Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Ask your mother!

Joke's on you

She never wears any

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Always put on right sock before left sock, and always put on right shoe before left shoe

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Big Beef City posted:

They're just bullshitting.

beefy :allears:

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I walk everywhere moving like the Bushwackers on WWF

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

isaboo posted:

I also eat snacks in even numbers and of similar size. If I have a handful of potato chips, I group them into pairs based on size. This is usually only a thing when I'm not fully occupied, like when I'm just surfin' the web or playing a simple game.

I alternate between the right and left side of my mouth when chewing a bite of food. I vaguely recall at some point in childhood where I noticed that I was only chewing with the right side of my mouth, and I decided that would lead to uneven wear. Thus, alternating bites. If I have an odd number of things, like say grapes, I will bite the last grape in half so that it can be evenly distributed. Also, the first bite is always on the right side of my mouth.

I feel anxious if anyone leaves cupboards open - I’m pretty sure my wife does it just to gently caress with me now.

I hate sound from cell phone speakers unless it’s my own phone. It just sounds tinny and awful - even when I know it’s no different than mine. I can deal with the sorts of sounds that come built into the OS - keyboard clicks and notification blips and made-for-purpose ringtones. But a song, or worse, a video? Nope nope nope. This is obviously a me-problem, so I don’t tell anyone.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Oh!
I have another one of my own that I thought of. I guess this falls into 'quirk' category.

I am 40 years old. I have never once in my life experienced 'brain freeze'. I can eat ice cream, drink milk shakes, and slam home slushies as much, and as fast as possible and I have never yet once experienced the phenomenon people describe to me that they get from even eating 1/2 a bowl of ice cream too quickly, or whatever. I don't do it often, and don't remember the last time, but I have even put this to the test. Eating TOO much ice cream, quickly, on on purpose, and even holding it against the roof of my mouth with my tongue for a while at times while eating it, to try and induce the effect. Nada.

That is what will get me on Professor X's team of Marvelous Men.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Blue Moonlight posted:

I alternate between the right and left side of my mouth when chewing a bite of food. I vaguely recall at some point in childhood where I noticed that I was only chewing with the right side of my mouth, and I decided that would lead to uneven wear. Thus, alternating bites. If I have an odd number of things, like say grapes, I will bite the last grape in half so that it can be evenly distributed. Also, the first bite is always on the right side of my mouth.

I feel anxious if anyone leaves cupboards open - I’m pretty sure my wife does it just to gently caress with me now.

I hate sound from cell phone speakers unless it’s my own phone. It just sounds tinny and awful - even when I know it’s no different than mine. I can deal with the sorts of sounds that come built into the OS - keyboard clicks and notification blips and made-for-purpose ringtones. But a song, or worse, a video? Nope nope nope. This is obviously a me-problem, so I don’t tell anyone.

I also do the even chewing thing, and bite things in half to make it right

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
used to have an OCD thing where I would think of a word and I would need to figure out - okay if I typed this on a keyboard is the number of left hand keys equal to the number of right hand keys?

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
*Just waves vaguely all around, at my post history and at this entire forum, in general*

Y'know?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm a really good speller (I won the regional spelling bee in 7th grade and never missed a word on any school test, ever :v: ) and I think the reason why is because I've always broken words up into even numbered groups of letters if it will work

those words with an odd number of letters can gently caress right off

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I count steps, mostly in groups of twelve. Count to twelve then start over. I try to end a flight of stairs with the last step being number twelve. Left foot is odd numbers, right foot is even. Been doing it for a long as I can remember, including when I played high school baseball. Running the bases is a bit weird when your brain only wants to count steps.

Also, the volume on the radio in my truck must be adjusted in increments of two. My wife will often set out on 7 or 9 while I’m not looking. I can tell. I swear to you I can tell. FIX IT WOMAN!

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
sleeping? I'm absolutely pulling that sheet over my head with just a tiny mouth / nose hole to breathe through

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Also, the volume on the radio in my truck must be adjusted in increments of two. My wife will often set out on 7 or 9 while I’m not looking. I can tell. I swear to you I can tell. FIX IT WOMAN!

