Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
History of The Marvel Universe would probably be a decent one to get caught up more or less to the status quo Marvel is at during most of Immortal Hulk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, this poo poo is specifically what I was complaining about. Someone wants to read an amazing bit of fiction and you gave them a research assignment.

Eh I'd say you're massively overreacting, History of The Marvel Universe is a pretty breezy six issue mini-series, not some mammoth tome and is plenty entertaining in its own right

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

King Baby posted:

I really wanted to read immortal hulk too. I love binging complete arcs that get a lot of praise but I found out the artist is an antisemite and I’m Jewish so…yeah no thanks.

Just engage in some good old fashioned piracy so he doesn't see a dime

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

We all own some real stinkers. This just shows he’s legit

Exactly, plus while Mangaverse isn't good I'd argue that at least some of the early stuff in it was fun

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Tosk posted:

Are there any good Star Wars comics? I remember reading some back in the day about Darth Krayt and others set in the KotOR era, but couldn't tell you if they were decent or not.

Yeah the old Tales of The Jedi comics were pretty good

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Norwegian Rudo posted:

The Epic Collection is available: New Republic Vol. 5.

Really wish they'd do one of those for Tales of The Jedi, the old Dark Horse collections are stupid expensive

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Two released, apparently one more coming next year.

Well that's news to me, looking it up it's interesting that they decided to fold in Dawn of The Jedi into the Tales of The Jedi banner even though there's a very huge gap in the timeline between them, though that sort of thing does have some precedence with the Infinities volume they did back in 2015 also including The Star Wars

Bit disappointing that volume 1 despite having only been published back in 2020 seems to already be out of print and has become ludicrously expensive already

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Madkal posted:

Rereading GMo's New X-Men run and I somehow forgot that they turned Magneto into a full blown Nazi. I now remember that there was some controversy over it but re-reading it now and it isn't even subtle.

I love Grant Morrison but they are just inept at writing Marvel stuff for the most part* and their X-Men run opened the gates for all the edgy nonsense Superhero comics have been flooded with for the past 20 years

*the exceptions being Marvel Boy and their work on the Marvel UK Zoids comics

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Madkal posted:

Much like quite a bit of their work I think they have great ideas and come up with great concepts that:

a. don't usually get fully realized
b. don't get picked up and expanded on by other writers

I do like the GMo presented mutants as their own culture and that as a society they were moving pass Xavier and Magneto, but the Magneto reveal just felt really forced and kind of didn't make much sense when you think about it. I remember when I first read the run I would excuse Magneto's actions to kick/sublime, but GMo was also presenting Magneto as a dog who caught the car and didn't know what to do with it. It became very muddled and they really didn't have a great handle on Magneto (I think they even acknowledged this in Supergods).

There's also a C) there that I hinted at with their works, that being "other people looking at Morrison's works and focusing on the wrong part of it", in the case of their X-Men run people focused on the large scale violence aspects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Think once we roll over to 2023 we should just do an annual thread considering how bad the mods were at actually switching the threads by season this year, or maybe even just have a permanent general chat thread instead of worrying about seasonal or annual threads