Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Pretty much all of the novel scenes that were missing in the first movie are spread throughout the movies at this point. The first 3 almost filled it out on its own (aviary, compys taking out Stormaire instead of Hammond, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Jurassic World feels too mean to me, especially within the context of previous entries to the series. The way the movie drags out killing the au pair/nanny/assistant makes it seem like the director thinks she deserves her fate.

To me, though, the solution to this is that there should have been half a dozen similarly over-the-top kills. Because you're right it comes off as some sort of judgment to have just this one lady get so thoroughly wrecked by the dinos. But if you have more of them, that's no longer an issue. And in general, the movie could have used more time with park patrons and ordinary employees being terrorized, rather than the indistinguishable mercenaries. That's the wasted opportunity with the whole the-park-is-open conceit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They cut out the scenes that made her worse but Colin’s point was they’ve never killed a woman in Jurassic park so the death has to be spectacular to mark this monumentis occasion!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Darko posted:

Pretty much all of the novel scenes that were missing in the first movie are spread throughout the movies at this point. The first 3 almost filled it out on its own (aviary, compys taking out Stormaire instead of Hammond, etc.)

The only thing that hasn't been adapted, basically, is Gennaro and a drunken Muldoon shooting at dinosaurs with a bazooka.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

CelticPredator posted:

My list is

1. Jurassic Park

There really isn't any reason to see any of the others.

I liked Jurassic Park 3 as a kid though

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Timby posted:

The only thing that hasn't been adapted, basically, is Gennaro and a drunken Muldoon shooting at dinosaurs with a bazooka.

My Return to JP idea included that, drunkenly taunting Raptors at a fence, and Dodgson’s death from The Lost World novel where he gets pushed out from under a car and eaten.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Darko posted:

Time to mine his other books for ideas. Have a villain be attacked, with a dinosaur ostensibly biting his dick off, but then we later see that he's perfectly fine because he has a tiny tiny penis.

Sir Kodiak posted:

To me, though, the solution to this is that there should have been half a dozen similarly over-the-top kills. Because you're right it comes off as some sort of judgment to have just this one lady get so thoroughly wrecked by the dinos. But if you have more of them, that's no longer an issue. And in general, the movie could have used more time with park patrons and ordinary employees being terrorized, rather than the indistinguishable mercenaries. That's the wasted opportunity with the whole the-park-is-open conceit.
While I do still think it being drawn out like that for multiple kills would be annoying/kinda not fitting for the franchise, it being drawn out like that for a character whose only crime was being saddled with a job she's not super fond of is definitely the main issue.

If you weren't gonna add a ton of excessive deaths like that, at least just have that one go to Claire and have the assistant step up to the plate and be a real protector after poo poo goes down. As Claire's assistant, she'd be perfectly placed to do basically anything Claire does at a later point anyway.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Claire and Chris Pratt's characters were written in Jurassic World like someone had a Barbie doll and an action figure and some dinosaur toys and holding them as they were coming up with the dialogue. They seem to have no human qualities other than the most generic necessary.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Time to mine his other books for ideas. Have a villain be attacked, with a dinosaur ostensibly biting his dick off, but then we later see that he's perfectly fine because he has a tiny tiny penis.
-a treacherous horny incompetent and unprofessional FEMALE dinosaur tries to seduce the protagonist but after she sucks his dick he comes to his senses and leaves, whereupon she falsely accuses him of rape which everyone else believes because Political Correctness Has Gone Too Far.
-the inscrutable alien and unstoppable japanese seek to dominate the american business sphere's dinosaur theme park
-something about murderous gorillas with ineffectual CGI and slipshod practical effects that is saved by ernie hudson having the time of his loving life on camera.

Darth Brooks posted:

Claire and Chris Pratt's characters were written in Jurassic World like someone had a Barbie doll and an action figure and some dinosaur toys and holding them as they were coming up with the dialogue. They seem to have no human qualities other than the most generic necessary.
I think the only thing that would've even partially redeemed Chris Pratt's character and his lack of character for me would've been him ever openly acknowledging just how much he'd hosed up at any point by, you know, being deeply complicit in most of the Bad Ideas that caused poo poo to happen, like training deadly and chimpanzee-smart animals like dogs for a morally bankrupt entertainment complex exploiting the world's most powerful biotechnology while also trying to gently caress his boss.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Was the nanny's death in JW worse than Richard Schiff in Lost World?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Violator posted:

They're about equal for different reasons but I give an edge to Schiff because the entire situation leading up to it feels way more personally apocalyptic and brutal.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Violator posted:

The assistant's is way worse in how its shot/fits within the rest of the movie.

Drakyn posted:

I think the only thing that would've even partially redeemed Chris Pratt's character and his lack of character for me would've been him ever openly acknowledging just how much he'd hosed up at any point by, you know, being deeply complicit in most of the Bad Ideas that caused poo poo to happen, like training deadly and chimpanzee-smart animals like dogs for a morally bankrupt entertainment complex exploiting the world's most powerful biotechnology while also trying to gently caress his boss.
Know what? They should've had a Psycho style fake-out in terms of who the main characters were and have both Pratt and Howard get eaten right when poo poo turns bad.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Her death scene is good and more karmic dinosaur justice sequences should be that over-the-top. The movie is just boring and uncreative overall and this is a easy point to latch onto in discussing that.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The nanny death is weird because it's insanely violent and elaborate compared to the rest of the movie, then nobody mentions her after that. The entire Jurassic World trilogy is so bloodless and unmemorable, but this feels like something from a straight-up dinosaur horror movie.

She did nothing wrong in the movie (I know deleted scenes show her being lovely to the kids or whatever) so being brutally killed by multiple dinosaurs makes it feel like they hated the actress or something.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

They're about equal for different reasons but I give an edge to Schiff because the entire situation leading up to it feels way more personally apocalyptic and brutal.

Yeah, I’ve always felt Schiff’s was more brutal. He’s working his rear end off to save people (who are being sarcastic about his efforts!), has an extended terrifying trying to hide sequence, then gets ripped in half and devoured by a pair of t-rexes.

I haven’t seen JW in a while, but wasn’t the nanny grabbed by a series of increasingly large dinosaurs until she gets swallowed whole by the giant croc dino? That felt like a “oy there’s always a bigger fish!” joke.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BiggestBatman posted:

Her death scene is good and more karmic dinosaur justice sequences should be that over-the-top. The movie is just boring and uncreative overall and this is a easy point to latch onto in discussing that.
It's not karmic though, is the thing. As for your second point, I felt it sucked the moment it happened. If I'm latching on to it it's because that scene is worse than the movie is boring. Or at least it is to me. Guess I'm not really sympathetic to presenting the death of someone whose greatest moral failing was being a bit rude and inattentive as karmic justice while her far more morally compromised boss gets to be heroic.

Violator posted:

Yeah, I’ve always felt Schiff’s was more brutal. He’s working his rear end off to save people (who are being sarcastic about his efforts!), has an extended terrifying trying to hide sequence, then gets ripped in half and devoured by a pair of t-rexes.

I haven’t seen JW in a while, but wasn’t the nanny grabbed by a series of increasingly large dinosaurs until she gets swallowed whole by the giant croc dino? That felt like a “oy there’s always a bigger fish!” joke.
She gets dragged into the sky by a pterosaur who in no world would be able to do that, then both are eaten by the mosasaur.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

A Fancy Hat posted:

The nanny death is weird because it's insanely violent and elaborate compared to the rest of the movie, then nobody mentions her after that. The entire Jurassic World trilogy is so bloodless and unmemorable, but this feels like something from a straight-up dinosaur horror movie.

She did nothing wrong in the movie (I know deleted scenes show her being lovely to the kids or whatever) so being brutally killed by multiple dinosaurs makes it feel like they hated the actress or something.

There was originally a subplot in the film, where the older brother is a bully to his autistic younger brother and a general shithead.

In that context, the violence against the babysitter is an explosion of misogynistic psychosexual violence unleashed by the monster, which acts as the bully’s dark counterpart. Note the reference to Hitchcock’s Birds, and the otherwise-pointless detail that the monster killed its own brother(!!!). Seeing the horror of the fantasy made real would scare the bully straight and lead to him being a better sibling.

This was actually a key component of the narrative, since it’s also the ostensible point of the two leads becoming surrogate parents at the end. Kid became a bully because his parents are getting divorced. Without the bullying subplot, ghastly things just happen without narrative.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The bit in JW where they release the raptors and have the big hero motorcycle scene, followed by the raptors having a conversation with the I-Rex and changing sides is absolutely hilarious. Just perfect comedic timing and execution of the gag.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
We all know Dennis Nedry died to a pack of dilophosaurus. What this movie presupposes is maybe he didn't.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

There’s should have been a half dead Dennis Nedry in a Snoke tube in this movie. He has become the barbasol can.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Drakyn posted:

-a treacherous horny incompetent and unprofessional FEMALE dinosaur tries to seduce the protagonist but after she sucks his dick he comes to his senses and leaves, whereupon she falsely accuses him of rape which everyone else believes because Political Correctness Has Gone Too Far.

These Chuck Tingle book titles are getting wilder and wilder.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Shiroc posted:

The bit in JW where they release the raptors and have the big hero motorcycle scene, followed by the raptors having a conversation with the I-Rex and changing sides is absolutely hilarious. Just perfect comedic timing and execution of the gag.

I find it funnier when the raptor teams up with the TRex to beat the giant genetic monster dinosaur and then the raptor gives the TRex a good job, sis, nod and then runs off.

I always found the Lost World death more brutal because he dies JUST as over the top as the long crazy rescue sequence that precedes it. That whole sequence from start to finish is one of Spielberg's best-ever action constructions and capping it off with the two dinosaurs flipping him and tearing him in half is a perfect cap to it. And Eddie Carr didn't just do "nothing wrong"; he died specifically because he risked himself saving everyone.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Jurassic World feels too mean to me, especially within the context of previous entries to the series. The way the movie drags out killing the au pair/nanny/assistant makes it seem like the director thinks she deserves her fate.

Sir Kodiak posted:

To me, though, the solution to this is that there should have been half a dozen similarly over-the-top kills. Because you're right it comes off as some sort of judgment to have just this one lady get so thoroughly wrecked by the dinos.

A Fancy Hat posted:

I'm obviously in the minority here (and I've only seen Jurassic World once, like, seven years ago so that scene's not exactly fresh in my memory) but it strikes me a little backwards (or maybe overly cynical) to be horrified by a horrific scene and presume you had the wrong reaction to it. I know Carol J. Clover "Men Women and Chainsaws" and all that but Jurassic Park in particular is not a series that expects you to cheer when people are violently eaten.

In general I feel like most "schadenfreude" deaths in movies tend to be tamer than most specifically so you won't feel horrified by them. The ones that come immediately to mind for me - Burke in Aliens, Ludlow in The Lost World, Nedry in Jurassic Park - actually all happen off screen, in fact.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Darko posted:

I find it funnier when the raptor teams up with the TRex to beat the giant genetic monster dinosaur and then the raptor gives the TRex a good job, sis, nod and then runs off.

That was also a good joke, along with the Mosasaurus suddenly jumping out to eat the I-Rex instead of finishing the actual fight. The movie was great whenever it leaned into being goofy.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Darko posted:

Yeah but they’re all in lovely JP movies instead of an actual good one

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Jesus people still can't get over the assistant lady's death. It's been like 10 years.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah but they’re all in lovely JP movies instead of an actual good one

Lost World is excellent. It's basically Spielbergs Gremlins 2 to Jurassic Parks Gremlins 1. Like 10 percent of people understood that at the time and now it's just nostalgia opinions, sadly.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

banned from Starbucks posted:

Jesus people still can't get over the assistant lady's death. It's been like 10 years.

SHe was someone's daughter you dick

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Darko posted:

I always found the Lost World death more brutal because he dies JUST as over the top as the long crazy rescue sequence that precedes it. That whole sequence from start to finish is one of Spielberg's best-ever action constructions and capping it off with the two dinosaurs flipping him and tearing him in half is a perfect cap to it. And Eddie Carr didn't just do "nothing wrong"; he died specifically because he risked himself saving everyone.

At least the one in World was kind of earned. How about Dominion, where the T-Rex gets its rear end beat by The Jokersaurus Rex, only for it to get stabbed by a tickle chicken, and then they roar over its corpse while triumphant music plays because I guess it's in Rexy's contract that she needs to go over?

The Jurassic World trilogy was written by someone who is hellbent on apologizing for Jurassic Park 3.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

banned from Starbucks posted:

It's the most interesting part of the movie.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I'm obviously in the minority here (and I've only seen Jurassic World once, like, seven years ago so that scene's not exactly fresh in my memory) but it strikes me a little backwards (or maybe overly cynical) to be horrified by a horrific scene and presume you had the wrong reaction to it. I know Carol J. Clover "Men Women and Chainsaws" and all that but Jurassic Park in particular is not a series that expects you to cheer when people are violently eaten.

In general I feel like most "schadenfreude" deaths in movies tend to be tamer than most specifically so you won't feel horrified by them. The ones that come immediately to mind for me - Burke in Aliens, Ludlow in The Lost World, Nedry in Jurassic Park - actually all happen off screen, in fact.
I'm using the original Jurassic Park as a baseline, and the closest death in terms of presentation is the lawyer - except he runs away from the children he's supposed to protect and suffers the consequences, while the assistant is just switching to protection mode and gets a drawn out death scene.

As for the off screen deaths part, I'd mention that Muldoon gets one too. "Classy" deaths are not limited to the villainous.

Darko posted:

I feel like the last bit is precisely why it works. His heroism comes from accepting enormous risk, an enormous risk which is underlined by the brutality of his death. If the assistant's death was the result of her acting heroically it would come off a lot better.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
JP2 also has the scene where the T-Rex chows down on some family's dog and is downright gleeful in the way it dispatches InGen mooks.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 18, 2023

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The one T-rex (human) kill in the first movie involves an extended sequence of the greedy lawyer dying on the shitter

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
We rewatched FK a few months back and god drat is that movie well-directed, especially the opening scene which is intense as balls and genuinely scary and the whole sequence of the destruction of the island. RIP to my fallen hero Brachiosaurus who just wanted a space on the boat, that scene was sad as hell :(

It's such a shame that the screenplay is so punishingly, relentlessly awful and particularly falls apart in the final act with the evil men auction in the super-secret dinosaur zoo in the basement that the baddie somehow managed to build in complete secrecy. What exactly are these bad men going to do with these dinosaurs that aren't good for anything and cost millions just in maintenance and care? What in the everloving gently caress is the point of a gun that you have to point at a target and pull the trigger for the dinosaur to attack, can't you just use a normal gun?? They couldn't think of a better way to dispatch of Buffalo Bill other than him tiptoeing up to the particularly dangerous dinosaur to attempt to extract a tooth, then acting all surprised and horrified when this backfires!

There's also a truly hilarious scene at the end in which Owen and Blue more or less just have a candid conversation, complete with Blue tilting her head towards the escaping dinosaurs like this is the final scene of Rise of the Planet of the Apes and she's telling him that she's found his home. That's one of the things that really grated me about JW and FK; the Raptors go from terrifyingly intelligent and well-organised in comparison to other animals to basically of equal intelligence to human beings.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 18, 2023

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Alright I finally went and reviewed a clip of the scene in question to see what I can make of it with fresh eyes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE3OYwFhleg). I don't think any schadenfreude is intended but I think I may know why it comes off that way to some folks, because there are competing interests at work here: it's trying to sell horror and spectacle at the same time.

My impression is that the lengthy death scene is a genuine attempt at evoking horror and sympathy from the audience: without it you're just left with the sight of pandemonium at a theme park, which is inherently ironic and easy to read simply as comedic, so they need something to sell the danger. There's a limit to how much gore or number of deaths they want to show, so instead they go for a protracted and frightening death scene to do the job. This is a fate that is so bad it made you feel for a character you didn't even like; that's what these kids are up against.

The thing is the scene is obviously also intended to be a gratuitous special effects and creature showcase. It's rather spectacular to see the camera follow this woman as she's quickly hurled into the air, dropped into the water, and then picked back up again only to have both her and the pteranodon unexpectedly swallowed by a massive, leaping prehistoric water creature.

It's sort of like watching a circus where the acrobats ends up falling to their deaths but the ringleader and production just carry on like nothing happened. I think the ambivalence is interesting but I can see why people might look at it and feel like the movie "doesn't care" about the woman's suffering.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Also I'm noticing the Youtube account that uploaded the vid is called "Vore in Media" and the description has a bunch of short keyword-like tags like "Hard, Fatal, Oral, Malicious, Bite Size, Fun Size, Female Pred" and am starting to wonder what their intentions with this video were... :birdthunk:

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Ha ha. Well, at least we know one person appreciated that death scene. Perhaps too much.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate it

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

As for the off screen deaths part, I'd mention that Muldoon gets one too. "Classy" deaths are not limited to the villainous.

Don't forget Ray Arnold. Just trying to turn the power on...

Lost World had all the people on the ship that were eaten offscreen.

The stepdad or whatever died in JP3 (ugh, every death in that movie was just badly directed and uninteresting)

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Darko posted:

The stepdad or whatever died in JP3 (ugh, every death in that movie was just badly directed and uninteresting)
It's sort of weird to think how many people died from LW to JP3 without us ever even remotely finding out what the hell happened to them. Whole boat full of mystery corpses ala Dracula; two guys succumb to random murder mist, the man who died immediately after turning his camera off while trying to hop eight feet down out of a tree...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I think the mystery boat was supposed to be full of raptors but got cut due to time/budget