Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Yaldabaoth posted:

I'm every bit as paranoid and reactionary as a far right extremist but I'm actually progressive and my hatred and paranoia is directed at rightwingers themselves.
If you're an American and you don't think your politically opposed neighbor would kill you at the first opportunity they got, then you're probably the one who needs mental help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
My brain is constantly trying to come up with puns and dad jokes whenever I'm talking to another human being. Everything they say goes through a little factory where it gets tested for potentially funny references or rhyming. It was pretty bad in my teens and 20s but I'm able to filter it now so that I only mention the good ones out loud.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Yaldabaoth posted:

I'm every bit as paranoid and reactionary as a far right extremist but I'm actually progressive and my hatred and paranoia is directed at rightwingers themselves.

Horseshoe theory at work. People badmouth it because the far right and the far left are diametrically opposed ideologically, obviously, but it’s not about belief, it’s about behavior and tactics they employ that non-radicals and non-reactionaries don’t. You know, ideological purity tests, circular firing squads, terrorism, cell-based organization, a plan to install a vanguard as leaders when the revolution is over. It just means you all look the same to normal people who believe in, you know, democracy.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

I love any kind of stimulation. Drugs, alcohol, sex, smoking like a chimney, vaping like a chimney, going on a shopping spree, eating a metric poo poo-ton of junk food, very loud electronic music, masturbating furiously to satisfy an insatiable sex drive, going down rabbit holes, eating a ton of candy and going into a diabetic coma, finding the perfect TV show and binging it. If I had access to heavy drugs and I was a little more reckless, I would be deep into crack cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine and ecstasy. If I had access to it, I would try extreme sports and car racing. Showing a facade of being a normal functioning adult has been pretty hard.

Oh yeah, my therapist told me well into my 30s I might have ADHD. I guess that explains it.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Jelly posted:

If you're an American and you don't think your politically opposed neighbor would kill you at the first opportunity they got, then you're probably the one who needs mental help.

I really doubt it because the one family of trumpers in my neighborhood allowed me to borrow their extra generator last time there was a power outage. The power came back on before I got it out of their driveway but it’s the thought that counts!

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Lifroc posted:

I love any kind of stimulation. Drugs, alcohol, sex, smoking like a chimney, vaping like a chimney, going on a shopping spree, eating a metric poo poo-ton of junk food, very loud electronic music, masturbating furiously to satisfy an insatiable sex drive, going down rabbit holes, eating a ton of candy and going into a diabetic coma, finding the perfect TV show and binging it. If I had access to heavy drugs and I was a little more reckless, I would be deep into crack cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine and ecstasy. If I had access to it, I would try extreme sports and car racing. Showing a facade of being a normal functioning adult has been pretty hard.

Oh yeah, my therapist told me well into my 30s I might have ADHD. I guess that explains it.

This is normal. Everybody that isn’t like this is a P-zombie.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

I turn bright red when I'm embarrassed, or even caught off guard. If I had a billion dollars, I'd get that surgery where they turn off your blush-response.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Jelly posted:

I have misophonia. It developed after a traumatic event in my 20's.

https://misophoniainstitute.org/

I get irrationally angry about common noises, it rules.

huh.

I think I might have some version of this. That's interesting. I don't think it's severe enough to need treatment, but that's fascinating to find out. Thankfully my trigger isn't 'chewing', but it is interesting that it says it affects people with excellent hearing. Mine is so good I can hear things well enough that are soft or far away enough that others don't believe I can hear it until either I can prove it in some way or the noise grows loud enough for them to hear...

Also I don't want my ankles touching either and thinking about it made them all jibbly. They CAN touch, just not bump into one another...eeeehh.. like nails on a chalk board.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
okay let's stop talking about ankles :v:

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Nigmaetcetera posted:

This is normal. Everybody that isn’t like this is a P-zombie.

Eh, I don't know. It's not a fun pastime, it's literally what my mind and body is constantly thinking about, while doing normal adult activities feels like swimming against the current. Left to my own devices, I would self-destruct in less than a month. It feels like being ferociously addicted to anything ever.

Though to be honest, medicating my ADHD fills that infinite abyss and I can just go on with my day. So thank gently caress for prescription amphetamines.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Lifroc posted:

Eh, I don't know. It's not a fun pastime, it's literally what my mind and body is constantly thinking about, while doing normal adult activities feels like swimming against the current. Left to my own devices, I would self-destruct in less than a month. It feels like being ferociously addicted to anything ever.

Though to be honest, medicating my ADHD fills that infinite abyss and I can just go on with my day. So thank gently caress for prescription amphetamines.

Yeah some people are just born pleasure addicts. From the moment I was born I was looking for a fix. And how to minimize pain. Both, I guess

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I cum blood.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I really doubt it because the one family of trumpers in my neighborhood allowed me to borrow their extra generator last time there was a power outage. The power came back on before I got it out of their driveway but it’s the thought that counts!
Quit devaluing my wild and baseless conjecture.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Oh also, weird nobody mentioned it yet, I got aphantasia.

Apparently people are supposed to see things when they close their eyes? To me it's infinite gray-black. I cannot visualize anything for the life of me. I couldn't picture my mother's face, yet I can recognize people's faces.

I guess that's why I always hated drawing stuff: I know what a horse looks like, but I can't imagine what a horse looks like, I have no loving clue. When people say "imagine you're on a desert island", I nod but of course I can't imagine I'm on a desert island. I'm faking it, dude.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Lifroc posted:

Oh also, weird nobody mentioned it yet, I got aphantasia.

Apparently people are supposed to see things when they close their eyes? To me it's infinite gray-black. I cannot visualize anything for the life of me. I couldn't picture my mother's face, yet I can recognize people's faces.

I guess that's why I always hated drawing stuff: I know what a horse looks like, but I can't imagine what a horse looks like, I have no loving clue. When people say "imagine you're on a desert island", I nod but of course I can't imagine I'm on a desert island. I'm faking it, dude.

Are you under the impression that when 'normal' people imagine something that it displays for them like watching television?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

huh.

I think I might have some version of this. That's interesting. I don't think it's severe enough to need treatment, but that's fascinating to find out. Thankfully my trigger isn't 'chewing', but it is interesting that it says it affects people with excellent hearing. Mine is so good I can hear things well enough that are soft or far away enough that others don't believe I can hear it until either I can prove it in some way or the noise grows loud enough for them to hear...

Also I don't want my ankles touching either and thinking about it made them all jibbly. They CAN touch, just not bump into one another...eeeehh.. like nails on a chalk board.
Mine used to be dogs barking but as I've removed myself from situations where I can't avoid it that one has dissipated. Bass music from cars is a really persistent bad one, and a new one I have is engine noise. That developed from living next to some teenagers with sports cars so now any time I hear a chopper or a Honda with a chopped exhaust I temporarily lose my mind. Off-day fireworks are also really bad (I can deal with the 4th because it's expected).

Recently started CBT therapy this year and it's probably reduced the severity of my reaction by half. If you can also identify a physical "tell" (mine is my heart racing), it can help you acknowledge what is happening before it happens.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Big Beef City posted:

Are you under the impression that when 'normal' people imagine something that it displays for them like watching television?

If there is a name for "aphantasia" it means people must be experiencing something different than I and these other poor sods do.

"Aphantasia is the inability to voluntarily create mental images in one's mind", says Wikipedia, though apparently there's "Hyperphantasia" which is the opposite. Those ones must have literally a television in their head.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

Looking it up it seems more nefarious. Like, he knows what a horse looks like when he sees it, but when he's not looking at one or an image of one he completely forgets what they look like?

I think the "closing the eyes" thing might throw people off because it really appears to be unrelated aside from eliminating other sensory input.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Certainly, and I didn't want that to come of as a critical question, the topic fascinates me and I'm interested to know, is all. I also don't want to derail the discussion TOO much, but I have to ask;

So, you say you recognize a horse, or what your mother looks like. And so you definitely know "That is the shape, size, and color of a horse." and if I asked you, right now, to tell me, in words, "What is the general shape, size, and an appropriate color of a horse?" could you answer those questions?

If you can, in what way can you not remember a horse that you have seen (or alternatively, if I asked you the same about, say, features of your mom's face. 'What does her nose look like? What color is her hair?', etc)

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
No witnesses. Never.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Big Beef City posted:

Certainly, and I didn't want that to come of as a critical question, the topic fascinates me and I'm interested to know, is all. I also don't want to derail the discussion TOO much, but I have to ask;

So, you say you recognize a horse, or what your mother looks like. And so you definitely know "That is the shape, size, and color of a horse." and if I asked you, right now, to tell me, in words, "What is the general shape, size, and an appropriate color of a horse?" could you answer those questions?

If you can, in what way can you not remember a horse that you have seen (or alternatively, if I asked you the same about, say, features of your mom's face. 'What does her nose look like? What color is her hair?', etc)

Yes, I can answer these questions about a horse. But I can't see it. I remember the feeling of seeing a horse, but no vision of it. It's like a shadow: you can make out what it's representing, but the details are completely lost on you.

I tried asking people "imagine a kid playing with a ball. What are they wearing? Describe the ball." Most people I've asked can answer, whereas I can imagine the feeling of seeing a kid playing with a ball, but there is no visual sensation.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Lifroc posted:

Yes, I can answer these questions about a horse. But I can't see it. I remember the feeling of seeing a horse, but no vision of it. It's like a shadow: you can make out what it's representing, but the details are completely lost on you.

I tried asking people "imagine a kid playing with a ball. What are they wearing? Describe the ball." Most people I've asked can answer, whereas I can imagine the feeling of seeing a kid playing with a ball, but there is no visual sensation.
Deleting some dumb comments from this.

What you're describing is not irregular to me. Or, maybe I have aphantasia. But I'm pretty sure nobody can conjure images in their brain at will except for those hyperphantasia people. I wonder if that's related to "photographic memory". I also wonder if they're commonly artists.

I am not a doctor or medical expert.

I think what really needs to happen here is you need to draw a horse from memory and share it with us. Your ball comparison is the only things that reads a bit off. Like reading that I could believe people with aphantasia simply have a really difficult time relaying their unique experience to others and convincing them (i.e. me) that it's abnormal. But that ball would be shapeless / colorless for me as well unless I was consciously told to assign it specifics. But then I could. Maybe you can't?

If I was to say "picture a big red ball" you couldn't do that? It doesn't have to be something solid, but just a general feeling / image of a big red ball in your head?

Jelly fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 28, 2022

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
I can't sleep under a heavy quilt. I especially hate it when it's touching my back. Feel like I'm suffocating.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Nowher posted:

I can't sleep under a heavy quilt. I especially hate it when it's touching my back. Feel like I'm suffocating.
I use a weighted blanket that weighs about 50 pounds. Would that make you insane?

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Jelly posted:

I use a weighted blanket that weighs about 50 pounds. Would that make you insane?

Yeah that sounds..not good.

Don't even get me started on a top sheet, boy I sure the feeling of being mummified when trying to sleep.

It's the first thing I remove when staying at a hotel.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Jelly posted:

Deleting some dumb comments from this.

What you're describing is not irregular to me. Or, maybe I have aphantasia. But I'm pretty sure nobody can conjure images in their brain at will except for those hyperphantasia people. I wonder if that's related to "photographic memory". I also wonder if they're commonly artists.

I am not a doctor or medical expert.

I think what really needs to happen here is you need to draw a horse from memory and share it with us. Your ball comparison is the only things that reads a bit off. Like reading that I could believe people with aphantasia simply have a really difficult time relaying their unique experience to others and convincing them (i.e. me) that it's abnormal. But that ball would be shapeless / colorless for me as well unless I was consciously told to assign it specifics. But then I could. Maybe you can't?

If I was to say "picture a big red ball" you couldn't do that? It doesn't have to be something solid, but just a general feeling / image of a big red ball in your head?

This is exactly what I was getting at.

I don't SEE a big red ball either. I can imagine the memory of a big red ball. I know what one looks like. I can describe it to you.
I can imagine a child playing with one, and if I was being creative I could tell you, the child is wearing a striped shirt. But I cannot ever 'see' it. I get no visuals from it. I simply am thinking about a child in a striped shirt with a red ball. I have no visual sensation of that, only what that scene could be.

Like, if I asked you, "In star wars, when Darth Vader is attacking Luke and reaches out to him and asks him to give him his hand" Can you tell me what color the back ground is behind them? Can you tell me the posture Darth Vader is in? In other words, can you describe something visual from memory.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 28, 2022

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

This is a really fun thought-inspiring exchange. I love the Vader exercise. It would be really interesting to have a bunch of people describe that memory, and then compare it to the real thing.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Big Beef City posted:

This is exactly what I was getting at.

I don't SEE a big red ball either. I can imagine the memory of a big red ball. I know what one looks like. I can describe it to you.
I can imagine a child playing with one, and if I was being creative I could tell you, the child is wearing a striped shirt. But I cannot ever 'see' it. I get no visuals from it. I simply am thinking about a child in a striped shirt with a red ball. I have no visual sensation of that, only what that scene could be.

Like, if I asked you, "In star wars, when Darth Vader is attacking Luke and reaches out to him and asks him to give him his hand" Can you tell me what color the back ground is behind them? Can you tell me the posture Darth Vader is in? In other words, can you describe something visual from memory.

I can kind of bunge together a image of a kid in a striped shirt playing with a red ball (or whatever) on demand - it gets floaty when I try to get at the details, like remembering a dream, but it's conceptually like faking up a memory of seeing a photo.

For some reason he's in the driveway of the house one of my friends used to live in; not sure what that's about.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
since a few people have mentioned ADhd ocd and meds has anyone done vyvanse? i just got it prescribed and all it seems to do is make me extremely irritable to the point where i cant even interact with people. getting real loving sick of my broke rear end brain

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
i have none at all.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have the same thing OP. If I do a left thing I gotta do the matching right thing. It sucks.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i have none at all.

I reckon I can interpret this 3 ways-

1. You're being literal and you mean it, in which case boooooo, that's boring

2. Your claimed lack of quirks is your quirk

3. Your username! I mean it's right there!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Computer viking posted:

I can kind of bunge together a image of a kid in a striped shirt playing with a red ball (or whatever) on demand - it gets floaty when I try to get at the details, like remembering a dream, but it's conceptually like faking up a memory of seeing a photo.

I'd say that's a pretty good description of 'imagining what it looks like' for most people, yeah

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

isaboo posted:

I reckon I can interpret this 3 ways-

1. You're being literal and you mean it, in which case boooooo, that's boring

2. Your claimed lack of quirks is your quirk

3. Your username! I mean it's right there!

They're just bullshitting.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Vegetable posted:

I have the same thing OP. If I do a left thing I gotta do the matching right thing. It sucks.

I just scratched my head on the left and had to do it on the right

Sometimes if I feel an itch on my right arm, I scratch both arms in the same way at the same time to balance it from the get-go

I've been doing both a lot more today since I made this thread. Maybe it was a bad idea :v:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I absentmindedly make sounds sometimes. Like a water drop noise with my mouth.

Not all the time, and not in an inappropriate situation like a meeting or something (usually)

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I like to sniff women's panties

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I like to sniff women's panties

While they're wearing them, or?

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

The Bloop posted:

While they're wearing them, or?

Ask your mother!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
If there’s a hanging light in a room and I can reach it, I have to tap it….with my finger