD don't do it for me.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Opopanax posted:

Pretty much. I love Moebius, but Euro comics that aren't 2000AD don't do it for me.

I was mostly joking, but there was that whole branch of completely stylish comics that were also completely incoherent that The Incal and Metabarons really exemplify. I love the beautiful crazy work but they're more like settings and concepts than stories.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Jodorowsky is not one for a straight narrative, no. (and also he's kind of a piece of poo poo which is another reason I'm not into his stuff)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Ahh, cripes. What'd he do? I'm only really familiar with him from his mental movies (which I've never seen) and his connection with Dune. And the comic now I guess.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

If you're going to enjoy any kind of European art from the 70s, music, comics, novels, movies, anything, you pretty much need to just assume and accept that every man involved in the making of that art should be in jail.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

I was mostly joking, but there was that whole branch of completely stylish comics that were also completely incoherent that The Incal and Metabarons really exemplify. I love the beautiful crazy work but they're more like settings and concepts than stories.

Metabarons is 100% distilled insanity:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Ahh, cripes. What'd he do? I'm only really familiar with him from his mental movies (which I've never seen) and his connection with Dune. And the comic now I guess.

I got bad news for you about those movies, especially El Topo.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Alhazred posted:

I got bad news for you about those movies, especially El Topo.

What about El Bottomo?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

If you're going to enjoy any kind of European art from the 70s, music, comics, novels, movies, anything, you pretty much need to just assume and accept that every man involved in the making of that art should be in jail.

Dario Argento is fine, right?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

What spooky comics are people reading for the season?

I've been going through some hella old (very early 90s) Hellraiser books that are interesting to read how it evolves the lore of the Lament Configuration in a different fashion than the movies. The series started after Hellbound but before Hell on Earth. Some of the stories are much more interesting than others so far but it's a lot like reading Dredd progs where if you don't like the current story, another is right around the corner. I especially like how it deals with the human attraction to the box and people's different reactions to solving the puzzle rather than it always being "you have summoned Pinhead." If you can find the original Hellraiser series, it's definitely worth a perusal.

I'm also reading The Empty Man books after seeing the movie. I didn't realize it was a comic before the movie and worse, I didn't realize it was from two of my favorite creators (Cullen Bunn and Vanesa R Del Rey). The comic has some good visuals and an interesting story even if I think I know where it's going after seeing the movie. Also the movie is much better than people gave it credit for and is a good slow creepy burn with a banger of an opening.

I'm thinking of re-reading Severed (I remember that being exceedingly creepy) but beyond that, I'm curious what other people are reading to get in the seasonal mood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Wytches was good. The DC Halloween/horror specials are usually good. Richard Corben's Lovecraft stuff is great if you can find it