Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Finally, time for the BSS Summer Swimsuit Special! I've got a lovely one-piece picked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It doesn't make any sense anyway, Thanos's indestructible sphincter would cut Ant-Man in half as he was expanding.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

X-O posted:

Eh, a few posts down he posts a picture of the full shelf and he has two Marvel Mangaverse trades on it. That alone almost cancels out all the good.

Not to mention the Forgotten Realms novels. :v:

I'm glad I'm not the only person who checks out the bookshelves during these talk heads segments.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Finally, Forbush Man totally uncovered!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Since I moved into a place where I can actually have an office, I've been unpacking boxes of stuff I haven't looked at since I was in high school, in particular my Series I-III Marvel Trading Cards. Man, those were so good, they were basically wikipedia in a binder.

I had four binders of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe back when they were doing those as three ring cardstock things. That was some reference material.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tiny Toons is down that low after it got the corporate push down for being a WB (and thus DC) property. But it was so cool, they couldn't justify making it lower.

Also, that would be the 90's Captain America movie for those who don't catch the reference.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Argue posted:

What are the excuses that Silver Age DC came up with as to why a story they touted on their covers with wasn't actually canon?

I've got: a dream, a parallel universe, an imaginary story. Were there others?

Wonder Woman had "impossible strories" involving her teaming up with her teenaged and infant self.

Batman had stories that were just things Alfred wrote.

I can't think of anyone else really having explicitly out of continuity stories...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm reading The Incal now, and it's such a weird thing. It feels like a story that Jodorowsky wanted 1000 pages to tell, but the publisher only gave him 300. It's great, but the story is so incoherent.

Yes, yes, we know it's a European comic.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Opopanax posted:

Pretty much. I love Moebius, but Euro comics that aren't 2000AD don't do it for me.

I was mostly joking, but there was that whole branch of completely stylish comics that were also completely incoherent that The Incal and Metabarons really exemplify. I love the beautiful crazy work but they're more like settings and concepts than stories.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

At the rate Discovery is going, I wonder if DC comics has much time left.

I've been kind of anticipating it for a while. DC is a small footnote on the WB balance sheet and comics have only had corporate value as IP farms for well over a decade. All it would take is one exec going, "Eh, they're comics. Anybody can come up with that stuff," and they're done.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vincent posted:

Why is it that this forums mod isn't named the MODOK?

MODOP or MODOB, surely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RevKrule posted:

Can we please stop losing great artists this year? Please? This time it's Carlos Pacheco.

Relatively young artists, too. :smith: