Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shageletic posted:

Looking to finally read the Immortal Hulk since alot of people here say its great. What should I reach beforehand? Last thing I read specifically Hulk-wise was World War Hulk and the Hercules run (awesome).

e: I guess I should post this in the recommendation thread.

You're probably fine just reading it. The run does some deep pulls from old Hulk stuff, but explains it well in context. If something in Immortal Hulk perks your curiosity about his history maybe ask here or in the Q&A or in the recommendation thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm putting this in a separate post because I don't mean to call out the previous poster, God knows I've done it myself.

But the idea "oh, before you read this really good comic you need to read all these other comics first" is really loving dumb. I read Bendis' Daredevil before I read Born Again and I was able to accept the premise "All these thugs are pretty drat sure Matt Murdock is Daredevil and that leaks out" without the backstory. Also Kingpin was blind at the start of that and I still have no idea how that happened. But the book still worked for me.

If you hear that a comic is good and you want to read it, just read the comic, don't worry too much about research.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

History of The Marvel Universe would probably be a decent one to get caught up more or less to the status quo Marvel is at during most of Immortal Hulk

Yeah, this poo poo is specifically what I was complaining about. Someone wants to read an amazing bit of fiction and you gave them a research assignment.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

There was that episode of Superman:TAS where Clark is "murdered" by a criminal because of his investigative journalism. Which had a goofy dark ending where the guy figures out that Clark is Superman right in the middle of getting executed.

He's actually murdered by a cop because Clark figured out the cop framed a guy on death row for a murder he committed. IIRC it's the only time capital punishment is mentioned on the show and the only person who suffers it is a corrupt cop.

It's a really good episode.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

I dont think you know how our government agencies work.

Cia murders people
Fbi entraps people.

It's cute you think the FBI doesn't murder people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Hampton

I do think it'd be the FBI trying to murder Clark just because in my head he reports more on domestic things, not like the next coup the CIA is plotting

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 3, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Is Marvel over shipping again I find it really hard to believe there's literally only two DC comics that comic book shops are ordering more copies of than Moon Knight #13.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Opopanax posted:

I'm sure the show gave it a brief boost

Those are July numbers, the show ended in May.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DINKS being the fourth coolest thing is funny to me since my entire adult life I've heard nothing but shame about how young couples aren't having enough kids.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

When people say this what they really mean is the right kind of people aren't having enough kids

Yeah but when people say DINKs they also mean what they think of as "The right kind of people"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Argue posted:

What are the excuses that Silver Age DC came up with as to why a story they touted on their covers with wasn't actually canon?

I've got: a dream, a parallel universe, an imaginary story. Were there others?

I like the ones where they explicitly say "Not a dream, not an imaginary story" on the cover just to gently caress with whoever is forced to write and draw whatever insanity was on the cover.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

If you're going to enjoy any kind of European art from the 70s, music, comics, novels, movies, anything, you pretty much need to just assume and accept that every man involved in the making of that art should be in jail.

Dario Argento is fine, right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I liked American Vampire.

I haven't read it in a decade or so but I've listened to the audiobook and watched the Netflix series more recently and the first couple arcs of Sandman are great horror.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

It kind of blows my mind that a comic book has a soundtrack and the soundtrack is actually pretty good. Looking at the listing for Dark Knight Death Metal and I am wondering why this soundtrack even exists but I am glad it does.

Kieron Gillen would have playlists for a lot of his comics.

Young Avengers
Immortal X-Men
Wicked + Divine

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bulgaroctonus posted:

You know that old trope of people voting for who they’d have a beer with? I think I’d survive a long car ride with this man, so I dunno. Elect him mayor of something :)

I kinda worry he'd explain a lot of the songs to you while they were playing. Like Patrick Bateman and Huey Lewis and the News without the ax murder at the end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

Poor Beak. Was he in much after New X-Men?

He popped up in an early arc of the first Krakoa era New Mutants comic

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Kevin O'Neill has passed away.

well poo poo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I can't think of anything recent that fits, there was Dial H for Hero back when New 52 was a thing, and Warren Ellis had Global Frequency, which was kinda similar.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

We switched to seasonal because someone complained that an ongoing general thread was too unwieldy for newbies, which sure, but I agree.

I thought we switched to seasonal from monthly because the monthly thread would be lucky to eat a fourth page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Todd McFarlane just getting loving roasted by a 12 year old.

https://twitter.com/SpawnArchive/status/1607164988925349891?s=20&t=Ny77PQyI8C7gAWIApXAcXg