For me, the volume must be divisible by 2 or 5.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Harald posted:

sleeping? I'm absolutely pulling that sheet over my head with just a tiny mouth / nose hole to breathe through

I did this a lot as a kid, it really is the best way to hide from the monsters

I don't do it much anymore mostly because my crazy wife pulls everything off of me onto her

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I mean really, its the dinosaurs you gotta worry about moreso than the monsters.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Harald posted:

I pull the sheet taught over my face by bending one arm above my head and kinda tucking it around my forearm. Makes a sort of tent over my face.

I think this mostly comes from growing up in the subtropics and trying not to leave any exposed skin for mosquitoes. Mosquito nets aren't 100% and gently caress if I'm getting bitten on the face.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
I am constantly grooming my face and I hate being aware of how it must look to other people. I mean like, brushing the tip of my finger around my ear to keep it clear of wax or dead skin- same with the skin on my lips. If i feel like a single tiny speck of my lips are chapped, I'm nibbling at it or plucking it off. Brushing the base of my nostrils every few minutes just to make sure nothing gross is showing. Rubbing the corners of my eyes in case there's little granules or whatever.

It's gross and I hate that I do it.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

I only have 1 pair of footwear, outside it's either combat boots or when it's nice & sunny like on these days, nothing. I know this makes me a weirdo, it's just interesting and relaxing to walk barefoot on stone or coarse ground for some reason, I can't really explain it.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Grab Im Moor posted:

I only have 1 pair of footwear, outside it's either combat boots or when it's nice & sunny like on these days, nothing. I know this makes me a weirdo, it's just interesting and relaxing to walk barefoot on stone or coarse ground for some reason, I can't really explain it.

Alright here's mine. I hate being barefoot. I hate sandals. I hate feet in general.

Though I don't mind all the foot fetish that's become common place these days. I don't have it, but I guess it's pretty normal. I mean, I love a good pair of slender feminine hands though I don't masturbate furiously to well manicured hand models.

Back to the point: fetishists and I in a way we both agree: gently caress feet.

EDIT: American tourists walking barefoot in Central London are imbeciles and should be deported.

Lifroc fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 28, 2022

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Lifroc posted:

EDIT: American tourists walking barefoot in Central London are imbeciles and should be deported.

Is this...like...a thing?
I'm American and nobody goes around barefoot here in public so...what's the deal?

e: Unless you mean you consider wearing sandals 'barefoot' or something, but that's the wrong use of the word, so I dunno what you're seeing.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Lifroc posted:

Alright here's mine. I hate being barefoot. I hate sandals. I hate feet in general.

Though I don't mind all the foot fetish that's become common place these days. I don't have it, but I guess it's pretty normal. I mean, I love a good pair of slender feminine hands though I don't masturbate furiously to well manicured hand models.

Back to the point: fetishists and I in a way we both agree: gently caress feet.

Same. I almost never walk around barefoot, because it feels like I'm making things (floors) gross by virtue of the fact that my feet are touching them. Same thoughts if other people do it. It's not even a practical concern, like "their feet have dirt on them and they are tracking dirt around." It's as if feet are inherently gross. Sort of like, I imagine that the bacteria that makes them smell is now on everything they've touched. Which is more or less true, I guess, but sane people are better at ignoring it.

The punchline? I also happen to be really into feet. So if they're attached to a pretty woman, every podal sin is forgiven.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I put my finger between my rear end at the top and rub and smell it mmmm

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Big Beef City posted:

Is this...like...a thing?
I'm American and nobody goes around barefoot here in public so...what's the deal?

e: Unless you mean you consider wearing sandals 'barefoot' or something, but that's the wrong use of the word, so I dunno what you're seeing.

No, I've seen on multiple occasions pale faced obviously American tourists just walking barefoot on the naked pavement when it's hot outside. Both in London and other touristy areas. I've always thought it a weird cultural quirk people over there have.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Lifroc posted:

No, I've seen on multiple occasions pale faced obviously American tourists just walking barefoot on the naked pavement when it's hot outside. Both in London and other touristy areas. I've always thought it a weird cultural quirk people over there have.

Literally no one does this what are you talking about

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Big Beef City posted:

Do you literally know everyone?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
americans actually hate being barefoot so much they wear shoes in their house !!!

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Big Beef City posted:

I found this from a simple google search: https://onestep4ward.com/tuesdays-travel-rant-barefoot-backpackers/

There you loving go

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Grab Im Moor posted:

Same. I'm always barefoot, and I keep a pair of flip-flops and old shoes in my car in case I go into a public building.

I can handle temperatures from about 45-95F:; hot pavement doesn't bother me much. Surprisingly, my feet aren't that calloused. I walk or run at least 5 miles every day.

I just like feeling the earth and I know my feet are healthier for it.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

isaboo posted:

Same. I'm always barefoot, and I keep a pair of flip-flops and old shoes in my car in case I go into a public building.

I can handle temperatures from about 45-95F:; hot pavement doesn't bother me much. Surprisingly, my feet aren't that calloused. I walk or run at least 5 miles every day.

I just like feeling the earth and I know my feet are healthier for it.

Here's another. I hate you for going barefoot but I love you because your story supports my point.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

You barefoot weirdos probably have worms

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Flowers for QAnon posted:

You barefoot weirdos probably have worms

Fun fact I heard on NPR, no idea if true:

Southerners of old gained a reputation for being lazy because of anemia, caused by getting worms from going barefoot.

In the deep south, it doesn't get cold enough to kill off the creepies, so people who used outhouses would pick up the worms.

Northern folk didn't have that problem and just assumed Southern people were lazy.

There was more to that story but that's all I remember.

Fwiw, I've never had worms that I know of

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL

runnypoops posted:

since a few people have mentioned ADhd ocd and meds has anyone done vyvanse? i just got it prescribed and all it seems to do is make me extremely irritable to the point where i cant even interact with people. getting real loving sick of my broke rear end brain

I was on Vyvanse along with Adderall, Effexor, busPIRone, and Depakote.

The Vyvanse was to help my brain not tell the rest of my body to fall asleep as I have narcolepsy. It's usually prescribed for migraines and ADHD I guess, but the side effect is keeping you away. Maybe the side effect is doing that to you, making your brain think you're not tired when you are? I haven't been on it for a year since I've been able to stop falling asleep while driving now.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

1. I used to sneeze almost every time I came and sometimes it would trigger a series of back to back uncontrollable, violent sneezes. Not little delicate "achoo" sneezes, but like physically worn out after 12-15 trying to push your brain out your nose sneezes. Kind of like the same worn-out feeling you get after vomiting but from sneezing.

2. I'm the most chill person irl until someone crunches an empty water bottle (the paper-thin bottles). There's something about that sound that just irritates the hell out of me.

3. In public stalls, I always remove one leg from my shorts or pants and drape them up over the other leg until I'm finished with the transaction. This started after an incident 20+ years ago when I had to crap really bad, hurried into a stall, and after I pulled my pants up I found out the seat of my pants were wet from the puddle of someone else's piss I didn't notice in my rush to sit.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Harald posted:

I started doing this after I was awakened in the middle of the night by my cat chewing lightly on my eyelids.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

americans actually hate being barefoot so much they wear shoes in their house !!!

Nah, that's just white people.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Where the hell were your pants that the seat was in a puddle? I can't figure out the configuration that would make that possible

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I get a brutal sneezing fit whenever I go outside into bright sunlight. I've heard it is an inherited reflex to keep one from looking at the sun.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

isaboo posted:

I have an irresistible urge to make bad threads.
:same:

HD DAD posted:

I do the thing where when I suddenly remember a cringey moment from my past I compulsively start cursing under my breath as if to force the thought from my brain

gently caress gently caress poo poo gently caress gently caress poo poo gently caress gently caress gently caress
I have a similar thing but it's with any thought that gives me anxiety in general, and if it's too intense I start to mumble random words.

The hyperphantasia chat was really interesting, I'd like to see the goons that said they have aphantasia try to draw something from memory as well.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Kirk Vikernes posted:

3. In public stalls, I always remove one leg from my shorts or pants and drape them up over the other leg until I'm finished with the transaction. This started after an incident 20+ years ago when I had to crap really bad, hurried into a stall, and after I pulled my pants up I found out the seat of my pants were wet from the puddle of someone else's piss I didn't notice in my rush to sit.

Can you produce a drawing? I find this fascinating.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

isaboo posted:

I get a brutal sneezing fit whenever I go outside into bright sunlight. I've heard it is an inherited reflex to keep one from looking at the sun.

Yes, it's a gene inherited from neanderthals millions of years ago for people born so stupid that they don't know not to look at the sun,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

isaboo posted:

Photic sneeze reflex