Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Gripweed posted:

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou's first official English release volume is out! For the unfamiliar, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is the story of Alpha, a robot who runs a little cafe on the seaside

The seas have risen a lot from our times, the cities are gone, and there aren't many people left. Life is slow and the people are happy, even if they still occasionally grieve all that has been lost. The simple pleasures of a shared cup of coffee, meeting someone new, or taking a scooter ride down the coast gave life a rich texture and simple beauty. It's a vision of the apocalypse not as a violent death, but a graceful one.

I read YKK ages ago in scans, and this was my desktop background for like a decade

I'm so glad YKK has finally gotten a proper release in North America and more people can read it. It's a beautiful comic, one of the best sci-fi comics ever written, and easily the best comic about gay robots I've ever read.

Gripweed I ordered this on the basis of your recommendation and so far it's very lovely, thanks for pointing it out I'd have never heard of it otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
A lot of the Marvel Star Wars comics are really good. I think all three volumes of Darth Vader have been great-- from Gillen to Soule to Pak-- and Dr. Aphra has also consistently been fun from Gillen to Spurrier to Wong. YMMV a bit more outside of that-- I liked the High Republic stuff, strongly disliked Bounty Hunters-- but I'd vouch for DV and Aphra without many reservations.