Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Late eighties/early 90s Batman writer Alan Grant Hass passed away. For me this is real sad as his Batman stuff was some of the first Batman comics I ever read. A trade of Batman: The Last Arkham was one of the first trades I ever owned. RIP to an underrated legend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I read somewhere that Grant was somewhat instrumental in getting Alan Moore his first start at 2000 AD. Not sure what the connection is but if true that is impressive as well.
More well known is Grant's pet character Anarky, which Grant created to express his own anarchistic leanings (which morphed into techno-anarchy or something like that). I think Grant initially wanted Anarky to be the next Robin but Tim Drake was created/used instead.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Monster by Barry Windsor-Smith won a bunch of Eisners and I just want to recommend it. It's not an easy read at points, and can be very heart wrenching, but it is one of the best graphic novels I have read this year and is really worth checking out.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

thetoughestbean posted:

Also Lore Olympus won best webcomic, which is kind of funny given SA’s general feelings on it

I have no idea what SA's feelings on it are but my wife loves the printed volumes of it. I probably shouldn't ask what SA's feelings on it are.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I heard that Valiant is in some financial troubles and now they have cancelled some books. What's going on with Valiant right now? I was really digging the line about 10 years ago but kind of stopped following it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Which card set was it where each marvel character was drawn four times but four different artists. That set ruled. Also I remember a marvel card set that was just drawn by the Hildebrandt's

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hill House Comics (Joe Hill's imprint at DC) had some solid horror stories. I didn't read all of them but Basket full of heads is a fun 80s style slasher and Daphne Byrne has awesome Kelley Jones art. Also Doll House Family was pretty good horror too.

Infidel is a solid haunted building horror story about a building that feeds on people's racist hatred.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It kind of blows my mind that a comic book has a soundtrack and the soundtrack is actually pretty good. Looking at the listing for Dark Knight Death Metal and I am wondering why this soundtrack even exists but I am glad it does.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lencho posted:

It doesn't have a single death metal track and that makes me so so mad.

It doesn't but the talent it does have on it is kind of wild.

edit: Also I think Lemire put a recommended playlist at the back of every issue of Royal City. Also Ostrander put a recommended playlist/comic inspired by the music of.... at the end of Gotham Knights which was printed in the early 90s.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If you ask him Holy Bible US mix vs Original Mix you might become Gillen's new best friend.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Rereading GMo's New X-Men run and I somehow forgot that they turned Magneto into a full blown Nazi. I now remember that there was some controversy over it but re-reading it now and it isn't even subtle.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

drrockso20 posted:

I love Grant Morrison but they are just inept at writing Marvel stuff for the most part* and their X-Men run opened the gates for all the edgy nonsense Superhero comics have been flooded with for the past 20 years

*the exceptions being Marvel Boy and their work on the Marvel UK Zoids comics

Much like quite a bit of their work I think they have great ideas and come up with great concepts that:

a. don't usually get fully realized
b. don't get picked up and expanded on by other writers

I do like the GMo presented mutants as their own culture and that as a society they were moving pass Xavier and Magneto, but the Magneto reveal just felt really forced and kind of didn't make much sense when you think about it. I remember when I first read the run I would excuse Magneto's actions to kick/sublime, but GMo was also presenting Magneto as a dog who caught the car and didn't know what to do with it. It became very muddled and they really didn't have a great handle on Magneto (I think they even acknowledged this in Supergods).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Poor Beak. Was he in much after New X-Men?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Oh man I remember the old action comic anthology. Wild Dog was in that!!!!

The closest thing DC has now is Batman: Urban Legends but sadly that is all Batman and family orientated.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

ruddiger posted:

anyone have a good list of movies that have a scene that takes place in a comic book store?

Not a movie but Deadly Class had a few scenes in a comic book store and I know this because they filmed it in my comic book store.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
This reminds me of two hilariously bad episodes on two different shows where they had scenes in comic book shops and weird bizarre dialog about comics as if they were some underground dark lurid culture.

The first one being Law and Order SVU where a bunch of nerds dress up as superheroes and fight crime and shockingly one of them is a rapist.

The second being Criminal Minds featuring Frankie Muniz as a graphic novelist who's stuff is just to dangerous and crazy for you norms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
BSS Summer 2022: Endless Summer featuring Dream, Death, and Despair