Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Post from a GBS thread:

Cassius Belli posted:

I'm trying to find a 90s (probably) era comic that I picked up in high school and never got to finish. I think I picked this up out of a bargain bin in 2000 or 2001 at the very latest and it was an old-ish comic then. It's probably bad, but it stirred up some curiosity for me and I've never quite been able to let go of the idea.

The comic opens with got a framing story of a bunch of stock fantasy adventurers sitting around in a tavern, swapping stories and drinks while they wait for everyone to arrive (including a mysterious contact, I think).

The first story (or at least the one I remember) is a story about an ancient hero who was enchanted with a magic crystal in his chest, to be the champion of some forgotten god. The crystal would turn into magical armor and a sword when it was needed, when the world was in crisis, and then when the danger was over the crystal would put the hero into suspended animation until he was needed again. This hero is not Crystar, despite every attempt at Googling "crystal armor hero" telling me otherwise.

After many such cycles, the hero asked the god for release, and the next time he was put into suspended animation, he was found and awakened by some pretty lady, fell in love, settled down, etc, until (I think) they grew old and died together. But the crystal remained, waiting for a new hero and the next time it would be needed.

The story itself was not super good, though it was told in this appealing fake-myth style, and I like the Scheherazade-style way it lays up the next story, with another member of the adventuring party showing up and saying, "Oh, are you telling that old story again? Let me share a new one for once..."; I just want to see where it went.

Anyone know it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU